Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i left computer touching to become a railroad conductor in my early 20s. paid for and attended the requisite three months of education and got an offer from csx before saying gently caress that and running back to computering. took a year off a while back to work on pinball machines and tend bar, then another during the pandemic to work on pinball machines and contemplate the end of the world. it's harder and harder each time to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Computering is lucrative, "easy," and absolutely soul crushing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

When you become a railroad conductor do they give you one of the hats?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

When you become a railroad conductor do they give you one of the hats?

nah, csx is freight, so it's hard hats for most, but conductors (and engineers) are some of the only employees who can get away without wearing a hat outside.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i know someone that was a subway conductor. he said its the easiest job hes ever done and made like $90k literally just pushing a few buttons and announcing stops

i know it's probably not that easy but sometimes i think about it lol

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have been considering land survey.

Got some of the intro course book pdfs and everything.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

what really freaked me out in the end with csx was one of the old timers coming in to talk about killing people with trains. i was a bit disturbed by the insistence that it wasn't a matter of if you'd hit and kill someone, but when, how many, and that you hope it won't be a kid. i was super disturbed by the advice on dealing with the cops in such a situation that they immediately followed up with -- basically don't get off the train and don't interact with the local police until the railroad's own police force has arrived.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

matti posted:

younger matti had a dreams of becoming a traditional painter

younger rotor as well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well, printmaking. I liked lithography a lot.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i wonder how many folks are unaware that railroad companies have their own police forces with jurisdiction anywhere on railroad property throughout the country

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
same as the postal cops for basically the same reason

theres a lotta quotidian but totally cross jurisdiction poo poo but also serious fuckin interdiction and specialized crap the normal fbi doesnt know

also for similar reasons way less deranged and racist than local or other federal cops. if you were to get rid of all the cops and replace them all you could do worse than modelling em on postal and railway cops

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah poo poo i was talkin about the actual public agencies like amtrak cops or bart cops

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
most railway cops are basically a private police force though? like not all of them are amtrak police

e: lol yeah. not such a good idea imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah the private company police are little shits like other private police and basically all other cops

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

amtrak and the postal police at least feel a little more ok in that both amtrak and the post office are semi-privatized parts of the government. csx pd and bnsf pd just report back up the chain to shareholders and are deputized by their local law enforcement (though federal rules then extend their jurisdiction to any state with railroad property)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk i dont really see how private police are any different than public police in practice

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

idk i dont really see how private police are any different than public police in practice

quarter in the revolver, shoot the mailbox, won't step on sidewalks, etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

quarter in the revolver, shoot the mailbox, won't step on sidewalks, etc

idgi

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

private police can have overt nazi references right on their car, public police have to be slightly more covert

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department a classic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh right lol i forgot

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i was a bit disturbed by the insistence that it wasn't a matter of if you'd hit and kill someone, but when, how many, and that you hope it won't be a kid.

the thing about train driving is that you have basically no control over whether today is the day an idiot decides to race you over a level crossing, and you definitely have no ability to stop in time if they lose

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
cops seem to be marginally less terrible when their agency has some specific job to do that requires specialized knowledge rather than just generically copping around

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ah poo poo i was talkin about the actual public agencies like amtrak cops or bart cops

bart cops are absolute trash tier cops. they only hire people who are rejected by all the other local agencies for being too useless. source: my cousin flirted with being a cop in the area (he did not, thankfully)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my understanding is it was cops rejected for not bein fash enough

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

I still didn't envy the architects, I'd walk by their studio every day for my 8am classes and it was always already packed with people who look like they've been working for hours
my university was very very strict about getting out in four years - except for the architecture majors, who got five years to finish their bachelors, their curriculum was so enormous

the architecture school building was always fully lit and busy 24/7. youd be stumbling home drunk from a party at 2am on a saturday and walk past it and youd see people inside working on their projects

that was some hardcore schooling

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PokeJoe posted:

if you can program you can do game dev. there's really nothing all that special about it that it requires a different "school" or whatever

I thought the schools were for game design?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Have you ever played a game?

In all seriousness I've had a bunch of coworkers who went to these kinds of schools and they've all universally been reviewed as negative experiences. If you want to get into game dev or design, just make some games. I've made like 6 mobile games for fun. There's not a lot of work out there for ideas guys who don't know how to actually use any software and more and more the programming and design are done in the same pseudo-environment (unity, unreal, etc)

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 23, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856_PxgeTGA

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jabor posted:

the thing about train driving is that you have basically no control over whether today is the day an idiot decides to race you over a level crossing, and you definitely have no ability to stop in time if they lose

maybe im a psychopath but i dont think being a conductor and hitting / killing someone would affect me, at least as long as i dont see the aftermath. your not really "driving" the train and you, as said, have less than no control over it or the people.

Being a first responder tho, no loving thanks. My buddy works in the ER and he says hes just completely desensitized to it and views people as meat if he doesn't know them personally.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

maybe im a psychopath but i dont think being a conductor and hitting / killing someone would affect me, at least as long as i dont see the aftermath. your not really "driving" the train and you, as said, have less than no control over it or the people.

being a conductor is weird. you're responsible for the safe operation of the train and despite being paid less, you're sort of the engineers 'boss'. your side of the train cab has pretty much one control for the train -- a big red button that throws the train into emergency and dumps the brake lines, potentially derailing the train.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AnoHito posted:

it might be a good idea to make your visa sponsoring program more clear when you ask, so that candidates feel more comfortable revealing their status.

every time I see that box "are you legally able to work in the US" I know it's just a box telling me "you will not be considered"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

rotor posted:

well, printmaking. I liked lithography a lot.

you can go to like a blick and pick up some lino cut, paper, and printing ink and have some fun. i know it's not litho, but lino is very doable at home. just use a rolling pin to transfer the ink. i think you can do litho too. ceramicists make their own silks screens for screen print transfers for decorations. it's all on youtube

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2023

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

4lokos basilisk posted:

i feel like if someone is in a situation where they are about to lose the right to stay in the country due to not having a job, you should not expect them to act rationally or be forthcoming at all. they are just attempting to not have their life hosed over by some immigration bullshit.

so what, they chose the wrong game theory move in this situation, but if they are a qualified candidate you should focus on that part

i'm not sure what's unclear about the idea that their actions made it so that we couldn't legally hire them. we still wanted to hire the person who waited too long to tell us that they needed a visa sponsorship! we just couldn't because you have to submit that paperwork before they've overstayed their visa. for a while you could get away with backdating a job offer, but they've cracked down on that. not saying anything when a proposed interview schedule extends past your hard deadline is the exact opposite of trying to not have your life hosed over by immigration bullshit.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

i'm not sure what's unclear about the idea that their actions made it so that we couldn't legally hire them. we still wanted to hire the person who waited too long to tell us that they needed a visa sponsorship! we just couldn't because you have to submit that paperwork before they've overstayed their visa. for a while you could get away with backdating a job offer, but they've cracked down on that. not saying anything when a proposed interview schedule extends past your hard deadline is the exact opposite of trying to not have your life hosed over by immigration bullshit.

it was not clear to me reading the original post that the applicant had already overstayed their visa. so the impression i got was that for some ??? reason instead of helping the person with the visa situation, the company decided to bail on them

i - assuming this is in the united states - think the misunderstanding is due to me having personal experience with completely different immigration systems, which may be more lenient in this kind of situations.

like, for example, i would have assumed that the hiring company can solve this problem by treating the situation as if they hired the person from their country of origin, going through all the necessary bureaucracy and following the rules. in that case it would be all above board: the applicant correctly left the country and then found a new job while back in their home country. obviously i am not an immigration law knower, but i feel like there ought to be a legal process where someone whose visa has expired can get a new visa if they find a company to hire them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

4lokos basilisk posted:

it was not clear to me reading the original post that the applicant had already overstayed their visa. so the impression i got was that for some ??? reason instead of helping the person with the visa situation, the company decided to bail on them

i - assuming this is in the united states - think the misunderstanding is due to me having personal experience with completely different immigration systems, which may be more lenient in this kind of situations.

like, for example, i would have assumed that the hiring company can solve this problem by treating the situation as if they hired the person from their country of origin, going through all the necessary bureaucracy and following the rules. in that case it would be all above board: the applicant correctly left the country and then found a new job while back in their home country. obviously i am not an immigration law knower, but i feel like there ought to be a legal process where someone whose visa has expired can get a new visa if they find a company to hire them

they can do that but then they start at square 1 on the h1b lottery

basically on an h1b once you lose 1 job if you do not get the next job and sponsorship within the timeframe then you have to leave and start all over again. that also goes kicks you out of the line for a green card. once eligible to apply the line for Indians and Chinese nationals was over a decade last I checked.

there was a long form blog post from an Indian in tech that I think was posted somewhere in here? it was something like they came on a student visa in like 2004 for undergrad and then detailed all the bouncing around on visas with grad schools and tech companies. became eligible to get in line for a green card in like 2011and got in line. eventually he married an Aussie just before covid. due to the peculiarities of US immigration law that immediately made both of them eligible for green cards due to his time in country and Australia not meeting its quota

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 23, 2023

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

they can do that but then they start at square 1 on the h1b lottery

basically on an h1b once you lose 1 job if you do not get the next job and sponsorship within the timeframe then you have to leave and start all over again. that also goes kicks you out of the line for a green card. once eligible to apply the line for Indians and Chinese nationals was over a decade last I checked.

I there was a long form blog post from an Indian in tech that I think was posted somewhere in here? it was something like they came on a student visa in like 2004 for undergrad and then detailed all the bouncing around on visas with grad schools and tech companies. became eligible to get in line for a green card in like 2011and got in line. eventually he married an Aussie just before covid. due to the peculiarities of US immigration law that immediately made both of them eligible for green cards due to his time in country and Australia not meeting its quota

jfc what a messed up system. i knew it was messed up but i had forgotten all i read about this in the past. tbh i dont know what the situation looks like for any non-eu resident that works here either.

again if i was in the situation where i am about to get hosed over by the system to the point where i may get straight up deported, i am not sure if i could act rationally and be forthcoming about my immigration status. there may not be a clear cut winning move in this hosed up game of human lives that seems like it has been deliberately set up to terrorize people in order to extract their labor for the cheapest price

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
An H1B is not labor at its cheapest, just more affordable than trained and experienced American employees who it is used against in a lot of cases.

Edit: this is not an endorsement of either side of the system. It exploits people looking to immigrate and is wielded against US citizens in a hostile manner. I live near and work with lots of people on H1-Bs and I think denying them an easy path to citizenship is stupid.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 23, 2023

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i did the H1B dance myself, it was shall we say a somewhat stressful time

also btw the intra-company transfer trick doesn't really "work", that gets you an L1 visa and you can't transfer it to another employer so you're completely at their mercy for being sponsored for a green card. sure hope you don't mind pinning all your hopes on keeping one job for 5ish years.

us immigration is some loving bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

us immigration is some loving bullshit

man you wanna talk about some fuckin bullshit try french immigration