Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kntfkr posted:

candeez nutz

Yes they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

We have candy opinions.

I don't have candy opinions, I have deeply held candy convictions.

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

A Fancy Hat posted:

You're not allowed to use that dye in cosmetics because of the risk of cancer so it's probably a good idea not to ingest it, either.

Instead it's colouring from pretty bugs. Put these on your lip and you will beguile many a man.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don't have candy opinions, I have deeply held candy convictions.

I have candy confections

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

itry posted:

I have candy confections

Are you accepting visitors?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Are you accepting visitors?

No, but I accept tribute.

I hoard them like a dragon.

that g ova there posted:

Instead it's colouring from pretty bugs. Put these on your lip and you will beguile many a man.

I prefer musky secretions myself.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Peggy Edson posted:

I agree about normal whoppers but the Robin Eggs they put out for Easter have a candy coating and are pretty drat good

looks like mini eggs but bad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Werther's are the worst candy but skittles easily take up 2nd place

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Colonel Cancer posted:

aww hell no

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
skittles are good. they haze zero malted milk in them

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

zedprime posted:

To bring anything to market you probably have some sort of animal tests on any novel or new material to classify how much cancer something is going to give you. It's a question of how much cancer at what sort of dose for nearly anything that can make it inside your body. We're a big bag of DNA just waiting to go wrong.

Because the California law says any increased chance of cancer is cancer causing and because most things cause cancer if they get inside you, we get the joke that everything in California needs labeled with the sticker. There's a subset of the joke for real hazcom aficionados that you shouldn't buy anything without a California cancer sticker because it means the the manufacturer willfully doesn't know what the thing is made out of so the contents can't be known to cause cancer.
Some stuff hasn't been tested by the FDA because it was classified as "GRAS" or generally recognized as safe a long time ago.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've been eating a shitload of Skittles lately am I gonna die

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's a lot of lovely candy. Something as banal as a stale toffee werther's original can't be the worst, surely.

kntfkr posted:

skittles are good. they haze zero malted milk in them

Possibly the only good thing that can be said about them.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Peggy Edson posted:

Yes

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Peggy Edson posted:

Yes. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Try to make the most of the time you have left. By posting.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Tropical and sour skittles are pretty good and on their own justify the existence of the original sub par candy

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

Peggy Edson posted:

Know the saying "The only thing guaranteed by life is taxes and death-causing cancer from the jam-packed potent red flavour"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Konar posted:

Tropical and sour skittles are pretty good and on their own justify the existence of the original sub par candy

I like Zours.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Yes. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Try to make the most of the time you have left. By posting.

:hai:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I was going to post about how this sure is a thing to care about but then I remembered I posted about Bert Kreischer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dixville posted:

Some stuff hasn't been tested by the FDA because it was classified as "GRAS" or generally recognized as safe a long time ago.
GRAS should be considered unrelated to prop 65. To it's credit or discredit, it considers dosage as typically used by the industry compared to reports of toxicity etc. so that things that unequivocally cause cancer by the prop 65 definition end up on the list.

Additionally California builds it's list out of any study remotely rigorous, not just by manufacturer or regulatory programs.

There's several GRAS ingredients that are outright on the prop 65 list. Easiest to find by googling being preservatives BHA and BHT.

Joke remains if you're looking at a consumer good (food, durable, clothing etc.) and can't make it give a rat cancer, you're not trying hard enough.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Skittles are cool for that 4 - 6 year period you feel bad and your kidneys are dying but don't think its doctor worthy and there's no nerves on the internal organs so if you think they hurt that's bad.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress your Skittles

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress your Skittles

I am way ahead of you

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIGZSXUD1GM

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Dixville posted:

Brominated Vegetable Oil

radical oil, bro!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I bought some fingerless gloves (yes, because I am cool) from Amazon and they came with one of those California style warnings for the presence of diisonyl pthalate (DINP), a plasticizer, that is in like every drat thing. Maybe it was because I was super high but I went down a rabbit hole reading studies and Wikipedia and stuff and drat that poo poo will gently caress you up, and gently caress your babies up, and your ability to procreate. Especially if you are a zebrafish.

It is on like every drat plastic item and it's illegal throughout Europe. But because in America we are extra strong and resilient and against Wokeness, we scoff. If we let the regulators win, then Chinamen will run roughshod all over America's supple frame. "Counter-terrorists win!"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I bought some fingerless gloves (yes, because I am cool) from Amazon and they came with one of those California style warnings for the presence of diisonyl pthalate (DINP), a plasticizer, that is in like every drat thing. Maybe it was because I was super high but I went down a rabbit hole reading studies and Wikipedia and stuff and drat that poo poo will gently caress you up, and gently caress your babies up, and your ability to procreate. Especially if you are a zebrafish.

It is on like every drat plastic item and it's illegal throughout Europe. But because in America we are extra strong and resilient and against Wokeness, we scoff. If we let the regulators win, then Chinamen will run roughshod all over America's supple frame. "Counter-terrorists win!"

Yeah but there’s also the same warning on firewood. So it’s kind of like a balance between FIRE BAD and A Brave New World, and the whole is state is really just a sadbrains slough that’s just going to break off into the ocean and be sublimated by a merciful earth spirit anyways and people will rediscover it’s beauty in 12 billion years when they go as far in one direction as they can, by land or sea, and say WOW A FUCKIN BEACH and start the whole shitup again. :downs:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

never heard of candy corn?

and thats just in terms of american candies. there are some really nasty candies from all over the world.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Earwicker posted:

never heard of candy corn?

and thats just in terms of american candies. there are some really nasty candies from all over the world.

In some parts of the world they eat chunks of licorice encrusted with smelling salts. Gross.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If they try to take my Propyl Paraben away from me I'm packing all my poo poo and moving to Texas like Joe Rogan.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

https://youtu.be/_Re6pZri8Gw

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they should outlaw mikes and ikes instead

wait i was thinking of gooden plenty

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

that guy turned his dick into skittles

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Colonel Cancer posted:

Circus peanuts though

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
california says skedaddle to skittles

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just seems like another big flex from a bunch of extremely stupid people trying to appear smart on some science poo poo. Everything is just random guesses by loving deadbrain idiots and people who are placated by like a 3% return rate of those guesses vaguely resembling some portion of the truth or something that an intelligent person who doesn’t live here said sometime.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they should outlaw your posting op

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Just seems like another big flex from a bunch of extremely stupid people trying to appear smart on some science poo poo. Everything is just random guesses by loving deadbrain idiots and people who are placated by like a 3% return rate of those guesses vaguely resembling some portion of the truth or something that an intelligent person who doesn’t live here said sometime.

California started charging everyone 10 cents per (supposedly reusable) plastic or paper bag you get at a store shortly after i moved here. Supposed to cut back on waste but it seems like everyone just pays for the bags instead of bringing reusable ones. I guess according to the "californians against waste" if you use them 8 times they have a lower carbon footprint than the thinner bags but most people don't seem to do that, I'm pretty sure most people don't recycle them either because the recycling receptacle at the stores never has anything in it except trash people threw in by mistake. So basically it's just creating thicker bulkier trash. California has passed some pretty dumb laws but on the plus side you can still get a safe abortion and smoke weed and take your kids to a drag show (maybe even all at the same time!) so in conclusion, California is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s like this, imagine the dumbest person on Baywatch, then LOWER your standards, then chug like 5 bottles of airline booze and pop an ambien (but fight it off). Now you are ready to have a conversation with a Californian.

And I actually don’t know if that would work because I haven’t had an intelligent conversation with anybody here in the the 18 years I’ve been here.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2023