Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

short selling another failing bank #2 to cover the losses that you hold in failing bank #1 is classic 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

TDepressionEarl posted:

investors also can make money when the shares drop off short selling

oh my god what has Reddit been talking about while we've been doing this? have they started screaming about short squeezes yet?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

raminasi posted:

you keep saying "for nothing" like that's not the way that depository banking is expected and relied upon to work. when i deposit money in a bank, i expect to be able to get it back "for nothing," because it's a bank.

if i deposit money in an uninsured account in FartBank, I do not get money back. If I deposit money above the insured value in an account in FartBank, I do not get money back above the insured value. They are getting preferential treatment that I would not get. They are absolutely getting it "for nothing".

quote:

the $250k insurance limit is just kind of an arbitrary one, it's not magic or special. would you support raising the insurance limit to ten billion dollars? because that would cause the same outcome for depositors.

isn't FDIC insurance covered by premiums? presumably those premiums would skyrocket if the insured amount limit went to 10 billion dollars?

in any case it appears the insurance limit does get raised to ten billion dollars arbitrarily, if sufficiently well connected people get distressed! not for me though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

markets seem convinced that all the banks collapsing heralds an imminent return to near-zero interest rates and are already pricing it in

lol
lmao

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think the people poisoned by train derailments fueled by corporate greed should just have gotten health insurance and better insurance for their houses if they wanted to be made whole. If the government or red cross helps them, then they should take ownership of their homes and possibly health once we figure out how to do that exactly.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

MononcQc posted:

I think the people poisoned by train derailments fueled by corporate greed should just have gotten health insurance and better insurance for their houses if they wanted to be made whole. If the government or red cross helps them, then they should take ownership of their homes and possibly health once we figure out how to do that exactly.

it is an inherent gamble to live in Ohio

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TDepressionEarl posted:

the large uninsured depositors are also 100% safe

they're only safe from interest rate risk on government bonds. that's still nowhere near as good as what small depositors already had. this isn't what "preferential" means.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

i didn't go to college because i knew my loans wouldn't be forgiven

i'm not a real computer toucher feel free to run me out of yospos on a derail

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

MononcQc posted:

interestingly enough most ordinary people affected by corporate greed are in fact left to fend for themselves.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mila kunis posted:

interestingly enough most ordinary people affected by corporate greed are in fact left to fend for themselves.

well specifically in this instance with SVB, ordinary people are not affected, because their employers (who weren't the irresponsible bankers nor investors) got their payroll covered so they're not out of a job

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ironically, jp morgan (but not any of the other big 4) was out of this because they were greedier, and wanted more than the dog poo poo yields in the pandemic, so they stayed in cash. so in some large part it was also insufficient greed and not enough yield chasing

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

MononcQc posted:

take ownership of their homes and possibly health

the government takes ownership of my health?

no the insurance company owns my health. how this works in america is i would go into bankruptcy because i can't pay my family's hospital bills.

and then the bank takes the house and the land. because i can't pay the hospital bills.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mononcqc is canadian

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mononcqc is canadian

lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

MononcQc posted:

well specifically in this instance with SVB, ordinary people are not affected, because their employers (who weren't the irresponsible bankers nor investors) got their payroll covered so they're not out of a job

sounds good. i hope they keep their jobs as well, and also their employers are forced to give up equity for the bailout they're getting. luckily for you this will never happen

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
looks like schwab ate the circuit breaker too

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mila kunis posted:

if i deposit money in an uninsured account in FartBank, I do not get money back. If I deposit money above the insured value in an account in FartBank, I do not get money back above the insured value. They are getting preferential treatment that I would not get. They are absolutely getting it "for nothing".

yes...you would? that's the whole point? if you, right now, had money over the fdic limit at some random bank, and that random bank were at risk of failure because of interest rate risk on its long-term bond holdings, then that random bank would use the new fed borrowing mechanism to avoid insolvency, and you'd be able to withdraw your entire account. that's why they're doing this, so that you - a random depositor who hasn't bothered to audit the bank you chose - don't have to worry about your money vanishing because of something you have no knowledge of or control over.

i agree that they're getting it "for nothing." i'm saying that that's the point. that's how banks are supposed to work, for everybody.

mila kunis posted:

isn't FDIC insurance covered by premiums? presumably those premiums would skyrocket if the insured amount limit went to 10 billion dollars?

in any case it appears the insurance limit does get raised to ten billion dollars arbitrarily, if sufficiently well connected people get distressed! not for me though.

and now i get to ask my real question: why do you think fdic insurance exists?

raminasi fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 13, 2023

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

looks like schwab ate the circuit breaker too

what is actually happening with all this? it sounds like the fed fixed the issue exposed by the failure of SVB with the loan program, why is the stock market freaking out?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

contagion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
because the fed fixed it in part by making the shareholders eat poo poo. which is fine, but it means that the rational thing for shareholders on any of this is to run the gently caress away. like squishing carpet bubbles

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stock market believes SVB could be a signal of broader troubles in the entire banking system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's almost like running our whole rear end economy through a volatile stock exchange has some downsides :confused:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you also cannot prevent banking runs by having the president come out and say everything is fine. there is no way for that to be associated with everything being fine. the core part of not having a bank run is not thinking about bank runs. its basically like that game of not thinking about white elephants but for keeps

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FCKGW posted:

stock market believes SVB could be a signal of broader troubles in the entire banking system.

well only with the stuff they hold shares of i.e. "contagion to my money"

other banks go down just because sectors as a whole always go down like this, and I guess that some of them might get forced to buy out other banks and idk pay a bit short term to do it?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you would have been unironically better served by having kanye go up and do some kanye poo poo and then the president gets in a beef with him like obama did or some poo poo like that

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

so it's just generalised panic and some people thinking that fed bailouts for shareholders were priced in?

this sure is a dumb system we have

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
how much trading volume on any given day is hedge fund robots anyway

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the fast robots do market making for liquidity, they dont do trades with risk in them. there are slower robots that do that but the vast movements have to be approved by people

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

because the fed fixed it in part by making the shareholders eat poo poo. which is fine, but it means that the rational thing for shareholders on any of this is to run the gently caress away. like squishing carpet bubbles

it's this, there's basically no reason to be a shareholder in the bank from a "make money quick" perspective. most people are not interested in voting control or whatever, they just want the number to go up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

too big to fail: yospos edition

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

too big to fail: yospos weightlifting thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do depositors normally get the fdic rules changed to get all their >$250k money after a bank failure? i can see on the fdic website that hundreds of banks have failed in the past 20 or so years, and they say you will not get any more than the insured amount. but what normally happens?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fart simpson posted:

too big to fall: yospos weight loss thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they take a haircut after assets get unrolled

this time, there were so many uninsured deposits throughout the financial system there would have been huge withdrawals to get insured, which would have been big enough to cause runs on their own...

not that this necessarily prevented the huge withdrawals. only the act of not thinking about bank runs can really prevent that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they take a haircut after assets get unrolled

this time, there were so many uninsured deposits throughout the financial system there would have been huge withdrawals to get insured, which would have been big enough to cause runs on their own...

not that this necessarily prevented the huge withdrawals. only the act of not thinking about bank runs can really prevent that

neuralink can’t come fast enough…

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i tried to look up stats, the intent of the system is that regulators step in well before depositors are harmed, but no idea how often that fails to happen.

it is also for sure perfectly normal that some effort is expended to stabilize things, this is not some weird aberration in that regard.

i feel it might also be worth pointing out that e.g. cuba and china also have banking systems not that radically different from anyone else, but despite being much further left they have failed to adopt as their signature policy to let poo poo fail and tell depositors to screw themselves.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

neuralink can’t come fast enough…
That's probably more of a head shaving than a haircut

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i tried to look up stats, the intent of the system is that regulators step in well before depositors are harmed, but no idea how often that fails to happen.

it is also for sure perfectly normal that some effort is expended to stabilize things, this is not some weird aberration in that regard.

i feel it might also be worth pointing out that e.g. cuba and china also have banking systems not that radically different from anyone else, but despite being much further left they have failed to adopt as their signature policy to let poo poo fail and tell depositors to screw themselves.

nice whataboutism

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

nice whataboutism

you have exclusive rights to that gimmick, enforce it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the intent of the system is that regulators step in well before depositors are harmed, but no idea how often that fails to happen.

the former head of SVB lobbied for and received weakened regulations. i don't know the details of what changed well enough to make a judgement on whether or not it would have prevented its collapse, but it seems likely. it also seems like federal regulations for most mid-sized banks (which are actually systemically important) were defanged to the point that you now have state regulators (i.e. in new york re: signature) stepping in to do the needful instead

probably bad, but i'm no expert in this kind of thing