Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a deadlock i would think about more with the classic producers / consumers example, with the group of dining philosophers and the spoons / soup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_philosophers_problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
great got ghosted i guess

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

that sucks, beef! happened to me a handful of times this go around :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
place seemed kinda scammy anyway, i'm not too broken up about it. extremely generic name, thin website thats filled with SEO crap and i don't even think i applied to them directly lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/trudeauross/status/1640710227044474881?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nice. that's like the clinton/bobdole and starwars/trek ones

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

passing out on the toilet is an example of blocking. a thread successfully acquired the resource but is keeping it locked because of (in this case) a failure. Another example would be that he just cant stop making GBS threads. A thread can successfully acquire a resource and just never give it up because it just keeps using it.

Neither of those are deadlocks which is where both resources somehow acquire a lock before actually doing any work. It would be like 2 people rush into the same stall and they get stuck in the doorway. Neither can access the toilet, and neither can stop blocking access to the toilet.

dammit, i think i just learned something :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs: touching fish. might just switch to not-badscreen and play games for a bit

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

when people say they’re touching fish are they actually fishing or does it just mean slacking off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the latter

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i guess i was kind of wishing people were actually going out to fish, laptop included

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
fish is not posix compliant :ignorance:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol second interview turned out to be a complete waste of time also

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

when people say they’re touching fish are they actually fishing or does it just mean slacking off

means they are jerking off

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

touching lamprey

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
touching fish (sticks)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Armitag3 posted:

it’s chinese slang

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Armitag3 posted:

i thought there were two actual fishtouchers in here

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Armitag3 posted:

it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmkXRrr2YY

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

it’s chinese slang

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
my job sometimes involves touching fiche

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
cjs: took a 2 hour lunch and didn’t have a single message when i got back. if it weren’t for a meeting i coulda made it 3 hours

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

im really out here touching fish

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

means they are jerking off

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: really appreciate that every time i reopen unity after it crashes it asks me how likely id be to recommend it to a friend or colleague

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also today is the last day before a four day weekend and it's a no meeting day and sitting in front of bad screen is significantly more annoying under these circumstances

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i think i wanna take up fly fishing. it seems so cool

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

HamAdams posted:

my dad started me on this and yeah it's fun. i wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't getting me fly fishing equipment for my birthday and christmas though, that poo poo can be expensive.

we've been doing a fly fishing trips out to colorado every year, this will be the third year doing it. first year we did the area around buena vista, last year was up by granby, this year I think we're gonna be down south near the rio grande, but we haven't really decided yet. it's a good time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

HamAdams posted:

don't adopt an expensive hobby you don't actually like if all you want to do is go to some water and drink beer

you can just go to the water and drink beer

you don't need an excuse

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

this year I think we're gonna be down south near the rio grande, but we haven't really decided yet. it's a good time.

go north and do kenai

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

im really out here touching fish

Let him go :mad:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

The Fool posted:

go north and do kenai

yeah we've talked a bit about doing alaska but idk if it's gonna happen. colorado is easy because one of my dad's fishing buddies lives north of denver and gets the campsite and everything set up so we just have to fly out and meet him.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HamAdams posted:

i highly recommend it if you dont yet have a hobby where you spend way too much money on stuff. i mainly just do tenkara now when i am backpacking, which has simpler gear, is cheaper, and its easier to learn how to cast well quickly.

Sagebrush posted:

i never even took him out of the water :dings: i always do feel kind of bad though and try to be very careful unhooking them. i usually dont even take photos because its just more time in my hands.

one time (at the same creek in this photo), i threw what i thought was a bad cast, so i pulled my line back to recast immediately. in that split second where the fly hit the water, this little minnow had grabbed my fly but it didn't hook him. i accidentally threw that little guy about 10 feet up in the air and downstream behind me. luckily he landed back in the stream :cawg:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

when I catch fish I rip out their gills with a finger, then shove a large needle with twine through

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah we've talked a bit about doing alaska but idk if it's gonna happen. colorado is easy because one of my dad's fishing buddies lives north of denver and gets the campsite and everything set up so we just have to fly out and meet him.

counterpoint

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

post hole digger posted:

i accidentally threw that little guy about 10 feet up in the air and downstream behind me. luckily he landed back in the stream :cawg:

that minnow when he got back:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

this is what i had assumed as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

that minnow when he got back:

lmao