Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

More fun is Goon Spotting, seeing AmberPOS screens in the wild. The fun of meeting Goons, without having to actually meet them or let them know you're aware of them!

irl remote viewing happening itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Leperflesh posted:

That's OK I definitely don't qualify as "from YOSPOS" at this point or probably ever, but also meeting goons is gross, why would you ever do that?

Unless it's to swap piles of old computer kit, maybe.

mang i got several IRL friends that i regularly hang out with from this dumb website

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive literally met like 20 people from yospos over the years and we always have a great time

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

only yosposter i've met was a guy i was friends with in college and shortly after. haven't actually seen him in a decade, and it looks like he caught a ban last fall for being a piece of poo poo, so gently caress that guy anyway

edit: i suppose there are probably others since i used to go to a lot of goonmeets, but i wasn't aware they were yosposters if they were

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tbh I think everyone here is pretty cool and I would mostly just be embarrassed about my extremely corporate life, however that said I can absolutely take my beers so I'm sure it would work out in the end

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also if I wanted to get face to face with a weird nerd I would simply turn my monitor off!!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the truth is that I've made several good friends on SA and I've met probably six or so IRL

Hey another funny tech poo poo i just remembered: when I was in high school (in the US) I did two semesters of "library aide" as a class becuase I didn't need more credits or whatever and the major project at that time was sticking little magnetic strips into the spines of all the books in the library. Boring poo poo so we would wait till someone came in the library and try to stick a strip to something they left unattended like a backpack. Then we figured out that the sensor by the door only turned on when someone walked across the mat, like there was a pressure sensor under the mat. So we stuck magnetic strips to the actual big gate thing you walked through right at the end of class and from that moment onward the thing would go off every time anyone walked through it. The librarians had to turn the whole thing off after an hour of that poo poo and then the next day we peeled off the strips so now it worked again and then we told them we just turned it on and it was fine.

But we weren't assholes so we never did it again. Just let them live with the loving thing going off all day for no reason and then work perfectly thereafter lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh lol I remember those things. I worked in an electronics shop as a teen and we used those, if you pulled one off the strip and palmed it, you could fling it dead flat and it would stick to the back of you colleagues shirt and they set the alarms off whenever they went near them.

putting them sticky side up on the floor by the break room was another popular source of entertainment

if you got enough of them in one place though they somehow cancelled out, I'd occasionally walk out with a reel of like 30 in my pocket with no problems I guess the moral here is to go big and steal a lot at once, though it seemed to depend on the type of gate in use.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i've never had a bad experience with the goons i've met although one did turn out to be a giant piece of poo poo and is now permabanned.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

talk about video game school where you learn to tighten up graphics in the interview thread reminded me of when sony made that reality show where the grand prize was getting a job as a video game tester like it was some otherwise unobtainable dream job, and not the game industry equivalent of being a burger flipper at a fast food chain

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The_Franz posted:

talk about video game school where you learn to tighten up graphics in the interview thread reminded me of when sony made that reality show where the grand prize was getting a job as a video game tester like it was some otherwise unobtainable dream job, and not the game industry equivalent of being a burger flipper at a fast food chain

they did 2 seasons of that, it was hilarious because the final challenge in the first series was basically the ending of the wizard only with uncharted 2 instead

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

the truth is that I've made several good friends on SA and I've met probably six or so IRL

Hey another funny tech poo poo i just remembered: when I was in high school (in the US) I did two semesters of "library aide" as a class becuase I didn't need more credits or whatever and the major project at that time was sticking little magnetic strips into the spines of all the books in the library. Boring poo poo so we would wait till someone came in the library and try to stick a strip to something they left unattended like a backpack. Then we figured out that the sensor by the door only turned on when someone walked across the mat, like there was a pressure sensor under the mat. So we stuck magnetic strips to the actual big gate thing you walked through right at the end of class and from that moment onward the thing would go off every time anyone walked through it. The librarians had to turn the whole thing off after an hour of that poo poo and then the next day we peeled off the strips so now it worked again and then we told them we just turned it on and it was fine.

But we weren't assholes so we never did it again. Just let them live with the loving thing going off all day for no reason and then work perfectly thereafter lol

did high school libraries have a huge problem with students stealing books?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The_Franz posted:

doesn't matter, what matters is the pta thinks they do and that the school admin is doing something about it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The_Franz posted:

I have no idea but I would imagine only certain specific books, but a lot for those specific books. It was a high school library so the fiction section was mostly classic fiction like you'd get assigned in an english class but it did have a little section of sci fi and fantasy. There were also the usual sorts of things that horny teenagers target and take?

Really though I'm sure it was just a school district wide imperative, the admin bought the stuff and decreed all schools to use it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think a lot of libraries rather have the problem of people leaving with books they forgot they hadn't checked out yet.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
some people will steal anything if they can get away with it, especially dumbass teenagers

the public libraries here use the same type of thing, and people still steal books and other media.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

like there's actually valuable books that can get stolen, there's people who just prefer not to bother with library cards and needing to return things, and there's people who get a thrill from shoplifting
most people are honest and even more people are honest if you just give them a small push towards honesty, just the barest little nudge in the right direction

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Make it easier to do the right thing and most people will

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

having a room in the house called the "computer room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbmizOjfUc

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Make it easier to do the right thing and most people will

it's so much easier to be nice to people folk who just go through life being dickheads for no reason confuse the poo poo outta me :spergin:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
they’re deeply hurt and scared people

or sociopaths

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

You know what's some stupid tech poo poo? Those electronic shopping cart wheels that lock when you take them out of the parking lot

Like okay you don't want your shopping carts stolen, fine, whatever. But those wheels are the dumbest goddamn thing. First because they are super unreliable and just randomly lock up on their own for no reason. But second because when they lock up, people just keep dragging them around with a locked wheel, and that rips off a chunk of the rubber where it's dragging, and then the wheel has a flat spot that goes clunk clunk clunk even once the wheel is released and now you have a brand new shopping cart that rolls worse than a 20 year old beat to poo poo rusty one with normal wheels. And then this happens to every single cart at the store. gently caress

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, the pick-up app defaults to substitutes and then, if you remove the option, the picker subs anyways

at least you could old person grouch about it, holding the original sheet of paper as you return whatever weird bread they subbed in because they couldn't find the rare (dozens available) italian bread

i remember one time picking up the curbside order at the grocery store i apologized b/c i had a a couple boxes of cat litter and a few cases of soda or something and they instantly said "naw it's fine, i like doing this a lot more than rounding up shopping carts"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just remembered Scantrons, and also dittos
the lovely wonderful smell of a fresh purple ditto

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember one time picking up the curbside order at the grocery store i apologized b/c i had a a couple boxes of cat litter and a few cases of soda or something and they instantly said "naw it's fine, i like doing this a lot more than rounding up shopping carts"

Ironically, when I worked in a grocery store, I liked rounding up shopping carts. No one bothered you, you worked at your own pace, you could visibly see the progress you were making, fresh air.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Volmarias posted:

Ironically, when I worked in a grocery store, I liked rounding up shopping carts. No one bothered you, you worked at your own pace, you could visibly see the progress you were making, fresh air.

I've always felt like this had to be the case. on nice days I will sometimes not return my cart just because I would've loved a chance to walk around outside when I worked a register (it was a drug store photo lab though so we didn't have any carts to retrieve)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Volmarias posted:

note: only applies on days that arent blazing hot or pissing down cold rain

i imagine cart wrangling is a lot less fun in the current era of giant suvs with terrible sightlines and smartphone-using drivers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
when i worked at a grocery store i almost always had to do that in the rain or snow, yeah. it sucked

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

when I worked as a grocery bagger as a teen we also had to offer to take the groceries out to the customer’s car and load them into the trunk. that poo poo is unheard of now lol. sometimes we even got tips :clint:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Corla Plankun posted:

I've always felt like this had to be the case. on nice days I will sometimes not return my cart just because I would've loved a chance to walk around outside when I worked a register (it was a drug store photo lab though so we didn't have any carts to retrieve)

Please do return them, I enjoying being able to bring big loads (ladies... ;)) at a time, chasing a cart at the very edge always felt like a waste.

FMguru posted:

i imagine cart wrangling is a lot less fun in the current era of giant suvs with terrible sightlines and smartphone-using drivers

Also correct. Smartphones weren't an issue at the time but SUVs had become prominent and drivers have always been terrible.

Heat loving sucked but I was always fine doing snow, the front manager understood it took a while and that we got cold so we could just go inside and warm up for a bit and bullshit, which is the ideal situation for being paid :unsmith:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i can totally agree with that. when i did carts it could be miserable, hauling 20 lbs. bags in specific items would be way better. heck, i already did that with my mom as a kid so i knew the store

Volmarias posted:

those parts were nice, especially slow days when you'd get it just so. the rough days were because the store manager wouldn't staff up when we were short, so I'd end up rushing during weekend peak and he'd give me poo poo because one or two other guys didn't show and i was barely keeping it stocked

FMguru posted:

argh, our dress code required black jeans or slacks below a certain temperature, so you'd start a morning to afternoon shift in the summer, temperatures would rise, and you'd roast on the blacktop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i kinda liked bagging. the front manager was decent and when we got self-checkout the few people that dared use them were easy to bag for at their cautious pace

i also was proud of my fast sorting and packing. it's like a race to get people out the door and everyone wins

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Volmarias posted:

that and helping people out to the car. People would always be like "sorry for bothering you" and i was just like "this is the best part of my job" Just walkin slowly to some old ladies car to help her with her bags and talk about the weather and how things cost more than they used to.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

polyester concept posted:

when I worked as a grocery bagger as a teen we also had to offer to take the groceries out to the customer’s car and load them into the trunk. that poo poo is unheard of now lol. sometimes we even got tips :clint:

hell yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

last weekend i bodge fixed my old landlords' old car well enough to get it to pass a smog check. it isn't really fixed but it'll last another two years. they were extremely grateful. helping old people out is a great thing to do and absolutely better than running some dumb cash register for 8 hours in a row

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Gordon Moore :rip:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
not really funny but boxee was really good for a very short period of time. it consolidated a bunch of streaming services really well

it kinda lives on in kodi plugins i guess but its not really the same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

not near there (un?) fortunately!

idk if I'd ever want to meet someone from yospos irl* except maybe echi because that's an easy promise to make and never fulfill on account of the massive geographical barrier (no offense mate)

its a date

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

its a date

closest I've been is Australia like 6 years ago but you never know!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look if the world's ending but you have like 17 days to kill, come over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

look if the world's ending but you have like 17 days to kill, come over

that is a deal my man