Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
bingGPT is a bit more negative

...side note, i lol'd at this:

quote:

Who is John Galt? (woof, woof, woof, woof)
Who is John Galt?

He's the man who left his motor
When they tried to share his skill
He's the man who started a strike
To stop the world from going downhill

He's the man who thinks he's rational
But he doesn't care about evidence
He's the man who only helps himself
But he doesn't see the consequence

The destroyer of our world
The enemy of our cause
The opposite of altruism
Who is John Galt?
We don't need him at all

We are the ones who use our reason
To figure out how to do good better
We are the ones who give our resources
To help others as much as possible

We are the ones who prioritize
The most effective interventions
We are the ones who care about everyone
No matter where or when they live

Who are we? (yeah yeah yeah yeah)
The effective altruists
The champions of our world
The advocates of compassion
Who are we?
We can make a difference

So let him go and hide in his gulch
We don't need his selfish philosophy
We have a vision for a better future
Where everyone can live happily

So let him go and preach to his friends
We don't need his narrow-minded view
We have a mission to reduce suffering
And we know what we have to do

Who is John Galt? (woof, woof, woof)
Nobody important
Who is John Galt? (woof)
Nobody relevant
Who is John Galt?
Nobody worth listening to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

qirex posted:

I worked one place that wanted the designers to check their assets into source control and it was a complete disaster much like my posting

and this was like ui pngs not multi-megabyte 3d models and textures

a place I used to work was running on heavily, heavily, heavily modified UE3. like removed the entire script runtime, etc. after I left they apparently moved to a system to serialize UPackages in a diffable way, directories for the whole hierarchy and some text format for properties, with only assets that were binary blobs kept as binary blobs. cooking obviously still made everything a compact blob representation, but it seems like it worked.

they're moving to UE5 now though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beeftweeter posted:

bingGPT is a bit more negative

...side note, i lol'd at this:

Lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

more falafel please posted:

yeah I've worked on a couple of AAA games using git/lfs and the git part is nice, it's great to be able to work on multiple tasks in a clean workspace and switch between them with one command that finishes instantly. but the art side is untenable. the advantages of git only apply to line-diffable content, and it's simply way too loving complicated to teach people who don't come from a technical background. you're not gonna teach a 23 year old animator about the command line.

I find the stock git GUI to be pretty helpful, you can do most basic things without the CLI

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol owned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just a Moron posted:

I find the stock git GUI to be pretty helpful, you can do most basic things without the CLI

you still need some kind of non-git editor to resolve merge conflicts in a better way than just picking A or B. this editor doesn't exist for some classes of asset and cannot exist for other classes of asset. asking your artists to crack the file open in a text editor and fix it line by line is not realistic. that's the whole problem

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
anyone know the latest with genesis/gemini/dcg? i haven't really heard a peep since the bankruptcy declaration.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

anyone know the latest with genesis/gemini/dcg? i haven't really heard a peep since the bankruptcy declaration.

funds are safe

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

haveblue posted:

you still need some kind of non-git editor to resolve merge conflicts in a better way than just picking A or B. this editor doesn't exist for some classes of asset and cannot exist for other classes of asset. asking your artists to crack the file open in a text editor and fix it line by line is not realistic. that's the whole problem

Yeah anything that can't be resolved to individual line changes needs a specialized diff and merge tool, but I don't think any other version control software is any better at this outside of enforcing a checkout/checkin system

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

My whole version control experience is in Git, Vault, and timestamped zip files, and I would take git everytime

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Just a Moron posted:

Yeah anything that can't be resolved to individual line changes needs a specialized diff and merge tool, but I don't think any other version control software is any better at this outside of enforcing a checkout/checkin system

LFS is just an extra layer of weirdness. we ended up setting up a perforce server for art only and set up scripts to do art drops into git. it was dumb

but like having multiple branches doesn't really help you when you can't merge assets. there aren't really any benefits to using git over p4 on a game project for anyone but programmers

that said it's awesome to be able to commit whenever you want and squash down to one nice clean commit when you've got something to push

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
may i interest you in some svn instead?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

more falafel please posted:

LFS is just an extra layer of weirdness. we ended up setting up a perforce server for art only and set up scripts to do art drops into git. it was dumb

but like having multiple branches doesn't really help you when you can't merge assets. there aren't really any benefits to using git over p4 on a game project for anyone but programmers

that said it's awesome to be able to commit whenever you want and squash down to one nice clean commit when you've got something to push

I've never used perforce, this is the first I'm reading about it actually. I've had to work with large binary blobs but I've found it easiest to migrate to languages that didn't depend on them. I also don't really have to worry about visual objects

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i used perforce once

thank you for listening to my ted talk, I'll be here all week

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
perforce is fine as long as you have admins on call 24/7 who can undo exclusive checkouts done by some artist on the other side of the world

otherwise one side of the world wakes up and goes "welp guess I don't do anything today"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my cat exclusively uses purr force when he wants treats

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the key to game AI isn't to make it smart it's to make the player think it's smart. you make a basic AI that plays your game at the skill level of a particularly dull child, then you try to arrange things so that from time to time it stumbles into doing something that seems clever purely out of luck, so the player is impressed and thinks they've been outsmarted

so yes, but its more than that: the job of ai is sort of to maintain a contract of expectation with the player. the contract is usually "fairness" balanced against predictable behavioural reactions (so things still feel 'random enough' to be interesting rather than being purely deterministic), but they become unpredictable in their specific execution leading to very simple, but cool stuff that emerges from that behaviour

a good rule of thumb is an AI should link to a game-design with three possible "major" responses, akin to rock-scissors-paper and then several response-layers, cuz seven is roughly the amount of stuff players can comfortably keep track of at once, and you can nest threes inside each of those sevens once you've got players to internalize the poo poo you want them to understand

say, ranging vs rate of fire, or rate of fire vs damage and accuracy vs precision with gun design in an fps... or the major speed/attack classes or range control in fighting games

instead of it being the attack/defence stuff, its instead the decision-making selecting those kinds of attacks with knowledge of the current and estimation of future-states in the case of an equal opponent.

when you're fighting asymmetric opponents, the overall battle-space should be acting in this way either as an emergent property (usually to test player knowledge by giving them a simple optimization problem)

later once you've done your onboarding something you deliberately engineer a bit like an rts, but you should ensure that the reliability of that planning is a force players can disrupt or interfere with as a system.

there are some situations where you do want poo poo to be ultra deterministic though, for this rts-like thing (sometimes internally called a game-master-system, director, or a pacer) and that's when you present the player with an optimization problem, since randomness stops them from being able to refine their strategies. you see this in games with ranking systems, and then the randomness is brought in via the game's gm system. if you've ever played games with dynamic difficulty (you have, and probably haven't even known about it), these are those.

that way you have an extended path of making sure you get the most out of the game's systems. ultimately the golden rule is when players are satisfyingly stressed, they're less attentative to numerical changes, but more observant of behavioural changes but only when they have tells, and less observant when they don't have tells -- and the inverse is true when players are bored or in low-stress mode -- because then, behavioural changes tend to become interesting or something which can be explored and mentally modelled by players. in this way during low-stress portions, you can actually use this to your advantage to exaggerate the trigger-cues for changing enemy behaviour safely.

likewise, increasing the "tells" that an ai behaviour has changed (animation, barks, etc) is also super helpful cuz players struggle to recognize behavioural state changes in stress so you need to mark it out for them really really well

its sort of an essential component of pacing in games, cuz then you get a safe sandbox to try stuff in and doing this lets players perceive ai as smarter than it really is

anyways I got a dm from shameboy who was like "hey this feels like something you'd respond to", so i'm scratching my dumb obsessive itch by responding to it

you don't have to read any of it but cool if you did lol

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 16, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
sbf's got some balls on him

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sbf-s-inner-circle-received-3-2b-mainly-from-alameda-court-filings

quote:

SBF’s inner circle received $3.2B, mainly from Alameda: Court filings

Billions worth of loans and payments flowed from FTX entities to Sam Bankman-Fried and five other former executives of FTX and Alameda Research.

FTX and Alameda Research’s former top brass received $3.2 billion in payments and loans from FTX-linked entities, according to the FTX administrators handling the firm’s restructuring.

FTX, now helmed by CEO John Ray III, has been tracking missing funds from the exchange since its collapse. It estimates a total of $8.9 billion is missing.

According to a March 15 statement from FTX Debtors, financial statements it filed in the Delaware Bankruptcy Court point to billions of dollars worth of loans and payments that allegedly flowed to Sam Bankman-Fried and high-ranking executives, which came mainly from trading house Alameda Research.

Bankman-Fried, however, reportedly received the lion’s share of the funds at $2.2 billion.

Others named in the list include former FTX director Nishad Singh, FTX co-founder Gary Wang, and former Alameda Research CEO Caroline Ellison, among others.

It provided a rough breakdown of the payments made to the FTX executives, as follows:

$2.2 billion to Sam Bankman-Fried
$587 million to Nishad Singh — former FTX director of engineering
$246 million to Zixiao “Gary” Wang — FTX co-founder
$87 million to Ryan Salame — former co-CEO of FTX Digital Markets (FTX’s Bahamian entity)
$25 million to John Samuel Trabucco — former co-CEO of Alameda
$6 million to Caroline Ellison — former CEO of Alameda

:eyepop:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
and that cointelegraph site has an "Own this piece of history, Collect this article as an NFT" link because of course it does

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
wouldn't be surprised if those amounts were linked to the polycule rankings

poor caroline :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

...! posted:

wouldn't be surprised if those amounts were linked to the polycule rankings

poor caroline :(

she was the queen of the polycule and thus did not actually need money because she was domming sam.

also she had alameda's pocketbook to spend at her discretion as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

she was the queen of the polycule and thus did not actually need money because she was domming sam.

also she had alameda's pocketbook to spend at her discretion as well.

she was a figurehead there too, sbf retained complete control

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
for some sufficiently broad definition of "control"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
you can't spell control without con

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

we made an nft game that actively discourages selling nfts
https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1635746780842164224

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

so is that 3.2 Billion with a B part of the 9 billion they "lost" or in addition to it?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

njsykora posted:

https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1635748205500432392?s=20

It's B^U all over again lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

njsykora posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have to commend how they managed to find a way to make gacha mechanics even worse. It takes a real leader of industry to innovate like that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
wtf is with nft garbage being obsessed with discord servers

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The real value is in The Community.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Improbable Lobster posted:

everyone is obsessed with discords, they’re self-sustaining communities that can replace both marketing and support for free with minimal oversight from you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

you can also juice your project's engagement numbers by requiring people to join a discord to download files instead of just hosting them on a website like a normal program

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lol the hair clipping through his hat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahahaha the hats

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i'm sure the first people to sign up to be discord moderators of an nft will be sensible and well-balanced stewards of the community with no ulterior motives

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
you have to have a baseball cap on in order to moderate a Discord, its in the rules

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol wtf is that thousand-post stare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
we have 10000 characters! please ignore that they are all built from the chopped up parts of 5 unique ones