Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think the origin of that was all the 1st party microsoft poo poo that resets your app preferences and defaults, behaving in the same way malware did in the 9x-win 7 days, where they would hijack your various settings to point to their services or apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

like, OP does not think it's too hard to install linux. they're making fun of people in this thread who refuse to install linux. same as they were the last, idk, four or five times they posted that exact same thing in this thread. check their post history

lol ok point taken. still, it's pretty easy and the performance is usually just as good as windows, possibly better on older hardware

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

which ones are the malware?

see edit, i'm not even sure what they're actually referring to. if it's the third party stuff, idk. i never let it install. if it's the analytics, then yeah, that's not malware per se but the behavior isn't what i'd categorize as "good"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

this isn't the linux thread but fwiw i have an amd rx 6700xt card and if you don't do any ray tracing gimmick crap then it runs everything just fine at max settings at 1080p60. and it makes a pretty good go of running most things at 1440p144 if i forget to kick the settings down or don't bother or whatever. i don't have any RT games but supposedly that already works-ish on the open source amd drivers as well.

faith ekstrand et al recently started to write a new open source nvidia vulkan driver as well and the mesa people are regularly going from zero to production-grade gpu drivers in something like 18 months now just because they have so much common graphics driver infrastructure to build on, so pretty soon the proprietary nvidia driver might not even matter for gaming applications (obviously you'd still need it for cuda etc).

the nvidia drivers work fine in pop_os, but you do have to use specific distros if you don't want to deal with broken nerd poo poo. the performance is very nearly equivalent even using RTX features, with the primary difference being that the low end framerate is a lot lower, so it can be noticeable at times. i did a test build with a 3080, running cyberpunk 2077 and control at 4k, with ray tracing and using dlss, and everything worked and was within ~10fps on average of the same system on windows.

the biggest visible feature deficiency i've seen is the lack of hdr support.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

i think the origin of that was all the 1st party microsoft poo poo that resets your app preferences and defaults, behaving in the same way malware did in the 9x-win 7 days, where they would hijack your various settings to point to their services or apps

at any rate it's pretty unseemly. yeah a lot of people might appreciate that there's shortcuts to apps that they might want to download but the rest of us (or at least, *points at thread* us) don't want a bunch of third party crapware clogging up a clean install of an os, professional edition or no. it's still a pain in the rear end to remove and there have been more and more shortcuts cropping up with every major os update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, it's absolute bullshit. i've said it before, but it's just straight up contempt for the user.

why even allow us to change these settings if you're just going to periodically reset them to whatever? just go full osx and don't even present the option.

the fact that the default behaviour after every feature update is to reinstall all the bundled apps is also pretty on the nose. they're not even receiving updates because of the feature update, the modern app update mechanism is part of windows store, it's completely separate. it's entirely a "gently caress you, you're gonna look at this poo poo because we've sold that to our partners"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for sure for sure, microsoft has a bloody nose coming from the way they are treating that poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi, any settings configured through local policy will never ever outside of insane circumstances be touched by windows update or anything other than domain group policy (because that is the point of policy). last time i rebuilt my home PC i installed windows, updated it to latest, fired up gpedit.msc and just went through all the poo poo and disabled all the garbage.

tedious? yes. effective? definitely.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for sure for sure, microsoft has a bloody nose coming from the way they are treating that poo poo

well, they definitely don't care what users think of it.

just like they don't care what users think of constant ux/ui changes, or rolling releases, or feature creep in every product, or cramming their gpt model into every nook and cranny of every product they make.

they don't give a gently caress. they do things, the users will put up with it. no one is moving off ms platforms because of this poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

fyi, any settings configured through local policy will never ever outside of insane circumstances be touched by windows update or anything other than domain group policy (because that is the point of policy). last time i rebuilt my home PC i installed windows, updated it to latest, fired up gpedit.msc and just went through all the poo poo and disabled all the garbage.

tedious? yes. effective? definitely.

this is the way i deal with everything too, with the caveat that they've moved more and more of the annoying poo poo into the enterprise sku only, because gently caress you, windows was too cheap so now you pay for pro, and software assurance, and enterprise, if you don't want us cramming this poo poo up your rear end.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pro is enough to avoid basically all bullshit. these days enterprise really only gets you advanced security features (Defender for Endpoint, etc.)

edit: also companies aren't even buying devices with enterprise installed and just rely on the upgrade that M365 Enterprise E5 subscription provides.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it doesn't completely disable everything. like infernal said they will reinstall the garbage app shortcuts after every major update (i guess they're the equivalent of service packs now?) even if you tell it not to

they won't fully install of course, but the shortcuts are there. at least ime

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

it doesn't completely disable everything. like infernal said they will reinstall the garbage app shortcuts after every major update (i guess they're the equivalent of service packs now?) even if you tell it not to

they won't fully install of course, but the shortcuts are there. at least ime

shortcuts i've not seen, but i don't doubt it, i detest going through the "are you sure you don't want some defaults" bits enough to be bitter though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pro is enough to avoid basically all bullshit. these days enterprise really only gets you advanced security features (Defender for Endpoint, etc.)

edit: also companies aren't even buying devices with enterprise installed and just rely on the upgrade that M365 Enterprise E5 subscription provides.

there are a list of ui specific gpos that only apply to enterprise. i know this because i build this poo poo for work and streamlining the user first run is one of the things that's become progressively more annoying with every windows feature release since 1507

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ive never experienced random app shortcuts appearing anywhere in my start menu or elsewhere since using win10 and win11 for like years. only exception is sometimes new apps will get installed but i just uninstall them and they stay uninstalled.

idk what magic combination of settings affords me this luxury. i usually disable all suggested and recommended start menu poo poo, maybe that's part of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/group-policies-for-enterprise-and-education-editions

quote:

Configure Spotlight on lock screen
Turn off all Windows Spotlight features
Turn off Microsoft consumer features
Turn off app notifications on the lock screen
Do not show Windows Tips
Force a specific default lock screen image
Start layout
Turn off the Store application
Don't search the web or display web results

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the start menu one says it can be applied to pro as of 1703 :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is not a comprehensive list, there are actually more, and in traditional microsoft fashion, finding them in documentation is a scavenger hunt

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

like idk i wont deny that windows is a big POS but if you take time to tediously configure poo poo as i apparently have then it becomes a static normal semi-poo poo OS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pile Of Garbage posted:

ive never experienced random app shortcuts appearing anywhere in my start menu or elsewhere since using win10 and win11 for like years. only exception is sometimes new apps will get installed but i just uninstall them and they stay uninstalled.

idk what magic combination of settings affords me this luxury. i usually disable all suggested and recommended start menu poo poo, maybe that's part of it.

what country do you live in? apparently the worst of this sewage is only dumped on people living in the us

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AU. we use the same install media as US, just diff regional options.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

install media don't mean poo poo when these features are applied post install by online services that the system connects to as part of the oobe. they are region specific, based on your physical location and the country you select during the oobe wizard

the one way to 100% prevent that is to do an offline install, and then disable all of the content management features (per user), via a combination of GPO and registry keys (because windows does not enforce all the content management gpos for non-enterprise skus)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

basically yeah. also all the appx installations are per-user anyway so rip.

that said if you're in enterprise then you can do autopilot deploys which loving rule

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the number of people who care enough and are knowledgeable enough to deploy gpos to fix this has to be a very small proportion of the install base anyway so it feels like it's actively spiteful.

most people really do not Computer much at all, they just use computer. and crapware has been a fact of life on all non-Apple computing devices for decades now. the only real difference is that microsoft decided that if there's going to be crapware on computers running their OS anyway then they may as well get their beak wet too.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty much. i recently did a design for an environment that's PSPF Zone 2 (OFFICIAL: Sensitive, IDK what the US/UK equivalent is) and a very big part of it was just disabling poo poo. the AU DTA takes the same stance with their blueprint for PROTECTED deployments which includes a script to strip garbage unauthorised apps: https://desktop.gov.au/assets/files/abac/RemoveBuiltInApps.txt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not about individual users, microsoft has been loving over the pro sku specifically to target small and medium businesses that weren't already on enterprise. they want to funnel these businesses into microsoft 365 subscriptions for windows. to that end, they just keep making GBS threads up pro with more and more poo poo from home, and prevent you from disabling or automating removal, because gently caress you, pay me, again. every month.

VDP1
Mar 11, 2023
i've been visited by the
[**]Linux Gnu (cow)[**]
Allow Telemetry being set to none is only honored by Enterprise and Education SKUs.

By default Microsoft gets every Window.Title ("app state change") and that's no goood

VDP1 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 23, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pretty much. i recently did a design for an environment that's PSPF Zone 2 (OFFICIAL: Sensitive, IDK what the US/UK equivalent is) and a very big part of it was just disabling poo poo. the AU DTA takes the same stance with their blueprint for PROTECTED deployments which includes a script to strip garbage unauthorised apps: https://desktop.gov.au/assets/files/abac/RemoveBuiltInApps.txt

:rip: calculator

technically secure, since you can no longer pop calc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol i actually had to push new notepad back to the clients via intune. at least that poo poo is kinda straightforward and you just pick the store app in intune instead of uploading some mystery MSIX.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just use the wine equivalents :haw:

joking aside i did do that back in the xp days on a school network to get around gp restrictions, regedit also. they worked

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just to check in, do you too argue that windows ships with "literal actual malware"

sure, but unlike linux it has working drivers and native games

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

r u ready to WALK posted:

goddammit microsoft you had one job

if this is the microsoft quality in 2023 i might as well install linux to launch my steam games
i bet it's because i tried to install the windows 11 pro n edition without all the bundled crapware

the internet is also entire unhelpful about what causes this, and the log files in the error message are useless

just google "d3dx11_69.dll download" and copy it into C:\Games\Posting Simulator 2009\ like a normal person

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is it not possible to make outlook show the entire thread* in the reader pane so i can just scroll up down to see every mail without clicking them like a animal

like in gmail and mail.app??

* "conversations" lmao :rolleye:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turn off conversation view (view tab -> untick "show as conversations")

they've moved this, again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

not in the list view, the reader pane where the email content is displayed. i want them one above the other so I don't have to click between each individual mail to read them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turning off conversations does both, or at least it does on the specific build and ui a/b scenario i'm on with outlook 365 right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you have the "modern outlook" ui redesign this may no longer be true, that fisher price bullshit apes the outlook for mac style and god knows what the gently caress they've done with it

so if you have the outlook preview tunred on, turn that off. if you don't have the outlook preview turned on and you still have that interface, format your hard drive and install linux, because there's no reliable way to get any specific ui in modern click to run office apps unless you use the deferred release channel and install one that doesn't have it and also never update

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 23, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol ok thanks

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VDP1 posted:

Allow Telemetry being set to none is only honored by Enterprise and Education SKUs.

By default Microsoft gets every Window.Title ("app state change") and that's no goood

Thanks, I'm having our MSP do this. Luv 2 pay for Enterprise so I can disable the start menu web results and telemetry.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if your MSP manages your SOE and you have to ask them to remove dogshit garbage from the SOE then they're not managing your SOE lol.

also the only good SOEs are gonna be done by those who aren't bereft of imagination or curiosity. you literally need someone who thinks "hmm i wonder what that setting does, oh neat it does thing, lets make it do other thing" because the whole thing is so broad and sparsely documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpost:

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/zacbowden/status/1643594814120656897

I'm so loving glad I don't have to deal with localization and internationalization any more.

lol good poo poo