Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
started playing the PC port of Returnal last night, seems pretty fun, and despite what people are saying I'm not seeing any stutter anywhere. though idk how i feel about the core gameplay mechanic being dodge-rolling bullet hell since it's kind of hard to judge incoming bullet distance precisely in a 3D gameplay environment.

also i'm gonna restart due to various self-inflicted Severe Linux Bullshit that prevents all in-game videos from playing, so i'm missing a bunch of story stuff and if a cycle starts with you having to lie down in your bed (presumably to get more story) then it just softlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quiggy posted:

$60 is a pretty wildly low cost considering how expensive games are to make, but unfortunately the extra money from selling them for more are almost certainly gonna go to the execs and not the people actually, y'know, making the games

idk a movie is like $15 and those are expensive to make too

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the new legend of zelda game is $70 USD which is unheard of for a switch game apparently

still cheaper than snes games

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RokosCockatrice posted:

Barotrauma is on sale, and it's is the best game I don't have time to play. They just released a 1.0 and I need a cadre of friends to take a crack at it with.

It's set in a not too distant future where humans have made it to Titan, and it turns out under the ice there's a thriving ecosystem of megafauna straight out of lovecraft. The core of the game is a submarine based systems manager sim, with several crew members and functions to manage, between the electronics and mechanics and actual sub captaining and fighting. It was designed with multiplayer in mind so things like voice chat are first class features, with in-world mechanics. And with randomly generated maps and missions and crew, and permadeath, it has a nice roguelike-together feel.

Long story short, the best part of the game is when a monstrosity has punched a whole in your hull, the decks are flooding, and you need to think on your feet before crush depth. Amazing stuff.

barotrauma is a lot of fun that I wish I had more free time to play

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
c sekiro s: pooped all over genichiro, was expecting him to be an rear end in a top hat but i still got it :whatup:

he absolutely wrecked me for the longest time first time through but he also forced me to learn how to play the game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didnt realize that diablo 4 had an imminent launch. im really tempted but man it's expensive. i might go ahead and pre-order for the horsey(s) but lmao gently caress getting spoilers during a beta test. i guess there's a few months before the real launch to figure out what i want to do, though

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if it doesn't include deckard caine bellowing at me about some fuckin cube or staff then i'm not interested.

YOU MUST LOCATE THE HORADRIC CUBE!!!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i picked up dead cells on sale. not really clicking with me so far.

is barotrauma playable in single player or is it just not worth it without friends?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Truman Peyote posted:

i picked up dead cells on sale. not really clicking with me so far.

is barotrauma playable in single player or is it just not worth it without friends?

It kinda really needs at least two humans. It's only semi-playable in single player.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speaking of Returnal though i don't get the appeal of modern roguelikes, because they're just prettied-up NES games where you're headbutting about three hours of content from start to finish over and over again until you overcome the whole thing from start to finish more or less by brute force. it feels like a very crappy form of game design from the days when developers couldn't realistically produce more than a few hours of gameplay content (and then charged ~$100 today-dollars for it) so they just forced you to play it over and over again.

that's how it was for me playing Hades at least. yeah you can stack an endless array of stupid difficulty modifiers and you can clear it over and over again to get drip fed some bits of story but there's just not that much game there. i don't understand how there's still people playing Binding of Isaac for ten years (although i haven't played that game because it looks like one big interactive poop and fart joke much like my posting etc etc).

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the fun of roguelikes is cobbling together good builds from a combination of intention and improvisation imo, brute force doesn't really come into it at all

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the fun of video games is the doing; if you want to passively consume content then watch a movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pile Of Garbage posted:

if it doesn't include deckard caine bellowing at me about some fuckin cube or staff then i'm not interested.

YOU MUST LOCATE THE HORADRIC CUBE!!!

if he doesn't say "you have quite a treasure there" I'm uninstalling

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pseudorandom name posted:

the fun of video games is the doing; if you want to passively consume content then watch a movie

look at this nerd who never enjoyed cookie clicker

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also i haven't played returnal specifically but in general the fun of roguelikes comes from the randomness and the need to adapt to whatever the game throws at you. a really good roguelike will lead you to have to adopt new strategies on the fly and prevent you from always doing the same thing each time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
returnal is fairly weak as far as its roguelike aspect, your "build" is whether or not you lucked out on a weapon with a good set of attributes and everything else is just minor situational combat options

as a shooter and a graphics showcase it's fantastic

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

that's how it was for me playing Hades at least. yeah you can stack an endless array of stupid difficulty modifiers and you can clear it over and over again to get drip fed some bits of story but there's just not that much game there. i don't understand how there's still people playing Binding of Isaac for ten years (although i haven't played that game because it looks like one big interactive poop and fart joke much like my posting etc etc).

hades was ok, but i think a big part of it being so popular was just people getting horny over literally everything they see on twitter and that kind of feedback loop you get when you let a group of nerds get horny and don't spray them with a water bottle

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hades also has really, really stellar moment-to-moment gameplay. ask a destiny player, good game feel can make up for a whole lot of grindiness and repetition

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

maybe this was an instance where playing on switch failed me. ive heard people _say_ that the combat was really solid and precise, but to me it always felt kind of clunky and like the timing on animations and stuff was a little wrong, and it kinda felt like hitboxes didn't match up with animations and such. also it'd stutter when there were a bunch of projectiles going on, which was frustrating.

also i never hosed with "god mode" or whatever it was to make it easier, even though i'm bad at video games. so i never got past theseus and the minotaur iirc. maybe once?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i played on switch and thought it was fine :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the tick-tock structure of hades was absolutely perfect for me

when you die in a run no matter how bullshit it was you always get new character dialog and arc advancements. and when you're done with all those you feel ready for another run. and then it's 2 in the morning

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

that’s supergiants MO, the story and setting are drip fed so you’re always on the hook to keep playing

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

hades was fun and a wonderful game, i think i'm still not done with it in regards to new dialogue

watching the misogynists melt down about hades 2 is almost as fun

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the combat in Hades was fairly fast and twitchy yeah. it felt like i'm button mashing but if i stopped paying attention i'd die pretty quickly so i guess there's some art to it.

slowdown wise i didn't really see any until i got to the final boss who is a massive difficulty spike. but then switching the game from vulkan to d3d made the slowdowns go away and i beat the final boss pretty soon after doing that. the devs talked a lot about how they made the final boss a mashup of various other bosses and enemies' distinctive attacks to try and give you a chance to practice dealing with the moveset without having to slog all the way to the end before you could start to learn the fight effectively, but the difficulty spike was still kind of annoying in the sense that if you don't have at least 50% of your entire run's health+rez budget left going into it then you may as well just reset the run right there because it's simply not going to happen. loving delayed windup and slow crawling screen-wide explosion bullshit.

there are some really fun and challenging boss fights in fromsoft games that feel great because they're almost dance-like, they have tempo and momentum to them and both combatants will react to each other, creating and exploiting openings. champ gundyr, gael, sword saint, malenia (minus her stupid super-move). i didn't get that from any of the fights in hades, they just feel like a scrappy mess where there's a bunch of poo poo coming at you from all directions all the time. it's probably just a legitimately different style of gameplay with a different sort of appeal but it doesn't appeal to me.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if you like fights that feel like a dance then may i suggest the critically-acclaimed mmorpg final fantasy xiv,

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quiggy posted:

if you like fights that feel like a dance then may i suggest the critically-acclaimed mmorpg final fantasy xiv,

:mad:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

the combat in Hades was fairly fast and twitchy yeah. it felt like i'm button mashing but if i stopped paying attention i'd die pretty quickly so i guess there's some art to it.

slowdown wise i didn't really see any until i got to the final boss who is a massive difficulty spike. but then switching the game from vulkan to d3d made the slowdowns go away and i beat the final boss pretty soon after doing that. the devs talked a lot about how they made the final boss a mashup of various other bosses and enemies' distinctive attacks to try and give you a chance to practice dealing with the moveset without having to slog all the way to the end before you could start to learn the fight effectively, but the difficulty spike was still kind of annoying in the sense that if you don't have at least 50% of your entire run's health+rez budget left going into it then you may as well just reset the run right there because it's simply not going to happen. loving delayed windup and slow crawling screen-wide explosion bullshit.

there are some really fun and challenging boss fights in fromsoft games that feel great because they're almost dance-like, they have tempo and momentum to them and both combatants will react to each other, creating and exploiting openings. champ gundyr, gael, sword saint, malenia (minus her stupid super-move). i didn't get that from any of the fights in hades, they just feel like a scrappy mess where there's a bunch of poo poo coming at you from all directions all the time. it's probably just a legitimately different style of gameplay with a different sort of appeal but it doesn't appeal to me.

check out the game rimworld OP

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

u just described every encounter in sekiro, from softwares best game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i dont think anything will top the first time you face / beat sword saint, its like the absolute best way to end a game, 12/10 climax

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

they just feel like a scrappy mess where there's a bunch of poo poo coming at you from all directions all the time

this is exactly how I felt. and while I probably should've just turned on "get easier over time" mode, I kind of felt like there wasn't anything really new or interesting happening with respect to actual gameplay, so I eventually just kinda put it down

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

check out the game rimworld OP

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
bought cyberpunk earlier this week and just rage-deleted it lol, after the 20th time the game put me in a situation where the game blocked me from saving and I had to sit through a minute or longer cutscene to try again every time I died.

I wouldn't be so pissed about it if the game was mediocre, but it was *so close* to being actually good. 20% of it is goddam amazing, but the rest is a catastrophe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

bought cyberpunk earlier this week and just rage-deleted it lol, after the 20th time the game put me in a situation where the game blocked me from saving and I had to sit through a minute or longer cutscene to try again every time I died.

I wouldn't be so pissed about it if the game was mediocre, but it was *so close* to being actually good. 20% of it is goddam amazing, but the rest is a catastrophe.

The entire RPG system is garbage and terrible for the setting. I really wanted to like it and the storytelling was genuinely good but I agree that it doesn't quite make it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i really liked The Ascent when it wasnt crashing, which was most of the time. Gonna give it another go one of these days.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

toiletbrush posted:

The game is fun up until you hit the steam refund time limit. Then it becomes a bad gta

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Crow posted:

i dont think anything will top the first time you face / beat sword saint, its like the absolute best way to end a game, 12/10 climax
:hfive: beating that old fucker is like if Victory were somehow distilled into an emotion. sekiro is so good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in jedi fallen order the former jedi mid-game boss in dathomir is a respectable entry in this style of boss fight as well

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i bought dishonored 2 and started playing it a bit this afternoon. it's pretty good so far!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
dishonored 2 has some really cool levels but tying the endings to how many people you kill effectively limits you to half the games abilities if you want the good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i really liked The Ascent when it wasnt crashing, which was most of the time. Gonna give it another go one of these days.

The Ascent is solid, but what's really good is Descent.

Kuvo posted:

dishonored 2 has some really cool levels but tying the endings to how many people you kill effectively limits you to half the games abilities if you want the good one

the one where you turn into a shadow and crawl along the floor is rad as hell.