Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gnatalie posted:

ahhhh we give the auditors read access to everything in octopus deploy and let them have fun.

they don't pester us and the company is still sox compliant so i think it suffices

I guarantee you they do not know what that is or what a deploy tool is either. if they did they could have said "ok deploy the latest prod artefact build to the test env and also refresh the database back from production" which is actually dead simple to do but I'm not gonna do it unless asked and we have other stuff in that env anyway

last week they took screenshots of some code in gitlab as evidence of ??? and it was literally a wait loop that is used to just go "nothing to do, sleeping"

also these *are* the sox auditors lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the middle should just say "satan"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The only workable auditing is “prove you are following the procedures you say you are.”

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

makes me lose my dang mind when an engineering team writes its own processes and then doesn’t follow them. just write what you do!! who are you trying to impress with all of this poo poo you write and not one person has ever done!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
on today's misadventures:

1. We have a Github PR label called CI_SKIP that prevents automatic builds, intended for use in draft PRs or documentation updates.
2. Somebody wants to add a new label that they can use in draft PRs for continue-on-error behavior when running tests.

All good so far

3. What name did they choose? CI_NO_SKIP.
4. When asked to change it to IGNORE_ERRORS, their response was "no, we called it CI_NO_SKIP in our old project from two years ago"

gently caress I hate this job

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

1. We have a Github PR label called CI_SKIP that prevents automatic builds, intended for use in draft PRs or documentation updates.
2. Somebody wants to add a new label that they can use in draft PRs for continue-on-error behavior when running tests.

All good so far

4. When asked to change it to IGNORE_ERRORS, their response was "no, we called it CI_NO_SKIP in our old project from two years ago"

Time to start applying for new gigs!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

should be called CI_ON_SKIP, i would argue

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

makes me lose my dang mind when an engineering team writes its own processes and then doesn’t follow them. just write what you do!! who are you trying to impress with all of this poo poo you write and not one person has ever done!

customers and or regulators, who often ask for copies of this poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bloody posted:

I had to read and then say I'd read like 15 different policies about poo poo like "how changes are deployed to production" and I don't think a single one of them was followed except maybe the one saying "this is the policy that defines how we define the policies"

anyway I didn't read any of them and just kept clicking ok until I was done, gently caress all that

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the only thing I’ve seen be effective is when every outage has to be tied back to a causing change, and if it turns out there was a change but it wasn’t recorded, heads roll.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Poopernickel posted:

All good so far

ok so
CI_SKIP means skip CI builds
CI_NO_SKIP means dont skip CI builds

not sure i see the problem. unless i misread something, continue-on-error is ~orthogonal~ to that

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

ok so
CI_SKIP means skip CI builds
CI_NO_SKIP means dont skip CI builds

not sure i see the problem. unless i misread something, continue-on-error is ~orthogonal~ to that

Developer in question decided that CI_NO_SKIP is unrelated to whether CI runs or doesn't run, and should instead select continue-on-error behavior. His reasoning: "that's the label we're used to from our previous project". Reading his pipeline changes in the PR, that is indeed the behavior that he wants.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 17, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
so CI_SKIP skips all tests, and CI_NO_SKIP says don't skip any tests, even on test failure, easy

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

so CI_SKIP skips all tests, and CI_NO_SKIP says don't skip any tests, even on test failure, easy

A default run is a 90-minute C++ build followed by another 2 hours of automated test.

a CI_SKIP PR skips all CI actions, period. Compile, test, publish, everything. A PR with CI_SKIP on it is ignored by every automated thing we have.

a CI_NO_SKIP PR acts as if no label was set, except that all failures are treated as continue-on-error.

thanks, $employer

:suicide:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 17, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://github.com/ijl/orjson huh

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
and a CI_10_SKIP coupon means you can fail up to 10% of your tests and we’ll still deploy it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Poopernickel posted:

A default run is a 90-minute C++ build followed by another 2 hours of automated test.

a CI_SKIP PR skips all CI actions, period. Compile, test, publish, everything. A PR with CI_SKIP on it is ignored by every automated thing we have.

a CI_NO_SKIP PR acts as if no label was set, except that all failures are treated as continue-on-error.

thanks, $employer

:suicide:

welp

thats really dumb lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

people fuckin love making fast json parsers

wheres that one that uses the GPU to parallelize it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
boy howdy, I sure do love introducing Rust as a dependency because I'm too cool for the JSON parser that's literally built into the language I'm using

- Github user ijil

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

orjson and the other fast jsons are good because python is the slowest language anyone would use on purpose

the other popular one is ujson/ultrajson

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

lifg posted:

and a CI_10_SKIP coupon means you can fail up to 10% of your tests and we’ll still deploy it

:nice:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cpython is getting faster as of late supposedly. if that mypy type checker is sufficiently expressive and well-supported then python might be worth another look these days.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
if your application cares about how fast it's parsing JSON, then Python probably isn't the language you should be using.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

mypy is pretty good but pylance is about the same good and is easier to use imo. microsoft makes good developer tooling

newer versions of python also have protocols which puts the type system in "about as good as typescript, which is much better than golang" tier as far as modern dynamic languages go

Poopernickel posted:

if your application cares about how fast it's parsing JSON, then Python probably isn't the language you should be using.
having a better json library is a huge TCO reduction for services that run at scale but are owned by orgs that can't simply hire 250 rust developers to rewrite a system from scratch on a whim

as other people have noted cpython is also slowly exiting the "we made the language slow on purpose as a joke" zip code. if you look up all the non-python python libraries and combine them in your project, or use a framework that does it for you, you can run applications at a significant fraction of golang speed.

still slower than javascript. but you get dynamic/strong/gradual instead of whatever javascript has

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

12 rats tied together posted:

orjson and the other fast jsons are good because python is the slowest language anyone would use on purpose

the other popular one is ujson/ultrajson

yeah, we use ujson by default, but i want to put this through paces now, as it has some nice extras in addition to more performance

Poopernickel posted:

in the end of the day, customer facing networked poo poo is customer-facing networked poo poo. it's undeniably true that any non-comedy example will have network/io wait time take the vast majority of the profile trace, but cpu time isn't free either. especially when your server is literally dying because it has to do bunch of expensive ml poo poo

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

especially since iirc even asyncio releases the gil on network io. of course you should profile your poo poo if it actually matters but it is my experience that limiting the amount of time the cpu is chewing on python bytecode is pretty high leverage when it comes to overall perf

it's undoubtedly true that the majority of python web apps are just waiting on stripe though and it doesn't matter for them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah just profile the garbage app and its usually disk or io. maybe a bad loop. its generally not the parser unless youre that GTA port that got a 90% speedburst after some nerd disassembled it and discovered their json parser weas absolute garbage

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in the end of the day, customer facing networked poo poo is customer-facing networked poo poo. it's undeniably true that any non-comedy example will have network/io wait time take the vast majority of the profile trace, but cpu time isn't free either. especially when your server is literally dying because it has to do bunch of expensive ml poo poo

wait how does json parsing impact machine learning at all

like i can think up some pathological example that parses json in a loop on purpose but its not really ml-related

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait how does json parsing impact machine learning at all

like i can think up some pathological example that parses json in a loop on purpose but its not really ml-related

Perhaps someone made the decision to put ingestion/etl on the same box as the ML code?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: it was 70% but still lmao
https://nee.lv/2021/02/28/How-I-cut-GTA-Online-loading-times-by-70/

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 17, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MrQueasy posted:

Perhaps someone made the decision to put ingestion/etl on the same box as the ML code?

i guess? but that still implies a looot of json parsing that is likely redundant

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

Carthag Tuek posted:

i guess? but that still implies a looot of json parsing that is likely redundant

hot json at high velocity.avi

only 2 json calls per task - deserialize json input and serialize the eventual output to json. just a lot of tasks with big jsons on both ends, on the order of magnitude of megabytes per second per instance of throughput with local performance target below 20 ms per job, ideally below 10 ms per job (and ml poo poo taking several ms per call)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

okay yeah thats getting pretty tight if json is huge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hugh Jason

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

killed by autocorrect

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

killed by autocorrect

killed by :thejoke:

i wrote that intentionally to pun on my previous post

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
webshit that parses a few mb of json, does approximately zero work, then serializes a few mb of json is not exactly rare. the ideal solution is generally to just stop doing that, but that involves rewriting a bunch of code in a bunch of lovely microservices, while rolling out a faster json parser can make all of those microservices faster at once.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just removed a bunch of dead code two days ago and a few tickets trickled in, so I deployed the previous tag and am now applying each commit one-by-one to see where it broke.

I found the commit. It still looks like dead code. Guess I'll go function-by-function!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CPColin posted:

I just removed a bunch of dead code two days ago and a few tickets trickled in, so I deployed the previous tag and am now applying each commit one-by-one to see where it broke.

I found the commit. It still looks like dead code. Guess I'll go function-by-function!

:rip: i had something similar today, which is taking a project that has had 2 unfinished refactors applied to it, and doing a third refactor on top that. random undocumented variables etc, very great just commenting like 3 functions out of class because they're not used anywhere and then discovering empirically if it was or wasn't important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Plorkyeran posted:

webshit that parses a few mb of json, does approximately zero work, then serializes a few mb of json is not exactly rare. the ideal solution is generally to just stop doing that, but that involves rewriting a bunch of code in a bunch of lovely microservices, while rolling out a faster json parser can make all of those microservices faster at once.

stripped out protobufs from python code and made them go faster and smaller with gzipped json (very string heavy data)