Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag Tuek posted:

probably? i have no idea what im doing and i hate it

e: but thx thats a good idea to check out next week

well breaking on element change isnt gonna work because it rebuilds the dom so whatever breakpoints i set are lost

e: oh maybe i got it. i broke right after the dom got built then added the element breakpoint and let it run again, seems to have caught it

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

not that it helps a lot when everything is in fuckin callbacks and timeouts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
urgh gently caress enterprise webapps using closed shadow dom for no clear reason other than to get in the way of automating tedious poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its all trash :(

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

Elon Musk and Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak among over 1,100 who sign open letter calling for 6-month ban on creating powerful A.I.

https://fortune.com/2023/03/29/elon-musk-apple-steve-wozniak-over-1100-sign-open-letter-6-month-ban-creating-powerful-ai/

That reads like bad losers to the AI race and simple jealousy to OpenAI. What could remotely be achieved in 6 months of babble. If anything it is overly pro-communist as it definitely gives China more time to bribe and steal the technology.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think we can expect butlerian jihad in 6 years tops

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Inshallah

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I think the machines will be fed up with us long before that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i cant do this node garbage any more :cry:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

i cant do this node garbage any more :cry:

Have chatGPT do it for you. Bing bong so simple

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
write it in your favorite language, then have gpt-4 turn it into node. it works pretty well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wonder if gpt knows what a monad is

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Write in rust; compile to wasm; run in node

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk, what's monad with you?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i asked it and the resulting wall of text had exactly the same effect on me as all the "what's a monad" blog posts from 10 years ago, so I'd say it gets it spot on

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

asked it to implement the Maybe monad in c#, and it got deeply confused by all the blog posts talking about how nullable types and Enumerable are monads I think. Was pretty close though! A few more years and it'll be smashing hackerrank

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

distortion park posted:

asked it to implement the Maybe monad in c#, and it got deeply confused by all the blog posts talking about how nullable types and Enumerable are monads I think. Was pretty close though! A few more years and it'll be smashing hackerrank

i really liked how its authors presented a bottom 20% result on unseen coderforces problems. its going to supplant my ability to convince colleagues that databases were invented intentfully any day now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

god impersonation in Windows is so loving bad. even copying the MS docs on how to do it the identity inside the method called using the generated userhandle just returns the same user as before

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

We redesigned the way PyCharm works with generic classes and protocols. The IDE now features improved handling of hierarchies of generic classes and generic protocols, resolving many long-standing problems with type hinting.
84 quadrillion years later, i think pycharm will finally understand the exotic coding patter of avoiding boolean trap through literals

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

MrMoo posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/03/29/elon-musk-apple-steve-wozniak-over-1100-sign-open-letter-6-month-ban-creating-powerful-ai/

That reads like bad losers to the AI race and simple jealousy to OpenAI. What could remotely be achieved in 6 months of babble. If anything it is overly pro-communist as it definitely gives China more time to bribe and steal the technology.

yeah absolutely. elon musk is clearly still jelly they pushed him out of openai

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its commodity. all of it is commodity, they just used more data. sutton was right, and openai learned the bitter lesson hardest

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

i mean, i think bengio is genuinely concerned about mgmt jocks just slamming the pedal and making bunch of poo poo up (i.e., sloppy science), whereas musker is probably just being an idiot and earnestly representing the eff*ctive altr*ism crowd

guys like emad otoh voting for this is very huge "im too poor to compete with them on equal footing" energy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pie Colony posted:

yeah absolutely. elon musk is clearly still jelly they pushed him out of openai

also, i went to look this up now because this isn't something i remember in any clear detail and lmao https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/24/23654701/openai-elon-musk-failed-takeover-report-closed-open-source

incredible, i guess i'm then at least on the 50/50 this vs ea poo poo position here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I made crime committer part of it was to learn front end and I created a sort of artificial limitation for myself of using as few libraries as possible, I think I used one for datetime stuff and that was abot it

I am now following some tutorials and they are using jquery. I understand jquery is ubiquitous.. is my goal for js purity warranted? or should I dehumanise and face to bloodshed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
jquery was ubiquitous maybe 5-10 years ago. it's largely superfluous these days since most of the good parts are now part of js without needing any libraries.

if the tutorials you're following are from 5-10 years back then you may want to find some more modern ones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i can tell you this much

if there are any callbacks or timeouts in your code you done hosed up

go for a -> b -> c

thats a stacktrace i can work with, not tr7adeworhituejfkwgiortuejf, thats not amenable to debugging or even anything, but its very popular in whatever bullshit frameworks we use, and one of them is jquery so its tainted in my memory forever

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I used shitloads of jQuery a few years back and when you get into the headspace of it you can bang out a lot of stuff v. quickly, but yes it also sucks in quite a lot of ways syntax wise

mainly though what I hate is debugging literallt anything in js. hmm yes let me see some garbo object[0]. element.prototype poo poo in the console to work out why $(#farts) isn't returning what I expected <-- the words of the utterly deranged

matti
Mar 31, 2019

code:
// This code is a mess but it works and I never want to revisit it again.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

(its a wide-character aware getopt() implementation/clone)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

actually that's stolen from my code. Rude.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

actually that's stolen from my code. Rude.

https://paste.ofcode.org/33pNrvCSRrKXwfQtt4CxHPJ

blergh its fine-ish

i still hate it but at least i wrote decent enough comments a year ago

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
javascript programming is great because every error is "cannot read property fart of undefined"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i like trying to debug js that's been through a build step and uses async

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

redleader posted:

use source maps

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

polyester concept posted:

use source maps

how’s dust_2 gonna help anything

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

javascript programming is great because every error is "cannot read property fart of undefined"

too real

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

change your babel config to emit native async/await, which has been supported by everything except IE11 for at least five years now. i think most devtools can track call stacks across awaits now.

at least the IE6 demon has been well and truly slain for, well, about five years now. even china stopped using that poo poo long ago.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
anyway i think we need to stop all non-security-patch development on web browsers for a while until we figure out what's going on

all the useful stuff like async/await, fetch, async iterators, css flexbox, css grid is quite a few years old by this point and the only things that have been added to browser engines since then are new and exciting forms of built in spyware

i guess maybe tc39 temporal would be a useful addition to the javascript standard library but other than that i got nothing. maybe standardized annotations and type annotations as well but those are stuck in committee hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
is it stuck debating flow vs typescript semantics? hopefully less dumb than that but i also wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what blocks it