Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
from today's idiot webcomic for insufferable nerds, I learned something that blew my goddamn mind:

a "radian" has that name because it represents a chunk of circumference equal to the length of the radius. Somehow I made it through an entire EE program without ever making that connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

who’s the idiot now huh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Poopernickel posted:

from today's idiot webcomic for insufferable nerds

this doesn't narrow it down for me

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this doesn't narrow it down for me

its this one :nws: https://goatkcd.com/2748/ :nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 17, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i just got fired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Armitag3 posted:

who’s the idiot now huh

aw jeez i hope its not me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pro-click

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

who’s the idiot now huh

it's the op, obviously

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

it's the op, obviously

phew

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

several circles in this comic, checks out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thanks and "god bless",

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just read a half dozen or so xkcd comics, and it turns out i dont like them. i used to, many years ago. but now i dont.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i just read a half dozen or so xkcd comics, and it turns out i dont like them. i used to, many years ago. but now i dont.

they can be real hit or miss, and they're rarely actually funny

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Armitag3 posted:

who’s the idiot now huh

still u

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:swish:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
goatkcd on the other hand, when it it's good, it's REAL good

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

in terms of cringy nerd comedy, where does xkcd lie these days compared to goomics

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Dijkstracula posted:

in terms of cringy nerd comedy, where does xkcd lie these days compared to goomics

lol oof these are pretty bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

xkcd has always been hit or miss. there are a couple that i keep around (e.g. the competing standards one) but broadly it's cringey. at least he quit doing the lovelorn dork ones. megaaaaan

the bad nerd comic is phd-comics. so tired of seeing those on professors' doors. it's not clever or funny, just "haha being an academic makes you want to cry, grad students work all the time" mixed with some not so subtle elitism.

the good nerd comic is smbc. it's bizarre and fun and it has a proper outlook on academia (it's absurd).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 17, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

they can be real hit or miss, and they're rarely actually funny

they are never funny. recognising a reference is not humor/humour

haha yes sudo make me a sandwich!!! - xkcd enjoyers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist posted:

idk the “now there are 17 messaging formats” thing was funny, for some nonzero vanlue of funny

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

goomics were bad, then homeboy went to twitter and they were worse. but i kinda have a soft spot for this one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

xkcd has always been hit or miss. there are a couple that i keep around (e.g. the competing standards one) but broadly it's cringey. at least he quit doing the lovelorn dork ones. megaaaaan

the bad nerd comic is phd-comics. so tired of seeing those on professors' doors. it's not clever or funny, just "haha being an academic makes you want to cry, grad students work all the time" mixed with some not so subtle elitism.

the good nerd comic is smbc. it's bizarre and fun and it has a proper outlook on academia (it's absurd).

yeah, smbc was and remains good when i remember to check it. ive seen a lot of smbc on office doors, and a few bob the angry flowers. at least one space moose. i dont think i've ever seen a phd-comics, though. sounds like the profs you know are just wieners

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

come to think of it phd-comics and goomics were kinda similar. very frequently "here's a thing you might recognize/understand" where the joke is less a joke and more the cartoon equivalent of "i got that reference so i like it"

the goomics guy tried to do political cartoon type stuff, but you can't really go hard about your employer and not get fired. i suspect that he'd have been good (art style notwithstanding, im not generally a fan) if it weren't for the obvious conflict of interest there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

git apologist posted:

goddammit if youre gonna make the same point i do at least have the decency to make it AFTER me. jeeze.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in a stunning turn of events, achmed takes the quint

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

in a stunning turn of events, achmed takes the quint

thats not a thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you take the quad - or dont, no shame in that - but there is no such thing as a ‘quint’

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

you take the quad - or dont, no shame in that - but there is no such thing as a ‘quint’

what do you call it when someone takes an entire page, 40 posts? a megaquad?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

five in a row is a m-m-m-m-m-m-monster post!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if it's not a thing how'd i do it then?

the future is now!!!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

if it's not a thing how'd i do it then?

the future is now!!!

no, ur post is in the past

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont think i've ever seen a phd-comics, though. sounds like the profs you know are just wieners

this one is across the hall from me and it pisses me off. it exemplifies the phd-comics attitude i think.

i put up this on my door in protest

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus that's embarrassing; good on you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

what do you call it when someone takes an entire page, 40 posts?

10 quads in a row

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

no, ur post is in the past

yeah, get with it AJ, stop living in the past

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

10 quads in a row

this is truly the stuff of legends. i failed the one time i attempted it, maybe someone will succeed one day

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

this is truly the stuff of legends. i failed the one time i attempted it, maybe someone will succeed one day

godspeed, noble goon

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

smbc is good. xkcd was always very mixed, but i think the guy has settled into a good niche doing little factual diagrams of thought experiments and pointless things. e.g. todays, which i like just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats the dinosaur one