Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

there are actually secure ways to have work email, vpn and other access without enrolling in mdm

that increases friction switching between personal to work and costs money though

like what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
there are sandbox apps that will create a data partition for work stuff (e.g. workspace one from vmware)

outlook also sandboxes its own content and bypasses mdm unless you have it enforced

technically mdm still exists, but only within the sandbox, and a remote wipe just wipes the sandboxed content

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
doesnt android work profile keep work from snooping your phone already and keep the "work" side secure?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

there are sandbox apps that will create a data partition for work stuff (e.g. workspace one from vmware)

outlook also sandboxes its own content and bypasses mdm unless you have it enforced

technically mdm still exists, but only within the sandbox, and a remote wipe just wipes the sandboxed content

yeah I have some experience with older versions of WS1 (on-prem and mostly pre-vmware, not the saas offering) but havent touched it in a while. i thought the siloed/"partial" mdm thing was somewhat common although I dont have any experience using it as an admin or an end user so I'm not sure what the experience is like. that might be worth looking into though. i didnt know that about outlook though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the friction in switching between personal and work systems could easily be eliminated by enforcing a clear 9-5 work rule and not expecting people to be 100% available at all times of the day

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Crow posted:

doesnt android work profile keep work from snooping your phone already and keep the "work" side secure?

that's the pitch, yeah. i assume it works since nobody's been shouting to the rooftops that it doesn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have Slack on my phone so I can go run errands during the workday and not have people blocked on me. it’s a decent QOL trade, since it only notifies me 9-5.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blackberry’s remaining phone product!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
who?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a company in a film set in the clearly made up city of Waterloo, Ontario
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_(film)?wprov=sfti1

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I have Slack on my phone so I can go run errands during the workday and not have people blocked on me. it’s a decent QOL trade, since it only notifies me 9-5.

yeah same.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Question from a friend: Is there a security key that exists that supports U2F and FIDO2, has a fingerprint scanner and NFC or BT?

hot take: security keys with fingerprint sensors are a meme

The sensor isn’t exposed to the host you’ve connected it to, so you can’t use it to do biometry like windows hello or anything

Just get a NFC with the right ports and call it a day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Hardback posted:

The sensor isn’t exposed to the host you’ve connected it to, so you can’t use it to do biometry like windows hello or anything

Just get a NFC with the right ports and call it a day

yeah, that matches my threat model just fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

ports?

Edit: oh I guess you mean NFC + usb-a or usb-c?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mystes posted:

ports?

yeah get the usbc or usbA nfc depending on what things you need to plug it into and you’re done

adding the fingerprint reader really doesn’t provide any additional security IMO

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

ports?

radio-usb, when it shows a usb type-b silhouette on the oscilloscope

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Crow posted:

Yes.

And vice versa, wiping the work profile doesn't touch the personal profile.

[ASK] me about learning I was laid off by my work partition disappearing by itself.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Yes.

And vice versa, wiping the work profile doesn't touch the personal profile.

[ASK] me about learning I was laid off by my work partition disappearing by itself.

what was musk like in person

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Having a work phone would make my life infinitely better from an IT security aspect of it all, and the whole company's for work life balance stuff, but when I bring this up everyone gets mad because everyone gets an $80 stipend for their phone every month.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rick posted:

Having a work phone would make my life infinitely better from an IT security aspect of it all, and the whole company's for work life balance stuff, but when I bring this up everyone gets mad because everyone gets an $80 stipend for their phone every month.

lol I would too if you wanted to make me trade $80 a month for that

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
even the $30/mo i got (back in 2014) was enough to keep me from getting a proper "work" phone

though in that case they wanted to give me an expensive piece of poo poo and ensure that if anything happened to it, the full price was 100% my liability

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

80 bucks a month is enough to get a subsidized decent phone and good enough data plan for work only, isn't it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it should be unless you live in like clownada and data plana costs $200/mo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it should be unless you live in like clownada and data plana costs $200/mo

I'm in Canada and my entire phone plan, incl. 50GB data, costs (slightly) less than $80/mo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Midjack posted:

80 bucks a month is enough to get a subsidized decent phone and good enough data plan for work only, isn't it?

I can get a 5g unlimited plan for 20€/month and an iphone 14 for 30€/month (33 installments) easy so yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Midjack posted:

It is but unfortunately I did not ever consider that before.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

even the $30/mo i got (back in 2014) was enough to keep me from getting a proper "work" phone

though in that case they wanted to give me an expensive piece of poo poo and ensure that if anything happened to it, the full price was 100% my liability

It was 30 bucks for most of my time there but they did up it to 80 in 2022. It is for phone/internet/travel.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Quackles posted:

I'm in Canada and my entire phone plan, incl. 50GB data, costs (slightly) less than $80/mo.

my unlimited phone plan costs 14 euro for unlimited data + 15 euro for unlimited voice/text

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I have a work phone for the same reason. I don't even turn it off when I'm at home since I work with decent human beings, but not having the option of leaving it behind seems so hair brained. I'm a filthy euro commie I guess.

Zamujasa posted:

LOL. best way to make sure it never stays with you unless it 100% has to.

We just hand out whatever iphone SE apple currently offers and call it a day.

Midjack posted:

But people will want to pocket the money and just use whatever POS they already own, which can't be MDM'ed properly.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 14, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

We just hand out whatever iphone SE apple currently offers and call it a day.

But people will want to pocket the money and just use whatever POS they already own, which can't be MDM'ed properly.

:nice:

I'd rather trust the SE with Touch ID than the fancier phones with Face ID

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I'd rather trust the SE with Touch ID than the fancier phones with Face ID
I'm still masking p much everywhere in indoor public places so yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm still masking p much everywhere in indoor public places so yeah.

my 14 works pretty well doing masked unlock in combination with the watch

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Hardback posted:

apparently this one works with Hello, per its spec sheet and light internetting

https://www.trustkeysolutions.com/security-keys/g320h/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

my 14 works pretty well doing masked unlock in combination with the watch
It works pretty well because it'll unlock on pretty much any face for as long as you wear the watch, yes.
I don't have an apple watch.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
At my work we offer to buy everyone a latest iPhone (maybe not the pro one, no one is taking work pictures) and a separate plan. Most people just instead port their number to our plan, but we don't really bother people or have SHTF moments outside of business hours.

I mainly use my separate phone as a way to dial out to vendors without giving them my personal details, something that could be accomplished with a $10 app. Every coworker I'd want to contact me on my personal phone since I'm not taking the work one out of my backpack most days.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rick posted:

youd have to pay me 8000 bucks a month to put work email on my phone lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
not even six figgies

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

not even six figgies

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

It works pretty well because it'll unlock on pretty much any face for as long as you wear the watch, yes.
I don't have an apple watch.

huh, I haven’t tested it on other faces, I should try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
is it normal for my it dept to install both crowdstrike and bitdefender on my laptop

don’t they do the same thing?

this poo poo is taking over 3gb of ram ffs

e: bd is doing a full scan since they just installed it so I guess that’s most of the problem there but I’m so tired of this crappy endpoint protection poo poo

e2: full scan done, still losing like 2.5gb of r and 25% of my cpu to this. jfc.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 14, 2023