Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lmao

Didn't realize there was a fourth original trilogy movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hH8rxarVG8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

cunc's still got it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://youtu.be/9EcjWd-O4jI

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

idk why it got the praise it did really. cumberbatch is okay in it, but he's not great, ditto freeman. i don't even remember who played holmes' sister. the stories were usually fine enough too, and usually executed well enough, but given an absolutely stupid "modern" spin that ruins it

i guess that can be pretty misleading to some people? it probably seems like a good show if you don't think about it at all

i'm gonna indulge in cynicism here and say i think a lot of people were just starstruck by "oh wow, it's london! and it's in modern times (so relevant, look at those floating text messages, wow!) and benedict cumberbatch is doing the sheldon-from-bbt thing (autism!) and watson was in afghanistan (in the 2000s, so topical!) wow!!!"

Beeftweeter posted:

peter cushing is an excellent villain and it's a shame he's most well known today for being a digital puppet

dude was also a massive nerd; he was literally playing with model armies before it was cool fully commercialized, and apparently had a huge blast being in star wars and wished he could be in another

:3:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
even at the time they were airing it was well known that like half the Sherlock episodes were unwatchable poo poo. I was introduced to the series after it premiered by someone telling me "just watch the first and last episodes, the second one is awful." but I didn’t listen, and that was a mistake.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dude was also a massive nerd; he was literally playing with model armies before it was cool fully commercialized, and apparently had a huge blast being in star wars and wished he could be in another

lol, he got his wish in the worst possible way

i'm gonna indulge in cynicism here and say i think a lot of people were just starstruck by "oh wow, it's london! and it's in modern times (so relevant, look at those floating text messages, wow!) and benedict cumberbatch is doing the sheldon-from-bbt thing (autism!) and watson was in afghanistan (in the 2000s, so topical!) wow!!!"

yeah, agreed. it's not that the modern spin really bothers me, it's the way they did it. it just comes across as completely unnecessary. iirc holmes was a heroin addict? well, afaik in the books he used cocaine: that will definitely get someone obsessive about them into a mystery-solving mood

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of my favorite baffling corporate tics is the neverending quest to make batman tv shows whose central premise is that batman never shows up in them

first gotham, then pennyworth, and now gotham knights (a bunch of teen sidekicks get together to solve the mystery of the murder of bruce wayne) which just debuted on the cw and will likely only get this single season as their whole division has been downsized and reorged and strategically reoriented, just another casualty of the streaming wars

three batman shows where the central conceit is that batman doesnt exist in them. idgi

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ideally you want to save the marquee names for movies

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:3:

little pewter army wargames are a lot of fun and it'd kinda sad that the chaos and grognardiness of it has been subsumed into a lot of warhammer and warhammerlikes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FMguru posted:

gotham knights (a bunch of teen sidekicks get together to solve the mystery of the murder of bruce wayne)

lmao

there is a terrible video game that came out last year of the same name and with the same premise

had no idea they were doing it as a show too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Fool posted:

lmao

there is a terrible video game that came out last year of the same name and with the same premise

had no idea they were doing it as a show too

that sounds nearly identical to the awful "gotham city imposters" game from ages ago

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought that was a squad shooter

the gotham knight game tries to copy the arkham formula and misses at every level

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

good to see dc properties being just as obnoxious, ubiquitous, and utterly skippable as their marvel counterparts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have never watched any of the marvel spinoff tv shows

this means that sometimes in a marvel movie a character is introduced with a sting and i have no idea who they are, because they're from one of the shows, but i don't care!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

and it's not like you need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out what narrative function they serve. I watched Loki for Owen Wilson, him and Loki had good chemistry, but you can just watch the final episode and get 90% of what made the series good (it's John Majors as Kang)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
loki sucked so bad and was such a massive waste of talent.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it wasn't good. I did really like Kang though

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

llllmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm reading the first Silo book and it's really really good.

please don't probe me for this, when I read the book I picture the airlock and "cleaning" like this timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXsfHUe6fnY&t=255s

context: He is given a protective suit and sent outside, but when he exits the silo, he sees a healthy, vibrant world. Encouraged by this sight, he happily cleans the silo's external sensors and then explores the environment. However, he is forced to remove his helmet when he runs out of air, and at that point, he discovers that the world is actually toxic and his wife is dead. The suit's visor had been masking reality with a computer-generated image. Holston dies near his wife's abandoned body.

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 16, 2023

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah the dust/wool/shift series is pretty good, and i'm kinda excited for the atv+ series? mini-series? that's coming out soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah the dust/wool/shift series is pretty good, and i'm kinda excited for the atv+ series? mini-series? that's coming out soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

wow that is not nearly as claustrophobic as it should be

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5NpcmwHcnI

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

loki sucked so bad and was such a massive waste of talent.

it started off so promising too, really cool mysterious vibes and then remembered it had to suck poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

is it, like, good-good, or good-enough-for-sci-fi good?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

is it, like, good-good, or good-enough-for-sci-fi good?

the stories are legit good, I don't read bullshit

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's more or less on par with the southern reach books

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQxiNQs3xo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

blame! is legit cool and good. the cg movie they have on netflix is decent

annihilation is a cool movie but that bear scene sucks a lot for me. it’s also weird because the premise of the southern reach is almost identical to a book called chaga by Ian macdonald but I’ve never seen anyone besides me mention it. same with the tv series colony and the robert silverberg book the alien years. like both are so close I’m shocked there weren’t big lawsuits

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
here is my legit review of Silo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9SjAJ_ki8

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's more or less on par with the southern reach books

this is about the best recommendation I can hear for a book. I gifted my copy that has the whole trilogy in one binding just to get more people to read it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
picard season 3 episode 5 continues to disappoint. it again seems like a good show on the surface but if you think about it at all, it's deeply stupid

- ro laren comes back only to die in the same episode
- these are indeed meatbag changelings. beverly helpfully suggests that this is evolution that has occurred over the past 25 years :shepface:
- kirk acevedo shows up! but he plays a british vulcan gangster for some reason. lmao.
- the changelings have infiltrated starfleet comprehensively, relying on their semi-solid abilities to evade detection. i'm sure this won't be dumb as all hell and a chance for the very smart writers to constantly misdirect us
- jack has some sort of extremely stranger things-esque hallucinations going on. this show can't do anything original. i'm guessing he's part borg, because those scenes are usually tinted heavily red and he looks like a cylon, plus he single-handedly wastes 4 changelings in this episode
- worf and raffi's story finally gets tied into the main plot but it remains a huge millstone around its neck. man, those scenes really drag
- speaking of scenes, you still can barely see what the hell is going on. apparently nobody on a starfleet ship needs to see more than 3 feet in front of them

:ughh:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 16, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

- speaking of scenes, you still can barely see what the hell is going on. apparently nobody on a starfleet ship needs to see more than 3 feet in front of them

:ughh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its seriously so bad. in the previous episode it's justified as a result of being in a nebula, but the lights very occasionally get turned up to what you might consider "normal starfleet level", because of power surges. even then it's pretty obvious that they just bumped up the luminosity digitally because everything briefly gets washed out. they didn't even bother to adjust the contrast

and right off the bat in this episode ro orders the uss titan-a to "power down" (and surrender), which again seems like a lazy out for them to justify the lighting being absolute garbage. its therefore completely intentional and hilarious to watch the executive producer/showrunner (terry matalas) whine about it on twitter because he also wrote most of the episodes, he literally loving chose this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Achmed Jones posted:

good to see dc properties being just as obnoxious, ubiquitous, and utterly skippable as their marvel counterparts

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrl1ynFv8Z1zwwi9l.mp4

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh my god, that's incredibly well done. i'd watch a whole special of these

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1636288250691084288

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i had something of a real-time realization in the tviv thread. jack isnt a borg. he's a changeling

Beeftweeter posted:

i just watched jack's scenes again and yeah, i think he's somehow a changeling but doesn't know it. every time we see the cylon eyes or some hallucination, he had just seen or been around a changeling. the branches are probably a literal representation of the great link because this show does not do subtlety

they also don't want to hurt him, just capture him. well, no only one changeling has ever harmed another. it would also explain why he was able to identify them and start blasting

:negative:

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, he's probably something like shinzon

...only this time beverly somehow stole him before they could activate him or whatever. that is, he was probably meant to replace picard (technically a nemesis spoiler)

never thought they'd return to that well, but here we are apparently

Beeftweeter posted:

ahh god it all fits

odo doesn't know he's a changeling at first either. bev bizarrely highlights the importance of jack "sleeping"

someone else pointed out that they don't do a DNA test on him to confirm his lineage

it all fits, it's just dumb as hell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
what a twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the leaked episode title was also wrong, it's "impostors", plural

while yes, we see several, this... also fits. lmao

god its dumb