Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ff7r progress report: square enix please release the darts minigame as a standalone thing, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ive played every final fantasy and theyre all good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ive played every final fantasy and theyre all good

i thought you were playing rimworld

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rimworld is the final fantasy

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i've only beaten 5 7 9 and 15 but i've played all but 1 2 and 3. the final fantasies are indeed good games.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

Well yeah middle schoolers think Sephiroth rulz and all that but there's a reason why he was an effective villain, it's because for a good chunk of the early game he just doesn't show up except to slay some seemingly unstoppable opponent of yours off-screen a couple of times. Then there's a flashback talking up what a badass he was, then finally he shows up much later on and doesn't even fight you directly but starts loving with your head. The story put in some work early on to build him up as this whole new level of menace beyond anything you've faced yet before you actually run into the dude. The director literally said that was the whole point of the character.

In 7R you have a comedy turn-around-and-bump-into-him (or a hallucination of him) moment right after the tutorial mission and then said hallucination pops up every five minutes like he's loving Majima popping out of a dumpster. There must have been some George Lucas type situation where a bunch of nameless people around the key talent for the original game restrained a bunch of the loopier ideas and aggressively edited down the script to get the product out of the door on what was a very tight development schedule, then it was a smash success and they fired all the editors and demanded an infinite budget and all subsequent attempts to continue or revise the story of that universe went to poo poo.

My friends were complaining about this exact thing in the remake last week. In 7 the buildup is so good, you are always a few steps behind him, and you always arrive to see the destruction he's unveiled. When you finally fight him, the ending fight is between him and cloud.

Even when you interact with him in a flashback in the middle of the game, his character is so much stronger than you. He is 1 shotting monsters that you deal 1-2 damage to.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah im not 100% sold yet on the remake version of sephiroth, but im still relatively early and given that they're clearly doing new stuff what with these weird dementor-esque monsters attacking the slum im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things shake out before i decide how i feel about it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

idk just in general im a big sucker for rpgs and the final fantasy series is consistently one of the best around, im enjoying hanging out with my girl tifa and doing ff7 stuff again

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gently caress i want a good job system rpg now. ff5 holds so many memories.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

some of the dragon quests have good job systems, also i played an indie game like two or three years ago called fell seal that is basically just fft with the serial numbers filed off (and a much worse story) if that's your thing

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

quiggy posted:

ff7r progress report: square enix please release the darts minigame as a standalone thing, tia

I redownloaded just to play the battle boardgame. Can't wait until they finally release the next segment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i haven't actually finished ff7r (i stopped at the point where it tells you to go finish side poo poo because the game is ending and then....just never did those), and they definitely do give sephiroth a bigger role than the original, but i suspect that may be a deliberate choice since they knew it was going to be three games long and wanted the main villain to at least be part of the game, since, well, everyone already knows he is at this point. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just that it's probably very deliberate

maybe I'll finish the danged game

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

gently caress i want a good job system rpg now. ff5 holds so many memories.

check out ff12, it doesnt have jobs persay but i thoguht its license system was cool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when you guys say you've played every final fantasy, do you actually mean EVERY final fantasy or just the mainline titles

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

because some of the secondary titles are hot garbage

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

check out ff12, it doesnt have jobs persay but i thoguht its license system was cool

the hd remasters specifically also use the "zodiac job system", which isn't the ff5 job system but does let you customize your party members to be classes that they weren't in the original

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Fool posted:

when you guys say you've played every final fantasy, do you actually mean EVERY final fantasy or just the mainline titles

i think ive played most of them outside of Dissidia

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

quiggy posted:

some of the dragon quests have good job systems, also i played an indie game like two or three years ago called fell seal that is basically just fft with the serial numbers filed off (and a much worse story) if that's your thing

They aren't as satisfying like in 5 since you just tend to pick from a list rather than the nice icons. At least in the DQ7 remake your models change based on what job you are.

But it's also long as hell, even for a DQ game.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Fool posted:

because some of the secondary titles are hot garbage

there are like 10000 world of final fantasy style games and i just keep hearing about new ones and i don't know how or why people keep up with them

at least poo poo like dissidia or theatrythm are different types of games

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to the SSA there are a couple dozen men in the USA named Sephiroth, most of them in their early 20s

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mods please change my name to xXxSephiroth420xXx

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I mean, Yakuza 7 has a job system, and I enjoyed it quite a bit

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i have a ff12 save going in my switch. i'm not very creative with the gambit system so i bounced of it. gently caress if i can remember what i was doing.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

According to the SSA there are a couple dozen men in the USA named Sephiroth, most of them in their early 20s

badass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sucks to be a little girl named Khaleesi or Daenerys though. Lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

InternetOfTwinks posted:

oh yeah i forgot about this, yakuza 7 was sick

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

whys that?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

it's already dumb to name your human child after a fictional character but doubly lmao @ doing so before the media property in question has even finished

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

like at least if i named my son Luke Skywalker Quiggyson there's a definitive arc there and i know my son isnt gonna be named after fictional hitler

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they should go back to namiung people some of the lesser used bible names like lazarus

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you know what you're getting with those names, at least

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or just bring back popular medieval names like Murder and Lettuce

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
weve had a hard time picking out boy names, to the degree that i can see something like "sephiroth" and think "absolutely not going to do that, but at least the kid could go by 'seph' which is a half decent nickname", and a "daenerys" could easily go by "dana"

a lot better than weird names which dont have good options for nicknames i guess :shrug:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Allow for any name, letters, numbers, symbols but they have to be globally unique like mmo characters

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Don't give your kid a unique name, being easily searchable sucks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

i just generally enjoyed yakuza 7's systems, it is simultaneously light and has more depth than i ever needed to bother with in the amount of fighting the game *requires*. which i think is always nice, so many rpg battle systems force you to see the "overstayed its welcome" stage.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Got me to check out Persona 5, which I was enjoying but idk if it's just me but man the pacing on that game was slow at least for the first few palaces

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

don't name your kids after anime characters
don't name your kids after people from TV shows
don't give your kids normal names spelled in dumb ways

you're not being cute by calling your kid Khristophyr, you're making their life hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

more than a few people are named after generational poems, some also have their names shared from stories. it's pretty fun!

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 21, 2023