Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i didn’t think the site could get any dumber but it seems to have lately reached some critical mass of stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

indigochill 56 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I'm not sure that game dev as a gig economy would be the worst thing. Make a thing, get paid, move on. Especially since a traditional game (not MMO or "game as a service") has a natural beginning, middle, and end of development.

Plus I assume if you're an independent contractor (not working in an outsourced sweatshop) you have more leverage to stand your ground against nonsense like crunch. But I'm fantasizing that because I've never done contract work so I don't know if that's really the case.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ah yes, game dev, widely known for not requiring any support whatsoever after launch

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a lot of games have their teams flat-out dissolved after it ships, or maybe a couple of patches later, no?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Subjunctive posted:

a lot of games have their teams flat-out dissolved after it ships, or maybe a couple of patches later, no?

Not in companies that like to continue making games

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kretinsky 7 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

What is the crime here? Crypto trading is done by willing individuals, no one is forcing you to participate in this market.
Moreover, “regulation” is not a synonym of “good and righteous”, especially in the US, where things are quite shady when you look from the outside. FTX was the dear of the regulators, and ended us as a massive scam. The recurrent crises in the banking sector show that regulation is, frankly, quite useless.
Furthermore, the US has a long history of using “regulation” as a way to do financial repression against its population and other countries. Crypto, among all the scams and dubious projects, is one of the last harbingers of financial freedom in a world that gets darker and darker every day on that aspect.
Don't believe me? Well, the day you'll be on the longer end of the stick, you'll understand.

Mizoguchi 52 minutes ago [flagged] | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: SushiDAO served with subpoena by SEC

The SEC is having its Kriptonacht now that with the new kid on the block no one gives a pinch of owl dung about crypto anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: the day you'll be on the longer end of the stick, you'll understand

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hn thread: what is the crime here?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hahahahaha Kriptonacht

awesome

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

nvrgrls posted:

hahahahaha Kriptonacht

awesome

breathtaking in its dumbfuckery

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Subjunctive posted:

these days everything other than small indie games either spends two years in "early access" or is a game as a service

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zlodo posted:

Not in companies that like to continue making games

Making good video games as opposed to crypto and microtransaction scams isn’t profitable, so this is an increasingly small pool

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

Making good video games as opposed to crypto and microtransaction scams isn’t profitable, so this is an increasingly small pool

It's even harder to be profitable when you dissolve teams willy nilly and lose all their institutional knowledge etc

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Zlodo posted:

It's even harder to be profitable when you dissolve teams willy nilly and lose all their institutional knowledge etc

a lot of unity tutorials out there

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MagicMoonlight 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

So how would you feel if there was a database of tech employees? Tech companies have absolute power over people’s lives and a huge amount of private information used for malicious purposes.
Would you be happy if it said “Here are tim and james, here is where they live, make them accountable!”?

Vaslo 3 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I find the fact that I cannot post certain ideas to Reddit in my local city subreddit without getting downvoted to Oblivion and then no longer can post at all due to negative karma problematic. In fact, I find this way more problematic for me than s handful of rear end in a top hat cops. Should I start posting information about community managers or employees at Reddit who don’t help in this situation?
Doesn’t matter what your equivalency argument is. This is problematic and opens the door to abuse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

watching local subreddits Balkanize is always fun

for example in June 2020 there suddenly were a half dozen minnesota subreddits

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hermannj314 25 minutes ago | next [–]
I have a few conversations going.
My most productive is a therapy session with ChatGPT as therapist. I told it my values, my short term goals, and some areas in my life where I'd like to have more focus and areas where I would like to spend less time.
Some days we are retrospective and some days we are planning. My therapist gets me back on track, never judges, and has lots of motivational ideas for me. All aligned with my values and goals.
Last weekend, I went on a hike because ChatGPT told me to. My life is better if I just do what it says.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hermann Jeering

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BigCryo 8 hours ago | prev [–]

Regarding the "live forever" command that the magician gave to the young Bradbury, Bradbury had a chance to sign up for cryonics, which is objectively the only way to get a chance to live forever, but he said that he could not face waking up in the future where he knew nobody, and that he cannot stand to leave his friends and neighborhood and neighbors of his current life.. so maybe he had a chance to live forever by signing up for cryonics, but he decided against it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zlodo posted:

yeah but the games industry outside of the AAAest studios is about maximizing returns for publishers and not providing a sustainable income model for the developers. see also all the fx houses that dissolve after every blockbuster wraps.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

psychphysic 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Cryptocurrencies add nothing useful to society, sa...

I suppose you'd have told Ms Parks to shut up and get off the bus if avoiding crime is all that's good for society?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Subjunctive posted:

yeah but the games industry outside of the AAAest studios is about maximizing returns for publishers and not providing a sustainable income model for the developers. see also all the fx houses that dissolve after every blockbuster wraps.

I don't think that this short-termist view is still that prevalent. what's your definition of "the AAAiest studios" anyway? I can think of plenty of non AAA studios that have done multiple games and are still chugging along

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zlodo posted:

I don't think that this short-termist view is still that prevalent.

well that's good news. I stopped going to GDC a few years ago, but it was a common-enough hotel bar tale of woe for a long time!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the good news is you don't get fired at the end of every dev cycle

the bad news is you only get to work on mobile gacha games

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

olorum posted:

indigochill 56 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I'm not sure that game dev as a gig economy would be the worst thing. Make a thing, get paid, move on. Especially since a traditional game (not MMO or "game as a service") has a natural beginning, middle, and end of development.

Plus I assume if you're an independent contractor (not working in an outsourced sweatshop) you have more leverage to stand your ground against nonsense like crunch. But I'm fantasizing that because I've never done contract work so I don't know if that's really the case.

"Hiro, I can't understand why you're holding out on me. We're making bucks here - Kongbucks and yen - and we can be flexible on pay and bennies. We're putting together a swords-and-sorcery thing, and we can use a hacker with your skills. Come on down and talk to me, okay?"

Hiro walks straight through the display, and it vanishes. Amusement parks in the Metaverse can be fantastic, offering a wide selection of interactive three-dimensional movies. But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games. Hiro's not so poor, yet, that he would go and write video games for this company.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nothing like a hn dating thread

throwaway290 21 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Controversial but maybe under-appreciated point.
Similar here, I tend to filter by age not because that's what I'm strictly into but because in my limited experience older ladies tend to be more thirsty/desperate and that makes it difficult for me...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I know this is like the opposite of what this thread is about, but I'd like to just take a moment to appreciate that is this YC Launch post about generating and cloning voices right now is mostly filled with comments about how unethical it is and how it will primarily be used to cause harm.

It might be filled with counter-arguments shortly, but I think it shows that the HN community actually has at least some posters that seem to give a poo poo about how the technology they create is used.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it's down. this time for good? we can only hope.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Xik posted:

It might be filled with counter-arguments shortly, but I think it shows that the HN community actually has at least some posters that seem to give a poo poo about how the technology they create is used.

delgaudm posted:

How do you assert that the cloned voice has been truly permitted by the voice owner? I've had my voice cloned without my consent by other people using Descript and Eleven Labs.
What is your process for verifying consent?

Getting mad once the problem affects you personally, classic

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xik posted:

I know this is like the opposite of what this thread is about, but I'd like to just take a moment to appreciate that is this YC Launch post about generating and cloning voices right now is mostly filled with comments about how unethical it is and how it will primarily be used to cause harm.

utopcell 9 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Can't you take a moment and appreciate the great technical achievement before you ?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol there it is

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

distortion park posted:

utopcell 9 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Can't you take a moment and appreciate the great technical achievement before you ?

lmao, I (extremely predictably) have egg on my face

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
simondanerd 28 minutes ago | on: Microsoft's Software Is Malware

I'm all for calling out large corporations and bad actors on their misconduct, but this article seems bigoted against Microsoft and their products, and hypocritical at times.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
hn thread: bigoted against Microsoft

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lifeisstillgood 34 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Maybe the C suite should use software. I am serious - i see software as a form of literacy and at some point the workers for the worlds largest companies stopped being human and became CPUs and GPUs. Coders became managers. I mean Twitter is trying to become a company of workers (CPUs) and their managers only.

You do need a unifying story so that the managers co-ordinate at a high "mission" level.

And most of the rest of the co-ordination is done via integration testing.

Frankly "managers" as we know them, supervisory over a few people are done for.

What will succeed is what google now seems to optimise for - being nice and safe for coders so they can co-operate.

Frankly therapists on tap might make for better org design - iron out most of the directional problems with "the story", keep people from infighting by sharing the cash and occasional therapy sessions and you pretty much describe Google till last year

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dick Fontaine posted:

What will succeed is what google now seems to optimise for - being nice and safe for coders so they can co-operate.

lmao tell me you havent been keeping up with the news without...

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

eimrine 2 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Scratch is the world’s largest coding community fo...

> But he looses interest once he sees just lines.

This hits me deeply. I do not have kids, even not married. But when/if they will appear I will manage to disallow any GUI on the territory of my house for everybody including me (I hope old Nokias will still be a thing at that time for having ability to communicate or it will not work). Then a child will look at the lines as at the most interesting thing in the house and maybe starts going a GNU/Linux hacker way as early as some greatest mathematicians have started their math careers.

I respect such thing as Scratch and any of his competitors, but let's be honest, gentlemen - games is a misusing of computer and the lines is what matters.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

load bearing when/if

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hn thread: games is a misusing of computer and the lines is what matters.