Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the moon, which is safely away from us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

The moon, beautiful!
The sun, even more beautiful!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Potato Salad posted:

for now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe they should stop reporting these thefts with dollar values. report them in flooz or apes or whatever the original currency was and see who gives a gently caress about how many e-coin bits were stolen

no dollars were stolen and there's no longer even a theoretical way to exchange these things for dollars outside of meeting a guy in an arby's parking lot with a usb stick

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Potato Salad posted:

robert heinlein's the moon is a findom

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm sure molly white isn't unaware of that, and she probably realizes that's what divabot does

but i think it's also just to make it more accessible to people who don't understand the nuance (by completely removing it, but still)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

maybe they should stop reporting these thefts with dollar values. report them in flooz or apes or whatever the original currency was and see who gives a gently caress about how many e-coin bits were stolen

no dollars were stolen and there's no longer even a theoretical way to exchange these things for dollars outside of meeting a guy in an arby's parking lot with a usb stick

In an Arby's parking lot
Hurry up with my drat fiat!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1635623195284758533

You can't say the man was wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm sure molly white isn't unaware of that, and she probably realizes that's what divabot does

but i think it's also just to make it more accessible to people who don't understand the nuance (by completely removing it, but still)

it's kinda my point though, people care about a flashy headline about the theft of hundreds of millions of dollars

no one cares about the theft of 300 million quatloos except the idiots holding quatloos. these constant thefts and scams and whatever are quite literally irrelevant to anyone that operates in the real world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

loving hoisted

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

it's kinda my point though, people care about a flashy headline about the theft of hundreds of millions of dollars

no one cares about the theft of 300 million quatloos except the idiots holding quatloos. these constant thefts and scams and whatever are quite literally irrelevant to anyone that operates in the real world

well yeah, i get both perspectives there: it genuinely doesn't matter to most people, but on the other hand, that also means people won't care to read about it, lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Escape From Noise posted:

The moon, beautiful!
The sun, even more beautiful!

oh yeah? :rolleyes:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

What about the theft of 300 million alleged dollars?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Just a Moron posted:

the abduction of 300 million unborn dollars

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hammerite posted:

we're very clever everyone, let us tell you about our cleverness. we named ourselves after a prominent historical mathematician, that's just how clever we are. what do we do? well we spunk people's money into cryptocurrencies and lose it all. in very clever ways

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just a Moron posted:

yeah just put "alleged" or "supposed" in front of the dollar "values"

e: "ostensibly"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah just put "alleged" or "supposed" in front of the dollar "values"

e: "ostensibly"

!$ for "not dollars"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

it's not irrelevant. it's pretty loving funny. that's why it's important to put the theoretical dollar amount

this isn't hard

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the people involved believe they lost that amount, which makes it more funny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boxturret posted:

the people involved believe they lost that amount, which makes it more funny

they do, but they're idiots, which is why their variously denominated virtual assets are now "away from them"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...! posted:

it's not irrelevant. it's pretty loving funny. that's why it's important to put the theoretical dollar amount

this isn't hard

it's roughly as funny as the slow kid on the playground getting their pogs stolen, except someone at some point paid actual dollars for those pogs

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

it's roughly as funny as the slow kid on the playground getting their pogs stolen, except someone at some point paid actual dollars for those pogs

yeah, that’s why it’s funny

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Potrzebie posted:

I was told 1BTC=MOON.

1BTC is worth two pale butt cheeks.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

gotta hand it to him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

also the slow kid has spent the past several years crowing about how he's smarter and richer than everyone because he has pogs

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

the difference here is that the "slow kid" tends to spend all his time pretending he's smarter than all the other kids, telling them they'll die poor while he'll be richer than god, and being a greedy gently caress you got mine piece of poo poo

also those pogs are like the shittiest looking pogs anyone has ever seen and i mean what the gently caress where did you even manage to find something so goddamn ugly and why do you keep repeating you actually like them for the art even those goddamn alf pogs that dweeb kid brought were better than this jesus christ

e:f;b

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

kalensc posted:

:hmmyes:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

kalensc posted:

by the criminal barack hussein obama III

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the dollar value is pertinent in many ways, for example in calculating personal taxes or being charged with a more serious crime.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
report the cost basis

I imagine these days it’s significantly higher than market value

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

1BTC is worth two pale butt cheeks.

the bit that rugs the buttcheeks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kalensc posted:

haha money clinic go abrrrrrrrrrrt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol EA people throwing sam under the bus https://time.com/6262810/sam-bankman-fried-effective-altruism-alameda-ftx/

it's not a very good article. tl;dr: sam is untrustworthy, they knew this and said nothing

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao

Shaq is in hiding trying to duck a subpoena to get sued for shilling FTX

comedy option is he gets served on the set of NBA on TNT live on the air

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beeftweeter posted:

lol EA people throwing sam under the bus https://time.com/6262810/sam-bankman-fried-effective-altruism-alameda-ftx/

it's not a very good article. tl;dr: sam is untrustworthy, they knew this and said nothing

"Who is John Galt" - Effective Altruists ft. Baha Men

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

I don't see any contradiction in the actions of the "the ends justify the means, as long as we get paid" philosophers to be honest.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

demanding an immediate halt to all Matt Levine vacation days, until we can figure out what the hell is going on

https://twitter.com/WaltHickey/status/1635702220170592263

e: or ordering Matt Levine on permanent vacation , I guess that’s the responsible move but seems far less fun

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's an interesting idea. I think it requires follow-up research focusing specifically on the companies covered in the newsletter in the days prior to the vacation rather than the general market conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

being thrown under the bus by the ea people is like being denounced by the nazis, sbf continues to be a good source of surprisingly positive comedy.