Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

graph posted:

dont forget to set your jiggler, and because we're never going longer than an hour, anyone hitting you up on teams or w/e has an under-an-hour buffer zone which can be brushed off with a 'whoops, just saw this'

if youre close with your c/w, if there's a Fire and theyre Cool you can have a Dual Agreement to text each other if said fire happens in either of your Nap Zones. the system works!

i hope these tips itt today can lead to a more positive wfh experience. happy napping

may a nap be with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i can't do short naps. i just can't

anything under 2 hours and i feel worse than when i went to sleep

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the reason is that you're waking up at a bad time in your sleep cycle. no joke the 15-20 minute power nap is the best form of nap i have found. it takes some practice to learn to fall asleep in that time but thankfully the practice is literally "set a timer, go close your eyes, if you don't fall asleep that's ok you still got some rest"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i just don't really get the nap thing. to each their own tho

what's your stance on sleeping in?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pile Of Garbage posted:

what's your stance on sleeping in?

loving hate it. i'm in bed by midnight, asleep by 1, up between 6:45 and 7:30

nothing pisses me off like waking up and it's 10:17 am. even on weekends? especially on weekends

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

jonny are you a literal psycopath irl

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

respectable. i used to hate sleeping in on weekends, feels like you lose half the day. then i just lost all self respect and poo poo. now ill sleep to the crypt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

doesnt like naps? doesnt like sleeping in??

quiggy posted:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

gently caress it. afternoon coffee.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

graph posted:

dont forget to set your jiggler, and because we're never going longer than an hour, anyone hitting you up on teams or w/e has an under-an-hour buffer zone which can be brushed off with a 'whoops, just saw this'

if youre close with your c/w, if there's a Fire and theyre Cool you can have a Dual Agreement to text each other if said fire happens in either of your Nap Zones. the system works!

i hope these tips itt today can lead to a more positive wfh experience. happy napping

jotting this down for future studies and experimentation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy posted:

I am of an age where my good years can be counted on fingers and toes. I just don't want to sleep it away. that's all.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

same i always wake up from a nap feeling angry and disoriented

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i was getting away with a python script on the previous work laptop since it was a dinosaur company, but i suspect that i may have to get an actual jiggler for the next

open to recommendations from the primary nap admins!

Jonny 290 posted:

loving hate it. i'm in bed by midnight, asleep by 1, up between 6:45 and 7:30

nothing pisses me off like waking up and it's 10:17 am. even on weekends? especially on weekends

i'm in bed by 9:30 PM and awake by 4:30 AM most of the time. largely due to work, but the schedule is pretty nice except during DST. boo, hiss

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

same i always wake up from a nap feeling angry and disoriented

i always wake up like that. longer i sleep the worse it gets cos i have extremely vivid dreams

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

I am of an age where my good years can be counted on fingers and toes. I just don't want to sleep it away. that's all.

hmm. i guess this answer is acceptable.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

dioxazine posted:

i'm in bed by 9:30 PM and awake by 4:30 AM most of the time. largely due to work, but the schedule is pretty nice except during DST. boo, hiss

this is nuts

my last job i worked with weirdos like this who would show up to the office at like 5 am. i'd get there at 8:30-9 am and was always ALWAYS the last person in. just one of the many reasons i only stayed there for 12 months.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quiggy posted:

the reason is that you're waking up at a bad time in your sleep cycle. no joke the 15-20 minute power nap is the best form of nap i have found.

experimenting with nap lengths to find your optimal zone is important! mine is about 40 minutes, with a fall-asleep buffer included in the hour

quiggy posted:

it takes some practice to learn to fall asleep in that time but thankfully the practice is literally "set a timer, go close your eyes, if you don't fall asleep that's ok you still got some rest"

this is one of the the most important things about napping, training your brain to not get mad when you can't nap. about two weeks ago i couldn't nap all week but still got revitalized with the 'well, at least we're resting' thoughts during the hour and learning to control your breathing during

sometimes i can't get an hour in and have to shorten it up based on meetings/zooms etc. but the better you get with napping the more flexible your naps and nap windows can become and you can get that mid-day rejuvenation any time you like!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:yeah:

in college i had a little 15 minute nap app and one of the things it said was "even just closing your eyes can be profoundly beneficial" and it's true. even if you don't literally fall asleep, lying down in a calm space with your eyes closed for a little bit is still a lot more restful than not doing that

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

this is nuts

my last job i worked with weirdos like this who would show up to the office at like 5 am. i'd get there at 8:30-9 am and was always ALWAYS the last person in. just one of the many reasons i only stayed there for 12 months.

hey! i may be a weirdo but, ah.. hm

yeah, i got nothing :sigh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a period of terrible insomnia a couple times in my life, so i'd lay there meditating for hours on end. it worked pretty well for not being completely wiped at work

now im usually in bed before 10:00 and wake up around 9:30. i fall asleep quickly, too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dioxazine posted:

open to recommendations from the primary nap admins!

i use macos so i recommend amphetamine

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704?mt=12

it's more complex than it should be, but it works wonderfully! set the mouse cursor to move every minute (ignore the trigger function) then activate it in the menubar dropdown.

increments of 5 minutes, even. how convenient, based on how long your nap window can be for that day!

224 naps and counting! thanks amphetamine!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

longer i sleep the worse it gets cos i have extremely vivid dreams

mine kick in at the end and since march 2020 mine are insanely vivid but not to the point of lucidity, and my c/w has recommended i get diagnosed for night terrors when they hit. lol

pleasant dreams this week, though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i don't like structured naps. i like when they're a fun surprise while watching tv. especially the itchy eye sleepy feeling where you know if you close your eyes it's z town that i don't get at night.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quiggy posted:

in college i had a little 15 minute nap app and one of the things it said was "even just closing your eyes can be profoundly beneficial" and it's true. even if you don't literally fall asleep, lying down in a calm space with your eyes closed for a little bit is still a lot more restful than not doing that

wisdom.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

i had a period of terrible insomnia a couple times in my life, so i'd lay there meditating for hours on end. it worked pretty well for not being completely wiped at work

same friend. i am now at the longest point of my life without a longish term insomnia streak (more than three weeks)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have real bad insomnia too. Surprisingly enough the most effective fix is... Amphetamine

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
to meditation crew: i've only ever reached the blue stage. which stage have you gotten to?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i want to learn to meditate but im extremely bad at it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

I have real bad insomnia too. Surprisingly enough the most effective fix is... Amphetamine

way back when, i found that the one thing that helped me get decent, restful sleep was doing a wee line before bed. The alarm would go off and i would wake up rested and alert.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

way back when, i found that the one thing that helped me get decent, restful sleep was doing a wee line before bed. The alarm would go off and i would wake up rested and alert.

lol. i take coffee naps sometime where I chug a mug and lay down, wake up feeling ok. But overall the speed right when I wake up seems to trick my brain into being alert during the day instead of when I'm in bed trying to sleep

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quiggy posted:

my greatest weakness is not wanting to leave the little 15 minute nap if i get in the zone

graph posted:

to meditation crew: i've only ever reached the blue stage. which stage have you gotten to?

i dont know what this means

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Roosevelt posted:

my greatest weakness is not wanting to leave the little 15 minute nap if i get in the zone

this is why i nap in two phases, a 15 minute phase and then a 5 minute phase. the 5 minute phase makes me not hate when the 15 minute alarm goes off

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

graph posted:

not really sure what you mean. i've had visualizations that were almost certainly my brain starting to dream while i was awake, that was pretty cool. as far as buddhist stuff goes, idk i don't really have a teacher and am not comfortable ascribing jhana attainment to myself

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

quiggy posted:

this is why i nap in two phases, a 15 minute phase and then a 5 minute phase. the 5 minute phase makes me not hate when the 15 minute alarm goes off

polyphasic nap mode (quiggy rules)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they mean the vc backed app for meditating

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey bob how about you vc deez nuts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can say many things about vc backed tech companies but thinking theyll help your escape from dukka is quite the stupid one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quiggy posted:

i want to learn to meditate but im extremely bad at it
same, i can get my brain to shut up for maybe 8 seconds, tops. stupid thinking meat

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I wish I could nap but I generally can't

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the problem with naps is if i somehow manage to fall asleep, then im dead to the world for at least 2 hours, and then i wake up feeling more tired than before the nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

never been much of a nap guy but i have noticed that it's way easier to do as i get older. very useful for traveling across time zones now