Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ytlaya posted:

Man, the sticky grenade launcher is so good. Definitely the most fun thing they've added to this game. Got a 5-kill multikill with it tonight.

It's a land of contrasts and balance, hilarious when you stick someone, loving frustrating when someone sticks you and you're relegated to death (unless you can run through an Irish APS in time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I've been messing around since it went free and playing RushXL a lot as an Engineer has hooked me. It reminds me of running around in old school TFC and caring for my sentry gun. 32 vs 32 fighting to blow up or protect a little cabinet is a lot fun, to me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

jisforjosh posted:

It's a land of contrasts and balance, hilarious when you stick someone, loving frustrating when someone sticks you and you're relegated to death (unless you can run through an Irish APS in time)

that's too tryhard for me, the proper response is to make a Curly/Zoidberg "WOOWOOWOOOWOOWOO" sound until it explodes.

also fun is sticky-bombing a LAV as it speeds past, just to watch whoever's inside blow out and leave a free LAV in their wake

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Rush XL is a lot of fun, but the engine seriously just can't handle 128 players, especially on the more compact maps. Really bad input lag when switching weapons and gadgets, and lots of 1-frame deaths.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone ever had an issue with your PC freezing after quitting Battlefield V? This happens almost every time. I quit the game and my PC freezes on the quit game splash screen. I can't do anything except hard reset my PC despite programs still running in the background (I know this because I can still voice chat on discord).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
this game would be so much better with all chat, for me

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

You're in luck! It's supposedly in the works

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pontificating rear end posted:

Spotting the sniper repeatedly usually seems to work. I dont know why people dont spot more often because it's OP

edit: when it comes down to it, I've definitely got my money's worth with this janky rear end game

Imo there is still nothing out there like BF in the market. The huge maps, the destructibility(although less relevant these days), vehicles air/ground. In fps genre there is nothing like it, unless you count military sims and even those don't have destruction + every level of warfare. Seems like most the new FPS games try to be battle royals(one of the most boring genres) or Destiny type consistent/rpg game. Unfortunately those are my least fav sub genres of FPS.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

that's too tryhard for me, the proper response is to make a Curly/Zoidberg "WOOWOOWOOOWOOWOO" sound until it explodes.

also fun is sticky-bombing a LAV as it speeds past, just to watch whoever's inside blow out and leave a free LAV in their wake

Wait, the sticky removes the driver and weapon stations? I thought it would only whack the passengers that can duck.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's so incredibly stupid how the turning radius is like 60 degrees when you're in an infantry spot in the CAV-Brawler. It's great not being able to see poo poo.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like to speculate during the end of round in the team chat about the salty tears in the enemy chat, especially when it's been close and the other team poo poo the bed at the last hurdle.

But yeah, I also heard it's on the roadmap. I have had fun in previous games, like some good-natured ribbing and banter when I've been sniping against a particular sniper and we just focus on each other.

Ulio posted:

Imo there is still nothing out there like BF in the market.

It's still my favourite video game series by far. And even this one, I also have like 450 hours played. So cost per hour is pretty good value for me, even though I pre-ordered gold or whatever (mainly to get to play a bit earlier).

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Kwolok posted:

drat I've never seen a clip so long without a crash. bravo!

sorry about your lovely computer brother

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I knew that the Drone did a sliver of actual damage with its EMP blast, but this made me laugh like a drain today. I wonder how it looked on the killcam.

https://i.imgur.com/Yf4uD60.mp4

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Some very angry ban requests ended up in a spam folder somewhere

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That rules

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I love that little drone, my dumbass only recently remembered it can destroy enemy spawn beacons and Sentinels with the EMP blast. Really makes it easier to stifle attackers' efforts on Breakthrough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The CAV's grenade launcher thing (that the driver can use, the one that shoots grenades all around the vehicle) can be a lot of fun. I like just barreling into a group of guys and popping that off. I've gotten multikills from doing that on at least several occasions now. It seems like most players aren't really prepared to deal with it.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's so incredibly stupid how the turning radius is like 60 degrees when you're in an infantry spot in the CAV-Brawler. It's great not being able to see poo poo.

It's comically easy to die in those CAV infantry slots. If you shoot a sticky grenade anywhere in the back half of the CAV, it seems to kill all the infantry passengers.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pretty glad I came back to this, it's really quite fun now. Still figuring out most weapons and loadouts, whats the best for anti vehicle support? The redhair woman with the redeemer rocket seems good but difficult against good pilots, and you're a target while using it, recoilless is fun and usable but not as good against flyers, anti aa is good but always gets shaffed if you're the only one.

Also the one shot sniper, 50 something, seems to have an anti vehicle ammo that you unlock. Is that worth it?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It sounds dumb, but I hopped right into the mobile AA and started getting hits on a jet flying way out in the distance. I didn't knock him down because I'm bad at it, but right after that I took two recoilless shots and still had time to locate and zap the guy who was trying to blow me up. Someone who can actually play can probably do a lot with it. Is there an option somewhere to control it with forward/reverse buttons instead of the stick? I can't seem to find it or I keep missing it in the menus.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how is the state of the game i see its on ps+

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

verbal enema posted:

how is the state of the game i see its on ps+

It's still mindless chaos but it's much better and not nearly as buggy. Definitely worth a try if you are curious

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hello internet posted:

It's still mindless chaos but it's much better and not nearly as buggy. Definitely worth a try if you are curious

my laptop doesnt like BF4 for some reason and i've had that big craving for one of these dumb games

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYypuJYK3c

somehow collated the button to this guy's ejector seat through his skull

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The new LMG is great, the only competitor to the Advancys imho. It has a ton of unlocks including the IR scopes the Advancsys has.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Advancys fuckin owns

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I like to speculate during the end of round in the team chat about the salty tears in the enemy chat, especially when it's been close and the other team poo poo the bed at the last hurdle.

But yeah, I also heard it's on the roadmap. I have had fun in previous games, like some good-natured ribbing and banter when I've been sniping against a particular sniper and we just focus on each other.

It's still my favourite video game series by far. And even this one, I also have like 450 hours played. So cost per hour is pretty good value for me, even though I pre-ordered gold or whatever (mainly to get to play a bit earlier).

Ya same, to me what's surprising is how none of the other studios tried to do something like this maybe it's too expensive or the tech isn't there like DICE. It's crazy how we got more CS Go clones and TF2 clones before we got something like BF.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just wish there was more opportunity to drive the good vehicles, I get them so rarely I can't level em up to add the good poo poo. Hell I don't even know what the good poo poo is!!

When I drive them I don't just drive into the midst of a bunch of dudes with C5s either FFS

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's too bad that it's literally a technological impossibility for Battlefield to have more than a scant handful of tanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chronojam posted:

It's too bad that it's literally a technological impossibility for Battlefield to have more than a scant handful of tanks.

God I loved that map, it was so fun. Especially as an AA guy.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Remember what they took from us

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

I just wish there was more opportunity to drive the good vehicles, I get them so rarely I can't level em up to add the good poo poo. Hell I don't even know what the good poo poo is!!

When I drive them I don't just drive into the midst of a bunch of dudes with C5s either FFS

Yeah the chances of getting anything but a LATV or hovercraft loving sucks. It’s all skygods camping the choppers/jets or some idiot who wants a tank to sit 3 miles away and attempt to unsuccessfully snipe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the chances of getting anything but a LATV or hovercraft loving sucks. It’s all skygods camping the choppers/jets or some idiot who wants a tank to sit 3 miles away and attempt to unsuccessfully snipe.

Yeah the aiming in first person makes it pretty obvious it’s not meant to be a long distance sniping platform, and should be kept constantly on the move!

I’m a big fan of the aa vehicles in general and the one in 2042 is pretty fast and agile so is great for hunting down helicopters. Jets are kind of impossible to hit with guns or missiles so I rarely even try for them.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

the last time I played golmud railway someone had the chopper spawn point for Canada dailed in on their tank and as soon as anyone got in they ate a tank shell from across the map.

I also miss those on map explosives triggered by the suitcase laptop. I don't know if I ever got a kill with one but I appreciate that they were there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chronojam posted:

The amount of times I dumbfired a rocket into a jeep going over one of the huge bumps around halfway down the hill alone is enough to cement this map in my heart. That and the way there would always somehow be 40 guys crawling out of the buildings at A and B somehow

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ulio posted:

It's crazy how we got more CS Go clones and TF2 clones before we got something like BF.

Is it really that crazy? Competitive shooters have smaller scope and a much, much larger playerbase to crib from, makes sense that devs would try to get a slice of that pie rather than trying to copy massive team shooters that barely anyone plays. Battlefield strikes me as pretty niche these days, though that could just be because DICE has fumbled so many releases in a row.

e:
DICE stopped sharing player count with their APIs after BFV flopped, so it's hard to get exact numbers, but going by steam, 2042's release had 100k consecutive players , which seems like a lot if we disregard the fact that this fell off dramatically and never recovered, but even if they managed to maintain that number up to current day, it'd barely put them ahead of team fortress 2's daily player count, a 15 year old game that has been abandoned by the devs for years at this point.

It doesn't even put them in the same galaxy as CS:GO, which sees more unique consecutive players per hour than 2042 gets in.. a month? more?

imo it makes complete sense that devs would try to copy csgo/tf2/overwatch/valorant over something like battlefield, a series that people really don't seem to care about

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 24, 2023

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

priznat posted:

With weapons, I level them up in live matches. With vehicles, it's so hard to get in one (and I don't want to waste a slot for my team) that I have no problems just firing up a solo breakthrough match. Breakaway is a good one, because at least in the ice corridors the bots can't dodge as easily so you can roadkill them easily.

Ulio posted:

none of the other studios tried to do something like this maybe it's too expensive or the tech isn't there like DICE.

Weren't many of the early guys modders, doing it for the love of the game? And maybe there's something in the water in Sweden... Maybe I'm biased being a fellow Nordics-dweller, but there really is something about living and working in a country with a good life-work balance, 4-week summer vacations, etc.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It depresses me to no end how with each iteration DICE thins the motor pools, it's like they don't want people to have fun in their war games.

I should be seeing at least 15 tanks on BOTH sides being fielded every drat map. :colbert:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New patch notes:

https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042/news/battlefield-2042-update-notes-4-1-0

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pontificating rear end posted:

The new LMG is great, the only competitor to the Advancys imho. It has a ton of unlocks including the IR scopes the Advancsys has.

The IR is so good on LMGs. The new LMG seems particularly good at just beaming down people far away (which I can often only see thanks to the IR scope).

It makes a huge difference for me specifically, since one of my biggest weaknesses is that I have a really hard time seeing enemies unless they're actively shooting at me. It's like I'm a snake or something* - as long as someone is still, I can't detect them (unless they're wearing a uniform that heavily contrasts with their surroundings).

* I don't know if this is actually true about snakes

On the upside, if you unlock the final cannon for the LATV you can wreck transport choppers with it. I find that they often don't notice it's you if you're doing it from far away (probably because the pilot is looking for a different kind of vehicle). It does enough damage that it can take out a chopper pretty quickly (and you can hit them from very far away, so they might not be able to reach you in time to fight back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my first kill was moments ago and i sniped an rear end in a top hat out of a hovercraft