Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I was looking at a menu for "Torchy's Tacos" earlier and noted that almost every single taco was over $6.

and several are over $7!! and they have dumbass names that piss me off!!

Anyone paid $10+ for a single taco yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
$.99

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Three tacos makes a burrito.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Did you slap an I did that sticker on there OP?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Most of the taco places around here are plentiful, super cheap, and delicious.

But A.) I’m 60 miles from the border, and B.) I’m brown and got the hook up at most places. The most I’ve ever paid for a taco is probably $6 for an Indian taco, which is a huge fry bread made up as a taco and well worth it. I do love me some fry bread with honey and powdered sugar, though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I was looking at a menu for "Torchy's Tacos" earlier and noted that almost every single taco was over $6.

most of the tacos i eat regularly are like $1.50. i usually get them from a place called El Paisa which is on ave 58 in LA, or sometimes up on York ave when there is a taco stand out in front of the Big 5.

however, i have been to Torchy's several times and their tacos are pretty substantial, a lot bigger than the street tacos i usually eat. i dont know that it's necessarily $7 worth of more food, but its definitely more food, and probably more expensive ingredients too.

to answer your question, it depends. when im at home, im not going to pay much for a taco. but i could conceive of a situation, like if i was stuck working in rural ireland for a year and i had a lot of disposable income but no access to good food, where i would pay up to $50 for the exact same taco i normally pay $1.50 for, as long as i knew it was going to taste like the real thing.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 26, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ill pay you $100 tuesday for a taco today

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AARD VARKMAN posted:

and several are over $7!! and they have dumbass names that piss me off!!

Anyone paid $10+ for a single taco yet?

That screenshot looks like it's from one of those delivery services like Grubhub. I've noticed more restaurants charging more on those sites, I guess to make up for the cut those websites take. I bet if you went to that place in person the taco would be about 5 bucks.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i would pay $100 for 100 tacos

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I dont know like 2 bucks

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jose Oquendo posted:

That screenshot looks like it's from one of those delivery services like Grubhub. I've noticed more restaurants charging more on those sites, I guess to make up for the cut those websites take. I bet if you went to that place in person the taco would be about 5 bucks.

its 20 cents less choosing "pick up" from their website :thumbsup:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stop with these degrees. Can you imagine where there is no tacos?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i follow a twitter bot that posts random restaurants all over the world and right as i was reading this thread they posted a taco place in the cayman islands. all i know about the cayman islands is a vague idea that their main industry is money laundering, which is an idea i probably got from the simpsons and/or a john lecarre novel.

anyway i looked up the menu and the tacos range from $4.20 to $6.60 in usd so i guess if you eat at torchy's you are literally paying (slightly) more than wealthiest criminal bankers in the world pay for their tacos

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

its 20 cents less choosing "pick up" from their website :thumbsup:

That makes no loving sense. Seems like a place I would not order tacos from.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i get 3 al pastor tacos for $5 but to be honest, i would pay much more for them little shits

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I get these tacos that are $30 for 2 tacos at LaGuardia

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I make nice tacos at home so I never feel the need to order them out. I'm more likely to get enchiladas or carnitas at a Mexican place. I used to like Taco Bell but it's been 15 years since I ate at one.

But anyway probably not very much because I'm a taco fiend and I must consume them in bulk so they gotta be cheap

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jose Oquendo posted:

That makes no loving sense. Seems like a place I would not order tacos from.

hang on i was looking at the wrong thing, only $6.50 pick up from my local one. hot drat!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Probably like $4? Better be a drat good taco tho

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

hang on i was looking at the wrong thing, only $6.50 pick up from my local one. hot drat!

Depending on how fresh the ingredients are and how full the taco is, that could be a reasonable price. It would also depend on where the place is located and how expensive food is in the area.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
if you ever go to a restaurant and the tacos all advertise Red Cabbage then i suggest you steer clear because they're always tasteless garbage. it's a dead giveaway

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I ate at Torchy's yesterday, the Mr. Orange was $6.15 at my location. Most of the tacos are $5 and 2 tacos is a meal. Not a good price for tacos but not a terrible deal for food overall.

These are gringo tacos, they don't even have barbacoa anymore. The brisket tacos are the way to go.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Americas Test Kitchin. Ground beef!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

if you ever go to a restaurant and the tacos all advertise Red Cabbage then i suggest you steer clear because they're always tasteless garbage. it's a dead giveaway

if you are talking about torchys - those are pickled onions. the slaw is on the bottom and isn't red

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

$2.50 because I have better sense than to buy tacos from a Vespa driving mid-aughties Austinite

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TengenNewsEditor posted:

if you are talking about torchys - those are pickled onions. the slaw is on the bottom and isn't red

i'm not talking about torchys this is just an aside (Public Service style).

I eat torchys every once in a while despite the price btw, it's decent, scratches a different kind of itch entirely really. however i still have a stomachache at the idea of $6+ tacos just instinctually

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I eat torchys every once in a while despite the price btw, it's decent, scratches a different kind of itch entirely really.

:agreed:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i'm not talking about torchys this is just an aside (Public Service style).

i love red cabbage but i've never heard of that and it ain't right

zone
Dec 6, 2016
$10 if they're worth that price.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I would not pay $6 for a taco

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Like is this one of those loophole things where like you buy the $6 taco and the guy gives you a handjob for free so ur not technically paying for the sex act?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ya

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I feel like the going rate here is $3/per. I’d almost never pay more than five.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
i would pay $100 for a taco if it was the best taco, for example

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Gotta order it super with extra pico vergallo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quesabirria tacos are almost always more expensive than other meat tacos here and they usually run about 4-5 each. Maybe because the consome is included?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
There’s a place here in slc that sells a 3 pound taco for $18.99. I’d buy it again

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Do they let you gently caress the taco? I mean is that a option?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

What do you think the booths are for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

85 cents.