Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, as a fellow celeron haver this is interesting. how does it perform vs. chrome?

it's chromium-based so... exactly the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

k-meleon got better at https last year, and there will come a day I will fully switch to it at home because gently caress modern web

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

it's chromium-based so... exactly the same?

the javascript engines are different though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I use Firefox but it definitely performs worse on some websites than chrome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

laserghost posted:

k-meleon got better at https last year, and there will come a day I will fully switch to it at home because gently caress modern web

drat I ain’t heard that name in ages

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah google maps is a stuttery mess on anything that isn't chrome-based, even on an m2 max

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, as a fellow celeron haver this is interesting. how does it perform vs. chrome?

I don't have benchmarks on hand but Edge is a bit faster/more efficient. I'm sure somebody tested it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

yeah google maps is a stuttery mess on anything that isn't chrome-based, even on an m2 max
the navigation feels like its gotten worse over the years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Historically Edge is way more efficient and has upper limits on resource usage, but idk if thats still the case. its probably better on a low end processor than chome

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

besides which the netscape money continues to have a great impact to this day, makes you think

yeah, netscape may have popularized the web browser but it also made marc anderseen believe he was an important tech industry figure soooo

the best use of that money was jwz re-opening the dna lounge

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
netscape ruined the web forever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then mozilla put it in its grave

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and finally google dug up the corpse to monetize it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

goddammit microsoft you had one job

if this is the microsoft quality in 2023 i might as well install linux to launch my steam games
i bet it's because i tried to install the windows 11 pro n edition without all the bundled crapware

the internet is also entire unhelpful about what causes this, and the log files in the error message are useless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what are you trying to play that involves installing dx runtimes in 2023?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why are you installing directx and why are you using windows N? what was the actual error in the logs?

Any directx installer is going to be for older versions of windows so its probably not meant to work in windows 11. Alternatively, you nuked a component needed by the installer when you decided to go w/ windows N.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Most games are linked against an older directx runtime to be compatible with older windowses and steam silently installs any missing runtimes for you, in this case it would just silently fail and the game would die with various forms of "directx is missing" messages.

The log file just had a bunch of lines with "dxblah.dll is already installed" and then it would suddenly stop with no error.
I noticed the entire xbox game bar stuff is ripped out of windows 11 n so maybe they screwed up something important

I've already begrudgingly switched to the crapware version and now it works fine

ugh

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

for the last few weeks ive rolled my eyes at the whole "tiktok is a national security threat" bs being spouted by the mainstream media. but now in YOSPOS of all places someone with neither shame nor wherewithal posts a picture of their start menu clearly showing that they're running fuckin tiktok on a windows desktop.

truly this is an existential threat unlike no other and must be stopped at all costs.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also you idiots it's pronounced chome/chomium/chedge/chedgium.

oh and i hate the new m365 outlook they moved the buttons from the bottom-left to a left sidebar for no fuckin reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Pile Of Garbage posted:

for the last few weeks ive rolled my eyes at the whole "tiktok is a national security threat" bs being spouted by the mainstream media. but now in YOSPOS of all places someone with neither shame nor wherewithal posts a picture of their start menu clearly showing that they're running fuckin tiktok on a windows desktop.

truly this is an existential threat unlike no other and must be stopped at all costs.

i think that comes with a default windows install now lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

son of a BITCH

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

can confirm, my recent windows 11 upgrade put tiktok and a bunch of other crap I thought was phone app only right in the start menu by default

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i swear the most recent online outlook revision started out fine and has been just consistently made worse one change at a time for a long time now.

to the point where i am with shaggar; i'll pout a lot when the windows mail client inevitably gets replaced with that thing.

it is busy in every corner, but one of the main things it does it respects every folder of my email accounts equally, and having had several of them for two decades most folders are day-to-day irrelevant (though important as a matter of archival. where the windows mail client just goes "ok, lets just show the inbox of all accounts, you get to click if you want more". which is way more sensible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
instead of using the total unread emails which is a totally worthless value, the windows mail client shows total unread since you last looked as the badge count for new messages. like someone thought about that design for more than 2 seconds and the result is what people actually need (number of new emails) rather than what they might think they want (number of unread emails)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, generally windows mail is absolutely flawed, but *someone* on that team did think for a couple of minutes and got to make decisions.

VDP1
Mar 11, 2023
i've been visited by the
[**]Linux Gnu (cow)[**]

Jenny Agutter posted:

can confirm, my recent windows 11 upgrade put tiktok and a bunch of other crap I thought was phone app only right in the start menu by default

just use the MS Media Installation Tool to pull Enterprise and run the massgravel tool to activate using the HWID method, bing bong so simple :filez:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

massgravel my nuts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
installing fedora linux and running things from steam involves too much nerd crap, so let's use a bunch of IT janitor tools to remove all of the first-party literal actual malware from my OS like i'm a veterinarian deworming sheep for a living

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jenny Agutter posted:

on the "pro" sku no less. you have to go and completely disable the online content delivery via gpo or the registry to keep from getting that poo poo on first run

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

installing fedora linux and running things from steam involves too much nerd crap, so let's use a bunch of IT janitor tools to remove all of the first-party literal actual malware from my OS like i'm a veterinarian deworming sheep for a living

you would probably use pop_os if you had a video card worth playing games on, and yeah, then you're stuck using linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

running steam on linux is not hard at all lol

as someone already mentioned steam will install the vc and directx redists for you. it's literally "wine steam.exe", or you can double click the desktop shortcut i guess

e: steam natively includes a wine wrapper ("proton") now on linux anyway. it will literally do everything for you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no one said it was hard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

installing fedora linux and running things from steam involves too much nerd crap

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

installing fedora is just as difficult as installing windows 11. installing steam on any supported linux distro is literally the same process as windows, they even cloned the installer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just to check in, do you too argue that windows ships with "literal actual malware"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was Sapozhnik beating up a strawman to accidentally make a point about how nobody wants to use linux.

they're right, nobody wants to use linux. there are 40-odd pages in this thread complaining about the stupid bullshit microsoft has pulled with windows, and still, even with rough feature parity and one-click installations of all your favourite apps, games, and tools, no one wants to use linux

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 22, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just to check in, do you too argue that windows ships with "literal actual malware"

no, it ships with pointers to malware. afaik they're just shortcuts as-is

e: oh i guess that might be a reference to the analytics? in which case i understand it, but it's not malware. more like spyware i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

installing fedora is just as difficult as installing windows 11. installing steam on any supported linux distro is literally the same process as windows, they even cloned the installer

like, OP does not think it's too hard to install linux. they're making fun of people in this thread who refuse to install linux. same as they were the last, idk, four or five times they posted that exact same thing in this thread. check their post history

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

no, it ships with pointers to malware. afaik they're just shortcuts as-is

which ones are the malware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
this isn't the linux thread but fwiw i have an amd rx 6700xt card and if you don't do any ray tracing gimmick crap then it runs everything just fine at max settings at 1080p60. and it makes a pretty good go of running most things at 1440p144 if i forget to kick the settings down or don't bother or whatever. i don't have any RT games but supposedly that already works-ish on the open source amd drivers as well.

faith ekstrand et al recently started to write a new open source nvidia vulkan driver as well and the mesa people are regularly going from zero to production-grade gpu drivers in something like 18 months now just because they have so much common graphics driver infrastructure to build on, so pretty soon the proprietary nvidia driver might not even matter for gaming applications (obviously you'd still need it for cuda etc).