Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

this is gonna fall over and take salesforce tower with it and if we're lucky it will only kill hundreds of people but no one will do anything about it because rich people will lose money.

easy solution: imprison the rich people in the falling tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

classic traveller, megatravller, traveller: the new era, t4, gurps traveller, traveller d20, or mongoose traveller?

trick question, they all own (except t4 which sucked)

:chord:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Man, if somebody could make an app like that which is able to reliably and verifiably track weightlifting workouts, you'd be a billionaire from gym bros around the planet trying to show off/out-compete one another.

sounds like you need internet-enabled smart weights that cost a ton and somehow become un-liftable when the company goes out of business and shuts down the servers

VDP1
Mar 11, 2023
i've been visited by the
[**]Linux Gnu (cow)[**]

FMguru posted:

...or is located in a highrise built on landfill without a foundation so it is sinking and tilting! ( https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/millennium-tower-san-francisco-leaning )

quote:

The fix engineer, Ron Hamburger,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Mister Ronald Hamburger

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

Mister Ronald Hamburger

nee mcdonald

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shame Boy posted:

sounds like you need internet-enabled smart weights that cost a ton and somehow become un-liftable when the company goes out of business and shuts down the servers

congrats on your new Tonal

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol yellen just emphasized that your deposits being insured by fdic will depend entirely and arbitrarily on whether the fdic board considers your bank a systemic risk

bob dobbs was right

:munch:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

no he wasn’t. he was saying dozens of banks were gonna start falling right away and breathlessly parrotting the vcs crying about their need for a bailout.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol yellen just emphasized that your deposits being insured by fdic will depend entirely and arbitrarily on whether the fdic board considers your bank a systemic risk

bob dobbs was right

i saw this clip.

also yellen said rising unemployment is good because it disciplines workers lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

no he wasn’t. he was saying dozens of banks were gonna start falling right away and breathlessly parrotting the vcs crying about their need for a bailout.

no he was saying the collapses would take months / years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

what a piece of poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

what a piece of poo poo

- me, on any given day, discussing the united states

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

i saw this clip.

if your fellow working class is more domesticated than it has ever been since industrialized economies first emerged then you can expect that sort of openly-displayed base contempt from your ruling class yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

- me, on any given day, discussing you’re operating system

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pmchem posted:

this is chatgpt 3.5 free version but uh I think we're got a while before the bots take over the world

Your Opinion/Statement Is Poo, Oh Sorry

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

- me, on any given day, discussing the united states

if you dont like it, then get the hell out!!!!

thats what i did

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

bob dobbs was right

what should she do instead? if she says "everyone's insured" then bankers will do even more coke and gamble even more with depositor money. if she says "only these specific banks are insured" then it will trigger runs on all the other ones. "you might or might not be insured, if you don't wanna find out then don't gently caress around" doesn't seem like the worst middle ground.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

raminasi posted:

what should she do instead? if she says "everyone's insured" then bankers will do even more coke and gamble even more with depositor money. if she says "only these specific banks are insured" then it will trigger runs on all the other ones. "you might or might not be insured, if you don't wanna find out then don't gently caress around" doesn't seem like the worst middle ground.

they already did this. SVB was literally sending around notices saying "everything fully insured, no limits!"

which, yes, is begging to be modified into "everything fully insured? no, limits!"

but it's kinda true anyway

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

infernal machines posted:

what a piece of poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

took a minute to track down in the cspam thread

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1635982686111121408

loving disgusting

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

loving disgusting

i know you took time off yospos but we dont sign our posts anymore

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

loving disgusting

that's the bridge bank created by the fdic as part of the receivership process. so the fdic is directly responsible for that specific language because a) it's true and b) depositor confidence makes it easier for the fdic to not own the bank anymore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

raminasi posted:

that's the bridge bank created by the fdic as part of the receivership process. so the fdic is directly responsible for that specific language because a) it's true and b) depositor confidence makes it easier for the fdic to not own the bank anymore

and? it's still exactly what you said:

raminasi posted:

they are literally saying "everyone is insured, no limits" and "we are actively making new accounts and extending loans! no downside!"

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
they also want to drive up deposits so when they sell the bank off it's worth more

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

raminasi posted:

yeah don't get me wrong i wouldn't want to be in her position either. just commenting that we absolutely aren't anywhere close to being out of this mess yet. bob dobbs was right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AlbertFlasher posted:

they also want to drive up deposits so when they sell the bank off it's worth more

exactly. they are also encouraging people to do a bank run on the institutions that received the deposits that led to their collapse in the first place, and then some

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

and? it's still exactly what you said:

they are literally saying "everyone is insured, no limits" and "we are actively making new accounts and extending loans! no downside!"
"everyone" in that quote clearly specifically means "all banks" based on the alternative that is stated so this press release or whatever it is is not saying that

whether it is somehow bad for the FDIC to encourage more people to put their money in SVB I don't know

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 17, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah don't get me wrong i wouldn't want to be in her position either. just commenting that we absolutely aren't anywhere close to being out of this mess yet. bob dobbs was right

getting excited?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

"everyone" in that quote clearly specifically means "all banks" based on the alternative that is stated so they are not doing that

whether it is somehow bad for the FDIC to encourage more people to put their money in SVB I don't know

that doesn't matter. they are saying "everyone who deposits at SVB is fully insured up to any amount, which you will not get at another bank"

which probably is bad! they effectively removed consequences for the bank behaving badly. it also signals to other banks that they can fail and nothing will happen either

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Beeftweeter posted:

it also signals to other banks that they can fail and nothing will happen either

hmm, i'm not sure the shareholders that get wiped out in the process would call it "nothing"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Beeftweeter posted:

that doesn't matter. they are saying "everyone who deposits at SVB is fully insured up to any amount, which you will not get at another bank"

which probably is bad! they effectively removed consequences for the bank behaving badly. it also signals to other banks that they can fail and nothing will happen either

I mean, the bank was still seized and their $6.3 billion in equity is now literally worthless, so it's not a case of "nothing will happen". Depositors being protected while shareholders get wiped out is not exactly going to cause other banks to decide that they can also just go buck wild.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jabor posted:

hmm, i'm not sure the shareholders that get wiped out in the process would call it "nothing"

"an annoyance" maybe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the bank was still seized and their $6.3 billion in equity is now literally worthless, so it's not a case of "nothing will happen". Depositors being protected while shareholders get wiped out is not exactly going to cause other banks to decide that they can also just go buck wild.

what does that matter to the bank as an institution? they don't need the shareholders now, and the people working there are actually making 1.5x what they were

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AlbertFlasher posted:

it's not "also," this is the point. the fdic doesn't want to own the bank because long-term bank ownership isn't their job, and the more depositor money it has the more attractive it is to buyers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fart simpson posted:

getting excited?

not really, no

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

what does that matter to the bank as an institution? they don't need the shareholders now, and the people working there are actually making 1.5x what they were

what's "the institution" to you? executive leadership turned over. the logo? the workers?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Beeftweeter posted:

I mean, if you just want to see people who work at a bank punished for the Manichean evil of being bankers, then I can understand how it is unsatisfying that they are not being put into mediaeval torture devices just so they can properly suffer. But for every other bank out there, they still have to answer to their shareholders (and, in fact, many of the bank executives also hold significant shares in their banks as well). Those shareholders don't want to get wiped out, the C-suite doesn't want the millions of equity that's included in their TCP to become worthless, and the fact that some of the management will temporarily make more money during a bank failure (until the bank is fully absorbed and they are made redundant in the new organization) is not going to present significant moral hazard.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

raminasi posted:

what's "the institution" to you? executive leadership turned over. the logo? the workers?

...the bank as a business? yes, they are now under receivership, but removing the ceo is no guarantee that their actual practices will change. afaik the rest of the c-suite remains the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

...the bank as a business? yes, they are now under receivership, but removing the ceo is no guarantee that their actual practices will change. afaik the rest of the c-suite remains the same

if your problem is that the c-suite isn't being sufficiently punished, then how does screwing over uninsured depositors help? you think they don't care about shareholders, what makes you think they care about uninsured depositors?