Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mystes posted:

not to say that any of those startups will succeed, but there probably are a handful of legitimately useful applications that we haven't discovered yet

this is a good point, but since those applications will (at present) be entirely at the mercy of a single external service provider like openAI, business-wise they're hosed

by the nature of the relationship they must hand all their training data, live usage, and "secret sauce" prompts directly to a company that is perfectly positioned to undercut them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

edit: said stuff, thought about it, deleted stuff

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

lmao, extremely on point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've been waiting for something like this to succinctly sum up how stupid this poo poo is, thank you

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah I support an AI rights movement - the Butlerian Jihad! :wal:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Spatial posted:

Yeah I support an AI rights movement - the Butlerian Jihad! :wal:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

those folks seem ripe for a huckster to pull a great and powerful oz/femputer schtick on them

one of my favorite jokes on lower decks is the people of beta iii turning back to landru (from "the return of the archons") because "he had some good ideas" lmao

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wow! it's just like spike johnson's "she"!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've been waiting for something like this to succinctly sum up how stupid this poo poo is, thank you

me, laughing at credulous Christians seeing the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese: lol loving morons
also me, imagining a mind behind a text box that produces semi-coherent paragraphs: wow! sentience!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

post hole digger posted:

Peter Thiel had this guy killed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

i drew a gun and then got scared that it might shoot me

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i've been working on the performance of my hypercard-like thing for a while, and i finally got it to the point where it's usable on my trusty and mostly chickenproof xo-4

the olpc project is tech from an ancient popped bubble, so still somewhat relevant to this thread

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Internet Janitor posted:

i've been working on the performance of my hypercard-like thing for a while, and i finally got it to the point where it's usable on my trusty and mostly chickenproof xo-4

the olpc project is tech from an ancient popped bubble, so still somewhat relevant to this thread

olpc intersects with so many bad things about the tech industry - the mit media lab, rockstar designers, open source zealots, harmful ngos, white colonializer brain, corporate reputation washing and so much more. it's like a perfect icon of everything we're doing wrong as a culture to try to "help" others

e: also: cool chicken

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good chicken

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how's the battery on that thing holding up?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Internet Janitor posted:

that’s awesome, definitely going to make some use of this

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

battery still gets easily 80% its rated capacity, and it can sit on a shelf powered off for months without discharging

the xo-4 is arm7-based and roughly twice as fast as the more common i586 xo-1, so i still have a way to go before decker runs acceptably there, too

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

olpc intersects with so many bad things about the tech industry - the mit media lab, rockstar designers, open source zealots, harmful ngos, white colonializer brain, corporate reputation washing and so much more. it's like a perfect icon of everything we're doing wrong as a culture to try to "help" others

e: also: cool chicken

I highly recommend Morgan G. Ames's book The Charisma Machine: The Life, Death, and Legacy of One Laptop per Child. It's an academic text, so it can be a bit of a dense read, but the concept of "charismatic technology" that Ames lays out is pretty much spot-on behind 99% of the entire tech bubble. From the book description:

quote:

Drawing on fifty years of history and a seven-month study of a model OLPC project in Paraguay, Ames reveals that the laptops were not only frustrating to use, easy to break, and hard to repair, they were designed for “technically precocious boys”—idealized younger versions of the developers themselves—rather than the children who were actually using them. The Charisma Machine offers a cautionary tale about the allure of technology hype and the problems that result when utopian dreams drive technology development.

The author spent months in the countries where OLPC programs were active, and has a really detailed account of exactly how the program was failing to actually help the people it was meant for.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every government they talked to was like "hey can we get cheap windows laptops instead so we can teach people useful and marketable skills?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

every government they talked to was like "hey can we get cheap windows laptops instead so we can teach people useful and marketable skills?"
the way every developing government was like "get this hobo poo poo out of here, we want to join the rest of the world on windows" was so gratifying

also the way the entire olpc project was made completely obsolescent by cheap android and ras pi devices was also lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

...and the nerdlingers in charge of the project were convinced that 1gb of storage was all that was needed, because they imagined that the kids using the laptops would be downloading lots of <1mb bits of code and hacking on open-source projects instead of doing what kids actually do and download games and media. According to Ames, even the teachers who were really positive on the OLPC program in their classrooms would usually have to spend a few hours at the beginning of class getting students to delete the videos on their computer so that they could re-install the programs that they were using for their lesson.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the choice to write the ui and most of the built-in applications in 2005-era python, on hardware designed entirely around low cost and energy efficiency, tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the garbage-fire software side of the project

an xo-1 can comfortably run directly from a small solar panel without a battery installed. it can cold-boot to a forth prompt in about a second. sugar is a bloated pile of crap that takes like 4 minutes to boot and is always painfully sluggish

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hmm, does credit suisse count for my toxx, you think? deutsche bank seems to be next

the difference is that those peeps actually did hedge duration / interest rate risk successfully, but some poo poo always comes up

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 24, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

...and the nerdlingers in charge of the project were convinced that 1gb of storage was all that was needed, because they imagined that the kids using the laptops would be downloading lots of <1mb bits of code and hacking on open-source projects instead of doing what kids actually do and download games and media. According to Ames, even the teachers who were really positive on the OLPC program in their classrooms would usually have to spend a few hours at the beginning of class getting students to delete the videos on their computer so that they could re-install the programs that they were using for their lesson.
it also only had one gig of storage because they were like already quadruple their original bill of materials because it had a combo of fully bespoke components and free junk companies were trying to dump that they had to work around

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

it can cold-boot to a forth prompt in about a second

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

abraham linksys posted:

hindenberg goin ham on block kinda fun https://hindenburgresearch.com/block/

lol at the video compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StjWk3Mj-M4

doubt this really goes anywhere since its not exactly shocking that a fintech company has inflated userbase numbers due to a massive fraudulent userbase, but funny details

stock did go down 15% so i guess it did more than nothing, feel like hindenberg's longer-term plays have not usually worked out so wonder if they immediately cashed out lol

Lotta mycrimes.mp3 going on here. Honestly kinda surprised to see Freddie Gibs in that mix. I would've assumed it would only be the younger guys dumb enough to do that kind of business electronically.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

so i looked into forth a while back and it actually seems pretty cool

like 'cool for a computer language' cool, not actually cool, you know.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's wild how few people with actual theory of mind knowledge work in the AI space.

(I know they're there but they don't generate fun headlines)

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Just a Moron posted:

Lotta mycrimes.mp3 going on here. Honestly kinda surprised to see Freddie Gibs in that mix. I would've assumed it would only be the younger guys dumb enough to do that kind of business electronically.

all the dudes talking about putting a hit on someone through cash app are posturing. but people totally sell drugs over cash app, cause none of your customers carry actual cash.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

so i looked into forth a while back and it actually seems pretty cool

like 'cool for a computer language' cool, not actually cool, you know.
good enough for open firmware, good enough for you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Just a Moron posted:

It's wild how few people with actual theory of mind knowledge work in the AI space.

(I know they're there but they don't generate fun headlines)

gpts are the ultimate apotheosis of frank jelineks note that "every time i fire a linguist, my speech recognizer gets better". or suttons bitter lesson

i dont think non-backpropagation linguistics survives to 2030

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 24, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

aardvaard posted:

all the dudes talking about putting a hit on someone through cash app are posturing. but people totally sell drugs over cash app, cause none of your customers carry actual cash.

I figured as much about the violent crime stuff, but regularly doing drug transactions on an electronic seems loving wild to me. How does that not come back to bite people in the rear end? I guess the panopticon in my head is more competent or more petty than the one in real life.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Just a Moron posted:

I figured as much about the violent crime stuff, but regularly doing drug transactions on an electronic seems loving wild to me. How does that not come back to bite people in the rear end? I guess the panopticon in my head is more competent or more petty than the one in real life.

just pay your loving taxes, they don't care about the rest

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Though I guess having a bunch of cash on hand is going to be more conspicuous to IRL cops, but once you get caught can't an investigator pull all that data?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jfc, this is what we're teaching kids these days?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

forth is a stack-oriented language, you wouldn't want to learn it from someone who isn't stacked would you?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

forth is a stack-oriented language, you wouldn't want to learn it from someone who isn't stacked would you?

oh god no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
how come the lady has huge nips but the guy doesn't have any at all

did they fall off

is that why hes making that face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

how come the lady has huge nips but the guy doesn't have any at all

did they fall off