Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
on military bases with a commissary they have people who will bag your stuff and take it to your car but they don’t get paid and work only for tips and if you try to waive them off, even in self checkout, they get really pissed. it was either retirees, spouses, or teens and the worst by far were the spouses. and gently caress goddamn if you didn’t have any cash for a tip

I just stopped going because despite being tax free they just added a “stocking fee” which was the same as tax and then you had to tip the bagger. just absolute scam all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

i kinda liked bagging. the front manager was decent and when we got self-checkout the few people that dared use them were easy to bag for at their cautious pace

i also was proud of my fast sorting and packing. it's like a race to get people out the door and everyone wins

I feel this in my core.

I was a bagger in my early teens and the mental sorting algorithm I built to bag groceries is forever seared in my brain. I can bag groceries today and fall right back into it

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Beeftweeter posted:

not really funny but boxee was really good for a very short period of time. it consolidated a bunch of streaming services really well

it kinda lives on in kodi plugins i guess but its not really the same

can’t believe I already forgot about the boxee, RIP. had two of them for a very long time until they finally died.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

some days youre the boxer, others youre the boxee

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

not really funny but boxee was really good for a very short period of time. it consolidated a bunch of streaming services really well

it kinda lives on in kodi plugins i guess but its not really the same

the boxee box was hella cute too

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

polyester concept posted:

when I worked as a grocery bagger as a teen we also had to offer to take the groceries out to the customer’s car and load them into the trunk. that poo poo is unheard of now lol. sometimes we even got tips :clint:

This still happens at the Publix closest to me. It seems intermittent and more based on quantity of groceries, how busy the store is, and age of the person buying them. Usually every other week if I have a full cart the bagger offers to help.

No other grocery store in the area ever did that though.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

didn't boxee hack up xbmc and refuse to contribute back?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Manzoon posted:

This still happens at the Publix closest to me. It seems intermittent and more based on quantity of groceries, how busy the store is, and age of the person buying them. Usually every other week if I have a full cart the bagger offers to help.

No other grocery store in the area ever did that though.

i worked at a harris teeter in high school (1 million years ago) and it was unofficial policy to offer it for large carts if we werent busy. mostly it was for old folks which i was cool with, but then you'd have people who would always demand it and those people always sucked rear end and would get mad if you didnt load it the exact way they wanted. just the worst

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel this in my core.

I was a bagger in my early teens and the mental sorting algorithm I built to bag groceries is forever seared in my brain. I can bag groceries today and fall right back into it

Extremely same. I'm actually disappointed with myself whenever I go shopping now, because of how long it takes me to do the bagging and how poorly I do it now. I used to make Paper-In-Plastic cuboids by playing 3d Tetris, my bags were packed, extremely legit, not too heavy, and fit in the cart perfectly. Now I'm just tossing the eggs on top of a shapeless heap of cold things and calling it a day.

I've become the very thing I fought against!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have to bag medications into bags and it’s so satisfying when it fits extremely nicely

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shaggar posted:

i worked at a harris teeter in high school (1 million years ago) and it was unofficial policy to offer it for large carts if we werent busy. mostly it was for old folks which i was cool with, but then you'd have people who would always demand it and those people always sucked rear end and would get mad if you didnt load it the exact way they wanted. just the worst

It's a newish store which was why I thought it was offered, but also the first Publix to move into the region. I assume they have some big corporate mandates. My county is some weird battleground for a lot of grocery store chains which I think keeps most of them on their toes regarding extra perceived customer bonuses like helping put your groceries away.

I have never seen anyone working at a Harris teeter, food lion, or lowes food offer that which is why it stood out so much.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nudgenudgetilt posted:

didn't boxee hack up xbmc and refuse to contribute back?

iirc they didn't contribute their specific plugins but the straight up modifications to xbmc were

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
how pressing middle click lets you scroll up or down a page by moving your mouse up and down. does anyone actually use this?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i accidentally use it all the time and then have to scroll back to where i was

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

qsvui posted:

how pressing middle click lets you scroll up or down a page by moving your mouse up and down. does anyone actually use this?

i've never had a mouse with a working press-button under the scrollwheel that lasted for more than a few days so i never learned to rely on it; pigup and pigdn squad here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You buy some lovely mice, drat. Some of the programs I use every day use the middle click for basic navigation.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qsvui posted:

all the drat time, both intentionally and unintentionally

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qsvui posted:

i also use this feature

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

taking the ball out of the mouse and cleaning the horrible ring of gunk off of the two little plastic rollers inside

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Mice at school being glued shut to stop people stealing the ball, so the rollers gunked up and became inop anyway

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

taking the ball out of the mouse and cleaning the horrible ring of gunk off of the two little plastic rollers inside

guess what my trackball mouse in tyool 2023 gets gunky over the course of 2-3 days. its easy to degunk though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

You buy some lovely mice, drat. Some of the programs I use every day use the middle click for basic navigation.

yeah..

i won’t lie initially it took a bit of training to use it for click without accidentally scrolling but you just need to get a feel for the direction to press it

and then you’re in flavour town

how else do you open links in a new tab

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rubber membrane over the keyboard to keep crumbs/vomit/etc from falling into it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

jammyozzy posted:

Mice at school being glued shut to stop people stealing the ball, so the rollers gunked up and became inop anyway

Sun mice and the little calibrated metal plate you had to put them on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

those templates you’d put over keyabors that had shortcuts etc

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Progressive JPEG posted:

still do this at places like pizza joints so they can interact with the electronic order systems without destroying a keyboard with flower and meat grease every week and god drat do they get disgusting

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Progressive JPEG posted:

old dryer sheets weighed down with Altoids tin over the keyboard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kitfox88 posted:

still do this at places like pizza joints so they can interact with the electronic order systems without destroying a keyboard with flower and meat grease every week and god drat do they get disgusting

turn on that monitor you got there buddy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leperflesh posted:

A decade of the same joke about mouse balls

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qsvui posted:

way back in the day i had a logitech "wingman" three button mouse (no scroll wheel) and i used that feature all the time then. that was like circa 1999. now i use a mac and it doesn't do this; i use "mac mouse fix" to make it launch ~mission control~ when i double click it tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

i won’t lie initially it took a bit of training to use it for click without accidentally scrolling but you just need to get a feel for the direction to press it

heck, i mapped a spare button to middle click just for the convenience. granted, i have an ergonomic trackball and half the extra buttons are remaps

i even mapped a double click :hellyeah:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

Sun mice and the little calibrated metal plate you had to put them on

these ruled because they came out at a time when optical mice were absolutely unheard of. the place I worked at doing helpdesk as a teenager had sun machines because they interfaced well with our ancient AS/400 and Oracle system. the day those mice showed up in the round of sun machine upgrades, they blew everyone’s minds.

they also let me take home like 5 Sun pizza box machines because ~90’s internet and data security~

I wish I still had them.

ALSO a big part of my job was going out in the shop and swapping the rubber keyboard covers on the as/400 dumb terminals because they would get shredded up with use and without them the keyboards got irreparably clogged with weld dust.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

so satisfying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Leck posted:

so satisfying

if it all came off in one strip?

:kiss:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

if it all came off in one strip?

:kiss:

:unsmith:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

:allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

idgi

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it was an ullillillia thing. in his darker days, he determined it better to put dryer sheets over his keyboard to keep it clean vs washing his hands

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

echinopsis posted:

turn on that monitor you got there buddy

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I hope uli is doing ok these days