Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also: learn to love the clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Prey is very, very good. Its basically system shock 3. Its also on gamep rear end along with the dishonored games

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't know who was the first person to make a game ui where you have to hold down a button while a circle fills up around it to confirm the action but that person is a jerk!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't know who was the first person to make a game ui where you have to hold down a button while a circle fills up around it to confirm the action but that person is a jerk!!

I don’t know which game was actually first but these days all the games do it because destiny did it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kuvo posted:

dishonored 2 has some really cool levels but tying the endings to how many people you kill effectively limits you to half the games abilities if you want the good one

wait the number of people you kill makes a difference? lol i've just been stabbing everyone to death so far

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, it's from the era of kiss puppy / kill puppy video game morality design. if you kill everyone the game is gonna get harder and you'll get the evil ending.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

quiggy posted:

prey rules, dishonored rules, arkane studios good

this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the mooncrash dlc for prey is also excellent

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sapozhnik posted:

I think it’s an elegant design choice to avoid taking two presses for action + confirm action.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's better than "press button really fast to lift a heavy object" for sure

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

uncharted....

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

it's better than "press button really fast to lift a heavy object" for sure

Atomic Heart in the year of our lord 2023 expects me to think that there is strategic advantage in dropping to a crawl, go up to a mustache pervert, sneak attack and be forced to break my E key with frantic presses instead of clicking twice with the shotgun out and be done with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

its seriously awful and is almost certainly because of lovely rear end controllers

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i bought FF7R on sale without realizing it's nearly 100gb, guess im not playing this tonight. decided to give roadwarden a try and im digging it so far, feels not unlike the steve jackson sorcery games but bleaker and more dangerous. mostly plays well on deck though, with the exception of text entry which is weirdly glitchy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh also it takes a really good lesson from modern ttrpgs of giving the player some agency in the finer points of the setting, i really appreciate that the city you hail from recently survived an invasion and it's completely up to you how they're doing in the aftermath. anyway if you want a text adventure in a neat hostile fantasy world you should check it out. also one of your stats is cleanliness, which is good imo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i have been playing Boneraiser Minions for a few days. fun take on the VS-like genre (do we have a name for these yet?), being a necromancer kicks rear end and i'm into the 8-bit visuals & music

Nothing that's really stuck, that I know of. Hard to say whether the genre will even stick around. There was a similar rush to make Autochess clones a couple years ago and then it just ended up being a fad, in the west at least

The developer has a half dozen other games with a very similar visual style.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
after finishing ragnarok I needed a more light game so I restarted miles morales and it’s the perfect light unwind game. I just smoke a lil, put in some music and web sling across the city. before I know it my partner has fallen asleep and I’m on my way out too. not saying the game is boring, it can just be very chill

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

hold f for 6 seconds to pay respect

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Shaggar posted:

its seriously awful and is almost certainly because of lovely rear end controllers

its good

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i started prey and it's real good

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Prey 2007 or w/e is surprisingly good, dunno what happened to it on steam

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, it's from the era of kiss puppy / kill puppy video game morality design. if you kill everyone the game is gonna get harder and you'll get the evil ending.

I didn't realise that killer swarms of rats are a mechanic in dishonored, so I am doubly incentivised to not kill more than I have to :gonk:

Figuring out the clockwork patrol patterns of guards has been super satisifying so far but it does seem to encourage savescumming for me, which feels cheap

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The right way to play dishonored is:

Do you wanna use cool powers? Kill to your hearts content gently caress it

Do you wanna play thief in 2023? No powers and no killing

Its really good to treat it like thief actually and use bottles and poo poo as distractions and no powers, theres specific achievements for playing it this way too

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

this is why death of the outsider is the best dishonored: no morality system

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(although to 2's credit it's the one that's got crack in the slab)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
2 has some really cool gimmick levels

and the clockwork soldiers were very obviously added so you can exercise all the cool murder powers without breaking clean hands

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

press alt+f4 to pay respects :troll:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the three best levels in the series are crack in the slab (the time travel one), clockwork mansion, and the bank job, with honorable mention to the masquerade in the first game. I can't think of a single stinker though

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

anyway dishonored is the only immersive sim series ive vibed to (although I liked prey). usually i find the genre way too far up its own rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUvMuple5I

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hitman 3's roguelike mode is still great

i have realized i dont actually know the maps well at all

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh yeah i need to try that

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
the masquerade in Dishonored 1 was extremely memorable. I really enjoyed playing that game the low-chaos route

prey is the first game I've enjoyed playing in a while that feels very tense. i never got into system shock, but this is game is very interesting. the gloo gun is great

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Dishonored 1 status: just hit a 0451 reference :rolleye:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dijkstracula posted:

good ol everygame

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dijkstracula posted:

meh it's fine in an imsim imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

wait the number of people you kill makes a difference? lol i've just been stabbing everyone to death so far
crossbow headshot imo if you're gonna run & gun

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
there’s an 0451 in atomic heart which feels like stolen valour

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

meh it's fine in an imsim imo

yeah if it wasn't it would have gotten the full :rolleyes: from me, but as it is it was more of a "oh, lol, of course the first combination lock you need to figure out is gonna be Funy Imsim Number"

I don't think I fully understand the enemy death mechanic; I thought I went through stealthily enough but at the end of the first level it said I'd killed five dudes, so I went back and replayed it, making sure to, like, put unconscious bodies up on tables away from lurking rats and that seemed to do the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah in a game like that it's possible for people to get killed entirely without your knowledge just from autonomous systems interacting

you have to kill a LOT of people to get onto the high chaos path. like, way more people than are strictly necessary to get the objectives. but there's still a tracked difference between zero and nonzero