Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

By the color of his face I'd say he's been watching those a-bombs up close and personal.

He sometimes posts family photos and he cranks up the saturation on those as well. Everyone looks sunburned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

President Beep posted:

been working in my editing skills. what do you all think?

"Wow!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember when I was first looking at fuji cameras and read a review of I think the x-e3 and he was like "the first thing I always do on fujifilm is set color to +4"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the fujifilm cameras seem like they have bad ergonomics and also lightroom doesn’t like their raw files but otoh they’re real pretty so im probably gonna buy one anyway

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a new kind of camera with a digital sensor etc but when you hit click the sensor flips out of the way like a mirror in an SLR and exposes some real film

and the digital display etc shows a sort of exposure simulation for the film stock and iso so you can tell just what it might look like before you hit “commit”

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Congratulations on having a terrible idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe it could also develop the film in camera like a Polaroid and then scan it with a tiny scanner into a digital file so you can have the results available instantly and conveniently

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

a new kind of camera with a digital sensor etc but when you hit click the sensor flips out of the way like a mirror in an SLR and exposes some real film

and the digital display etc shows a sort of exposure simulation for the film stock and iso so you can tell just what it might look like before you hit “commit”

why would anyone want this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
loling

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Russians used the viewfinder

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the native americans used every part of the camera

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's not like echis asking for seed money here, he's just posting a high thought. being able to have the preview capabilities of a modern camera alongside an actual film thing certainly has a fun kickstarter nostalgia vibe to it, like bluetooth turntables or something

sure another way to say it is "all the expense of film development with none of the zen" but all he's really saying is that it'd be cool to have a good preview for a film camera and spitballing some technical details. i think it'd be kinda cool too. i wouldn't spend big money on it, but i'd play with one and have fun if somebody bought one for me. and gave me film. and paid for processing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

that overly expensive super8 camera kodak showed off years ago has a similar concept
https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/page/super-8-camera

doesn't even look like you can buy one lol

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

it's not like echis asking for seed money here, he's just posting a high thought. being able to have the preview capabilities of a modern camera alongside an actual film thing certainly has a fun kickstarter nostalgia vibe to it, like bluetooth turntables or something

sure another way to say it is "all the expense of film development with none of the zen" but all he's really saying is that it'd be cool to have a good preview for a film camera and spitballing some technical details. i think it'd be kinda cool too. i wouldn't spend big money on it, but i'd play with one and have fun if somebody bought one for me. and gave me film. and paid for processing

It would be so horrendously complex that it would cost more than a digital camera and a film camera seperately. Also, you can just take a photo with your phone with one of the many apps that crops you equivalent focal length and apply a filter today.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

It would be so horrendously complex that it would cost more than a digital camera and a film camera seperately. Also, you can just take a photo with your phone with one of the many apps that crops you equivalent focal length and apply a filter today.

yeah but this way i get a bad digital image plus the film to later gently caress up in different ways.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Megabound posted:

no poo poo but who cares? it's a fun high-in-the-shower thought. no need to throw him down a well actually

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i mean, why

a viewfinder does that without needing a sensor lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol it was just a dumb joke, it was meant to be like getting the true film effect, but without having to concern yourself with the things film normally requires. it would be cheating but getting the same end result. if it existed it would drive filmoids insane

Megabound posted:

It would be so horrendously complex

actually you’d have to design it exactly like a SLR except have a digital sensor above the mirror, so mirror down the image is bounced and projected onto sensor and it acts like a mirrorless (you can take photos without flipping mirror), but you can press the big red “film” button and the mirror flips out of the way exposing the film

EZPZ

I am sure the first time someone proposed the idea of an SLR people thought it was an insane idea

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no way red buttons suck, red is a lovely color that doesn't stand out at all

now, YELLOW, that's a primo button color right there. not at all similar to brown and cheery to boot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as long as it looks like this

i’ll buy it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, why

a viewfinder does that without needing a sensor lol

I remember the first time I looked thru a DSLR viewfinder, everything looked so good.. and then took a photo and looked at it on the display and it looked like poo poo

non-digital viewfinders sell you a lie

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I remember the first time I looked thru a DSLR viewfinder, everything looked so good.. and then took a photo and looked at it on the display and it looked like poo poo

that's why you look at that little thing at the bottom that tells you if you're about to blow your exposure

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

digital viewfinders are nice because you can see better in low light conditions tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah but they have poor knobfeel

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thats what the meters are for. admittedly they don't really matter much with mirrorless, but they're very important on other camera types

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Achmed Jones posted:

.... all he's really saying is that it'd be cool to have a good preview for a film camera and spitballing some technical details.

film slrs did get pretty good at the preview thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have a canon 35mm SLR with this stupid rear end eye tracking autofocus setup. i mean it’s neat and all but the dam thing only has like seven af points and they’re all along the x axis.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

that's why you look at that little thing at the bottom that tells you if you're about to blow your exposure

you have to stop finding reasons to halt the production of this new camera !! please I need this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

i have a canon 35mm SLR with this stupid rear end eye tracking autofocus setup. i mean it’s neat and all but the dam thing only has like seven af points and they’re all along the x axis.

I've always been curious about how accurate these are.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

you have to stop finding reasons to halt the production of this new camera !! please I need this

a more sane design would be a regular film SLR with a small sensor in front of the mirror that also flips up before exposure. it could have a buffer for shot previews or possibly a small amount of flash storage (why not, its cheap and physically small)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the solution is to have a small strip of instant film in front of the mirror that flips up just before you take the photo, that way you have a small preview of the image on paper.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like the light meters that are the mechanical needle that moves when you hold down meter lever.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

I've always been curious about how accurate these are.

the eye track thing? the functionality seems legit. you calibrate it to your eye and it responds well once set up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

People don't nt like to admit it but this is what peak camera viewfinder looks like
https://i.imgur.com/umvPzHB.mp4

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

People don't nt like to admit it but this is what peak camera viewfinder looks like

if you know, you know.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

thats right

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

President Beep posted:

if you know, you know.

Best camera crew represent

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 17, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

drat, was thinking “ugh, this looks like that garbage people fling about on flickr” and then i looked closer. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My reverse camera room got a big upgrade