Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it does at least give fiber seeking backhoes a better idea of where to dig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

echinopsis posted:

games where you had to waggle the joystick as fast as possible to win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxW4bDI1rU :q:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/e56eOBxQVds

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the guy whose boss went to a cabin in the woods for several months without internet and such

in january 2020

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

echinopsis posted:

My favorite thing about this was when Nintendo shipped gloves to people that complained about Marios Party rubbing their palms bloody with the joystick spinning games.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

in mario party for N64 there was a minigame where you had to spin the joystick as fast as possible. ofc the N64 controller joysticks were garbage: X and Y axes were interlocking plastic dealios attached to rotary position sensors, as you used it the plastic-on-plastic parts would wear themselves down gradually expanding the joystick dead-zone until it was unusable. im certain that minigame was responsible for ruining many a childs' controller(s).

edit: i actually remember as a kid having real issues playing majora's mask with the goron character. you had to do full +Y on the joystick when rolling to enter the charged up state and our controller's joystick was so worn it was a real challenge to do. this was exacerbated by the fact that there was a minigame where you had to do a race with the goron character. pretty sure i didn't manage to win that until we got a new controller.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 17, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also didn't the original Wii controllers not ship with straps and they had to ship out straps to people after people started nailing their TVs with flying controllers?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nintendo games were always so loving expensive. $70+ for n64, i think super mario rpg cost me 65 bucks as a 12 year old

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bought botw for my nephew shortly after it released, and I’m pretty sure it cost less than when i bought it alongside my own switch like 3 years later

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also didn't the original Wii controllers not ship with straps and they had to ship out straps to people after people started nailing their TVs with flying controllers?

nah, they always shipped with straps, and always told you to put them on when you booted up the game

the instructions to put the strap on got much bigger and they gave away free padded condoms

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

they initially had thin straps, which they beefed up in addition to adding the controller condoms for better retention after reports of controllers going flying and breaking tvs

i hated the wii controller setup because whenever i used it my hands would inevitably start to hurt after a while. it was particularly annoying because a lot of games would have played just fine with the classic controller, were it not for them shoehorning some dumb 'waggle as a button' or pointer gimmick in there

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

nintendo games were always so loving expensive. $70+ for n64, i think super mario rpg cost me 65 bucks as a 12 year old

cartridge games were more expensive than people generally recall. a lot of early snes and genesis games were $60 in the early 90s, and some of the larger/special chip snes and genesis games cost upwards of $80 (i think phantasy star 4 was about $100 at release)

adjusted for inflation, the neo geo would have cost something like $1500 now, with the games being $500+ each

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

when i was a kid right before xmas one year my mum rented us ocarina of time from blockbuster for a week and we enjoyed the poo poo out of it. then on xmas day one of the presents we got was that same copy of ocarina of time purchased ex-rental from blockbuster. it was awesome, my mum got it at a steep discount and we still had our save files on the cart! :3:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

im sure they got google dollar signs in their eyes and let them do whatever

google also lied thru their teeth about how good microtrenching was

quote:

“Google Fiber will pay $3.84 million to Louisville Metro Government (LMG) to restore roads and other public rights-of-way affected by its departing service in Louisville.
https://louisvilleky.gov/news/city-google-fiber-reach-agreement-providing-restoration-infrastructure-affected-google-fiber

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google glass lol https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-glass-is-about-to-be-discontinued-again/

weird thing is that i think as an enterprise product, for certain jobs, it was kind of better than any attempt at ar stuff since. and i haven't heard of a useful non-enterprise ar usecase yet.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google glass lol https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-glass-is-about-to-be-discontinued-again/

weird thing is that i think as an enterprise product, for certain jobs, it was kind of better than any attempt at ar stuff since. and i haven't heard of a useful non-enterprise ar usecase yet.

arstechnica posted:

The criticism was so fierce that the term "Glasshole" was sometimes used to describe people who wore it.

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pile Of Garbage posted:

in mario party for N64 there was a minigame where you had to spin the joystick as fast as possible. ofc the N64 controller joysticks were garbage: X and Y axes were interlocking plastic dealios attached to rotary position sensors, as you used it the plastic-on-plastic parts would wear themselves down gradually expanding the joystick dead-zone until it was unusable. im certain that minigame was responsible for ruining many a childs' controller(s).

also;

quote:

https://www.cnet.com/culture/nintendo-offers-glove-to-prevent-joystick-injuries/

Nintendo has agreed to provide protective sports gloves to owners of the "Mario Party" game, after receiving numerous reports of children being injured playing the game.
Nintendo's agreement to offer the gloves settles a complaint from the New York Attorney General's office, which had heard from parents of children who had suffered cuts, punctures, blisters and friction burns on their hands because of the intense joystick movements some portions of the multiplayer N64 game require.

always fun to see an article from 2002 still available to read :prepop:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hololens is still going for industrial customers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

cartridge games were more expensive than people generally recall. a lot of early snes and genesis games were $60 in the early 90s, and some of the larger/special chip snes and genesis games cost upwards of $80 (i think phantasy star 4 was about $100 at release)

adjusted for inflation, the neo geo would have cost something like $1500 now, with the games being $500+ each

neo geo prices were always insane though because it was specifically intended as an “arcade experience”

I don’t remember Nintendo through N64 games being that expensive, I think most NES games in the US were around $40 and The Legend of Zelda had a big price bump to $50 because it had state saving

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
snes, n64 and gameboy carts were all at least $50

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think starfox was 70

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Roosevelt posted:

i think starfox was 70

yeah i think all the games that had a thing packed in were £70 here, lylatwars with the rumble pak, pokemon stadium and the transfer pak, dk64 and the expansion pak etc

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Encyclopedia cdroms.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

other people posted:

Encyclopedia cdroms.

it's been posted before but motherfucking mindmaze

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We just had whatever Encarta CDs they gave you when you bought a multimedia pc kit or new gateway2000 or whatever. The fancy ones would even include the odd 320x240 video.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
They were a good thing to point to when your parents were on the fence about buying.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

MS had a movie encyclopedia on CD-ROM in like 1994. one good feature was that you could search for actors with and AND statement, so if you couldn't remeber what that movie was called where they turned people into VHS machines, you could search for Deborah Harry AND James Woods.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

axolotl farmer posted:

MS had a movie encyclopedia on CD-ROM in like 1994. one good feature was that you could search for actors with and AND statement, so if you couldn't remeber what that movie was called where they turned people into VHS machines, you could search for Deborah Harry AND James Woods.

other people posted:

We just had whatever Encarta CDs they gave you when you bought a multimedia pc kit or new gateway2000 or whatever. The fancy ones would even include the odd 320x240 video.

these are the same thing lol

encarta owned pretty hard, i loved playing with it when i was young

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

other people posted:

Encyclopedia cdroms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGVYe_Ytsk

i had this and the "history" installment of the same series.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

hololens is still going for industrial customers

yeah, that's what i am saying though, google glass for industry stuff makes more sense to me than hololens, mostly in that it is cheaper, simpler, and looks easier to wear. ultimately the usecase seems to me to be to provide some information without taking up your hands, and perfectly overlaying it on the world seems cool but not that useful.

e: this post is preparatory for apples inevitable ar glasses of course.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, that's what i am saying though, google glass for industry stuff makes more sense to me than hololens, mostly in that it is cheaper, simpler, and looks easier to wear. ultimately the usecase seems to me to be to provide some information without taking up your hands, and perfectly overlaying it on the world seems cool but not that useful.

e: this post is preparatory for apples inevitable ar glasses of course.

doesn't hololens offer a full ar overlay? glass was just a small display in the corner of your vision

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have no idea but "hololols" just popped into my head and i thought i would share this dumb thing that made me chuckle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

doesn't hololens offer a full ar overlay? glass was just a small display in the corner of your vision

right, that's what i am saying: hololens is the overly elaborate, expensive and bulky thing, where glass does do the only useful thing about it i can think of for ar anyway, popping up some info about what is in front of you without needing hands

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that weird audio format you'd get for ringtones and texting some number to get smooth criminal on your 3210

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

isn't microsoft also shutting down hololens?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

hmmm I wonder if there's an archive of those and those weird pixel art things you'd get

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Re: CD-ROM encyclopedias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDBieJegk

The cool thing about it was we had a localized version, and the publisher (or devs?) re-did the whole animated title screen for the Polish release, with different letters and all

Also I remember noticing as a kid that most of the encyclopedias had very little actual information and text so they couldn't be really used as learning aid for homework. Clicking stuff and watching 15fps tiny grainy videos was fun, still

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

isn't microsoft also shutting down hololens?

fired a lot of the team in the layoffs iirc, not sure that means it is going away, but surely people are starting to realize that this wont be some huge product segment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

laserghost posted:

Re: CD-ROM encyclopedias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDBieJegk

The cool thing about it was we had a localized version, and the publisher (or devs?) re-did the whole animated title screen for the Polish release, with different letters and all

Also I remember noticing as a kid that most of the encyclopedias had very little actual information and text so they couldn't be really used as learning aid for homework. Clicking stuff and watching 15fps tiny grainy videos was fun, still

the way things work is a great book for curious kids and the art holds up.

my family had a set of world book encyclopedias that we updated at least twice. i would often pull one out and just read stuff that seemed interesting, and having a set at home was a real boon when i was old enough to start writing reports for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Also I just remembered playing The Incredible Machine (TIM). That was a lot of fun.