Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

does that basically just mean "john doe"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i always thought it means something like "et cetera" but idk for sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well, etc has a chinese equivalent: 等等

and i had to look it up to be sure but i have heard a kind of equivalent to john doe: 张三 and 李四, basically a common family name followed by the numbers 3 and 4. i think you can keep going up more than 4

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's kind of like john doe and kind of like 'tom dick and harry' but not exactly like either. fulano is the name you use for a person whose name you don't know, but it's more conversational than "john doe," which is a formal name given on forms and stuff. honestly the closest thing in english that i hear used is "homeboy" or sometimes "motherfucker", as in "this guy came up to me at the bus stop, actin all weird. then homeboy's like 'i love poodles man' and 'im like cool, cool ok man i gotta go'"

in the above you wouldn't say "and john doe was all like..." but in spanish youd say "y fulano dijo..." and it wouldn't be stilted

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also fulano has brothers, manzano and zutano. in case you need more names

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

also fulano has brothers, manzano and zutano. in case you need more names

thanks

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

fart simpson posted:

ok well thats not really what bailouts to protect the system as a whole means though

i think you're mostly talking about the henan bank crisis from about 2 years ago, where a bunch of regional banks failed after making speculative investments and a bunch of mostly old people stood to lose money? do you know what happened in the end of that? i mostly ask that question because i think this is one of the frustrating things with a pattern of reporting on china in the west. i can find a million articles from the beginning of that event, talking mostly about people protesting and a little about why the banks were failing, but i can't seem to find any english language articles about the resolution of the crisis or the aftermath, i can only find stuff in chinese. so i guess if you're reading english language news you're just going to remember that there were protests and you won't know anything else about the event really

yeah, i guess this may have been one of the stories i remembered.
maybe i could have been a bit more precise in what i meant. not actually a systemic bailout, but one to restore trust in the system.

anyway, im right there with you on the frustration about only initial stories and no followup coming out of china

"china is doing x in africa"

x was a proposal that doesn't end up actually happening, but because of the headline, half of europe still believes the prc now owns tanzania

or the straddling bus, of course. but in that case its unique that we did get some closure and confirmation that it was a stupid idea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

it's kind of like john doe and kind of like 'tom dick and harry' but not exactly like either. fulano is the name you use for a person whose name you don't know, but it's more conversational than "john doe," which is a formal name given on forms and stuff. honestly the closest thing in english that i hear used is "homeboy" or sometimes "motherfucker", as in "this guy came up to me at the bus stop, actin all weird. then homeboy's like 'i love poodles man' and 'im like cool, cool ok man i gotta go'"

in the above you wouldn't say "and john doe was all like..." but in spanish youd say "y fulano dijo..." and it wouldn't be stilted

oh thanks for this. genuinely useful lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

IIRC the PRC has a cap on how much money citizens are allowed to take out of the country (like $20k or $14k or something), which in theory is way more money than any foreign real estate could be bought for. So it's a de facto rule against their peeps buying western real estate.

In practice there are whole networks of money mules who will get the money out of the country, and banks in the US and Canada will more than happily facilitate this, despite it being basically money laundering.

But it seems like the kind of thing the PRC could clamp down on if they actually cared?

considering how frequently international real estate is used to launder or stash illegally obtained or transferred money I always wondered how a policy of checking with the appropriate embassy when a foreign national wants to purchase property would shake out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

considering how frequently international real estate is used to launder or stash illegally obtained or transferred money I always wondered how a policy of checking with the appropriate embassy when a foreign national wants to purchase property would shake out.

that would add exactly one step to the process, spending $500 to register abc investment company, llc as a shell corp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah they already usually use shell corps anyways, so no additional step

real estate is popular among criminals cuz the way you buy it on the up and up looks basically the same as the way you buy it with dirty money and yet its still favored by the authorities, unlike bearer bonds or some poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

that would add exactly one step to the process, spending $500 to register abc investment company, llc as a shell corp

they actually cracked down on that somewhat and in certain markets started to require determining the real beneficial owner of whatever entity is doing the purchase and reporting it to the Feds.

NYC luxury real estate dropped like 30% in response lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

using real estate for money laundering props up value which raises property taxes so as long as they're not doing their crimes on the premises I think most municipalities will happily look the other way [see: most of west central london]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it also makes gdp go up which means we have a strong economy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
michael pettis, a prof at beida, spends like 20 minutes of every day tweeting that this is the main way they juice prc gdp. and the main way they juiced japanese gdp before that fell apart

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

michael pettis, a prof at beida, spends like 20 minutes of every day tweeting that this is the main way they juice prc gdp. and the main way they juiced japanese gdp before that fell apart

they might actually be undercounting it

https://twitter.com/liesofhermit/status/1629867282888372225

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyway there might be similar problems but one thing different with the japan comparison is that america is in less of a position to detonate chinas economy in a similar way that we did to japan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and thats how shenzhen property gets to be as expensive as sf property. not adjusted for buying power, just in dollar terms

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

and thats how shenzhen property gets to be as expensive as sf property. not adjusted for buying power, just in dollar terms

it’s not though. can you buy a 2 bedroom apartment in sf for $500k?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
condo, yes actually

peeps fuckin hate condos in america tho

e: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1315-Laguna-St-APT-4-San-Francisco-CA-94115/64972196_zpid/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

didnt know there was anything at all around $600k tbh

can u do $130k?
https://shenzhen.anjuke.com/prop/vi...screen&index=64

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
$920/mo hoa fee on that thing woof.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

didnt know there was anything at all around $600k tbh

can u do $130k?
https://shenzhen.anjuke.com/prop/vi...screen&index=64

yeah, nothing in that section of the market, cuz sf zoning is done by little shits

talkin land as opposed to housing tho

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

isnt that just an app to keep track of your workouts? lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

man, I didnt even get $60/year value out of strava premium

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

premium has some route planning stuff, and some additional training metrics but it was never that great

mystes
May 31, 2006

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

Strava effectively has a monopoly on cyclists virtually competing with each other for imaginary internet points

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mystes posted:

Strava effectively has a monopoly on cyclists virtually competing with each other for imaginary internet points

Man, if somebody could make an app like that which is able to reliably and verifiably track weightlifting workouts, you'd be a billionaire from gym bros around the planet trying to show off/out-compete one another.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is not a condo, it's a co-op which means you have to go to the one bank [seriously there's only one] that does condo/tic jumbo mortgages and pay like 2x the interest rate

pretty much every 2br under 900k in sf has something "wrong" with it like a kilobuck+ hoa, it's a tenancy in common/co-op, unevictable tenant, etc. ie this one which is built on the site of the navy base where they cleaned the ships off after bikini atoll and has one of the most severe cancer clusters in america

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, housing is deffo a market for lemons

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

pretty much every 2br under 900k in sf has something "wrong" with it like a kilobuck+ hoa, it's a tenancy in common/co-op, unevictable tenant, etc. ie this one which is built on the site of the navy base where they cleaned the ships off after bikini atoll and has one of the most severe cancer clusters in america
...or is located in a highrise built on landfill without a foundation so it is sinking and tilting! ( https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/millennium-tower-san-francisco-leaning )

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

that is not a condo, it's a co-op which means you have to go to the one bank [seriously there's only one] that does condo/tic jumbo mortgages and pay like 2x the interest rate

i know a guy bought into a TIC with a group thinking theyd be able to convert them to condos and flip them, in SF, and it went about as well as youd expect.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

...or is located in a highrise built on landfill without a foundation so it is sinking and tilting! ( https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/millennium-tower-san-francisco-leaning )

you can't get a 2br in that building for 900 https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/301-Mission-St-94105/unit-7G/home/40138739

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 16, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i know a guy bought into a TIC with a group thinking theyd be able to convert them to condos and flip them, in SF, and it went about as well as youd expect.

tics are a very flawed solution to an actual problem, there needs to be some kind of better way for actual humans to share ownership of housing

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

LanceHunter posted:

Man, if somebody could make an app like that which is able to reliably and verifiably track weightlifting workouts, you'd be a billionaire from gym bros around the planet trying to show off/out-compete one another.

Simply tell people that it records your sick gains on a distributed append only ledger so that ot's impossible for people to game the system

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also reveals troop location and movements!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there needs to be a way to become more short on housing than the default way of consuming housing

shorts are the designated drivers of finance. housing markets routinely get ridiculously drunk and crash, killing money and also routinely peeps

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

also reveals troop location and movements!

app that tracks movement and shares it tracks movement and shares it, news at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

this is gonna fall over and take salesforce tower with it and if we're lucky it will only kill hundreds of people but no one will do anything about it because rich people will lose money.