Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Strategic Tea posted:

I'd be wary of this because the head of goons in Eve is absolutely up for doxxing teenagers and ironically-not-ironically acting like that makes him an IRL intelligence officer.

The mittani quit afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

welp, rip :jensen:

More positively on Eve, I think the lore was that too many warp drives so close together caused the server to crash spacetime instability

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

The mittani quit afaik

In-game, where he was mostly a figurehead. Very little of the job actually required him to log in to the game so giving up the position is meaningless if he just rules from jabber/discord. I didn't really keep up with eve much after that but I know some "SA Goons™" formed their own corp because of it.

For the folks that missed the drama, Mittani is a sex pest. He defended a known pedo for several years and booted anybody that criticized him for it "for causing drama." His local kink community put out warnings not to let him get physically close at events.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pretty sure that wasnt on the spreadsheet

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My 20 million year moving average of BTC shows the price holding steady

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/status/1636410606461894659

same guy who sued the ftx celebrity spokesmen

suing meetkevin, graham stephan among others

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is shaq still in hiding

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is shaq still in hiding
I know you mean "staying out of the public eye" but I got a little giggle thinking about a 7'1" man that has been on TV for 30 years (I went and checked, he was drafted to the NBA in 1992) trying to hide behind a tree or wearing a costume to go incognito.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

CannonFodder posted:

I know you mean "staying out of the public eye" but I got a little giggle thinking about a 7'1" man that has been on TV for 30 years (I went and checked, he was drafted to the NBA in 1992) trying to hide behind a tree or wearing a costume to go incognito.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:lol: and also :lmao:

This is good for buttcoin

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That's an amazing picture.

But like, can you just avoid a lawsuit in the US indefinitely by being physically unreachable in terms of being served the papers? That seems somewhat exploitable for people who might be rich enough to just hide inside a large property and have other people do their shopping for them.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

But like, can you just avoid a lawsuit in the US indefinitely by being physically unreachable in terms of being served the papers? That seems somewhat exploitable for people who might be rich enough to just hide inside a large property and have other people do their shopping for them.

For a certain period of time, sure. In practice, they're required to try and serve you personally several times, and if they document that you're unreachable after several reasonable attempts, the judge will typically authorize papers being left at your home or place of business, or sent through certified mail. Failure to acknowledge these will get you a default judgement.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It's not like he has anything to be afraid of. This is America. Doing commercials for products you don't know anything about that are harmful to the public is what we should all aspire to do with our lives. None of these people are going to be liable for anything.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

The head of scientology tried to do this iirc, and after a while the judge ruled that his efforts to avoid being served showed that he knew there was a lawsuit against him and it could proceed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why not put service on Ethereum? You could send a contract with 2 functions, acknowledge and ignore. Ignore would simply do the same thing as acknowledge.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
A lotta yall still dont get it. Paper holders can use multiple summons juices on a single defendant. So if you have 1 astro summons and 3 summons juices you can create 3 new summons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

My 20 million year moving average of BTC shows the price holding steady

okay how about your 10^10^10^10^10^1.1 quettasecond moving avg?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

zedprime posted:

Why not put service on Ethereum? You could send a contract with 2 functions, acknowledge and ignore. Ignore would simply do the same thing as acknowledge.

I thought ooki dao voted on whether to acknowledge a served notice and that the vote was used to prove they received it, but I might be misremembering.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CannonFodder posted:

A lotta yall still dont get it. Paper holders can use multiple summons juices on a single defendant. So if you have 1 astro summons and 3 summons juices you can create 3 new summons.

lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

I thought ooki dao voted on whether to acknowledge a served notice and that the vote was used to prove they received it, but I might be misremembering.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

One weird trick lawyers don't want you to know!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i don't know how i really feel about the celeb endorsements. on the one hand.. don't listen to celebs, they probably don't use the items they promote anyways.. on the other.. they probably should have known better.

those youtube promoters though.. feel like they definitely should have some blame for this. it's unfortunate that they're only being used because of FTX and not because of other scams.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Strong Sauce posted:

i don't know how i really feel about the celeb endorsements. on the one hand.. don't listen to celebs, they probably don't use the items they promote anyways.. on the other.. they probably should have known better.

those youtube promoters though.. feel like they definitely should have some blame for this. it's unfortunate that they're only being used because of FTX and not because of other scams.

At the end of the day it mostly comes down to if they tried to give you specific financial advice.

I suspect that some of the social media people are a lot more open to that particular accusation than Matt Damon calling you a pussy for not buying crypto in general.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the end of the day it mostly comes down to if they tried to give you specific financial advice.

I suspect that some of the social media people are a lot more open to that particular accusation than Matt Damon calling you a pussy for not buying crypto in general.

yeah it would strike me as likely celebs had lawyers involved who made sure that their endorsement was generic and non-actionable, but social media influencers would have done stupid poo poo

that said, it is likely that celebs have real money to go after and social media influencers do not

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are a ton of ads that say things like 'man i love investing in this brand of financial vehicle!'

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

jokes posted:

There are a ton of ads that say things like 'man i love investing in this brand of financial vehicle!'

Are you talking about tiktok and youtube influencer types, or actual advertisements on TV?

Because the rules around what you can do re: endorsements are pretty firm and it's rare to find anyone crossing that line in an actual broadcast advertisement. You can tell people they should put their 401k with Schwab all day long, and you can even tell them they should buy all the crypto and NFTs they can get their hands on, but the second you say "you should buy THIS stock/bond/monkey jpeg" you get into some really deep waters, really fast.

edit: and yes, lots of people play a bit fast and loose with this calling it an editorial or whatever, see: Jim Cramer. I still can't quite figure out how the "this program is totally not financial advice, OK, now let me give you half an hour of financial advice" disclaimer is OK, but then I'm not a lawyer or a money surgeon or whatever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
look as long as you say "this is not financial advice" at some point during your financial advise you're safe from any repercussions

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Boxturret posted:

look as long as you say "this is not financial advice" at some point during your financial advise you're safe from any repercussions

"These are not drugs, do not ingest them" I say as I pull five kilos of cocaine, a pound of marijuana, and a full blotter of LSD out for my discerning customers to peruse. "By the way, the weed is some really good poo poo, so if one was to smoke it they'd go for a loving wild ride. But don't do that. Anyways that'll be $50 for an 8th but believe me it's worth it. For non-smoking, not-getting-high purposes only."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Find me a jury that will determine Jim Cramer is anything but schadenfreude entertainment with his hit rate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

"These are not drugs, do not ingest them" I say as I pull five kilos of cocaine, a pound of marijuana, and a full blotter of LSD out for my discerning customers to peruse. "By the way, the weed is some really good poo poo, so if one was to smoke it they'd go for a loving wild ride. But don't do that. Anyways that'll be $50 for an 8th but believe me it's worth it. For non-smoking, not-getting-high purposes only."
Jim Cramer is taking huge bong rips of poison ivy and going to the hospital in this analogy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

zedprime posted:

Find me a jury that will determine Jim Cramer is anything but schadenfreude entertainment with his hit rate.

The better question would be: "Would I have made more money by doing exactly the opposite of what he suggested?" At some point the advise is so bad that shorting anything he endorses would make you more cash.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zedprime posted:

Jim Cramer is taking huge bong rips of poison ivy and going to the hospital in this analogy.

:sickos:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Professional Financial Stuntman in a controlled environment. Do Not Try at Home.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The better question would be: "Would I have made more money by doing exactly the opposite of what he suggested?" At some point the advise is so bad that shorting anything he endorses would make you more cash.

You can do that. https://www.thestreet.com/etffocus/blog/inverse-cramer-etf-is-live

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Web3 is just reverse robin hood. Literally just 'how can we make something inefficient and expensive and designed only to siphon money from people.'

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I just pulled up to the thread and saw some posts about blitzball, is everything okay?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

evilweasel posted:

yeah it would strike me as likely celebs had lawyers involved who made sure that their endorsement was generic and non-actionable, but social media influencers would have done stupid poo poo

that said, it is likely that celebs have real money to go after and social media influencers do not

crypto is one of the few areas where I’d expect the Venn diagram of “stupid enough to say actionable things,” “wealthy enough to be worth suing,” and “does not have/listen a lawyer before speaking” has significant overlap in the middle.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

why did you post a picture of a tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why did you post a picture of a tree?

Dont be obtuse John Cena is in the picture as well