Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
a couple years ago i noticed that FF7 was on the switch so i said "ok, you know what, this time I'm gonna finish it" and just went heads down and used a walkthrough and I got to the part where you're walking through the tunnels to get to the final battle and that night I saw the remastered high def version of FF7 and i said "you know what? gently caress this." and put it away forever and I will never care about ff7 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you want the remastered versions because they have a feature where you can play at 10x speed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What the hell, how did so many people die to the tree.

at first by “die to the tree” I thought you meant “falling from the haligtree” and I was gonna say, because it’s a bullshit area lol. I would like to see the % of fall deaths in that area alone

I completely missed the limgrave tree sentinel on my first run because I immediately started to explore in random directions as soon as I got to the surface

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

polyester concept posted:

I completely missed the limgrave tree sentinel on my first run because I immediately started to explore in random directions as soon as I got to the surface

this is the way

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got tagged by him a couple times

the first was out of naïveté, since it was my first souls game

the second was because I wasn't paying attention and wandered into his patrol path

got hit by one of the night cavalry for the same reason too

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Chris Knight posted:

of course it took me this far in to realize you can drag people away while you're choking them out, which helps get them out of sight of the other enemies :cool:
oh what the heck, this is a useful fact to konw

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i know most of you don't want to believe it, but the (likely) first boss will be high up because tons of people bounce off even the best games. e.g. only 34.5% of steam players have beaten malenia at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've never played a final fantasy game. except unreal tournament i guess

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

to my eternal shame the only ff games I've rolled credits on, other than ffxiv expansions, are 13 and 15

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Despite 6 and FFT being my favorites, the only one I've rolled credits on has been 8

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
A lot of the older FF games are like 80+ hour games its hard to justify that kinda time commitment on a JRPG

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the only one i've beat is ff7

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i've beaten 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and tactics. tactics is my fave of those

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i only beat IX, and i spent so much time on it that by the time i got around to exploding Kuja i had to seriously reevaluate my life choices. and now every time i've tried to play another ff it's ruined because i just go "ugh i can't do this poo poo again"

matti
Mar 31, 2019

oh no blimp issue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B934ZCPTXq4
an astroglogian solo healed The Omega Protocol Ultimate, the hardest fight in FFXIV atm

how are ffxiv raids compared to wow? i'm asking here because its a toxic subject for some people

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i know most of you don't want to believe it, but the (likely) first boss will be high up because tons of people bounce off even the best games. e.g. only 34.5% of steam players have beaten malenia at all.

34% is a ridiculously high number for not just seeking out but beating an optional super-boss. The majority of people playing a given game don't even finish it.

The_Franz posted:

it's also a matter of things you thought were super cool and deep as a teenager not actually being as cool and deep as you remember them being. the nostalgia for ff7 is more a longing for the return to the time and place the game represents to people, not so much the game itself. which isn't to say that it's a bad game, but a person who is now 40 generally isn't going to think that sephiroth is "so sugoi cool ^_^" like they did when they were 15, and were playing it while sitting at home and sipping hot cocoa on a snow day.

Well yeah middle schoolers think Sephiroth rulz and all that but there's a reason why he was an effective villain, it's because for a good chunk of the early game he just doesn't show up except to slay some seemingly unstoppable opponent of yours off-screen a couple of times. Then there's a flashback talking up what a badass he was, then finally he shows up much later on and doesn't even fight you directly but starts loving with your head. The story put in some work early on to build him up as this whole new level of menace beyond anything you've faced yet before you actually run into the dude. The director literally said that was the whole point of the character.

In 7R you have a comedy turn-around-and-bump-into-him (or a hallucination of him) moment right after the tutorial mission and then said hallucination pops up every five minutes like he's loving Majima popping out of a dumpster. There must have been some George Lucas type situation where a bunch of nameless people around the key talent for the original game restrained a bunch of the loopier ideas and aggressively edited down the script to get the product out of the door on what was a very tight development schedule, then it was a smash success and they fired all the editors and demanded an infinite budget and all subsequent attempts to continue or revise the story of that universe went to poo poo.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

matti posted:

how are ffxiv raids compared to wow? i'm asking here because its a toxic subject for some people

ive never done mythic raids in wow, but there is definitely no need to have anything like deadly boss mods or weak auras installed to do savage in ffxiv. theyre possibly easier mechanically but all 8 people need to be paying attention to do mechanics, you can't really have people asleep at the wheel (at least early in the tier)
its only 8 people vs 20 as well so its a lot easier to organise

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

matti posted:

there's a few raid difficulties: normal/alliance are to my understanding about on par with lfr, you can do 'em without any practice with a bunch of pubs without any real problems (and they're easy to just use duty finder for). then there's savage, which are your endgame raids, can be pubbed but generally are best done with statics. this is the main prog raiding scene. above that are ultimates like the one up there, these are insanely hard and basically require a static if you ever want to clear.

personally I stick to the lowest tier, but im tempted to try to find a static some time to do some of the earlier savages

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Fool posted:

Despite 6 and FFT being my favorites, the only one I've rolled credits on has been 8

I've actually finished almost all of 1 through 13, with the exceptions being 11 (the mmo, no interest in those games) and 2. the real 2, not 4 easytype rebranded as 2. that game turned into a slog almost immediately as the mechanics are as bad as everyone says they are, which is a shame because apparently the game's narrative is not terrible. there is a reason why they quarantined the designer, akitoshi kawazu, in the saga series right after that game came out.

I basically gave up on the series after 13 and its "run down this long hallway for 40 hours while these boring, annoying people that you don't care about do things that you also don't care about" gameplay made me realize that I am no longer the target demographic for these games

Mr. Crow posted:

A lot of the older FF games are like 80+ hour games its hard to justify that kinda time commitment on a JRPG

the first one, like the first dragon quest, is actually surprisingly short and can be beaten fairly quickly if you know what you are doing. even then, I don't recall any of them taking 80 hours, unless maybe you wanted to grind out all of the extra content and beat the hidden bosses in 7 or something like that

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 21, 2023

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what is the difference between dark souls from games and ghost and goblins games from 25 years ago

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The_Franz posted:

I've actually finished almost all of 1 through 13, with the exceptions being 11 (the mmo, no interest in those games) and 2. the real 2, not 4 easytype rebranded as 2. that game turned into a slog almost immediately as the mechanics are as bad as everyone says they are, which is a shame because apparently the game's narrative is not terrible. there is a reason why they quarantined the designer, akitoshi kawazu, in the saga series right after that game came out.

I basically gave up on the series after 13 and its "run down this long hallway for 40 hours while these boring, annoying people that you don't care about do things that you also don't care about" gameplay made me realize that I am no longer the target demographic for these games

fortunately you don't get to the hallways in 15 until after the second big boss fight! until then it's fun fella time

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what is the difference between dark souls from games and ghost and goblins games from 25 years ago

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

elden ring is just wizardry btw

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

wizardry 7 had some fun voice acting! especially for the silly evil voices

someone sent me this and said it was a really impressive ffxiv dungeon thing, but i don't get it at all so just nodded along. maybe one of you will get a kick out of it?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B934ZCPTXq4

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
check this: I'm one of the few people that isn't a youtuber that has an Action52 cart

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
up to cell 3 in dead cells and the hard light gun/sword combo is like basically a guaranteed game winner lol. fun bit of kit. wish i knew how to do the castlevania content and/or what happened when i collected those 3 gem key/shard things

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Horizon: Forbidden West is good, but I'm at the 2/3ds mark and it feels like it's starting to get buggy. This in addition to the standard open world fatigue is making me lose some steam.

Bugs include audio not playing, some enemies rendering incompletely, misinterpreting inputs (especially critical strikes), and bad pathfinding.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

souls games are in 3d and easier

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t recall any goblins in dark souls

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well then! boy will you be excited for elden ring!!!

they call them imps but they're fuckin goblins

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Elden Ring has these fat little froggy looking dudes in it and I just cannot bring myself to hurt them

The feeling is very much not mutual btw. But they're pretty rare except for this one area so it ends up not being a problem.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Imps are stone constructs like the Erdtree Burial Watchdogs, they aren't gobliny at all.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm a stoned construct

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm a stoned construct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdRdkR9tUa4

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

quiggy posted:

to my eternal shame the only ff games I've rolled credits on, other than ffxiv expansions, are 13 and 15

14 up to Endwalker was the first FF I actually finished lol.

Since then I've beaten FF7:R, FFX, and Strangers of Paradise. Loved all 3, and am playing through FF7 now, and playing FF7 has made me appreciate FF7:R even more. I figure I'm having the experience most FF7 fans have playing FF7:R in reverse, and that owns.

Midgar is also 1/3 of FF7's script, so it's not really out of line for them to devote the first game to it imo.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMY1uzSC1E

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-OyT4ivkM

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

haveblue posted:

I don’t recall any goblins in dark souls

those fupa guys in ds2 shaded woods were called goblins in the design works

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/ManletThorin/status/1637871830621888531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite unreal tournament game is probably the upcoming civilisation 7 which I hope allows for unit stacking