Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

other people posted:

Also I just remembered playing The Incredible Machine (TIM). That was a lot of fun.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

other people posted:

Also I just remembered playing The Incredible Machine (TIM). That was a lot of fun.

Kitfox88 posted:

Hell yeah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fired a lot of the team in the layoffs iirc, not sure that means it is going away, but surely people are starting to realize that this wont be some huge product segment.

hololens’ last big hope was the army expanding its pilot and they haven’t, it’s still going because hellworld but it’s just a few mil and not enough for ms to maintain the whole product line

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

the pcx image format

at one point, loads of diy dos shareware games used it, but i haven't seen a .pcx file in so long.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

hololens’ last big hope was the army expanding its pilot and they haven’t, it’s still going because hellworld but it’s just a few mil and not enough for ms to maintain the whole product line

right, yeah, when you've built a technological boondoggle that the military goes "hrm, that doesn't look worth spending billions of dollars on" you know it is time to wrap it up.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Beeftweeter posted:

these are the same thing lol

encarta owned pretty hard, i loved playing with it when i was young

looked it up, the movie database was called Cinemania, but it did come bundled with Encarta with ”multimeda pcs” with Windows95.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

guessing ms will attempt a panicked reversal of this decision once tim apple releases the ar goggles.

or maybe they could completely flop, who knows

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i do not think that apple's vr thing, if it actually exists, will be world-changing.

things people wanted:

a computer with an easy to use picture based interface

a portable music player that stores your whole music collection

a cell phone that can go on the internet

things people generally do not want:

a computer screen that hangs off your face and makes you dizzy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

no, but going by things like the watch it's probably going to get something about the user experience right that hasn't been gotten right yet, and this is going to cause the microsofts and samsungs of the world to call an emergency meeting and start some staffing projects because gotta react

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

other people posted:

the successor:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/241240/Contraption_Maker/

my kids love it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

no, but going by things like the watch it's probably going to get something about the user experience right that hasn't been gotten right yet, and this is going to cause the microsofts and samsungs of the world to call an emergency meeting and start some staffing projects because gotta react

i don't even know the user experience on any current devices, and have not bothered to find out, as there is no level of sophistication there that would make me choose to wear a headset for any task in my life.

like, there's bound to be *some* market, but no way this is a mass market device. i don't think people in general like wearables very much, the watch is doing well, but i think its level of market penetration is getting to be limited by people simply not wanting to wear one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

when I worked at GE Healthcare, we had hundreds of hololensii and I never saw them used for anything other than playing Tetris and other games

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

the pcx image format

at one point, loads of diy dos shareware games used it, but i haven't seen a .pcx file in so long.

I think original Worms could import PCX pictures to be used as levels, never checked how it's supposed to work at all, but reading about this in the tips section of the gaming mag fired up my imagination. Just draw levels in Paintbrush and import them into the game, no biggie

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

PCX was a reasonably simple format to parse, and you could use any bit depth you needed so it was a good choice in the 4-colour CGA era when most other formats only supported 2, 16, or 256 colours.

CGA didn't last long, but i guess PCX was already common enough that it stayed around due to inertia

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 19, 2023

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i don't even know the user experience on any current devices, and have not bothered to find out, as there is no level of sophistication there that would make me choose to wear a headset for any task in my life.

like, there's bound to be *some* market, but no way this is a mass market device. i don't think people in general like wearables very much, the watch is doing well, but i think its level of market penetration is getting to be limited by people simply not wanting to wear one.

i don't know how many times to rephrase what i'm trying to say, but i'm not talking about market performance, and i'm not really interested in whether a singular yosposter will care about it. i'm talking about what execs and corporate directors tend to do whenever apple makes a splash with some new product announcement, whether it's a success or not, right away as a reaction. i just thought it was amusing they were drawing down hololens so much so close to the rumored unveiling, because it seems like if it has any legs at all they'll panic and reverse the decision

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

the pcx image format

i have an old 'teach yourself game programming' book from the early 90s that has a whole chapter on pcx parsing. it was basically the standard back then

the video files used by quake 2 use a home-rolled codec and were created from a series of pcx files run through their tool that did some additional compression on them, and had restrictions like "don't change palettes when not on a black screen or it will look like poo poo". real babby's first video codec stuff, but, tbf, it was the 90s and you couldn't just hop online and grab the source for a royalty free codec back then

for quake 3 and beyond they move to their roq codec, which was a more refined version of the codec used for the 7th guest/11th hour designed by Graeme Devine, who wound up at id at that point

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 20, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

i don't know how many times to rephrase what i'm trying to say, but i'm not talking about market performance, and i'm not really interested in whether a singular yosposter will care about it. i'm talking about what execs and corporate directors tend to do whenever apple makes a splash with some new product announcement, whether it's a success or not, right away as a reaction. i just thought it was amusing they were drawing down hololens so much so close to the rumored unveiling, because it seems like if it has any legs at all they'll panic and reverse the decision

you are rather confusing your point by going "going to get something about the user experience right" then, seems entirely irrelevant if you aren't trying to argue for it being some kind of success.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

speaking of image formats, XBM where it's basically a C source code file with some conventions

also I appreciate whoever did the sample image on that link

same, OP

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you are rather confusing your point by going "going to get something about the user experience right" then, seems entirely irrelevant if you aren't trying to argue for it being some kind of success.

it's the entire reason why a lot of the market reacts when apple puts something out, even if others were trying that same product and not doing as well. mp3 players, smartphones, tablets, and watches. then you came in with the typical nerd self-centered "if i'm not interested than no one is" smugness, which i remember absolutely loads of circa 2015 when the rumors about an apple watch were reaching their peak.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

won.net

its DNS config seems to be real hosed up rn

quote:

;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 56789
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
; EDE: 22 (No Reachable Authority): (at delegation won.net.)
; EDE: 23 (Network Error): (95.100.173.64:53 rcode=REFUSED for won.net NS)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;won.net. IN NS

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Progressive JPEG posted:

won.net

reminds me of gamespy. played a lot of star wars battlefront 2 online through that

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

haha. this takes me back to being real mad about changes in counter strike 1.6 and continuing to play 1.5

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yummycheese posted:

haha. this takes me back to being real mad about changes in counter strike 1.6 and continuing to play 1.5

it takes me back to playing arc, the mean poo poo people would say when you'd pop them, and gliding into attacks because of dial-up lag spikes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

yummycheese posted:

well yeah, they significantly slowed it down and made the animations weird :colbert:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

the pcx image format

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110829

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thats a forward-looking username for ya

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there is some funny stuff you can find entering bug IDs manually

this is the earliest one I could find https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35

quote:

PREF_Cleanup is not called when Navigator exits
(File->Exit), causing memory leaks.

quote:

leaks on exit are low priority; yes we should fix this.

quote:

Marking Verified/Won't Fix

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

go find better things to do with your time timeless.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Progressive JPEG posted:

won.net

Duke3D multiplayer :unsmith:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

twitter is my world opponent network now

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
windows vista came in home basic, home premium, business, and ultimate

also came in N versions for europe

also there was the starter version which limited you to three programs at a time
also came in the signature version with a bill gates signature

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bill Goatse

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wild EEPROM posted:

windows vista came in home basic, home premium, business, and ultimate

also came in N versions for europe

also there was the starter version which limited you to three programs at a time
also came in the signature version with a bill gates signature

wasn’t there also an enterprise edition or did that get added for 7?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wasn’t there also an enterprise edition or did that get added for 7?

there was and it was basically ultimate

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my briefcase

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hello, captain foo said I should be posting in yospos so I picked this thread
does anyone remember the BBC microcomputer? I lived in england when I was a teenager for a bit and it was a line of computers made by Acorn for the BBC, as in the british broadcasting people, and they got put in schools a lot
we had old ones and also new ones called Archemedes computers

Also I appear to have 15 .pcx files in an old folder made by myself or one of my siblings, here's one for your enjoyment

e. this file is from 1992 so it's almost definitely my little brother's and I think we had a little graphics program that made these, or possibly an app on Prodigy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leperflesh posted:

hello, captain foo said I should be posting in yospos so I picked this thread
does anyone remember the BBC microcomputer? I lived in england when I was a teenager for a bit and it was a line of computers made by Acorn for the BBC, as in the british broadcasting people, and they got put in schools a lot
we had old ones and also new ones called Archemedes computers

Also I appear to have 15 .pcx files in an old folder made by myself or one of my siblings, here's one for your enjoyment

e. this file is from 1992 so it's almost definitely my little brother's and I think we had a little graphics program that made these, or possibly an app on Prodigy

lol hi leper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted: