Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
there have been studies and it is inconclusive

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7590607/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

toner is just plastic dust. seems fine to have in your lungs. pretty inert

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sagebrush exposed via the hn thread:

Mr.Radar posted:

surgical_fire 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Brazilian researchers find 'terrifying' plastic rocks on remote island

There's some beauty on it. Nature incorporates our garbage, and it becomes part of nature.

It might kill us, but then new creatures will evolve and grow, with plastic being part of their ecosystem, perhaps even desirable. In million years the future civilization of these creatures might have "plastic preservation programs" because the old plastic rocks are a finite resource upon witch their culture was built.

They might even gaze upon their plastic-filled oceans in awe, with some quasi-religious gratitude for the ancient race that gracefully filled the world with plastic that they might thrive.

who's to say if the ecological impact of plastics is good or bad? we will simply never know.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

everything is good in moderation

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you press a plastic rock hard enough it turns back into oil. It's renewable

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

“makin copies” he canonically died of printer fumes

you wanna be like a fictional character tob schneider played?!?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i found my brother 2270 (just usb not wifi) for $15 at the thrift store and havent changed the toner or anything. it just works

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

i found my brother 2270 (just usb not wifi) for $15 at the thrift store and havent changed the toner or anything. it just works

jonny 2270?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

idk, when i have to print out a ransom note I just go to kinkos and use their printers

you too good to cut out your own letters from magazines and newspapers? fucker.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

President Beep posted:

you too good to cut out your own letters from magazines and newspapers? fucker.

you still need to make copies, collate, and fax. I don’t think you’ve ever actually done this

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i only learned a few years ago that fax is short for fascimile

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

dioxazine posted:

i only learned a few years ago that fax is short for fascimile

yeah i facsimiled your mom

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

you still need to make copies, collate, and fax. I don’t think you’ve ever actually done this

:negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

bump_fn posted:

yeah i facsimiled your mom

:mad:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: three day weekend :toot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

ive never collated

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
c student s: race car building club workshop shut down by the fire marshall due to a "toxic odor" :gas:

if this causes anybody to actually audit our safety practices, i dont think the club will exist anymore

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you could become an outlaw race car building club

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

graph posted:

ive never collated

copied and faxxedded and collated my pants

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

dioxazine posted:

underground pinewood derby

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

underground pinewood derby

i won third place and got my picture in the paper :sun:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m not in the office

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

dioxazine posted:

operating a centuries old italian lathe in the tunnels under the university

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lord fifth posted:

operating a centuries old italian lathe in the tunnels under the university

lurking the catacombs, pulling gold teeth from the skulls of the dead to add to the allowed overall weight of the car.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

President Beep posted:

lurking the catacombs, pulling gold teeth from the skulls of the dead to add to the allowed overall weight of the car.

combination ballast and caltrops

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
dying from fumes in a catacomb has gotta be in my top 23 ways to go out

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

at my school the racecar team would get permission to run the car in the street around the engineering building a couple times a year and it was always cool to see that thing tearing rear end through campus

also after a big football win the students took down the goalposts and carried them to the racecar team workshop, where they cut the posts into rounds with hacksaws. my roommate ended up with a piece

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m not in the office

i'm in the office with my coworkers working on stuff. todays challenge is that the girls who code group is shorting out the 5v bus on some clients with arduinos

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
we test in parking lots and only run it on the streets with a convoy

they also crashed our test car into a parked bus last week :D so no more testing for a while probably. and they forgot to turn on my data acquisition system when they did it !!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

i'm in the office with my coworkers working on stuff. todays challenge is that the girls who code group is shorting out the 5v bus on some clients with arduinos

yeah, they'll do that

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
someone deleted 20T of data from an nfs mount

apparently this is a problem

but not for me

the correct response would be to yawn at the aggrieved parties and say “i told you so”

i however, will go rummaging around the 2 week old backup that i will not admit exists to anyone involved. maybe after my nap.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

graph posted:

I’m on the couch in moderate pain

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

fresh_cheese posted:

someone deleted 20T of data from an nfs mount

apparently this is a problem

but not for me

the correct response would be to yawn at the aggrieved parties and say “i told you so”

i however, will go rummaging around the 2 week old backup that i will not admit exists to anyone involved. maybe after my nap.

I almost deleted a very important file folder on a shared drive once

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m on the couch in moderate pain

march madness day two starts soon !

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
two big upsets yesterday led to 99.88% of brackets being instantly vaporized lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yay? i have a computer toucher interview, next week

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: My AD password expired two days ago and it's been a neverending process of convincing people to give me a temporary password because I can't remote in to change it when it's already expired, asking them to clear the "user must change password" flag so I can actually remote in, and now bullying them into believing me that I'm following the stated complexity rules and my new passwords are still being rejected.

The latest suggestions were to either come to the office to change them (haha no) or call them and read my new password to them over the phone so they can set it for me (HAHA NO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, they'll do that

what, code? i mean yeah i guess.