Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rodney The Yam II posted:

To answer your question, I don’t think it’s common to get custom legends unless you’re manufacturing a keyboard to go along with them (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Same as you I’ve considered getting different caps but I don’t really mind the ABS keycaps on the RK61 and I figure if I stay with it long enough I’ll have memorized the special functions and won’t mind not seeing them on any aftermarket keycaps I install (and can use RGB to highlight the Fn key anyways).

Aww that's lame, but it makes sense. Was hoping to not have to print out a cheat sheet cause I sure as hell am not going to remember some of the button combos but am still tempted by the aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think there are places that do custom legends, but if you want shinethrough/pudding they would have to be done with laser etching which isn't very durable

higher quality shinethrough keycaps are done with a doubleshot process where each legend needs a unique mould, that's way too expensive for a one-off order

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 14, 2023

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

PeePot posted:

Nice!

I finished my KBO-5000 a couple days ago. 3D printed a case using their .stl files. That fixed the USB cable they provided not fitting, no underglow though. Maybe one day I'll find some 3u spacebars to fill the gap beside the ALT's. That entire bottom row needs to be replaced, but I wanted the bigger 1.5u CTRL and ALT since I'm using Illustrator shortcuts all day long.

Ya, the mill-max sockets were easier to solder than I thought. Oh wait, that's wrong, the entire left PCB had smaller holes that I had to drill out a bit with a screwdriver.

I sanded the case bottom and that let me put a magnetic usb adapter in the usb-c port. I feel like the problem would've been easier to resolve by just increasing the space between the boards, but then it'd throw off the measurements for every case design out there for it.

It's bonkers that the PCB holes differed between sides for you; that doesn't speak super well to the QC on the boards.

I cut some 1x3, sanded, shellacked and waxed it to make wrist rests, and used some 1x1 to cut some risers to let me tent the board a bit. They're attached to the bottom via dual lock tape (basically super velcro), and I'm pretty happy with the results. I might sand the backs of the rests down a bit more; I rounded the edges (like a sort of bar of soap, I guess) but the edges closest to my wrists still feel a bit off and pinchy. In all, I'm happy with the build, tiny niggles aside.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shopping around for a 65% - 70%. Keychron fits my needs exactly, and is in stock, in my country.

But I don’t want a keychron, i want some diy bullshit that’s way more expensive and worse made.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hell, same

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Relatedly, some stock went up on RAMAWORKS if anyone is brave / rich.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You all wanted a higher end 65%.

This just went live.

https://shop.wuquestudio.com/products/ginkgo65-r2-keyboard-kit?_pos=12&_sid=0aa29bc30&_ss=r&variant=44474887700650

I love my ikki 68, but at that price I’d still go mode envoy over it.

But if you like that styling, not bad.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

well why not posted:

Shopping around for a 65% - 70%. Keychron fits my needs exactly, and is in stock, in my country.

But I don’t want a keychron, i want some diy bullshit that’s way more expensive and worse made.

If you don't want to go 100% DIY, the Kono 67 is on sale right now. I just bought a Kono 85 to try out - I don't really want wireless, but it was also thirty two dollars.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cool, but would cost $90 in postage to Sydney.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hi thread, looking for a 94%-100% fully assembled board for my open-plan office at work. I’ve been using a Ducky One with cherry blues for a little over seven years and I think some of the newer folks in the office are ready to throttle me because of how loud it is, and it’s honestly been annoying me as of late as well.

I don’t need wireless, but that’s a nice-to-have, and I don’t need hot swappable switches. Likewise I don’t need any of the multi-computer usage stuff since this will sit connected to my work PC at all times. I know the simple answer is to just buy a Ducky One, or whatever the equivalent is now, with cherry browns, but I also don’t know if there are new players at better prices.

I was looking at a bundle with the Logitech MX Keyboard and MX Master 3S, but the keyboard just has way too much poo poo I don’t need inflating the price.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah, at that price point there's nothing appreciably better than the Ducky One (might take a look at Steelseries though). Or slightly below that price point everyone here will recommend Keychron (but only buy Keychron via Amazon if you insist on buying one).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

I know the simple answer is to just buy a Ducky One, or whatever the equivalent is now, with cherry browns, but I also don’t know if there are new players at better prices.

Just get a Ducky One 2 with MX Brown switches and call it good. I have one, we have several at work, they're awesome to type on :sun:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

There's also the Glorious GMMK Full-size (1 and 2). They're very no-frills, but have hotswap, RGB, and come in at around $100 fully built.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wibla posted:

Just get a Ducky One 2 with MX Brown switches and call it good. I have one, we have several at work, they're awesome to type on :sun:

Good to know they’re still a reliable brand.

Mechanicalkeyboards.com didn’t have any of the full size One 2 models in stock, so I ordered a One 3 Daybreak. That said it’s only $10 less than the wireless Logitech keyboard I was also looking at, but the longevity of my current Ducky makes me think the One 3 is the better buy.

Thanks for the help!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hey guys, started a new job and brought my Nullbit Nibble with me, but it’s having an issue. When I press any key on the right most column, it registers a bunch of keypresses, basically the whole left side of the row of the key I’m pressing. Here’s what QMK keyboard test says:

Home: registers as Esc, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and not Home (the left half of the number row)
Delete: registers as F13 (rotary encoder press), Tab, Q, W, E, R, and not Delete (the left half of the top row)
PgUp: registers as F14, Caps Lock, A, S, D, F, and not PgUp (the left half of the home row)
PgDn: registers as F15, LShift, Z, X, C, V, B, and not PgDn (the left half of the bottom row)
Right Arrow: registers as the entire spacebar row, including Right Arrow

The keystrokes register 1 ms or so apart, and always from left to right (so pressing “Home” causes “Esc” to register first, then 1 ms later “1” registers, then 1 ms later “2” registers, etc.).

If I shift to layer 1, toggling RGB on renders the keyboard unable to recognize any keystroke EXCEPT for the ones above. So if I press the “Caps Lock” key, caps lock doesn’t toggle, but if I press the “PgUp” key, it does (and it still registers all the other key presses noted above as well). If I shift to layer 1 and press “Reset”, it locks up the whole keyboard. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard in fixes both cases immediately.

Is this some kind of shorting going on? Thinking maybe microcontroller or maybe something to do with the LEDs? Anyone experience anything like this? It only started acting this way on this new computer after being unplugged from my old work PC for a few weeks. I've tried a different PC and also tried a reflash, neither worked. Seems to be the PCB itself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

I regret to inform you I have ordered a KB kit, lube, switches and caps.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
What did you go with?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GMK67, glp105, Milky Yellows and some inexpensive macos key caps that I might cancel.

It’ll look similar to this, except with a white frame of slightly diff shape.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm searching on Amazon and can't seem to find anything... is there a wired or wireless keyboard that is:

- quiet scissor keys

- slim and flat like the Logitech K750 (i.e. no forced incline in the back)

- condensed arrow keys, so it's not wider than the Logitech K780

What I'm doing is putting together 2 pieces of wood with a friction hinge to make a laptop-style clamshell, and mounting a laptop display to it with one of those adapters to plug it into a desktop GPU. So I can run a cable from my computer room to my couch and have a kind of fake laptop experience. But the K780 has a huge hump in the back (holds phone/tablet) so if I use that I can't fold the thing down for when I travel.

If I can't think of anything else I might try to buy a K780 and tear out the guts so it's just the flat key section. Someone did a takeapart on YouTube but it's 360p so I can't tell how things would turn out, but it would be perfect if I can just mount the keys like he has at the timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWR1aI0yaM&t=788s

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I'm searching on Amazon and can't seem to find anything... is there a wired or wireless keyboard that is:

- quiet scissor keys

- slim and flat like the Logitech K750 (i.e. no forced incline in the back)

- condensed arrow keys, so it's not wider than the Logitech K780

What I'm doing is putting together 2 pieces of wood with a friction hinge to make a laptop-style clamshell, and mounting a laptop display to it with one of those adapters to plug it into a desktop GPU. So I can run a cable from my computer room to my couch and have a kind of fake laptop experience. But the K780 has a huge hump in the back (holds phone/tablet) so if I use that I can't fold the thing down for when I travel.

If I can't think of anything else I might try to buy a K780 and tear out the guts so it's just the flat key section. Someone did a takeapart on YouTube but it's 360p so I can't tell how things would turn out, but it would be perfect if I can just mount the keys like he has at the timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWR1aI0yaM&t=788s

Magic Keyboard? It’s totally flat. The only issue is charging I guess?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the totally flat requirement is the hard part for sure. Most keyboards of that description have the bloody annoying little bump in the back.

After googling I'm not sure what exactly you mean by condensed arrow keys though, the K750's arrow keys look pretty normal sized in the pictures?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

After googling I'm not sure what exactly you mean by condensed arrow keys though, the K750's arrow keys look pretty normal sized in the pictures?

Condensed arrows like the 780, not 750 (780 is in the video I showed). The screen panel is 16 inches wide so I won't want a super-wide keyboard like the 780.

On eBay I found someone selling stacks of open-box 780 for $34 shipped so I picked one up to see if I can skeletonize it for the result I want, worth a shot I guess.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I would like to report that I bought an Akko 3068B and it’s really nice

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I decided to upgrade from my Vortex Race 3 w/ cherry reds (below) last month into something that was wireless, could support multiple bluetooth connections (for desktop, work computer, iPad), and was quieter.

That journey took me a lot of places, but in the end, after it was all said and done, I think i'm happy with the notably non-mechanical Logitech MX Keys. It was goofily priced at $120, probably wont ever feel as good as a mechanical, but its dead silent and I think that's what I missed the most from a keyboard.

The mechanical keyboard market still seems to be getting bigger as time goes on, so optimistically I can enter the market again when there's BT-connected mechs that are similar to Keychron but also dead silent straight out of the box, but that seems unlikely because even the Logitech MX Mechanical felt too loud with the brown switches.

Let me pray to the lord that im good with this keyboard and dont need to spend this much money on a peripheral again for, at minimum, 5-7 years.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

buglord posted:

Let me pray to the lord that im good with this keyboard and dont need to spend this much money on a peripheral again for, at minimum, 5-7 years.

lol

lmao

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

buglord posted:

Let me pray to the lord that im good with this keyboard and dont need to spend this much money on a peripheral again for, at minimum, 5-7 yearsmonths.

I think this is doable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If my keyboard isn't annoying my coworkers five rows away I don't want it

I don't work in tech support anymore, but I can't tell you how often a loud keyboard made the customer shut the gently caress up. "I thought you sounded busy typing :shobon:"

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I would like to report that I bought an Akko 3068B and it’s really nice

Furthermore, I installed a sheet of neoprene in place of the stock case foam and I'm surprised how much it's changed the feel of the keyboard. It's a noticeably stiffer platform with all the empty space filled in (a bit crammed with the thick neoprene) which makes the heavy linear switches it shipped with feel a bit lighter and more responsive (TTC Demon). Acoustically it's less reverberant space which has significantly decreased the perceived pitch from bottoming out the keys. I'm very curious to hear this with some silent switches swapped in.

I was skeptical of the difference that a layer of foam would make but ends up there's a reason this is a popular mod!

Early days but so far a big fan of this inexpensive 65%. Software is meh but I knew that going in. Better than RK software at least.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

A while back, I built a Preonic with Lavenders and put some sorbothane foam in the case. It's quieter than my wife's Logitech membrane keyboard.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
my seven year old daughter is learning to type and asked me to build her a keyboard that was "cute" because the keyboards at school aren't as good as the ones at home.

it's a proud moment. Now I need to start looking for cute keycaps so they'll be here by her birthday.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

my seven year old daughter is learning to type and asked me to build her a keyboard that was "cute" because the keyboards at school aren't as good as the ones at home.

it's a proud moment. Now I need to start looking for cute keycaps so they'll be here by her birthday.

Check out these Coolkids knockoffs for $30: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VBH8S61

I have them and they're pretty comfy to type on as well as cute

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

if she likes kitties epomaker has some cute keycaps

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I ended up going with these epomakers

https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-ice-cream-keycaps?variant=39415610343497

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Happy to report that I was able to buy a Logitech K780 (my favorite keyboard) refurbed on eBay for like $35, and with 5 minutes and a small precision Philips driver, I was able to extract out just the guts:

They work, and they lie just about perfectly flat. I can use tiny screws to pin the whole thing down flush.

This person's video at the 12:43 mark is the only point where you have to take your time, holding the "bezel" and popping the keyboard plate out from it. It's little bits of plastic that are kind of "spot-melted" and break apart with a little gentle prying, but take your time or you'll warp the keys since they're only backed by thin metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWR1aI0yaM&t=763s

The K780 has chunks of steel bar inside of it to make it weigh 2 pounds so it won't topple over when holding a tablet in it's groove, but once you extra these guts it's just 2 ounces.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hello, haven't posted in this thread for quite a good while.

I have an older red scarf 3 keyboard that one of the regular board mount stabilizers became really hosed up when the wire popped out and the class to hold it in broke off.

this keyboard is one that had to be entirely soldered down, so the only way I could get to stabilizer out was to break into pieces, but I found out that replacement stabilizers cannot go in.

I found plate mounted stabilizers exist but the issue is they are only for places where a switch can fit. In summary, the 15mm width had to be 14mm.

I have made cover slip overs that will reduce the width to 14mm using 3d printing but they wear down since the tolerances are so small.

upper slip___________________
plate===================!! !! <1mm extension
lower------------------------

I don't know why I drew that since it's not working but mainly the problem is I need to extend the board by 1mm because if I wanted to add a new PCB mounted stabilizer, I need to desolder at least half the board.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I have a Model S Das Keyboard from back around 2013/2014 that's starting to have issues. I've used the absolute poo poo out of this keyboard nearly every day while working, posting, gaming, etc. I'm looking for a replacement while I figure out if I can repair this (if I can get it repaired, I'll use it on my second desktop setup and replace the crap cheapie keyboard I use there). I haven't looked at keyboards in nearly a decade, but I do know that das keyboard doesn't have the quality they were known for now after cost cutting, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I want
1. Cherry mx blue
2. High build quality
3. Low latency
4. I use ten key all of the time, I don't want a small keyboard
5. Don't care about RGB or aesthetics.
6. Don't care about macro keys. Basically just look at the Model S Das Keyboard, the key setup on it is perfect for me.
7. I type a lot of docs, spend hours programming daily, and also game a lot (MMOs, FPS, ARPGs, casual games, etc)

budget's $250 max

any suggestions?

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 1, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

I made the adapter with support to the bottom.

This is the side profile of how the plate mount will snap into the notch I made. The plate edge will fit down behind wall that is 1mm thick.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

biceps crimes posted:

I have a Model S Das Keyboard from back around 2013/2014 that's starting to have issues. I've used the absolute poo poo out of this keyboard nearly every day while working, posting, gaming, etc. I'm looking for a replacement while I figure out if I can repair this (if I can get it repaired, I'll use it on my second desktop setup and replace the crap cheapie keyboard I use there). I haven't looked at keyboards in nearly a decade, but I do know that das keyboard doesn't have the quality they were known for now after cost cutting, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I want
1. Cherry mx blue
2. High build quality
3. Low latency
4. I use ten key all of the time, I don't want a small keyboard
5. Don't care about RGB or aesthetics.
6. Don't care about macro keys. Basically just look at the Model S Das Keyboard, the key setup on it is perfect for me.
7. I type a lot of docs, spend hours programming daily, and also game a lot (MMOs, FPS, ARPGs, casual games, etc)

budget's $250 max

any suggestions?

The good news is that you have too much choice. You just want a full size keyboard with blue switches.
mechanicalkeyboards.com is a keyboard seller that has a storefront that lets you sort by different categories, so here's their MX Blue swtich keyboards listed by most expensive first. You'll need to page through a bit since they don't seem to offer a way to filter keyboard size and also switch type at the same time, but it might be helpful. Don't get too hung up over price, there's a lot of Ducky keyboards in the $100 range and they're pretty good:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=12&sortby=price:desc

I'd also look at this Leopold since they were kind of a classic choice:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4246

Amazon's good to browse, too:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mx+blue+full+size+keyboard

I'd consider a Filco since they're a good old school manufacturer as well (Cooler Master used their OEM for its first few years and my CM Storm quickfire rapid with mx greens has been my daily driver for ~9 years):
https://www.amazon.com/FILCO-Majestouch-Double-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B0BBV4RRYC/

I've got a couple of DURGOD keyboards that have been good for a few years:
https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Interface-Grey%EF%BC%8CANSI/dp/B07N19Y4HL/

I've never been a huge fan of Das keyboards but they have a model 6 out for $200 which is similar to your old one but with backlighting and media keys and a knob for volume:
https://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Backlit-Mechanical/dp/B0BF5TPNXK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Novel Keys has a sale through Monday for like 30-50% off a lot of keycap sets. Are they any good? I have no idea what separates a $30 set from a $100 set.