Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
mrs made me watch the series because she loves sherlock holmes and lol, i absolutely can not remember individual episodes of that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

mrs made me watch the series because she loves sherlock holmes and lol, i absolutely can not remember individual episodes of that show

Did she / you watch ELEMENTARY, the far superior Modern Day Holmes? One of the only TV shows I've watched the whole run of more than once.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I watched all of them and enjoyed them when they were new but the only one that was actually good was the first one with the cabbie

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did she / you watch ELEMENTARY, the far superior Modern Day Holmes? One of the only TV shows I've watched the whole run of more than once.

we did not, i hadn't heard of it until now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lucy liu is dr joan watson and its good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Fool posted:

I watched all of them and enjoyed them when they were new but the only one that was actually good was the first one with the cabbie

i think i've seen all but the last series. there was just no point in going back for more

i like martin freeman and cumberbatch is okay, but god it got bad.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

we did not, i hadn't heard of it until now

Ah I think you're in for a fun time, I will never not love Johnny Lee Miller as the twitchy acerbic Holmes in this

The Fool posted:

Of course LL is also really good in the role, the partnership they develop is just :discourse:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah I think you're in for a fun time, I will never not love Johnny Lee Miller as the twitchy acerbic Holmes in this

Of course LL is also really good in the role, the partnership they develop is just :discourse:

The Fool posted:

i'll check it out

martin freeman was ok in it, so was benedict cumberbatch. like a lot of modern series it really wasn't the acting that was bad, which misleads people into believing that its a good series

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Also the HBOMBERGUY rant about CumberLock that was in YouTube limbo for ages due to a fake takedown is back online now and worth a watch if you really hated what the show turned into. (the video is 1hr50 long though)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

martin freeman was ok in it, so was benedict cumberbatch. like a lot of modern series it really wasn't the acting that was bad, which misleads people into believing that its good

I blame moffat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

i'll check it out

martin freeman was ok in it, so was benedict cumberbatch. like a lot of modern series it really wasn't the acting that was bad, which misleads people into believing that its good

the problem with writing a mystery show about a man who solves mysteries through logic, deduction, and observation is you have to write decent mysteries. this poo poo can't be murder, she wrote, it's not going to loving work

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

the problem with writing a mystery show about a man who solves mysteries through logic, deduction, and observation is you have to write decent mysteries. this poo poo can't be murder, she wrote, it's not going to loving work
Sherlock Holmes is actually a man who solves mysteries through always magically being right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk why it got the praise it did really. cumberbatch is okay in it, but he's not great, ditto freeman. i don't even remember who played holmes' sister. the stories were usually fine enough too, and usually executed well enough, but given an absolutely stupid "modern" spin that ruins it

i guess that can be pretty misleading to some people? it probably seems like a good show if you don't think about it at all

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

will echo that sherlock went of the rails quick. first episode was great, and then some of season 1 was ok, but i gave up quick after that. meanwhile elementary is way less ambitious in most ways, but is a perfectly pleasant watch throughout.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

The Fool posted:

I blame moffat

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
hot priest as moriarty was pretty good, but it really poo poo the bed at the end of season 1 and then got worse.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
Elementary sounds cool, gonna give that a shot

Granada Holmes will always be first in my heart though

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
also, I recently went on a binge through great Hammer horror films and the Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing owned

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psiox posted:

Elementary sounds cool, gonna give that a shot

Granada Holmes will always be first in my heart though

i will expand on the "unambitious" to say that it has the sheen of cheaply serialized american drama all over it. i liked it, but i am a huge sucker for sherlock holmes for some reason.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
elementary is not a perfect show by any means it’s still very much a police procedural sherlock holmes but yeah both johnny lee miller and lucy liu were great in it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

peter cushing is an excellent villain and it's a shame he's most well known today for being a digital puppet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

Sherlock Holmes is actually a man who solves mysteries through always magically being right

jessica fletcher syndrome

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Re: Elementary; disclosure as with 99.9% of detective shows its very pro-cop, which will probably hit different these days. Still good, but yeah that might be a hangnail that rubs on you when you watch it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in the books at least, sherlock holmes generally had a very low opinion of the police

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ehh, i'll check it out because my wife is a sucker for holmes stuff

i like mysteries and i like the book series, but i haven't read them all. shes a turbonerd for that poo poo though lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i got a big honkin omnibus edition about a decade ago that had a few i hadn't read before.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chat reminded me I put the full run of BrettHolmes on my PLEX for a friend late last year, I think I'll watch through them myself.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this is just reminding me that moriarty is gonna pop up on picard any day now lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welp.

we tried.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao, can't escape it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

personally, i blame public domain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the only memorable thing about Sherlock was Moriarty. he fuckin owns and I wish he had his own Moriarty series

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't think i'd watch rick and moriarty

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that new d&d movie that is coming out in a couple of weeks has a fun easter egg in the background of one of the scenes

yep those are the characters from that awful 1980s d&d saturday morning cartoon show. they still havent made it home :(

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mystes posted:

I think really only the first episode was at all decent. It probably should have been a movie or something rather than a tv series.

Honestly the first episode was where I knew this was going in a dissatisfying direction. It ends with the minor villain of the episode being forced to give up the name of his employer and he cries "Moriarty!" and, great, I guess Moriarty is some season-spanning supervillain in this one. I guess there's going to be ongoing continuity and an arc. So much for the basic premise of Sherlock Holmes...

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

infernal machines posted:

jessica fletcher syndrome

https://www.pentadact.com/2014-08-08-the-formula-for-an-episode-of-murder-she-wrote/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Doom Mathematic posted:

Honestly the first episode was where I knew this was going in a dissatisfying direction. It ends with the minor villain of the episode being forced to give up the name of his employer and he cries "Moriarty!" and, great, I guess Moriarty is some season-spanning supervillain in this one. I guess there's going to be ongoing continuity and an arc. So much for the basic premise of Sherlock Holmes...

moriarty is generally what ruins every sherlock holmes adaptation. people have this weird obsession with him and shoehorn him into everything, even though he's actually a fairly irrelevant minor character in the original books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm choosing to believe when they filmed that, the script just said "director yells directions at Benedict" and what we got was that happening in realtime

"TWITCH YOUR HAND"

"SWIPE!"

"SWIPE!"

"AAAAAAAAND RUINED ORGASM"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

"move along home" aired 30 years ago today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XvrpEx6H4

allamaraine! :toot: