Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rodinal is my go to developer but I make my own Rodinal out of Panadol. You can go really far down the black and white rabbit hole and make all your own chemicals from scratch and it's good and fun.

Hell, if you don't want to commit to buying developer you can make Caffenol out of instant coffee, washing soda and vitamin C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

here kid, have a picture

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
YCIAPOS: Your Chaff is a Piece of poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

here kid, have a picture

:wiggle:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that is some legit smooth bokeh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we doing plant macro?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
MFT is really quite capable at bokeh for the sensor size

(deliberately weird focus, i was trying out a stack)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

we doing plant macro?

noice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

look out, it's the fuzz

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not macro, but also pretty good bokeh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol

im a very serious instagram artist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

im a very serious instagram artist

that’s a pleasant picture to look at

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm the bokeh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

that’s a pleasant picture to look at

the orb is the real show

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 18, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

what do you think it wants from us

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Macro huh?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

drat nice claw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it’s an action shot. I don’t think it’s noteworthy at all but it’s one of her favourite shots from the shoot so I suppose that’s worth something. but it is a photo, and apparently it’s a box ticked off her bucket list, so, ya never know what photos can bring to someone’s life lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its a decent one, she looks happy

echinopsis posted:

it’s one of her favourite shots from the shoot

this is all that really matters anyway, especially if you're working for a client

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah exactly

this time
I divide my shots roughly into usable and non usable and then send low res copies of everything usable and she tells me what are her favourites and some are the same but some just aren’t which is interesting from the perspective of the alternative where I narrow them down and maybe miss shots she loves

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got a new camera today, a Minolta V2, fixed 45mm rangefinder, parallax correction and a party trick of getting 1/2000th out of a leaf shutter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Got a new camera today

mate if you think that's new, sorry, but I think you got swizzed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here is a picture of my son

I think it's a nice photo of him. and imo that's some bokeh for real.

when you've got a depth of field that thin, you need to nail the eyes with the focus. because his eyes arent on one plane, only the front eye is in focus, but it seems to work. if the focus is off it's very obvious, you can only use this lens if you nail the focus. the camera does the heavy lifting here lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also did a shoot with a woman who does pin-up

that was an experience. never shot with someone who was basically a professional before. she knew all the poses for going for a traditional pinup look, and holy poo poo her attention to detail

and she had two dresses that were loaned to her by some online retailer or something, and they give her loads of stuff, and they wanted some photos so I did some and then she posted the picture and credited me and then they posted the picture and credited her but not me, so now I feel like a moron for giving away high quality work lol.

but it was good experience, although I took like 500+ pictures and roughly HALF of them are good workable photos. ridiculous levels of choice for trying to work out which photos to focus on.

she's happy with them. which is good. it bodes well for the future of my photography. it occurred to me today that I used to have a decent level of concern that I was wasting someone's time, that we'd get out there, I'd fumble around, and end up delivering some fail images.. well what occurred to me today is that I don't have that worry anymore. I am very confident that if you give me half an hour with a person I can get a handful of images they will be happy with and even a couple maybe they really like.

went and did another shoot with this person. it was also a trial to see if the sun sets in a particular beach where I live and it does NOT lol. this image is good because the sun raised the blacks for me

I even beeftweeted it up myself. made sure I used every millimeter of the histogram. no blacks left unturned

perhaps this isn’t really interesting or noteworthy but the young woman was real tired after giving some presentation today and having stayed up till 5am preparing, and she really didn’t have the same energy that she had the other night. in the end I got a lot less usable shots, because her face didn’t come to the party. lol. so for future reference when you’re modelling (and lmao just tonight I offered to model for a facebook group of photographers) you have to be on your A game.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 19, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

we doing plant macro?

this has a real wet cherry blossom vibe that I dig

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

1/2000th out of a leaf shutter

mankind’s hubris will be its downfall.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beeftweeter I have some good news

I've worked out I can compensate for highly raised blacks by increasing the saturation/vibrance carefully

the only thing I don't like about raised blacks is that it can feel like I'd added a grey wash to the image, and increasing the colour carefully I can overcome that, and then end up with an image that really hits the heart AND the mind

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

beeftweeter I have some good news

I've worked out I can compensate for highly raised blacks by increasing the saturation/vibrance carefully

the only thing I don't like about raised blacks is that it can feel like I'd added a grey wash to the image, and increasing the colour carefully I can overcome that, and then end up with an image that really hits the heart AND the mind

that is good news

serious suggestion: have you tried playing with the curves? not just luminosity, there's overall rgb chroma and individual r/g/b curves also. it's something i almost never neglect to do because it can honestly be the difference between a good photo and a great one, imo. at first r/g/b individually probably isn't necessary, but luma and overall chroma is usually a must i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

but luma and overall chroma is usually a must i think

idk if I can do that with lightroom, and yeah I can use another tool for the odd photo but I can’t ditch lightroom for it’s catalogue features

but yeah never looked at them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

Sunset is the fuckin time to take photos though, the lighting is basically perfect as is, these are my settings:

also one of the photos I took, these were the settings. perhaps someone would tweak it bit but it didn’t need it to look good. sunsets just are that valuable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

also one of the photos I took, these were the settings. perhaps someone would tweak it bit but it didn’t need it to look good. sunsets just are that valuable

imo play around with some more points on there. if you like the lifted black look then you can still achieve that but with an actual black point set

afaik though you can't do luma only with lightroom, the "white" option seems to be rgb to me. i know you can do it with photoshop though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

quote != edit

heres an eggy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How do I lighten up this George pic in a better way than just using the auto adjust?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tried a macro thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

How do I lighten up this George pic in a better way than just using the auto adjust?

lighter how? something like this?

(some tweaking on the curves + lower contrast)

it really isn't a dark photo per se, it's just that the highlights and shadows are a bit uneven

e: from there tweaking the contrast again

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(before someone says "thats not different")

https://i.imgur.com/lMtS6sF.mp4

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

tried a macro thing

it is honestly hard to tell that these are bugs. at first i thought it was a wicker chair or something

i'm not sure i have any specific advice since i've never dealt with the subject but i'd try to maximize contrast somehow. it's not really clear what the subject actually is

e: lol i am very sorry achmed

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh it is an old radio's cloth speaker cover. i was just doing an abstract thing with it. not very successfully i suppose!

here's a phone shot of the whole thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hah well there you go. it also looks like little bees :v:

i wouldn't say it was unsuccessful in that case, i had assumed you were just shooting bees again

...which would have been apparently unsuccessful. but they're not bees! so don't worry about it. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

lighter how? something like this?

(some tweaking on the curves + lower contrast)

it really isn't a dark photo per se, it's just that the highlights and shadows are a bit uneven

e: from there tweaking the contrast again

I guess more like the 2nd one