Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Cause I sure did.
I will say first and foremost this is a really stupid and dangerous thing to do. A quick rain can fill those things shortly and drown you. But, stupid teenager stuff etc.

A friend went down with some other kids first, and immediately had to tell us how cool it was. Keep in mind these were storm drains, not sewers, and were surprisingly clean and dry; when it wasn't raining. So we planned our first excursion. Two flashlights each, some snacks, water, and weed. Also bolt cutters, hacksaws, any other tools we could think of.

The best one had a service entrance in a city park. It was like a manhole cover but a grate, and seriously easy to lift out of the way. Wasn't secured at all. Four teens hopped in, pulled the grate back into place and we were on our way.

That one was about 40 minutes to travel through. 4-5' pipe diameter so it was easy enough to crouch and walk all hunched over. Halfway through there was a junction point where another drain came in. This was great because it was essentially a big room, we could all sit, smoke weed and chill. Since it was two drains joined together the outgoing pipe was even bigger, so a lot less crouching.

It finally dumps you half way across town. Again an unsecured exit through a metal fence. We're in a big gully that runs about a mile between two neighborhoods, but we just hopped some fences, ran through backyards and got on the town streets. Walked back on the surface to the park where we had a car.

We did that run at least 3 times, sometimes with different people. There were a lot of 10-15 minute runs we found, but that one was always the best.

Feel free to share any stupendously stupid poo poo you did as a teen, especially if it involved storm drains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah when I hung out with graffiti and tagger people, getting into train areas without climbing a barb wired fence. Down a manhole and up into...
Though just throwing your jacket to cover the barbs and scramble over ripping jacket and hands was often the way out

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hrm. Not as a teen but yeah I have crawled through drains/sewer system while being pursued by unsavory characters.

As a teen -

At 16 I stole an airplane to go joy-flying to impress a girl. It didn't work.

Used a grappling hook and climbing equipment to scale the high school with some friends. We hung a big "Subway sandwiches" vinyl sign from the roof and smoked cigars and drank beer while up there. Did this again in my early twenties but it was the local university coliseum instead.

One night we toilet papered something like 8 houses all over town with a crew of 20 delinquents and hundreds of rolls of tp.

During Christmas season we'd steal Baby Jesuses from nativity scenes and leave ransom notes with ridiculous demands. This also carried over into my twenties but we'd take the baby Jesus to strip clubs and take pictures to leave with the ransom notes. We called ourselves The Baby Jesus Liberation Front, and even had a website https://www.bjlf.org

In middle school we tied a bunch of helium filled balloons to a teacher's cat hoping to make him fly but it didn't work.

Spelled out "gently caress YOU SHITHEAD" with Round-up or some other grass killer on a teacher's lawn.

Made explosives from oxygen and acetylene and other crap.

Lots of vandalism. Slashed tires, put sugar in gas tanks, egged many houses (and people).

So much other stuff. I grew up in the deep south in farm country and there was gently caress all for kids to do so we just terrorized the area.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i played video games and explored many rich worlds more interesting than a municipal sewer

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I did, but I died during a downpour one day. Them's the breaks :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We mostly climbed on top of highrises and did stupid poo poo. Still surprised nobody ever fell down a dozen stories.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

i played video games and explored many rich worlds more interesting than a municipal sewer

But also many many virtual municipal sewers as well

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I read It at a very young age op, so no, I didn’t.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

So you're one of my friends from high school. Good to see ya!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Konar posted:

But also many many virtual municipal sewers as well

true, a lot of formative memories from canalzone2

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ever find a tosheroon, OP?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
As a kid living in Colorado Springs, there was lots of great storm drains. Like our own private homes away from home for hangin out and eating candy

Cringe pretty hard nowadays imagining how a single rain while I’m crawling through one of those tunnels would’ve been the end of me.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
like, a coin? Had to google that one.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Gutcruncher posted:

As a kid living in Colorado Springs, there was lots of great storm drains. Like our own private homes away from home for hangin out and eating candy

Cringe pretty hard nowadays imagining how a single rain while I’m crawling through one of those tunnels would’ve been the end of me.

Yeah, we'd read the forecast and watch the skies before we'd drop in. Seriously deathly in 20 minutes if a storm breaks out unexpectedly.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJTqWrCLxo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Internetjack posted:

like, a coin? Had to google that one.

Mud caches that may or may not have interesting stuff in them, like small objects (rings, coins, w/e) or debris that get stuck in water traps and get covered in mud after a storm.

(According to Terry Pratchett)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Yes I did, storm drains rule as long as you live somewhere it basically never rains. Also snuck on top of a 12 story hotel a few times. Once we went back with overnight stuff to sleep up there and that was the one time we got caught.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

2 of my childhood friends drowned in a storm drain together, do not recommend.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
never found any cool treasures.

Found a dead rat once. It was half decayed and we smelled it before we found it. Idiot friend actually picks it up by its tail. Many shouts of "WTF?", "Put that down!", "what's wrong with you?"

I give him the benefit of the doubt in that he was seriously stoned, but there were admonitions about how we DO NOT pick up animal carcasses.

So no cool treasures really. Just good times. In the storm drain.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Cool to see other people interested in this. wrote graffiti for many years and spent countless hours doing pieces in them, but in my city it's basically just straight lines so we never traveled more than like a half mile to mile into them. dont feel good about the gasses that prob accumulate in them. underground tombs like that are comforting yet terrifying.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

satanic splash-back posted:

2 of my childhood friends drowned in a storm drain together, do not recommend.

That's horrible, and I freely admit it was stupid as heck. Not advocating, just we all did dumb things as kids; some worse than others.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Lots of bridges where I live, and we would frequently explore the undersides of them. Homeless people with whole set ups, mattresses, tables and poo poo in like the hardest loving places to get them. Get to know your city, shits crazy when you get down to the nitty gritty.

pertinent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uN69VugWvc

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It wasn't until you were of age, arrestable, you could be in real trouble, that they taught you about the goblins down there.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Internetjack posted:

That's horrible, and I freely admit it was stupid as heck. Not advocating, just we all did dumb things as kids; some worse than others.

I definitely played in them before that happened.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Craaawwwwwllllnnnggg through the drains
There’s poop stuck on my heeeeeeellll

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was around 12 i went to a summer camp at the local jewish community center and a couple times we went into this huge storm drain in a nearby creek behind the center that went for a ways under the suburbs. it was the counselors' idea. we walked maybe half a mile in that thing? seemed cool at the time, i guess technically it was dangerous but i grew up in an area where unexpected rain was incredibly rare during the summer, if it even happened at all. nonetheless the storm drain now has an iron gate on it and the days of young jews exploring it are over.

one semi-cool fact about this particular storm drain is that it is represented in the video game Watch Dogs 2! which is the only time ive seen something like that from my childhood modelled in a game (it's in the southwest corner of the map, near moffett field)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There was one that ran the length of the football field behind the high school. It connected two larger creeks so both ends were almost always at a trickle at least and when it rained it could be running six or eight inches deep for a few days. We never got far beyond the entrances on either end because even though we knew they had to be connected, we were idiot kids and hell there could have been a portal to another realm in there or some sort of creek tunnel lagoon monsters. poo poo I mean there really is no telling.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

not quite the same thing but my college campus had a whole network of "steam tunnels" running underneath that were used for heating. you could see where some of them were in winter because there would be these clear straights path of melted snow running through the middle of a field or in between two buildings. some people claimed you could get down in there and "explore" them and that there were some tunnels you could safely walk around in but the prospect of accidentally walking into a blast of steam kept me out.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
If it counts, I fell halfway into a disused storm drain when I was very little (maybe 8 years old or so) but was able to climb out with just a couple of scratches.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
We played ninja turtles of course we did. The sewer lids took a team effort to move so it was a neighborhood activity, we also caught salamanders where the big pipe drained out into the crick.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
no, because I wasn't 8 inches tall :confused:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I remember being taken crying by an older boy into the Age Chamber,

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I had one you could walk into in my neighborhood, but I never climbed down one. I've also felt bad because I've scared a few cats and raccoons down them while driving.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We had a creek that was basically a storm drain. once we walked the whole length until we made it to where it drains in the lake.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Earwicker posted:

not quite the same thing but my college campus had a whole network of "steam tunnels" running underneath that were used for heating. you could see where some of them were in winter because there would be these clear straights path of melted snow running through the middle of a field or in between two buildings. some people claimed you could get down in there and "explore" them and that there were some tunnels you could safely walk around in but the prospect of accidentally walking into a blast of steam kept me out.

hate to tell you this, but those were the rape tunnels

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

you could use them to escape from would-be rapists, is what I mean

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

cute story op. i explored a small one with a friend and his step brother when we were 12--after crawling for about five minutes through a pipe, we ended up under a storm drain in a nice neighborhood, where i remember a girl and her brother trying to communicate with us from above to below. didnt smoke any weed though, too cramped. also i was 12

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No, I was told they were where serial killers dumped their corpses when they were done molesting them. I didn’t want to find any violated corpses, and I have a kind of sensitive sense of smell anyway, so I would just play with fire for fun.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Cubone posted:

no, because I wasn't 8 inches tall :confused:

Yeah same lol. Also can't say I've ever been tempted to enter a sewer. It's full of poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Buce posted:

hate to tell you this, but those were the rape tunnels

Any tunnel can be a rape tunnel if you believe

I always thought it was gross when kids went into the sewers on tv

I was trying to look up examples but when i searched the only thing that came up was this story

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/03/23/kids-sewer-rescue-staten-island-911-call-audio-nr-cprog-vpx.cnn
Ugh they got stuck in a NEW YORK CITY sewer that has to be horribly disgusting