Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Bibi fired the defense minister and people didn't like that.

Reuters posted:

•Tens of thousands take to streets to protest dismissal
•Opposition leaders say Netanyahu crossed "red line"
•Minister said divisions posed "immediate" threat to security

https://twitter.com/Istanbultelaviv/status/1640097908870508546?s=19
https://twitter.com/Istanbultelaviv/status/1640115820586991618?t=1mYouGUdcVCGVih8JgrZpg&s=19

Hospitals, universities and labor workers have announced that they will be striking in response to Netanyahu's firing of Defense Minister Gallant and the government's on-going judicial reform legislation:
There's going to be a strike tomorrow

quote:

With dozens of doctors announcing their intention to call in sick, there is concern that hospitals will not be able to operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Who the hell is bibi

My mom goes by bibi with my neice. Instead of granny or whatever. It's cute

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I will also be calling in sick tomorrow, in solidarity

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
bibis nutz

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if yall think this is bad wait until trump is reelected

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the bad guys will win, they always always always do. Protests arent poo poo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We will break holes in teeth! The cavity creeps.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dixville posted:

Who the hell is bibi

netanyahu

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This Israeli serious :ocelot: :grin:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

STABASS posted:

I will also be calling in sick tomorrow, in solidarity

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Netanyahu is such a piece of poo poo. Dude is currently being investigated for corruption and surprise! this legislation makes it harder for the courts to remove the president from office, yknow, entirely coincidentally.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Give me Matisyahu any day of the week, as far as yahus go

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ahhhh Bibi, the Trump of Israel.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Ahhhh Bibi, the Trump of Israel.

"we will build a wall and it will be a nice wall, and we ll make Egypt pay for it!"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Can’t believe Net & Yahoo are at it again those crazy kids!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dixville posted:

Who the hell is bibi

Nothin what's bibi with you?

Lots of people are protesting, I don't think this was a smart move
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1640096588671352834?t=Sgnm0T0TcyX3Opw24yXHtA&s=19

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Should realize.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lmao how did that piece of poo poo get back into power.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Don't these people know you can protest on twitter without leaving the house?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Haverchuck posted:

the bad guys will win, they always always always do. Protests arent poo poo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Lmao how did that piece of poo poo get back into power.

Did he ever actually leave? He sure seems like a giant piece of poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My brother got killed doing something he shouldn't have been doing in a place he shouldn't have been, very illegally, therefore I get to do whatever the gently caress I want

A summary of Benjamin Netanyahu's career

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

Did he ever actually leave? He sure seems like a giant piece of poo poo.

IIRC he ducked when the heat was on and got by because *motions at Trump*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wait it wasn't a nickname for world famous pop star Justin Bieber?! Fuuuuuuck

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
Going on a bit of a rant since I barely slept tonight, I live within walking distance from where the big protests have been happening for the last three months and last night was insane. I'm both hopeful for Israel for the first time in about thirty years and I'm also deeply scared for what's going to happen.

Basically Netanyahu and his government decided to neuter the supreme court which would turn Israel into a full blown dictatorship, but he didn't realize how much backlash it would get (both local and international).
He tried his usual plan of trying to discredit the protestors and calling them "a small group of Anarchists" but in reality it's been hundreds of thousands of people protesting daily, and thousands of military volunteers said they will not serve the military if Israel is no longer a democracy.

Gallant, the defense minister, told Netanyahu that the protests and international backlash mean that Israel would be unprepared against the upcoming threats from Iran and Lebanon and that he should immediately stop his attempts at judicial reform and focus on rebuilding trust. So Netanyahu, naturally, decided to fire him.

About ten minutes later, some of my friends messaged me that a spontaneous protest was being organized. 20 minutes later my mom called and asked if I've heard the cars with speakers going around the city yelling at people to get out and protest. Two hours later there were about 100,000 people blocking the highway with tens of thousands more protesting all around the country. The police was completely overwhelmed so they've managed to stay there until roughly 4 AM. Now the universities have gone on general strike and the Histadrut (Israel's largest labor union) are about to announce a general strike too. Over 20 mayors have declared a hunger strike. Several mainstream newspapers have claimed on the front page that Netanyahu is unfit to serve and is a clear danger to the survival of the country.

So now Netanyahu is stuck - if he continues with the legislation, he's risking a total collapse of the country. If he decides to stop, his government will collapse and his voters will finish him, then he will probably go to prison (since being prime minister is the only thing stopping him from being on trial right now).

I was apathetic ever since the last elections but now I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe the actual normal people (which are still the majority of people in Israel by a wide margin, despite the fascists trying to claim otherwise) will get their poo poo together for once? Maybe?

Edit: added some photos but I guess I didn't embed them correctly so here's the direct link: https://imgur.com/a/y70SJ33

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Throw Bibi to the wolves and I'd feel a lot better about the future of Israel, imo. Dude sucks, and has sucked, for a long time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Schweinhund posted:

Don't these people know you can protest on twitter without leaving the house?

But then only Elon Musk would read your protest.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But then only Elon Musk would read your protest.

Looking into it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DGP Space Lion posted:

Going on a bit of a rant since I barely slept tonight, I live within walking distance from where the big protests have been happening for the last three months and last night was insane. I'm both hopeful for Israel for the first time in about thirty years and I'm also deeply scared for what's going to happen.

Basically Netanyahu and his government decided to neuter the supreme court which would turn Israel into a full blown dictatorship, but he didn't realize how much backlash it would get (both local and international).
He tried his usual plan of trying to discredit the protestors and calling them "a small group of Anarchists" but in reality it's been hundreds of thousands of people protesting daily, and thousands of military volunteers said they will not serve the military if Israel is no longer a democracy.

Gallant, the defense minister, told Netanyahu that the protests and international backlash mean that Israel would be unprepared against the upcoming threats from Iran and Lebanon and that he should immediately stop his attempts at judicial reform and focus on rebuilding trust. So Netanyahu, naturally, decided to fire him.

About ten minutes later, some of my friends messaged me that a spontaneous protest was being organized. 20 minutes later my mom called and asked if I've heard the cars with speakers going around the city yelling at people to get out and protest. Two hours later there were about 100,000 people blocking the highway with tens of thousands more protesting all around the country. The police was completely overwhelmed so they've managed to stay there until roughly 4 AM. Now the universities have gone on general strike and the Histadrut (Israel's largest labor union) are about to announce a general strike too. Over 20 mayors have declared a hunger strike. Several mainstream newspapers have claimed on the front page that Netanyahu is unfit to serve and is a clear danger to the survival of the country.

So now Netanyahu is stuck - if he continues with the legislation, he's risking a total collapse of the country. If he decides to stop, his government will collapse and his voters will finish him, then he will probably go to prison (since being prime minister is the only thing stopping him from being on trial right now).

I was apathetic ever since the last elections but now I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe the actual normal people (which are still the majority of people in Israel by a wide margin, despite the fascists trying to claim otherwise) will get their poo poo together for once? Maybe?

Edit: added some photos but I guess I didn't embed them correctly so here's the direct link: https://imgur.com/a/y70SJ33

Thanks for this! Stay safe and good luck!!!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

thanks for the background info... be safe.. wow

Edit: please clip guys don't post the full quote it makes it hard to read thanks

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 27, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

Thanks for this post and please stay safe!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

DGP Space Lion posted:

snip for length
Thank you and please stay safe.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

DGP Space Lion posted:

i'm rooting for you!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The President of Israel has posted on Twitter that the legislation should be stopped, and this is apparently breaking on state TV:

https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/1640240611331653633?s=20

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Thanks for this post, and I'll echo everyone else here, hope you stay safe! Rooting for you guys! Things can get better when people act, and the people definitely are acting now!

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Well, that's a start if nothing else.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

live stream here for news as it comes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYQpr1JnzTk

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

whats the source and who is this guy trying to keep it live? doesn't seem to be any news right now? its like watching cnn or fox with a *breaking* headline and they just put out words because they can't have dead air

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-27-2023-2/

This is a fairly decent liveblog that updates fairly frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Karma Comedian posted:

Nothin what's bibi with you?

Lots of people are protesting, I don't think this was a smart move
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1640096588671352834?t=Sgnm0T0TcyX3Opw24yXHtA&s=19

So you can protest there with out being loving shot, gassed and a tank driven over you house?