Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i wonder if the dude who said "lets add chat to sharepoint" got a promotion or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I'm sure this person certainly did!!

Edge is getting a built-in cryptowallet, just in time!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...comments-page=1

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm shocked by how much I hate Teams now that I have to use it on a daily basis

I'd rather have separate apps for meetings, chat and document collaboration than one giant piece of poo poo that tries to do everything badly
It's kind of tolerable for meetings but yeah everything else makes me really upset. As if the web versions of Office apps weren't bad enough, having them within teams is just infuriating. Among many other things.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chrome edge started out strong and now is sliding into "suck" territory with each new monetization idea.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it really seems like it wants to just be internet explorer 12 after all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if i see that wallet bullshit even once, i'm uninstalling edge

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

if i see that wallet bullshit even once, i'm uninstalling edge

that bing bar bullshit almost got me to. but I don't know what I'd switch to now.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mobby_6kl posted:

Edge is getting a built-in cryptowallet, just in time!

lmfao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

brave looks good until you scroll down to the very bottom of their page and it's all crypto bullshit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
just install firefox you nerds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Firefox or Vivaldi if you have to use something chromium based

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i still haven't seen a very good reason not to use the oss chromium itself, it mostly has the bullshit stripped out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's ungoogled chromium as well isn't there?

bit of a pain to install ubo into though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

maybe? the open source one is pretty easy to install extensions into, but not as easy as firefox or something

otoh i see new reasons not to use edge near daily lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

just install firefox you nerds

i already use firefox for everything except work specific stuff.

i can use it for that too, it's just been convenient to keep that in a separate browser, and edge was right there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also edge would do netflix 4k. since i cancelled netflix, it doesn't really matter now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bad screen has chrome for work stuff and firefox for channeling the splendor of my posts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i still haven't seen a very good reason not to use the oss chromium itself, it mostly has the bullshit stripped out

a site that purports to offer "stable" release builds of chromium posted:

Since the beginning of the Chromium project until today, there is no binary of stable Chromium shared by the official team.
The official website is development oriented. Users are invited to download Google Chrome.
The official download page gives to users only ZIP archives of development builds (also known as "snapshot", "nightly", "vanilla" or "raw" builds) which can be very unstable. Users are invited to download Google's Chrome Canary.
This site gives to users a choice of builds: development (also on its simplest download page), stable and portable builds.

the oss experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

chrome edge started out strong and now is sliding into "suck" territory with each new monetization idea.

they just can't loving help themselves. bing exists. no one chooses to use bing, but people use it because it's a default. let's keep jamming poo poo no one wants in as defaults!

why don't people like our products?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, despite being real happy to get on the edge train, and having genuinely found it a good place to be, they are getting to the point where i am genuinely thinking about switching elsewhere.

but ofc not to firefox, my general preference is for things to work, and obviously not to chrome, less visible poo poo but googles tracking is deeper and goes into a worse pile, so i am on to the ones i can't spell. maybe vivanti or brake or something.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you can use iphone with phone link now on win 11 preview like you used to with dell/alienware before intel purchased it and slaughtered it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the oss experience

admittedly that does suck, although there are some that will auto-update (if you're willing to trust the sources, which to be clear isn't a great idea)

otherwise building it yourself really isn't that difficult. it takes a while at first of course but once you get the initial build going pulling changes and recompiling is pretty quick

obviously that will not work for everyone though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

admittedly that does suck, although there are some that will auto-update (if you're willing to trust the sources, which to be clear isn't a great idea)

otherwise building it yourself really isn't that difficult. it takes a while at first of course but once you get the initial build going pulling changes and recompiling is pretty quick

obviously that will not work for everyone though

the oss experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if i had a specific need for chromium i would probably use that, but i can just set up a work profile in firefox.

the only specific use case for edge was 1080p+ streaming in netflix, and welp.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah, i honestly can't think of much that doesn't work in firefox. the rendering speed is pretty similar too, but it depends on what you're doing (poo poo like webgl will definitely be slower, wasm kinda depends, etc.)

for just web browsing its fine though

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
installing websites as apps so they show up on their own window/icon/etc is nice, so I don't have a barrage of tabs which get forgotten.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

you can kinda do that with firefox, and chrome definitely, but it's probably not as slickly integrated as using edge would be (i assume, i don't use edge or standalone web apps in general really)

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

if a site doesn't work in firefox and takes more than two clicks in noscript, it probably isn't worth using

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use firefox for everything, suits my needs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am a web developer by experience and predilection too :mmmhmm:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm shocked by how much I hate Teams now that I have to use it on a daily basis

I'd rather have separate apps for meetings, chat and document collaboration than one giant piece of poo poo that tries to do everything badly

doing almost any of the planner/document/whiteboard functions in the teams app is really garbage for some reason.
They load faster and operate 100x better in a normal browser tab.
Which completely defeats the purpose of adding them to channels!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wow, that logo is really turning me on!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

brave looks good until you scroll down to the very bottom of their page and it's all crypto bullshit.
I figured the Peter Thiel and Brendan Eich connections would dissuade anyone sensible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i kinda miss netscape navigator

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:hmmyes:

Celexi posted:

installing websites as apps so they show up on their own window/icon/etc is nice, so I don't have a barrage of tabs which get forgotten.

Don't use web apps, problem solved.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, i honestly can't think of much that doesn't work in firefox. the rendering speed is pretty similar too, but it depends on what you're doing (poo poo like webgl will definitely be slower, wasm kinda depends, etc.)

for just web browsing its fine though
Edge can be massively faster in JS-heavy tasks and it makes a real difference on mobile or low-end hardware

mobby_6kl posted:

So recently performance tests of FF vs Chrome made the rounds (probably not for the first time): https://www.phoronix.com/news/Firefox-Chrome-109-Benchmarks

At first I was like whatever, it's fast enough, I don't even need to look. But then I thought... if there's a difference in performance, there's also a difference in efficiency and...

Holy poo poo, I tested it and Edge on my Celeron laptop is only half as fast as Firefox on a 13900k. Almost 80% more energy than Edge to do the test as well.

E: forgot to update the screenshot with axis labels, it's CPU power over time in seconds

That's a pretty extreme test but I also tried just reloading the youtube front page four times and it's about 37% more energy. Doesn't matter on the desktop but I think I'll go try Vivaldi on the battery and performance challenged laptop. That's a bummer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

honorlock only works with chrome so i have to keep a copy installed on my work laptop but that's all it gets used for. firefox with ublock origin has been needs suiting for quite a while, and i don't see any reason to change.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda miss netscape navigator

having to pay for your browser was the best gatekeeping

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Edge can be massively faster in JS-heavy tasks and it makes a real difference on mobile or low-end hardware

huh, as a fellow celeron haver this is interesting. how does it perform vs. chrome?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

having to pay for your browser was the best gatekeeping

besides which the netscape money continues to have a great impact to this day, makes you think

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

git apologist posted:

i use firefox for everything, suits my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

embrace the failfox mindset and your browsing experience will be less bad