Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

baited breath,

you eatin worms brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

trawling sagebrush

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

my impression is that a faang salary should have let a family with kids save enough even when living in a high col area, not considering severance

i've seen claims that, between the cost of housing, childcare, and other general monthly expenses, the total cost of living in the bay area while raising a child can easily push $20k a month

that's… a lot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pre-5 daycare in the core of silicon valley can easily exceed 5 grand a month. my friends who had twins just had one parent not work until they were in school

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I would simply buy a child aged 5 and avoid the problem entirely.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
several of the school districts in the fancy silicon valley suburbs (like mountain view) have been closing and consolidating campuses because their enrollments have plummeted on account of most people trying to raise a family have to move out to the hinterlands in order to afford it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
colma has a lot of residents that pay $0 for housing, maybe learn their one weird trick idk

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The_Franz posted:

i've seen claims that, between the cost of housing, childcare, and other general monthly expenses, the total cost of living in the bay area while raising a child can easily push $20k a month

that's… a lot

Tarquin couldn't possibly do without his polo lessons

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

colma has a lot of residents that pay $0 for housing, maybe learn their one weird trick idk

theres rental grave spaces in that graveyard iirc

that was a mindfuck lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Fool posted:

we should at least show some solidarity with fellow posters affected by bubel pop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I would simply buy a child aged 5 and avoid the problem entirely.
:hmmyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres rental grave spaces in that graveyard iirc

that was a mindfuck lol

i was about to make that joke lol but nope its just real

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

pre-5 daycare in the core of silicon valley can easily exceed 5 grand a month. my friends who had twins just had one parent not work until they were in school

yeah its preschool (and rent ofc) thats the killer here. Small kids are super fuckin expensive.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

4lokos basilisk posted:

my impression is that a faang salary should have let a family with kids save enough even when living in a high col area

Not really

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have been stashing away a deece amount of money but its mostly because my wife is also paid really well and we bought a house 20 years ago. if it was just me supporting the family we'd be ok but with very little cushion.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
the pay discrepancy from the coasts to the interior is a big source of friction that in my hot take causes a lot of barriers to solidarity. going from 65k in KY to six figgies in a few years from when i moved was a mind gently caress

the 650/m to 2k a month rent was another. it's a really hard discrepency to comprehend both ways.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i was severely underpaid in a major area and now i'm just underpaid

and also specifically facebook-the-website workers can get stuffed, other meta related employees have my support mostly

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
vestment plan
jadynn needs daycare!

etc.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cheese eats mouse posted:

the pay discrepancy from the coasts to the interior is a big source of friction that in my hot take causes a lot of barriers to solidarity. going from 65k in KY to six figgies in a few years from when i moved was a mind gently caress

the 650/m to 2k a month rent was another. it's a really hard discrepency to comprehend both ways.

in the past year my tally for friends and ppl I know fleeing the west coast for more affordable places is at 10, myself included. I don’t understand how poor people are supposed to live in some of these cities, it’s way too easy to end up homeless or displaced, and the housing quality and negligence is next level bad. I’m kind of grateful that the place we were living sold over Christmas, even if it pushed us out of the city, as our quality of life in the hinterlands is much better

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the advantage the west coast has is not the very portable computertouchers, its the extremely nonportable unis and vcs. and i knew a couple of vcs who moved to like miami, ate a 97% decrease in deal flow, and had to move back

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

and i knew a couple of vcs who moved to like miami, ate a 97% decrease in deal flow, and had to move back

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OldAlias posted:

in the past year my tally for friends and ppl I know fleeing the west coast for more affordable places is at 10, myself included. I don’t understand how poor people are supposed to live in some of these cities, it’s way too easy to end up homeless or displaced, and the housing quality and negligence is next level bad. I’m kind of grateful that the place we were living sold over Christmas, even if it pushed us out of the city, as our quality of life in the hinterlands is much better

there's a reason why things like public housing for teachers is popping up, otherwise the pool of applicants who can afford to live there is limited to those who live with their parents, have a tech/finance spouse, or inherited a house and/or money

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

theres part of me that daydreams about moving back to rural indiana and living on like a cheap 10 acres with river access and cosplaying as wendell berry.

its probably a good thing that im married to a woman who would never do that in a million years.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the advantage the west coast has is not the very portable computertouchers, its the extremely nonportable unis and vcs. and i knew a couple of vcs who moved to like miami, ate a 97% decrease in deal flow, and had to move back

but the citadel capital guy said that florida is so much more ~business friendly~

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bublé

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

The_Franz posted:

but the citadel capital guy said that florida is so much more ~business friendly~

that dipshit was recently seen saying Illinois' flat tax is regressive and needs to change

after he spent dozens of millions preventing us from changing the flat tax system a few years ago. he's a fuckin moron but at least he pretty much killed the gop here when he left

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, that guy doesnt need to take face to face meetings, you can actually do his kinda hedging on the computer

the vcs had a short lacuna during the pandemic proper but its basically over

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ok i stand corrected i guess.

so my impression was that the only reason someone would put up with sf bay area cost of living and commutes is that you would be making deece enough figgies to basically keep 1/3 or more of your take home as pure savings. and leading from that assumption i also thought that a median computertoucher would be fine coasting on their savings for 1 year or more if there is also severance on top of that.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

4lokos basilisk posted:

so my impression was that the only reason someone would put up with sf bay area cost of living and commutes is that you would be making deece enough figgies to basically keep 1/3 or more of your take home as pure savings. and leading from that assumption i also thought that a median computertoucher would be fine coasting on their savings for 1 year or more if there is also severance on top of that.

probably can, if you don’t have kids.

im lucky my brother had 2 so my parents don’t bother me about it because I don’t think they’d like my response that I would like to have kids but ruled it out years ago because the us is grinding parents into a fine dust

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

you can actually do his kinda edging on the computer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

depends on a lot of things but esp for people just starting out or young families with small children, they're probably MORE vulnerable than someone in the flyovers.

the big deal about the bay area is (was?) that the job market was so much larger and your resume could look so much better. Like if i quit my job in a snit or the startup failed or whatever I could easily have a full week of interviews lined up in a couple days, and its easy to have a bunch of well-known tech companies on your resume.

Things are a little less certain now, i honestly dont know which way its gonna flop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i have no children no spouse one cat a tech salary and the ability to get more cats i am set

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i cracked open my "skippin this recession lol" fund

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 21, 2023

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Enderzero posted:

probably can, if you don’t have kids.

can confirm, i have no kids in the bay area and frankly can’t spend my money fast enough. i’ve got enough in savings to last me a good five years if need be, and i’m pretty terrible with money overall.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

why are birth rates declining :iiam:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

birth rates are declining because being single is loving awesome you get to do literally whatever you want without disappointing or failing anybody and now we don’t have as many insane boomers breathing down our necks demanding grandchildren

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

speaking of four legged friends i adopted another rescue cat today, from a rescue / hoarding situation
she's decompressing in the other room, and is supposed to until next week. i can tell she'll be a good friend though, and she already lets me pick her up. just deeply unsure after surviving such a chaotic living environment. now it's good tunes + scritches + being doted on

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

birth rates are declining because being single is loving awesome you get to do literally whatever you want without disappointing or failing anybody and now we don’t have as many insane boomers breathing down our necks demanding grandchildren

now you just have me demanding cats

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Broken Machine posted:

speaking of four legged friends i adopted another rescue cat today, from a rescue / hoarding situation
she's decompressing in the other room, and is supposed to until next week. i can tell she'll be a good friend though, and she already lets me pick her up. just deeply unsure after surviving such a chaotic living environment. now it's good tunes + scritches + being doted on

image not loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

image not loading.

yeah im seeing the same issue please check your image host