Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

being thrown under the bus by the ea people is like being denounced by the nazis, sbf continues to be a good source of surprisingly positive comedy.

like the time zoophiles refused to be associated with some nft thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

When Will Sam Bankman fry?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Escape From Noise posted:

When Will Sam Bankman fry?

he'd better learn to bake first

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
he's already fried

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

infernal machines posted:

like the time zoophiles refused to be associated with some nft thing

I must know the story behind this

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I must know the story behind this

i think its just that in general furries respect their artists enough to not want their art stolen. this was back when the main nft thing was scraping artists albums and uploading all the images as nfts without their consent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there was a specific and since deleted tweet from someone whose profile suggested they were a bit more than just a furry, distancing from an nft project someone @'d them on, because they didn't want to be associated with nfts

it's in this thread, maybe a year or so back, but as i said, the tweets were deleted

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

he's already fried

in his case, those "this is your brain on drugs" commercials where someone fries an egg were apt

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao

Shaq is in hiding trying to duck a subpoena to get sued for shilling FTX

comedy option is he gets served on the set of NBA on TNT live on the air

It's so funny that they have to track you down and serve you in person. Is there any kind of escalation if you duck them for long enough?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just a Moron posted:

It's so funny that they have to track you down and serve you in person. Is there any kind of escalation if you duck them for long enough?

there are ways. there was a video i can’t find of a process server just duct taping the paperwork to the door via court order because people kept ducking service.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Set up a fake ad agency and call Shaq's people telling them you have a different thing for him to endorse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thank god you can't post shaq's assassination subpoena coordinates on twitter anymore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

lol EA people throwing sam under the bus https://time.com/6262810/sam-bankman-fried-effective-altruism-alameda-ftx/

it's not a very good article. tl;dr: sam is untrustworthy, they knew this and said nothing

quote:

Many of the emerging issues at Alameda that were reported to EA leaders beginning in 2018—including pervasive dishonesty, sloppy accounting, and rejection of corporate controls—presaged the scandal that unfolded at FTX four years later, according to sources who were granted anonymity to avoid professional retribution or becoming entangled in Bankman-Fried’s ongoing legal drama. “I was shocked at how much of what came out about FTX rhymed with the concerns we raised in the early days,” says one person who spoke directly with MacAskill and others about Bankman-Fried in 2018. “It was the same thing. All of the same problems.”
lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Just a Moron posted:

If you avoid it for long enough a second process server appears and starts chasing you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hammerite posted:

If you avoid it for long enough a second process server appears and starts chasing you

bubble bobble hurry up theme starts playing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

bubble bobble hurry up theme starts playing

if this doesn't work the bees from skate or die start chasing you

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mr. Nice! posted:

there are ways. there was a video i can’t find of a process server just duct taping the paperwork to the door via court order because people kept ducking service.
door service is often good when you've tried every reasonable step, and it's really hard to believe that someone of shaq's stature doesn't know multiple parties are out for his rear end.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Pictured: Process servers getting ready to come for that rear end

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you can't outrun them forever; eventually they'll get serious and you'll find an arrow with a message wrapped around it embedded in your door, bedroom wall, or torso

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this is also true if you try to outrun sam for too long, but the content is different

(it's crimes)

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I do not much care for the fact that crypto is now making me, personally, do work

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i'm going to the Game Developer's Conference next week and there's like 30 sessions about web3/blockchain/crypto games, all in the "business" track. i will report back on if there's anyone actually going to any of those but in my heart i know there's gonna be a ton of valley grifters there

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

it'll be great, you're probably gonna see the most pathetic kind of grifters, the desperate bagholders that didn't immediately swap to AI

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zeekner posted:

it'll be great, you're probably gonna see the most pathetic kind of grifters, the desperate bagholders that didn't immediately swap to AI

it sucks because AI is already a topic in games, it's not LLMs or machine learning or stable diffusion, it's usually things like behavior trees that end up being a data driven version of a big finite state machine. but that's interesting and fun and has a lot of aspects like "how do you make difficulty fun without feeling unfair" and "how can we parallelize decision trees so that we can simulate as many NPCs as possible in a performant manner" but now you have to parse out from the description of a talk whether it's about game AI (fun, good, interesting) or "AI" (dumb, bad, nothing)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when will we finally have games using AI-generated AI

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

when will we finally have games using AI-generated AI

i'm sure that already exists

hell i seem to remember a project that made like, unreal tournament bots that way like 10+ years ago

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

more falafel please posted:

it sucks because AI is already a topic in games, it's not LLMs or machine learning or stable diffusion, it's usually things like behavior trees that end up being a data driven version of a big finite state machine. but that's interesting and fun and has a lot of aspects like "how do you make difficulty fun without feeling unfair" and "how can we parallelize decision trees so that we can simulate as many NPCs as possible in a performant manner" but now you have to parse out from the description of a talk whether it's about game AI (fun, good, interesting) or "AI" (dumb, bad, nothing)

i'm willing to bet some of those web3/blockchain talks have been quietly pivoted to some ai-powered nonsense too, once you're a few slides in they'll start talking about "amazing new developments"

but yea, it sucks how these folks try to wedge their way in the door with complete nonsense, just a modern version of the sweaty door-to-door salesman like ol' gil

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zeekner posted:

i'm willing to bet some of those web3/blockchain talks have been quietly pivoted to some ai-powered nonsense too, once you're a few slides in they'll start talking about "amazing new developments"

but yea, it sucks how these folks try to wedge their way in the door with complete nonsense, just a modern version of the sweaty door-to-door salesman like ol' gil

for the most part I think AAA isn't all that interested in any of this poo poo because no one's come up with an actual use case of it. the game industry is actually pretty resistant to change unless there's a clear monetization case. i work for a company that does a lot of contracting so I've worked in a ton of different AAA developers codebases, and it's weird if they don't use perforce for source control. i've seen a couple places that use git, but only if they a) have separate source control for art or b) have custom tools and processes that make git work basically like perforce

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

have custom tools and processes that make git work basically like perforce

that's because you really want to lock checked out data files when working on a aaa game because you can't really merge stuff and you don't want people accidentally wasting their time modifying the same stuff (and you can't rely on process alone to avoid this to happen, especially if you have multiple teams working on the project around the world)

also the git workflow of having a bunch of branches for everything doesn't work very well when checking out a single branch takes several hundred gigabytes, so all in all git doesn't end up being very useful over perforce for AAA games

I mean nowadays git + git-lfs is probably a perfectly viable solution for AAA games but when you have a humongus software stack + gazillions of tools and processes and automation and poo poo built on top of perforce you can't just decide to move to git-lfs just like that

re: NFTs, as far as ubisoft is concerned any project that brandishes technical fad buzzwords around will have the CEO's ear and that's annoying as gently caress. thankfully I think the nft poo poo failed hard enough that they are not going to pursue this any further (that + internally a majority of ubisoft employess were against it because of how inept it is + the environmental impact)

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 15, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the key to game AI isn't to make it smart it's to make the player think it's smart. you make a basic AI that plays your game at the skill level of a particularly dull child, then you try to arrange things so that from time to time it stumbles into doing something that seems clever purely out of luck, so the player is impressed and thinks they've been outsmarted

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Just a Moron posted:

this is what happens. it was hilarious that this coward managed to duck them for so long

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/02/politics/mo-brooks-eric-swalwell-insurrection-lawsuit/index.html

quote:

Rep. Mo Brooks is avoiding an insurrection lawsuit. Rep. Eric Swalwell hired a private investigator to find him.

By Katelyn Polantz, CNN
Updated 9:06 PM EDT, Wed June 2, 2021

Republican Rep. Mo Brooks is avoiding a lawsuit from his Democratic colleague Rep. Eric Swalwell that seeks to hold him accountable for the January 6 Capitol insurrection – so much so that Swalwell’s attorneys hired a private investigator to find him.

The detail comes in a court filing Wednesday in which Swalwell’s attorneys describe difficulty in serving Brooks with the lawsuit. CNN has reached out to Brooks’ office for comment.

Federal Judge Amit Mehta, after learning of Swalwell’s inability to serve Brooks with the lawsuit, gave the Democrat’s legal team another 60 days to get to Brooks with their formal notification. The judge, however, won’t allow the US Marshals to deliver the lawsuit to the Republican congressman “due to separation of powers concerns,” Mehta wrote, after Swalwell asked for the US Marshals Service’s help.

After Swalwell – a California Democrat – sued in March, his attorneys tried to reach the Alabama Republican through calls to the congressman’s office and by sending a letter to formally provide him notice he had been sued, a necessary step in this type of court proceeding.

When they couldn’t get the lawsuit to Brooks, the Swalwell legal team hired a private investigator to find him – only to be hampered in April and May partly by the visitor lockdowns around the US Capitol complex, which were put in place for Congress’ protection after the siege, according to their filing Wednesday.

“Counsel spoke to two different staff members on two separate occasions, and each time was promised a return call that never came,” Swalwell’s attorneys wrote on Wednesday.

Following the Swalwell team’s calls, they emailed, too. “Neither Brooks nor any member of his staff has responded to his request,” their filing said.

“Plaintiff had to engage the services of a private investigator to attempt to serve Brooks personally – a difficult feat under normal circumstances that has been complicated further in the wake of the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol that Defendants incited,” Swalwell’s court filing continued. “Plaintiff’s investigator has spent many hours over many days in April and May at locations in multiple jurisdictions attempting to locate and serve Brooks, to no avail.”

On CNN’s “Erin Burnett OutFront” on Wednesday, Swalwell’s attorney Philip Andonian said his team would continue to try to locate Brooks.

“The problem here is that Mo Brooks’ door is under lock and key … There was just no access to the primary place that he was for much of the day,” Andonian said. “It just takes persistence and luck sometimes. We’re not claiming Brooks is hiding in a bunker somewhere. But it takes a lot of effort.”

finally got 'im though

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/politics/mo-brooks-eric-swalwell-lawsuit-capitol-insurrection/index.html

quote:

Rep. Mo Brooks served with lawsuit related to his role in Capitol insurrection

By Katelyn Polantz, CNN
Updated 8:38 PM EDT, Sun June 6, 2021

Alabama GOP Rep. Mo Brooks was served with a lawsuit filed by California Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell seeking to hold him partially accountable for the January 6 insurrection, according to a tweet from Brooks and an attorney for Swalwell.

“Well, Swalwell FINALLY did his job, served complaint (on my WIFE). HORRIBLE Swalwell’s team committed a CRIME by unlawfully sneaking INTO MY HOUSE & accosting my wife!” Brooks wrote on Twitter.

Swalwell’s legal team had had difficulty serving Brooks and hired a private investigator to give him the papers, according to court filings. Swalwell’s attorney, Matthew Kaiser, told CNN Sunday that a private investigator had left the papers with Brooks’ wife at their home in Alabama.

CNN is unable to corroborate Brooks’ claim that Swalwell’s team committed a crime. CNN has reached out to the offices of both Brooks and Swalwell for comment.

The Swalwell legal team has not formally notified the court that Brooks has been served, but that likely will be coming soon. The process server will have to provide a sworn affidavit to the court, as is typical in this procedural phase of a lawsuit. Serving the papers is important because it starts a clock in court for Brooks, the defendant, to respond to Swalwell’s accusations, which seek to hold him, ex-President Donald Trump and others liable for the January 6 attack on Congress.

If Brooks doesn’t believe he was properly served, he will have the opportunity to contest it in court.

“We look forward to reading the papers,” Kaiser said.

Philip Andonian, another attorney for Swalwell, challenged Brooks’ comments.

“No one entered or even attempted to enter the Brooks’ house. That allegation is completely untrue. A process server lawfully served the papers on Mo Brooks’ wife, as the federal rules allow,” he told CNN. “This was after her initial efforts to avoid service. Mo Brooks has no one but himself to blame for the fact that it came to this. We asked him to waive service, we offered to meet him at a place of his choosing. Instead of working things out like a civilized person, he engaged in a juvenile game of Twitter trolling over the past few days and continued to evade service. He demanded that we serve him. We did just that. The important thing is the complaint has been served and Mo Brooks can now be held accountable for his role in inciting the deadly insurrection at the Capitol.”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the key to game AI isn't to make it smart it's to make the player think it's smart. you make a basic AI that plays your game at the skill level of a particularly dull child, then you try to arrange things so that from time to time it stumbles into doing something that seems clever purely out of luck, so the player is impressed and thinks they've been outsmarted

the key is to make sure the player understands what it’s doing. if that means having the AI literally narrate it’s own decisions like in FEAR so be it

if the AI is smart enough to take the player by surprise and win that just feels like cheap bullshit you had no chance against. which is accurate and also not fun

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Zlodo posted:

that's because you really want to lock checked out data files when working on a aaa game because you can't really merge stuff and you don't want people accidentally wasting their time modifying the same stuff (and you can't rely on process alone to avoid this to happen, especially if you have multiple teams working on the project around the world)

also the git workflow of having a bunch of branches for everything doesn't work very well when checking out a single branch takes several hundred gigabytes, so all in all git doesn't end up being very useful over perforce for AAA games

I mean nowadays git + git-lfs is probably a perfectly viable solution for AAA games but when you have a humongus software stack + gazillions of tools and processes and automation and poo poo built on top of perforce you can't just decide to move to git-lfs just like that

re: NFTs, as far as ubisoft is concerned any project that brandishes technical fad buzzwords around will have the CEO's ear and that's annoying as gently caress. thankfully I think the nft poo poo failed hard enough that they are not going to pursue this any further (that + internally a majority of ubisoft employess were against it because of how inept it is + the environmental impact)

yeah I've worked on a couple of AAA games using git/lfs and the git part is nice, it's great to be able to work on multiple tasks in a clean workspace and switch between them with one command that finishes instantly. but the art side is untenable. the advantages of git only apply to line-diffable content, and it's simply way too loving complicated to teach people who don't come from a technical background. you're not gonna teach a 23 year old animator about the command line.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah I've worked on a couple of AAA games using git/lfs and the git part is nice, it's great to be able to work on multiple tasks in a clean workspace and switch between them with one command that finishes instantly. but the art side is untenable. the advantages of git only apply to line-diffable content, and it's simply way too loving complicated to teach people who don't come from a technical background. you're not gonna teach a 23 year old animator about the command line.

why not, make their job harder to toughen their soft boi rear end up :colbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I worked one place that wanted the designers to check their assets into source control and it was a complete disaster much like my posting

and this was like ui pngs not multi-megabyte 3d models and textures

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i feel like some kinda diff-able system for images and 3D models and poo poo is totally achievable but just hasn't been widely adopted yet

or maybe it has and i'm just talking out my rear end, idk

hell you could even do like, a system that highlights perceptual differences (iirc we have algorithms for that now) sorta like how tools can only highlight non-whitespace code changes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem isn't the diffing, it's the merging. Merging code changes such that the output reflects the intent of both changes is very easy compared to doing the same thing with arbitrary changes to images.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah good luck fixing a merge conflict on an asset file. maybe if you had a very smart editor that anticipated that scenario and gave you tools for it, and if it was an asset type for which that concept even means anything, you could do it. but I don’t think this sort of thing exists for media in general

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I crop one pixel off the side of an image and change its dimensions it's an entirely new image

the other problem is that designers and artists are constantly making new versions of files until the last possible moment and nobody wants email messages fired off for every "james updated face_texture_123.png" a dozen times a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

FAUXTON posted:

"Who is John Galt" - Effective Altruists ft. Baha Men

hey chatgpt generate lyrics for the single "who is john galt (featuring baha men)" by effective altruists

quote:

(Verse 1 - Effective Altruists)
Who is John Galt?
A question that we all ask
A hero, a man of mystery
His legacy is vast

(Chorus - Baha Men)
Who is John Galt?
We'll find out in the end
Let's work together, make a change
And be our brother's friend

(Verse 2 - Effective Altruists)