Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

According to the SSA there are a couple dozen men in the USA named Sephiroth, most of them in their early 20s

there are no finnish sephiroths or gokus, but there are "fewer than five" tarzans. i'd think there's just the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

does Finland also have a book with approved names you can name your kid?

I think a few countries don’t have that but will take your kid if you name them Sæphiroth the Mighty or whatever, but I could be mistaken

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

does Finland also have a book with approved names you can name your kid?

I think a few countries don’t have that but will take your kid if you name them Sæphiroth the Mighty or whatever, but I could be mistaken

No.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

the finns might name their kids after licorice brands

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

don't look down on fazermints

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dioxazine posted:

don't look down on fazermints

i'd been eating Fazerina for about forty years before i found out it's orange-flavoured. but i knew right away Fazermint was mint-flavoured! (I'm very smart!)

e: tempting

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/179913/Fazer-Fazermint-suklaakonvehti-3-kg

ee: love the poo poo cigarette packaging aesthetic

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

been playing deadcells again since someone mentioned it. got a second cell last night after doing a first run through of castlevania dlc and beating death for the first time. now i have to get to the clock tower to try for dracula?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just beat Elden Ring in NG++ to get the final ending cheevo, don't think i've ever deliberately 100% the cheevos for a game on Steam before lol: https://steamcommunity.com/id/garbagedotnet/stats/appid/1245620/achievements

looking forward to the DLC. might also peep Sekiro that looks cool

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just beat Elden Ring in NG++ to get the final ending cheevo, don't think i've ever deliberately 100% the cheevos for a game on Steam before lol: https://steamcommunity.com/id/garbagedotnet/stats/appid/1245620/achievements

looking forward to the DLC. might also peep Sekiro that looks cool

if you never played sekiro def check it out its arguably their best game.

be prepared to get wrecked though its also objectively the hardest

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the only other one i played was dark souls 1 which i bounced-off due to the whole tedious nature of the game (i don't mind the difficulty but having to walk >10 minutes to retry a boss is some dumb bullshit). i'd love to play Bloodborne but alas i don't have a console so Sekiro is my next best bet.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I am playing Ultima VI on my FM Towns. The voice acting in the Towns port really enhances the Italian-accented blacksmith that literally says "I make-a da swords!"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the only other one i played was dark souls 1 which i bounced-off due to the whole tedious nature of the game (i don't mind the difficulty but having to walk >10 minutes to retry a boss is some dumb bullshit). i'd love to play Bloodborne but alas i don't have a console so Sekiro is my next best bet.

unless someone can convince me to try DS2/3, do they have the same tedious bs as DS1?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

if you never played sekiro def check it out its arguably their best game.

be prepared to get wrecked though its also objectively the hardest

yeah i don't mind hard games just as long as it's not tedious, like with DS1 as ive mentioned

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pile Of Garbage posted:

check out Dark Souls 3, you dont really need to play any of the others and its definitely the "tightest" of the trilogy (much more similar to the elden ring experience), its my personal favorite but opinions vary wildly on the trilogy.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

check out Dark Souls 3, you dont really need to play any of the others and its definitely the "tightest" of the trilogy (much more similar to the elden ring experience), its my personal favorite but opinions vary wildly on the trilogy.

that sounds cool, i'll check it out cheers.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I don't think I've cursed at a game more than Sekiro during the Lady Butterfly fight. It's real, real good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhhFl5zgA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZtISgOxEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ

lfg.jpeg

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm not watching a 2 min video are they doing 128-tick rate or not?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

based on the tick rate video im gonna guess it's 128 ticks but also includes fighting game-style rollback code

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mfers think they're gonna eliminate peek advantage without actually saying it. Riot already tried that with Valorant and ended up admitting defeat.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

yeaaaaaa I watch that net code video and still wonder “sooooo what’s your tick rate for real”

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ngl im really excited about cs 2, havemt played cs in prolly 10-15 years but every other competitive shooter is a dog turd lately.

also the finals the beta has been fun, though i wish anyone i knew was in it

i was one of the few brain damaged people actually enjoying bf2042 at launch but im just so sick of it now, they've ruined that franchise for me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're calling it "tickless" which is obviously not a thing in the litterrall sense, but maybe tick rate wont be as important if subticks can be handled at super high resolution.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pile Of Garbage posted:

theyre mkaing it 8000000 tick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bring back unreal tournament

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my guess as to the implementation of the tick rate is 128 ticks but also each packet sent to the server includes precise timestamps for various events (bullet fired, etc) and the server automatically rectifies the game state--hence me drawing the comparison to fighting game rollback netcode

tick rate though is unexciting, check out those :pcgaming: server-side volumetric smoke grenades :pcgaming:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i've always hated counterstrike's movement and gunplay, but the technology changes are cool. maybe they could be used for a good game

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

i've always hated counterstrike's movement and gunplay, but the technology changes are cool. maybe they could be used for a good game

somewhere within that rat's nest of a company someone must be working on tf3, right :negative:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CS peaked at 1.3. also fyi CS is actually contributing to people developing gambling addictions thanks to the skin economy and permissive Steam API:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmNy11Mn7g

and in general Valve sounds like a super hosed-up place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9aCwCKgkLo

Sagebrush posted:

Bring back unreal tournament

this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

if by tf3 you mean titanfall 3 then one can only hope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho im sure apex would benefit from new source engine updates if ur talking about games w/ good gunplay and movement

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

yeah probably!

tick rate in apex is already fairly high relatively speaking, though i've not played since season 10

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
they killed tf2 with hats

though tbf tf classic was always significantly better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly it's probably better that UT 2017 was abandoned and is now dead. Epic wouldn't have been able to resist putting in loot boxes and micro transactions and hats and grinding and unlocks and a battle royale mode and it would be nothing like the good old days.

Games don't even let you host your own server anymore. It's loving dumb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dioxazine posted:

yeah probably!

tick rate in apex is already fairly high relatively speaking, though i've not played since season 10

i havent played in a while either, but it is far and away the best battle royale and feels so freaking good.

Mr. Crow posted:

they killed tf2 with hats

though tbf tf classic was always significantly better

yeah thats my take as well though i know some people really love tf2.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CS:GO skins make valve an obscene amount of money

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly it's probably better that UT 2017 was abandoned and is now dead. Epic wouldn't have been able to resist putting in loot boxes and micro transactions and hats and grinding and unlocks and a battle royale mode and it would be nothing like the good old days.

Games don't even let you host your own server anymore. It's loving dumb

deadgame BF2042 keeps trying to trick players into trying it by claiming they're fixing it to be more like an actual BF game but it still has characters and still doesnt have dedicated servers

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Shaggar posted:

i havent played in a while either, but it is far and away the best battle royale and feels so freaking good.

that, really, is the tragedy of PUBG

but yes, apex is probably the best BR out there and the movement is just so smooth

i also quite liked TF2 prior to hats

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i played a bunch of TF2 but not anywhere near as much as TFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

tf2 was great even with hats and some of the alternate weapons