Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

as long as their back haul is decent, I’m ok with that

having tested such equipment vaguely recently, 1xRTT and the similarly bandwidth constrained LTE CatM is practically unusable with the modern internet. even lte cat-1 is very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

along those lines I think I mentioned it in here before but a few years ago I tested an “IoT” satellite link that was effectively like 9600 baud and low priority so had ping times on the order of 2 seconds.

it is not possible to complete a normal “best practices” ssl handshake with that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in other “what are we even doing anymore” old man yelling at cloud topics I just had to increase the disk space on a build vm because 40 gigs wasn’t enough to build a small yocto image

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Yotta Linux

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yellow dog linux

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yellow dog linux

i was so bummed that i couldnt run it because i didnt have a powerpc machine. i had a yellow dog dangit! i should run that linux!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd like to see this yellow good dog

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'd like to see this yellow good dog

lucky for you, he was such a good dog that i had a framed picture of him in the closet that i dug out:

he didn't eat for over a week when i left for college

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

very good dog! :3:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
yellow dog on non-mac ppc is an adventure

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

lucky for you, he was such a good dog that i had a framed picture of him in the closet that i dug out:

he didn't eat for over a week when i left for college

such a good boy, the best boy

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

five 911 of uptime :nsa:
that's gonna cost ya

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

if you do find a CDMA/EVDO tower then it's prolly the FBI

This post had me googling to try to remember the stories I read of places building their own custom cell networks but apparently this is all GSM instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rick posted:

This post had me googling to try to remember the stories I read of places building their own custom cell networks but apparently this is all GSM instead.

do you mean the new cbrs small cell stuff or the rural local carriers that could use the major MNO’s spectrums because they didn’t want to provide service to every single hollar

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

do you mean the new cbrs small cell stuff or the rural local carriers that could use the major MNO’s spectrums because they didn’t want to provide service to every single hollar

my employer (a wisp) does that and the frequencies are coordinated by a clearinghouse run by some defense contractors and...google

it barely breaks into the third 9 for uptime, and its all off until the clearinghouse says its okay. db down? all customers hard down. navy ship 500 miles way? hard down

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

very good dog! :3:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

my employer (a wisp) does that and the frequencies are coordinated by a clearinghouse run by some defense contractors and...google

it barely breaks into the third 9 for uptime, and its all off until the clearinghouse says its okay. db down? all customers hard down. navy ship 500 miles way? hard down

do you have a PAL or GAA? I wouldn’t have expected such a mess with the former but I guess I’m not surprised

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

i was so bummed that i couldnt run it because i didnt have a powerpc machine. i had a yellow dog dangit! i should run that linux!

get an old ps3 with older firmware, since yellow dog linux is the official linux distribution for the ps3, the only console by a major game console manufacturer that specifically allowed dual booting into linux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cell processing at the time was trying to get in front of the heterogenous computing pipeline but the whole cool poo poo about the spu and ppu and etc could not hold a candle to the raw processing power of gpgpu cards

but it sure made headlines for the ps3-based clustered supercomputer that the us air force made because ps3s were sold at a loss

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

hobbesmaster posted:

having tested such equipment vaguely recently, 1xRTT and the similarly bandwidth constrained LTE CatM is practically unusable with the modern internet. even lte cat-1 is very annoying.

wrt latency? i remember the bandwidth itself being more or less okay-ish

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

do you have a PAL or GAA? I wouldn’t have expected such a mess with the former but I guess I’m not surprised

solidly GAA, a lot of new connections are cbrs (20% of 2000-ish) but the financial reality of a small company to spend $100k on 10Mhz of PAL was pointless. everyone else is 10 times the size and just poo poo up 5ghz so cbrs has been useful, just like 6/11ghz licensed stuff has been

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm an idiot so I don't know what that means, but the ones I was reading about, they use OpenBTS to make their own GSM network that basically runs on an entry level small business server as opposed to needing a full server farm. There is another article that I can't find again where a small community in a desert town made an analog cell network based on some MIT grad project or something.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ItsSimonTime/status/1636857478263750656

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

wtf how does that even happen

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://social.treehouse.systems/@marcan/110044191704911469

they weren't erasing the original so depending on how they wrote the new image, the old one could still be there

duz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 18, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

they weren't erasing the original so depending on how they wrote the new image, the old one could still be there
to be fair I guess it's only half the fault of the company that makes the pixel phones and half the fault of the company that makes android

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Rick posted:

I'm an idiot so I don't know what that means, but the ones I was reading about, they use OpenBTS to make their own GSM network that basically runs on an entry level small business server as opposed to needing a full server farm. There is another article that I can't find again where a small community in a desert town made an analog cell network based on some MIT grad project or something.

i've played around with yatebts running off a nuand bladeRF and a spare laptop. worked pretty well. no visit from the man in the spectrum van, but mostly because the local regulator uses it to pick up pizza.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

duz posted:

lmao i was thinking maybe something similar but "nah it cant be that stupid"

:shepface:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This seems a particularly bad fuckup. I'd guess most pixel phone users have something hidden at risk of being revealed because of this.

Also, my pixel lists itself as up to date and yet I could still use the demo app on a heavily cropped image, successfully recovering have the image perfectly and the other half approximately. Aren't these meant to be fixed at least going forwards before being publicised?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they were opening the existing file in write mode and then writing the new data. so they just overwrote some prefix of the data and the rest of the file was still there

the android api used to truncate when you did this, but apparently they changed that in android 10. that patch is here. it is unclear from the patch whether this was intentional. you’d think the author would call it out explicitly in the commit message as a behavior change if it was intended. otoh he also added an explicit test for the new behavior, and the original code gave him very obvious data and structure for the test which he chose to not use

you’d think this was a pretty basic operation to break behavior on. but these strings are actually pretty unusual, i think — it’s an idea from the c standard library being imported into the android api. the standard java file apis do not take these strings, so unless they’re implemented with them behind the scenes this only affects people using specific android platform apis. fwiw in c “w” is specified to truncate, so i don’t know what the gently caress this dude was thinking

also this is a very deprecated way to overwrite a file anyway — you lose data if the operation fails. so that helps explain why nobody was kicking down the door when they broke it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm just confused as to why they didn't just write out an entirely new file. PNGs are lossless, it's not like you'd be getting generational loss or something, and you'd get a better compression ratio anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm just confused as to why they didn't just write out an entirely new file. PNGs are lossless, it's not like you'd be getting generational loss or something, and you'd get a better compression ratio anyway
They're presumably rewriting the entire file anyway. It shouldn't really affect performance or the content of the new data that's being written (ignoring the part that was supposed to be truncated).

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

how did nobody notice that a cropped image had the same file size as a non cropped image? this is the most confusing thing to me. or am i misunderstanding something?

mystes
May 31, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

how did nobody notice that a cropped image had the same file size as a non cropped image? this is the most confusing thing to me. or am i misunderstanding something?
I think you're right and just nobody noticed lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

They're presumably rewriting the entire file anyway. It shouldn't really affect performance or the content of the new data that's being written (ignoring the part that was supposed to be truncated).

they're not. it overwrites only part of it

...but that writes a new IHDR and IDAT chunk i guess (otherwise the image would still be completely visible), so it's being compressed again anyway?

the whole thing is very confusing lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just tried on an affected version and cropping does reduce the file size but only a little

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

loving hell

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Cool feature

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

distortion park posted:

I just tried on an affected version and cropping does reduce the file size but only a little

code:
assert(cropped_file_size <= original_file_size)
literally the only unit test coverage for this feature on android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

they're not. it overwrites only part of it

...but that writes a new IHDR and IDAT chunk i guess (otherwise the image would still be completely visible), so it's being compressed again anyway?

the whole thing is very confusing lol
I don't understand if you're saying they're not rewriting the entire new length of the file (in which case that sounds hard but I guess it's clearly a performance optimization to have to write fewer bytes then) or if you're saying that they're writing the whole new length which is shorter than the original length (in which case you're saying exactly the same thing I'm saying)