Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

rotor posted:

i think the trick for non-north-americans is avoiding contracting firms that skim all the money off. It can be hard to find a company willing to directly hire someone overseas because of all the legal hassles.

IIRC if you're hiring someone remotely, and they live in the EU, all they need is to incorporate themselves as a one-man company. I applied to one American company during my most recent job search and that's what their recruiter told me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah idk the details but i do know that the big contracting companies steal all your money so

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

going to marry into wealth

good idea

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

4lokos basilisk posted:

i am sorry, i guess i sounded harsh before. my intention is definitely not to call out someone's savings or lifestyle or god forbid what they spend on their kids

i will reiterate though that i - an eastern euro person who has never lived or worked in the sf bay area or any other figgieland prime - assumed that sf bay area faang compensation are more than enough to support a family and be able to save rainy day money

because i also assume that somehow there must be people raising families with non-faang (or even non computer toucher) compensation in that very same sf bay area

and because if sf bay area faang salaries are not enough, then the situation is truly well hosed up for quite a lot of people. sure we've known this for a while, but you know the idea was that computer toucher salary can insulate against that more or less

there are and unless they bought a house >30 years ago, they are living very different lives than people on faang salaries is basically the answer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

armpit_enjoyer posted:

IIRC if you're hiring someone remotely, and they live in the EU, all they need is to incorporate themselves as a one-man company. I applied to one American company during my most recent job search and that's what their recruiter told me.
Yes.

But I think it's more if the potential employer would want to deal with that for your special snowlfake rear end, when they have the hiring processes standardized. I know we're either putting people on payroll or using a few companies for external workforce like Randstadt or Accenture. I dunno how that'd work if I just told a hiring manager to just send the money to some LLC.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Are these strapped for cash figgieland computer touchers living in nice neighborhoods, single occupant dwellings, close to work, with capped out 401k/IRA accounts?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nice

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

This. But I'm not looking for a homeless guy reading a book. I'm looking for the one jerking off in public. When I see that, I think, "now here's a guy who knows what he wants and is not going to let social conventions or modesty get in his way. This is a man that has c-level management written all over him," and I'm going to give him a job offer on the spot.

A cross between Ivan Vasilievich and Trading Places

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you mean diogenes of sinope, or diogenes kosmopolites

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
diogenes of snipe

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

:yeah:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Chris Knight posted:

diogenes of snipe

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
aka, the single dude with the most Posting Energy of the 1st millennium bc

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

sieve jorbs posted:

Are these strapped for cash figgieland computer touchers living in nice neighborhoods, single occupant dwellings, close to work, with capped out 401k/IRA accounts?

yes.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

aka, the single dude with the most Posting Energy of the 1st millennium bc

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My favorite Diogenes anecdote was how he used to hang out outside brothels and scream at patrons "a beautiful whore is like a poison flower!" and the like until they threw pocket change at him to shut him up, and once he had enough, he'd go in himself.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

and here me and wife are trying to imagine a move to the Island from Edmonton and all we see is $$$$$$

best of luck. from when I first lived in Victoria to when I left prices effectively doubled. further up the island, like Nanaimo or Comox valley or beyond is more affordable but they’ve also dealt with some massive inflation, it’s just less so comparatively.

for BC you’re most likely to find affordability in the interior or the north, tho wrt the southern interior Kelowna is quickly catching up to Victoria, and wrt the north if you’re already in Edmonton i don’t see why you’d move to Edmonton jr

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

it helps the humor value to know that athenian brothels were nationalized legalized and highly regulated

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

there’s plenty of beautiful places that are doable but there’s tradeoffs. I remember working with a woman who lived on one of the smaller islands off Vancouver island. with ferries and transit it took her 3 hours one way to get to work

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

OldAlias posted:

best of luck. from when I first lived in Victoria to when I left prices effectively doubled. further up the island, like Nanaimo or Comox valley or beyond is more affordable but they’ve also dealt with some massive inflation, it’s just less so comparatively.

for BC you’re most likely to find affordability in the interior or the north, tho wrt the southern interior Kelowna is quickly catching up to Victoria, and wrt the north if you’re already in Edmonton i don’t see why you’d move to Edmonton jr

I’ll be dead before I move to the BC interior; the banjos are even louder than they are here…

we’re looking around Nanaimo, cause Victoria is laughably priced. sadly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

madmatt112 posted:

also: delicious bars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

madmatt112 posted:

Nice. i hear they have some pretty good bars there

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

madmatt112 posted:

and here me and wife are trying to imagine a move to the Island from Edmonton and all we see is $$$$$$

yup. Doesn't really matter where on the island unless you move to Port Hardy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

i think the trick for non-north-americans is avoiding contracting firms that skim all the money off. It can be hard to find a company willing to directly hire someone overseas because of all the legal hassles.

we hire foreigners for remote work directly because we can skim all the money off ourselves and pay them like 1/6th our already too low salaries

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

and they all got their financing a couple years ago when audi came on their knees with a 1.2% rate

so they'll either have to chuck even more at the note next car, or downgrade, and well, lol

i still lol when i think about the ford dealership initially offering me something insane like 7% in the middle of the pandemic and when i scoffed they 'went in the back to check' and came back with loving 0%

i straight up told them i'd just pay for it outright with cash when they offered 7% so i have no idea why they turned around and offered me free money instead of just letting me pay for it. idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i still lol when i think about the ford dealership initially offering me something insane like 7% in the middle of the pandemic and when i scoffed they 'went in the back to check' and came back with loving 0%

i straight up told them i'd just pay for it outright with cash when they offered 7% so i have no idea why they turned around and offered me free money instead of just letting me pay for it. idk

the dealership gets money for originating any loans, even 0%. the manufacturer just directly pays the dealer there (and “buys down” the interest rate their bank would’ve preferred to grant)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

this sounds doable, but setting up the entity and then making sure the accounting and taxes is all done correctly is probably a major headache. not to mention that you would have to find a us based company willing to bring you on and not firing you at the drop of a hat, which seems to be the fate of pandemic era remote workers even before the big layoffs started.

last year when i was looking for remote gigs i found almost nothing worthwhile. but then i was not desperate and probably i was searching for the wrong thing anyway

e: to be fair my current location in france has a pretty nice pto system and i only go to the office 2 days a week so while it is not figgieland, it is fine for now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our pay for offshore permanent staff is apparently so low that the majority of contract providers can't actually compete which is why we get the absolute dregs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

people would walk literally across the street (literally!) to a competitor and get massive pay hikes and the closest thing to a strategy for this was "idk hope that the bubble pops and they come crawling back"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

people would walk literally across the street (literally!) to a competitor and get massive pay hikes and the closest thing to a strategy for this was "idk hope that the bubble pops and they come crawling back"

payin off yet?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

our pay for offshore permanent staff is apparently so low that the majority of contract providers can't actually compete which is why we get the absolute dregs

so in India the notice period seemed to be 90 or 180 days, so you’d make an offer, the candidate would accept, then spend the last 30 days of their notice period marketing themselves as ‘available at short notice’ to other employers to try to get a better offer. once you understood this as an employer it was fine because you’d just budget for a pay adjustment before they started but it’s a surprise the first time. we were hiring for competitive roles so it was fine. good hustle, gotta respect it.

being a low paying employer in that market would not be fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OldAlias posted:

there’s plenty of beautiful places that are doable but there’s tradeoffs. I remember working with a woman who lived on one of the smaller islands off Vancouver island. with ferries and transit it took her 3 hours one way to get to work

gently caress that unless i only have to go in like once a month.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

indeed announced that they are going to lay off 15% of their workforce, or about 2200 people

how does indeed, a job listing website, have 15000 people working for them?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bureaucracies dont grow because of the need for things to be done, they can always make up more stuff to do

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

The_Franz posted:

10,000 of them are representatives for individual podcast ad sales

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

indeed announced that they are going to lay off 15% of their workforce, or about 2200 people

you see if 1 salesperson brings in 1mil in revenue then 1000 will bring in $1bil!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

OldAlias posted:

pls, Saskatoon is Edmonton Jr - if anything Kelowna is Merritt Sr

it is inevitable that every edmontonian eventually goes to saskatoon and is all this is like my town but back in the '80s, wow yall still got a Smitty's on every corner and everything

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 23, 2023

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The_Franz posted:

indeed :hmmyes:

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 23, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The_Franz posted:

a not small number of that is b2b sales

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

pls, Saskatoon is Edmonton Jr - if anything Kelowna is Merritt Sr

it is inevitable that every edmontonian eventually goes to saskatoon and is all this is like my town but back in the '80s, wow yall still got a Smitty's on every corner and everything

I meant Prince George as Edmonton jr, I just didn’t name it as such. I’ve never been to Saskatoon, when I moved here I ended up passing through Regina instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

OldAlias posted:

I meant Prince George as Edmonton jr, I just didn’t name it as such. I’ve never been to Saskatoon, when I moved here I ended up passing through Regina instead
oh heh that makes more sense