Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I've come across a few of these people and it always mystifies me

Get hired at a place that's more or less chill, lovely McJob people put in good enough work to keep the place running but don't kill themselves either. This guy/girl rolls up new and starts absolutely busting rear end going as quickly as possible every day, working circles around everyone else. given that it's a stupid minimum wage/dead end type gig management doesn't give a poo poo and they don't get a raise or promotion for this. Instead of toning down their work ethic to everyone else's level or quitting they get more and more resentful of their coworkers and not management, ranting about how they work harder than everyone else.

wtf is their deal? and this isn't a boomer thing either i've seen it in zoomers for christsake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
they probaBABLY HAVE SOMETHIGN TO HIDE THATS WHY THEY ARE ACTING LIKE THAT

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
I knew one guy kinda like that and he wound up moving to Florida, pretty sure he's dead of covid by now.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Some folks are just built that way, I used to know someone like that in my last job that flamed out and quit after it turned out working harder did not, in fact, give them better pay or benefits

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

zone posted:

Some folks are just built that way, I used to know someone like that in my last job that flamed out and quit after it turned out working harder did not, in fact, give them better pay or benefits

I kind of get it to a point but why be mad at the people not working as hard because they've figured this out instead of the people in charge who are openly exploiting you and being dicks

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

pencilhands posted:

Get hired at a place that's more or less chill, lovely McJob people put in good enough work to keep the place running but don't kill themselves either. This guy/girl rolls up new and starts absolutely busting rear end going as quickly as possible every day, working circles around everyone else. given that it's a stupid minimum wage/dead end type gig management doesn't give a poo poo and they don't get a raise or promotion for this. Instead of toning down their work ethic to everyone else's level or quitting they get more and more resentful of their coworkers and not management, ranting about how they work harder than everyone else.

wtf is their deal? and this isn't a boomer thing either i've seen it in zoomers for christsake.

Gotta be the best. Gotta go fast. Get left in the dust, scrub

zone
Dec 6, 2016

pencilhands posted:

I kind of get it to a point but why be mad at the people not working as hard because they've figured this out instead of the people in charge who are openly exploiting you and being dicks

Judging people by your own standards and/or principles makes them that way, kinda. Sometimes you gotta get that everyone's built different and you can't expect all of em to meet your standards or think the same as you do. It just do be like that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

wow only 3 more years of working hard like an idiot and I could be assistant manager, what a deal

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Some guys are born wired to jizz in their pants every time the master cracks a whip. In the right dom/sub scenario the dopamine flows in so fast that eventually they short circuit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was that person at a job once but it's because it was the most braindead effortless job ever and even working at a pace where I felt like I was constantly on the verge of getting fired for spending 80% of my time staring at the wall, I completed 75% of the workload of my 3 person team, and the other 25% of the workload got done incorrectly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

But actually I ranted about how much management sucked for not just firing the other 2 guys and tripling my pay.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Nooner posted:

they probaBABLY HAVE SOMETHIGN TO HIDE THATS WHY THEY ARE ACTING LIKE THAT

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my general rule is not to get upset about anything my fellow workers do and direct all of my scrutiny toward the executives

maybe if i had any stake or ownership in the performance of the company i'd care more about how the low level employees perform

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The only thing to care about is being better than your coworkers during annual reviews. Unfortunately it's inevitable somebody will show up who is better than you, so just help and support them and weigh your options when you see your raise.

Typically I rate a gig on 3 factors: good team, good boss, and good type of work. I hope for at least 2 of those
And good money can replace 1.

After that, ignore everybody and just do the needful.

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
sorry ur job at the dollar store sux, dollar store wizard master

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

sorry ur job at the dollar store sux, dollar store wizard master

im a diesel mechanic

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

im a diesel mechanic

I'm curious because this concept was foreign to me for a long time. Are you paid hourly? Do you get annual reviews?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Smugworth posted:

I'm curious because this concept was foreign to me for a long time. Are you paid hourly? Do you get annual reviews?

yes and no

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pencilhands posted:

Shouldn't you be mad at the management for hiring such a shithead instead of being upset at the try hard poo poo head?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Shouldn't you be mad at the management for hiring such a shithead instead of being upset at the try hard poo poo head?

i'm not mad at them. just wondering why they are the way they are.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Some people take pride in their work.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If you just need to vent and don't need internet advice, just disregard this.

For context, I worked in kitchens for a decade, hourly, as a shift manager+line cook. And a lot of things that are standard in salaried positions I've now learned were totally foreign/unknown to me as an hourly employee.

If you'd like to make more money, you should ask your manager, in whatever way makes sense for your job, how you can gain/crosstrain more skills. Then, ask annually at least to review the progress you've made. I don't know what's involved in being a diesel mechanic but I bet there's lots of stuff that's learned on the job and valuable. Keyword valuable, I never knew what my own worth was in kitchens. The best way to get a raise is get a competing offer from another company and go there, tho sometimes you can parley that into a raise with your current employer, caveat emptor.

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Beartaco posted:

Some people take pride in their work.

this, also I've absolutely had coworkers tell me that my work ethic makes them look bad and they resent me for it and it's a real salty look op

i was told that while i was making life-saving drugs in a cleanroom on 7 cameras at any given time

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

pencilhands posted:

My old boss was a machine for working. Late hours, over productive, worked weekends.

Since he left they've been through about seven other managers because the expectations for the job are through the roof and no one normal is going to produce the same amount of work or even come close. When the big boss discussed me taking over the role a flat out said I’d never do as much work as him because a lot of it really didn’t matter, the previous manager did piss all and the end result was effectively the same.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah there was this guy at the dicksucking factory and he was like, idk man somehow way too enthusiastic. I mean he would show up early, practice on the break room model dildos, always brag about finishing people off first but then he would go on break and eat rear end. Sometimes he would inject Novocain in his tongue and work late, and he was always looking through the client roster, calling people just to “hang out after work” and poo poo, like undercutting people. Anyways he got limp lip and had to quit. Enthusiasm doesn’t equal skill buddy. :shrug:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Get paid by the job and not by the hour. Then your check is actually based on effort.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

suck his/her dick

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The thing about any scam (which capitalism is) that you should remember is there's no bullshit slogan so dumb absolutely nobody will buy it.
Popular media often presents the job market as a meritocracy where the only limit is your ability to psych yourself to work like a mule on amphetamine, some people buy it hook line and sinker.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I mean people are like this is school too going above and beyond when they don't have to, to try to impress people or suck up to the teacher. They probably think "all their hard work" will pay off one day, some day soon someone will recognize them for their hard work. Any day now. It's coming soon. Everyone will line up and take turns fellating them for an entire shift and then they will be made ceo of the company. Take that lazy good for nothing coworkers!!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pencilhands posted:

Has this conversation been had with your co worker?

Sometimes people don't realize stuff unless it is made very clear and direct. Also sometimes people think they are being clear and direct and other people have no idea what's going on.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
She left her underwear at home. I noticed this while I saw her reaching for stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was that person at a job once but it's because it was the most braindead effortless job ever and even working at a pace where I felt like I was constantly on the verge of getting fired for spending 80% of my time staring at the wall, I completed 75% of the workload of my 3 person team, and the other 25% of the workload got done incorrectly.

Bad Purchase posted:

my general rule is not to get upset about anything my fellow workers do and direct all of my scrutiny toward the executives

I used to be a mix of these two, I'd just go at my own pace and that usually ended up being a fair bit beyond the expected workplace KPI. Everyone else would go at their own pace and IDGAF what that might be, not my problem. Quite often they'd try to push me into management positions and I'd refuse because that meant I'd have to start giving a gently caress about other people's output and I sure wasn't interested in doing that at all.

In one particularly lovely data entry job the manager was always micromanaging everyone and hassling me in particular about turning up a few minutes late here and there but during one of my reviews he let slip that my KPI was 120% and the rest of the office was under 100%, so not only was I the only one meeting targets but in every 5 day work week I was doing 6 days worth of work. Soon after he tried to write me up for turning up 5 minutes late and I gave my two week notice on the spot. In retrospect I guess he hated me in particular because I was meeting the targets so easily which really highlighted how badly he was mismanaging the rest of the team, lol

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
There's definitely no reason to kill yourself by working hard for employers that won't recognise you, in a job that won't reward you but having a positive attitude to work is quite important. At very least, having some direction and purpose might help you get out of a 'lovely mcjob'.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

OP, he was working hard to get a large salary bonus at year end. What’s confusing about that?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

No but I work with the guy with one concern and one concern only and that concern is doing everything fast. Doesn't matter if they do it completely wrong or only partial completion, doesn't matter if they leave a mess of destruction and discarded materials and tools behind them for someone else to pick up. As long as they do it fast they've done it good enough!

They've been told to slow the gently caress down and make sure they do things correctly, and that eventually by doing things correctly the speed of the process will take care of itself many, many times, not listened and hosed up plenty of customer orders this way and still have a job here because I don't know why.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lou Reed & John Cale - Work
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bdl5fJ-c_lA&

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
*Ack* I may be a pervert. There is more to the story.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Please let us know the many considerations you received for your hard labor, so that OP knows hard work never goes unrewarded.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Btw, how many of you personally suffered from wage theft?
I was very fortunate in this regard but I did have to chase down one employer for a week for my paycheck after the place closed down suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Those are people you can weaponize to your advantage, dummy.

Hyper active new co-worker, you just show and share how to do some basic tasks. They do a great job. When reviews and evaluations come around, you mention that you helped the hyper person on getting focused on some tasks, and suddenly you're regarded as a genius.

Personally I've had quite the opposite experience of working with team mates that were completely lackadaisical and non-performers, literally not doing the job they were hired for. Weekly team meeting, everyone has tasks to work on, and one dumbass has not finished a single thing they were assigned by the next week's meeting. The rest of us conspired to do their work so they looked bad, not having any answers and the rest of us did. Had to get poo poo done.