Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

KirbyKhan posted:

I do not know how to identify someone
Everybody goes through this stage of Tarkov learning. Keep playing and you'll learn to identify movement, clothes, and gear to see who's who on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

KirbyKhan posted:

My big problem right now is hesitating to pull the trigger. I do not know how to identify someone as a scav, a PMC, or a player scav. It doesn't matter to my PMC runs because I just kill everyone. On my scav runs I do a Q/E wave/nod and sometimes someone stops and push to talks me and we just leave each other alone. Sometimes a dude just starts blasting me. Who knows the difference, I dont

If your goal is to just loot up and get a basic kit out, there's nothing wrong with never shooting as a scav until you've been hit. Sure, you'll die when people open fire on you, but you won't lose fence rep (that eventually leads to long scav timers).

Even if you identify a player scav as a scav, some players just don't care about their scav rep and will blast you even if you aren't wearing something that outwardly looks valuable. If you hear any jumping or see behavior that looks like a player, either relocate your rear end somewhere else or accept that they might off you even if you are the 'same team'. :shrug:

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Although it can be hard if you are objective driven, I would suggest just running raids and eventually you will accumulate quest items. Tarkov is notorious for the "watched pot" effect of not dropping items that you need.

If you have literally just started playing then your objectives could be as small-scale as "move to this extraction" or "kill x scavs". If you run enough of these then you will just happen accross salewas and USBs and it will feel like much less of a grind.

Also (unless you really want to) try not to scav too much, because it'll become your comfort zone. You can just scav into factory and head to the extract for a kit if you are completely broke.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Northern side of USEC camp and the southern side of the military base on woods are both good spots to find Salawas. Unfortunately they're both also high-traffic areas. Go there on your scav runs when you're not risking anything.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Herstory Begins Now posted:

one part of the solution to density of cheaters is doing stuff that increases retention/gets people back in the game which works to dilute the cheaters into a larger pool of players

key word there being 'part of' ofc

Counter argument. More players means more incentive for cheaters.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I finished colleagues part 3 and found my ledx on the same day. What a gift.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah there's a profit motive behind making the cheats, so the bigger playerbase the more active development is in making undetectable cheats.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bucnasti posted:

yeah though unfortunately that incentive doesn't go away until the game is like battlefield 2042 levels of dead

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So I'm taking a break from multiplayer tarkov thanks to the cheating epidemic and I set up SPT. Anyone got any mods they recommend for that? I've already gotten the Server Values Mod and I've used it to tweak a few things

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Tibbeh posted:

So I'm taking a break from multiplayer tarkov thanks to the cheating epidemic and I set up SPT. Anyone got any mods they recommend for that? I've already gotten the Server Values Mod and I've used it to tweak a few things

Finally got my mods and setting feeling good. Here's my mod list for SPT3.5.3:

Hephaestus
Andrudis-QuestManiac
Jiblet-LeKaiju-Orbitas-AmmoPouch-1.0.2
BetterKeys
Platinum-TheBlacklist-1.1.0
gunsmith
HideoutArchitect
ODT-ItemInfo-3.1.6
Revingly-MICC-3.7.0
Valens-Progression_v1.4.1
ServerValueModifier
zPlatinum-SPTRealismAmmoStats-1.0.2
ImmersiveTraderIcons-1.0.1
Dushaoan-MOAR-1.1.0

For plugins:
Time and weather changer
visceral ragdolls
bushwhacker
no mines
no bush esp

edit: also I have Amands Graphics, which I was never worried about any graphics mods but tried this one and it is a must and make some maps look much better like interchange and factory.

NJersey fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2023

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tibbeh posted:

I forgot the name of it but there's one that lets you control boss, raider, and rogue spawn chances. Really recommend that for the raw terror or running into Killa in dorms. I think its just like AllTheBosses

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Game is good and it is exercising all the hobby-grade gamer muscles I developed when I played League of Legends. It took two weeks and like 30 runs, but I am now having fun playing Tarkov.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Hell ya did you get your salewas

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
No, but I got Jaeger and bought the shotguns to push me forward on Prapovs questline. I also bought the Leatherman and started fiddling with the workbench and I'm about 75% of the way on like the first hideout upgrades. .

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Glad you're getting a handle on things. Enjoy the fun while it lasts. It'll last longer if you avoid the community like the plague, that includes reddit and discord and all streamers, no exceptions.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Are you suggesting that the poster even goes as far as avoiding this very thread

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

widespread posted:

Are you suggesting that the poster even goes as far as avoiding this very thread
Ten million IQ move

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

widespread posted:

I suggest clearing out when the single player tarkov fighting starts or when that one guy who cheats like hell and still thinks people will respect him shows up. Otherwise it's not a bad thread as long as good posters like yourself are still contributing :glomp:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what are you suggesting that someone didn't actually go through a transformation from a 200 hour player to a 6000 hour player in the course of a week?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Continuing with some smaller changes:

Fence reputation bonuses have been improved if you have higher reputation:
- At max LL, Fence now restocks items more frequently and prioritizes higher quality items;
- Scav-PMC extracts now give more reputation;
- Vehicle extract discounts are increased;
- Fence now pays more for items sold to him;
- Scav characters will now have higher chance of getting better equipment;
- Scav character cooldown is reduced;
- Scav box timer is reduced;
- Amount of available Scav extracts is increased.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If you're a new player, the only YouTube videos you should watch are AquaFPS videos, such that you know that you do not suffer alone

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Altered Escape single player client had a mod that added a trader who sold a lot of keys in exchange for smokes. I thought this was a cool addition and a good reason to collect extra loot that you might normally ignore

Is there a similar mod around for SPT?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Arrath posted:

The Altered Escape single player client had a mod that added a trader who sold a lot of keys in exchange for smokes. I thought this was a cool addition and a good reason to collect extra loot that you might normally ignore

Is there a similar mod around for SPT?

The Softcore mod has an alternative flea that only sells meds, barter items, and keys but it's barter only. So you might need to pay two cheese slices to buy wires, for example. It changes regularly and they still need to be found in raid. Some items can be paid in currency but it's random or on Fence, who also only sells that kind of stuff.

You end up wanting a bunch of random stuff so you can basically convert it into other stuff. I have piles of cigs, bandages, splints, and other low level stuff that i would normally ignore.

e; lab keys and marked keys cost money on flea, and they are expensive as heck. And I'm a hoarder now so i have no cash.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am indeed already running softcore! And I like its flea changes quite a bit. Guess I'll just keep grabbing every dumb little thing and stuffing it into my junk box.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Arrath posted:

I am indeed already running softcore! And I like its flea changes quite a bit. Guess I'll just keep grabbing every dumb little thing and stuffing it into my junk box.

It is the way to happiness.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
One thing I wish they implemented would be app based access or even web based access to the stash and traders so you could do it outside of the game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone try out deceive Inc?

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

NJersey posted:

Finally got my mods and setting feeling good. Here's my mod list for SPT3.5.3:

Realism ammo stats but no Realism base mod?

Been having a great time in SPT; some other mods I recommend are (I'm using an older 3.5 but theyre probably updated by now):

Fenixes No AI ESP; A good companion to the no bush esp mod, this one makes it so AI dont detect you aiming at them prone from a bush 200m away.
Adrenaline: Gives you a short (adjustable, default 30s, 5 secs is probably better imo) painkiller effect so you aren't 100% dead the moment an ai shoots you and a legshot isnt a guaranteed sniper kill on an enemy.
Samswats reflex sight rework: apparently he does some scope ones too that werent updated, but might be by now. This one makes those lovely tiny reflex scopes actually usable.
-Also from samswat; the custom Leupold DEVO sight is a sick over under 1x/6x
LootBag API +Lootboxes/Realistic MREs: Feel so fufilled: Lootboxes adds little random loot boxes that are just fun to grab later on when you mostly dont need more specific loot. MRES makes it so you unpack them into further random foods.
Goggles++: makes NVGs no long take up half the screen with black space. now that NVGs aren't so bright and IR flashlights are available, this isnt really overpowered or anything, it just makes me not feel like I have to freelook around all the time. Also makes Thermal vision variable coloured while its at it, great for feeling like the predator.
Clear Thermals: Makes thermal scopes not artificially low FPS and gives them a better resolution, outright makes the reflex thermal actually usable! (Though niche, since its still pricey and has a tiny screen)

Another thing is fter a while I got bored of having to be so conservative vs ai all the drat time because the time to kill is so fast (Though I think my version still has the aimbot bullshit AI from start of wipe to be fair) I just wasn't surviving any engagements if I ever actually got hit at all so I bumped my HP up (I think I just copied shturmans stats) with SVM, got Tyrs Fragmentation setter to turn fragmentation off (Its broken on every level, especially on scavs) and got Medical Attention and gave medical tools about double usage values for all of them to compensate. Still incredibly easy to die, but more on the levels of say: STALKER hardcore mods with max difficulty AI instead of "Die in half a second via blunt torso damage from a scav while wearing a slick"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I swear to god I'm on a quest to disable the fuckin Goons where ever I run into them. Last night I was heading to the weather station on Shoreline for Signal Pt 1, turns out they'd spawned there. I manage to evade sniper fire and get close, only for Big Pipe to peek over the hill and annihilate me.

Today I saunter into Customs to mark fuel tankers and spawn next to Crackhouse. Might as well loot it, guess they spawned at Fortress and decided to wander on over. Again mr Big Pipe gunned me down with that stupid honey badger. I killed Bird Eye first and put some pain on Big Pipe, but 37 hits just wasn't enough to save my life. Should've taken the time to pop his head since he decided to throw a frag but I was running Killa's RPK (not with Igolnik) so I just started blasting.

They've now been disabled from spawning on both maps. Assholes.

One annoying thing: I'm very much a tinkerer. I keep tweaking little things here or there in the jsons, when an airdrop will come, the loot chances, fiddling with the medical item values (thanks for recommending that mod! goes great with my slightly increased health), tweaking what I think is hydration/energy drain. Its just that the drat thing loves to overwrite the files with the defaults on occasion. I think I tracked it down to deleting the user/cache folder before launching after making changes, but I'm not yet sure it's foolproof.

The server value changer popped a virus alert when I went to download it, probably a good old "little man compiled an exe and its not signed by $BigCorp so FLAG IT FLAG IT FLAG IT" behavior from chrome/windows defender but eh I'm still playing it safe.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 30, 2023

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Arrath posted:

I swear to god I'm on a quest to disable the fuckin Goons where ever I run into them.

I disabled them from every map because they aren't fun to me. Getting my eyeballs loaded with buckshot halfway across the map by a scav is way less frustrating then getting destroyed for even thinking about getting near the fortress.

quote:

One annoying thing: I'm very much a tinkerer. I keep tweaking little things here or there in the jsons, when an airdrop will come, the loot chances, fiddling with the medical item values (thanks for recommending that mod! goes great with my slightly increased health), tweaking what I think is hydration/energy drain. Its just that the drat thing loves to overwrite the files with the defaults on occasion. I think I tracked it down to deleting the user/cache folder before launching after making changes, but I'm not yet sure it's foolproof.

I figured out how to mod a little because I got annoyed redoing the json files after update number 3 in like two weeks for spt-aki. My little mod does database changes like letting you toss a stock on the MP5k and slightly increases raid times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

REDjackeT posted:

I disabled them from every map because they aren't fun to me. Getting my eyeballs loaded with buckshot halfway across the map by a scav is way less frustrating then getting destroyed for even thinking about getting near the fortress.

I'm well on my way to it, those guys completely suck.

quote:

I figured out how to mod a little because I got annoyed redoing the json files after update number 3 in like two weeks for spt-aki. My little mod does database changes like letting you toss a stock on the MP5k and slightly increases raid times.

I started to look into that last night before I figured out deleting the cache folder. I then decided to be lazy and copy the aki_data\and user\mod\ folders to my desktop, make my edits in there, and copy them back. Then if anything gets overwritten again I'll just copy 'em in again until they stick. My stubbornness knows no bounds.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kwolok posted:

Anyone try out deceive Inc?

I did and loved it. Not really EFT related. But the beta was fun as poo poo, but i'm not paying for it.

So the EFT launcher got hacked and was promoting hacks? What happened with that?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ShowTime posted:

I did and loved it. Not really EFT related. But the beta was fun as poo poo, but i'm not paying for it.

So the EFT launcher got hacked and was promoting hacks? What happened with that?

Yeah it's shocking to me that it's not free to play.

Speaking of the cycle just launched season 3 and is claiming no more wipes ever. It's pretty fun.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

:tif:

Don't worry, BSG says they didn't get any sensitive info, there's no way they could have put malware on your pc, and they've taken care of it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ChesterJT posted:

:tif:

Don't worry, BSG says they didn't get any sensitive info, there's no way they could have put malware on your pc, and they've taken care of it.

It's just a mirror due to their main site being down on account of overwhelming normal traffic :v:

only took like what, a few years before we got hacks on the launcher?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

REDjackeT posted:

So I started doing this too because I was also annoyed at having to redo changes again and again. Something in the bepinex patcher/aki server/launcher chain is very aggressive about, idk, protecting file integrity? It's frustrating as all hell.

I've had the game overwrite changes I've made to a mod's config file! Where it pulls these original files from, I have no idea. I cant find an obviously titled folder lurking in my appdata or elsewhere, anyway.

To start with I did the easy route: adding a couple lines to the code of a mod I was already using, changing some item properties. Load in: they're the same. Weird, close out, let's check the code!

...the file had been restored to its state from the last time I launched. My changes were gone.

I even did a fresh spt install to see if something was funky (I had originally copied it across from my desktop to my laptop after all) still the same poo poo. And the whole "delete the cache folder" truck was only working sometimes. The best solution I've found so far is: keeping all the files I've changed open in notepad++, launch the game, close the game, tell notepad I don't want to update the files with the new changed contents, save them again, launch again. Now my changes are there. It's the weirdest poo poo.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
That is very weird. I've never had it revert a config on its own. I've never had it revert a json either.

I made my own mod by using their mod examples as a base rather than editing an existing mod, but i still don't know why it would revert changes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mae posted:

If you're a new player, the only YouTube videos you should watch are AquaFPS videos, such that you know that you do not suffer alone

I watched a bunch of his stuff, feels good. I got most of my Tarkov viewing from Halfman who is a little more sweaty.

I have successfully done Prapor's search mission in Woods for USEC Camp and now just kinda do that route recreationally. It was super fun learning the layout of the map run by run. If I actually want to get good I should, one day, I should load up an offline map and do a proper tour of each stash. I've got about 10 of them. But right, I'm enjoying a little 20 minute walk through the woods every two or 3 times a week.

I like doing scav runs on interchange. Ive learned the map enough to turn on the power and go into the mall and maybe grab some tech loot on the way out. I've done enough runs that I've got like 5 things in the hideout upgraded. I was fuckin HYPE when I got my second box of matches. I am not going to play this map on PMC tho, that poo poo is for certified freaks who like being spooked.

No, I have not found my 3rd In Raid Salewa

Right now,

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Good place to hunt for those in Woods is the Military Encampment, if you happen to spawn next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Lexos dealership on streets also has 3 medical spawns close together with a decent chance for salewas. One in the file cabinet emporium, one in the room you crawl into, and another in the southeast corner of the east concordia building. You can scav in, hit those three spots, then leave through sewer manhole in under 5 minutes. I have found 3 ledxs so far in about 25 runs with this hot strat.