Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know honestly, it's one of my biggest gripes with it, the shift away from weapon energy in the craft to a per-weapon thing and the removal of slot types really kinda weakened the combat I think. As well as a lot of the guns just aren't very good in vanilla compared to previous X titles. You just want as many of the basic lasers on a craft as possible for the most part. There's no way to pool more of the craft's resources into a higher power weapon, minimal reason to vary what weapons you have equipped to have ones which more efficiently use the energy against diffferent targets, because more guns is just always better and you want as many of the same general purpose type as possible in order to maximise firepower on as many targets as possible.

As I said I think VRO improves it, but it's still not as interesting as X3's variety of weapons, although at least you can fly smaller craft in fights with larger ones whereas X3 would simply instantly delete small craft fighting around destroyers. I do think they could stand to make small craft weapons a bit more powerful and make small craft faster generally though, and increase the range of large ship weapons to compensate but still leave room to dodge.

I also honestly wish they would boost up missile weapons, with carriers in the game you could totally add dumbfire rocket pods that you can empty in a run or two and then return to rearm. But as it stands I dunno if there's a reason to use anything other that turreted missile launchers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't remember which game had it, but the notion of there being energy capacitors for the different kinds of systems in the space ships, and having to balance them, is still pretty neat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think elite has that. X3 used to have it such that ships had a weapon energy generator which couldn't come close to powering all the stuff you could install, but it encouraged you to make several loadouts of different weapons which would be more efficient against different targets, and you wouldn't use all of them at once.

X4 could have done it better I think, using the modular systems to allow you to add more capacity in different areas. Don't know why they didn't do that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I just want my Concussion Impulse Generator back. It's such a glorious weapon.

In general the weapons just lack pazzazz in X4. Missiles too. There's just a lack of reckless abandon imo.

It does feel satisfying to fit a Dragon with a full set of tuned Split Bolt Repeaters. I just wish all other weapons felt like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think capital weapons would be fine with some more range but yeah the S and M weapons could really do with a bit more lethality and variety.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think elite has that. X3 used to have it such that ships had a weapon energy generator which couldn't come close to powering all the stuff you could install, but it encouraged you to make several loadouts of different weapons which would be more efficient against different targets, and you wouldn't use all of them at once.

X4 could have done it better I think, using the modular systems to allow you to add more capacity in different areas. Don't know why they didn't do that.
Yeah, Elite has a similar system, but it was X3s system I was thinking of.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Update :

Got wiped during the campaign..... :(

After clearing the entire xenon space to make a link to the yaki , I sent my destroyers to do one of those high-paying station destroying terran vs xenon missions on the other side of the galaxy.
As soon as I complete it, I get bum-rushed by a full capital fleet of Xenon from the other side of my base . Apparently, there's an entire 3 full sectors of them on the other side of Split space.
They sent a full fleet, an I , 3 k 's and a poo poo ton of fighters. Ignored everything in split space, and rushed straight for me .
All my expensive factories got nuked.
I guess some people may think that I still have all my money and can restart somewhere else, but losing several days worth of progress is enough to consider the campaign a "wipe".
Will probably try again when the next DLC launches, but will be modding the gently caress out of the game, including finding a way to tinker with the Xenon agression.
Next campaign I'm ignoring them completely and focusing on fighting the other factions, now that I know what their weapons and ships do, I can pick and mix what I want.

Still consider the game overall to be kinda poo poo, but I lost 100% because of my own fault, I can't blame nothing in the game for that. It's sitting at about a 6/10 for me . Some moments are 10/10 , while others feel like they were made by battlecruiser king Derek Smart.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 26, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Save early, save often.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sample_text posted:

Update :

Got wiped during the campaign..... :(

After clearing the entire xenon space to make a link to the yaki , I sent my destroyers to do one of those high-paying station destroying terran vs xenon missions on the other side of the galaxy.
As soon as I complete it, I get bum-rushed by a full capital fleet of Xenon from the other side of my base . Apparently, there's an entire 3 full sectors of them on the other side of Split space.
They sent a full fleet, an I , 3 k 's and a poo poo ton of fighters. Ignored everything in split space, and rushed straight for me .
All my expensive factories got nuked.
I guess some people may think that I still have all my money and can restart somewhere else, but losing several days worth of progress is enough to consider the campaign a "wipe".
Will probably try again when the next DLC launches, but will be modding the gently caress out of the game, including finding a way to tinker with the Xenon agression.
Next campaign I'm ignoring them completely and focusing on fighting the other factions, now that I know what their weapons and ships do, I can pick and mix what I want.

Still consider the game overall to be kinda poo poo, but I lost 100% because of my own fault, I can't blame nothing in the game for that. It's sitting at about a 6/10 for me . Some moments are 10/10 , while others feel like they were made by battlecruiser king Derek Smart.

TBH that sounds awesome. Games of this type can stagnate to the point where you dominate too easily and the universe has no curveball to throw at you. Due to the sandbox nature (or eurojank or just :egosoft:), this can come with no warning whatsover and is part of the, I wanna say, charm? Sadly saving often and far apart as was mentioned is key but overall it sounds like you’ve had a unique experience there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, I'd love for the Xenon to rally and start blasting the south of the universe to bits while I conquer the north. Instead my fleet is just slowly grinding away

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
foreshadowing re: Heretic's End

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They'll have to take it from the frontier fleets I have there first lol

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Mokotow posted:

TBH that sounds awesome. Games of this type can stagnate to the point where you dominate too easily and the universe has no curveball to throw at you. Due to the sandbox nature (or eurojank or just :egosoft:), this can come with no warning whatsover and is part of the, I wanna say, charm? Sadly saving often and far apart as was mentioned is key but overall it sounds like you’ve had a unique experience there.

Maybe if it was one of the other faction, but as I mentioned before, I find the Xenon EXTREMELY unfun to fight against.

I did some spot of piracy and managed to nab a Split carrier that I sent away to get upgraded, and boarding it while maneuvering around all its different turrets, sacrificing a heavy transport for it, and kiting it around the system with my heavy miners was a more engaging experience that the last 2 sectors of xenon.
They suck. They're garbage enemies to fight, made to compensate for the lackluster AI by cheating really blatantly at the game and I can't seem to get away from them. Their space stations are a slog to burn through, to top it off.

Some people who are better at the game than me could probably have mitigated them better through gate chokepoints, donating fleets, strategic trading of ship components or just not going like a jackass to Tharka to begin with .But such is life.

As I said, I am absolutely looking for a mod to pacify them in my next playthrough and increase aggression between the "real" factions. Apparently you can start wars between various factions ? (I only did the paranid one).
The Xenon are poo poo and have no place in any future campaigns I run.
Those Kha ak triangle guys, I could have had seen more of. They were such a rare occurrence to me despite me having like 30+ miners in 1 sector.

EDIT : I do have saves earlier in the campaign. But I consider it a "fair" loss, so I'm not save scumming it.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 26, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I see your point and it’s a fair one. Mechanically, they do kinda suck, though I lean towards asymmetrical game set ups these days, where random Xenon overpower has more place.

Having said that, I’ve been playing this since the first XBTF and the Xenon will always have a special place in my heart. Encountering them all those years ago for the first tine was something else, especially when you cam from either Elite, where the Thargoids were more of a legend, or Wing Commander, which had a more id a swashbuckling/WW2 pacific theathre vibe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The khaak cheat far worse than the xenon, they literally teleport on top of you and their bases are purely spawned in, they have zero economy and are spawned in to threaten miners if there is a hive within a few jumps. Also they all use beam weapons which are instant hit and are purely defeated by having more shields than they have dps.

The xenon, while tough, actually do have an economy which controls their numbers and have to transit space to get places. It is possible to wipe them out.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

The khaak cheat far worse than the xenon, they literally teleport on top of you and their bases are purely spawned in, they have zero economy and are spawned in to threaten miners if there is a hive within a few jumps. Also they all use beam weapons which are instant hit and are purely defeated by having more shields than they have dps.

The xenon, while tough, actually do have an economy which controls their numbers and have to transit space to get places. It is possible to wipe them out.

Yeah, on second thought maybe It's a good thing i didn't encounter more of them.......

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They aren't a threat if you just stick with L miners and give them defensive turrets, as they can't effectively damage ships of that size. It is also possible that you might end up in a sector which is outside the coverage of the hives and I think there is a cap on how many hives there are, so you can end up with a sort of permanent blind spot as long as none are destroyed.

If you're going to mod it you might like to check and see if you like the look of any of the alternate map mods, although I might also wait until the new patch comes out because mods are likely to break when that happens.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Question for my upcoming playthrough.

Let's say I have a carrier loaded with torpedo bombers.
When they run out of torpedoes, how do I restock them at a carrier?
I tried reading the wiki entry and it made no sense....

Can I ? :

-Have the carrier load up on a shitton of torpedoes and just stock up there?
-Assign traders to the Carrier and have them go back and forth to poo poo like my compstrate factory and constantly bring resources?
-Have some way to build resources directly on my carrier?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sample_text posted:

Question for my upcoming playthrough.

Let's say I have a carrier loaded with torpedo bombers.
When they run out of torpedoes, how do I restock them at a carrier?
I tried reading the wiki entry and it made no sense....

Can I ? :

-Have the carrier load up on a shitton of torpedoes and just stock up there?
-Assign traders to the Carrier and have them go back and forth to poo poo like my compstrate factory and constantly bring resources?
-Have some way to build resources directly on my carrier?

To rearm fighters with missiles you need to have that missile's blueprint. Your carrier will still require missile components and whatnot to produce them, you should see in its information what are the required wares, and there's a command for it to find and buy them(or you can just deliver them yourself).
Fleet auxiliary ships (but not carriers) can also create buy orders for the stuff they need and hope independent traders will deliver the required wares.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you check roguey's shiplist and check the extra large ships, you can see a role called resuppliers - those are the ships that can be told to resupply a fleet of carriers.

The basic idea is that they have an large amount of cargo space that they can build missiles and ammo for guns out of, and they bring that into the battlefield. They can also repair ships (all ships, not just small and medium class ones) when they're not busy resupplying ships or getting resources.
I think it's also supposed to be possible to have traders trade for them using the "Get Resources" order, via trade depos that you build as a supply lines.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 29, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Also the star wars mod is worth checking out because it may be one of the craziest star wars mod undertakings ever and it's very far along, even has a custom map now

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Kingdom End releases April 12

https://twitter.com/EGOSOFT/status/1641063042115829761

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

That came quicker than I thought. Pumped to start a new X4 game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh poo poo I didn't think it'd be til winter

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
This is so welcome! I loved the beta, but put it down after a few hours because my favorite mods didn't work with it and I wanted to start a new file fresh when the DLC came out.

I hope modders get their work up to date quick. I know some modders have said they worked with Egosoft during the last beta so that they could get a new version out ASAP.

Now I have to start wondering which start to use.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

William Bear posted:

Now I have to start wondering which start to use.
Presumably one of the new Boron starts! Although goddamn I will miss my custom start unlocking all the dumb HQ/research stuff.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I've been playing X4 during beta to get my X4 experience back up. drat game takes dozens of hours to remember how to play, reference documents everywhere, spreadsheets, calculators, wikis, etc! Love it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dang, im excited, ill fire a new game up with that, once some mods get updated.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
What mods do people consider essential? I'm asking for your personal recommendation. I currently only use crystal rarities and a mod that let's me buy pilot/management seminars at vendors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TheSpartacus posted:

What mods do people consider essential? I'm asking for your personal recommendation. I currently only use crystal rarities and a mod that let's me buy pilot/management seminars at vendors.
I can't remember the name of it, but there's one that adds the rewards from "multiplayer" as possible drops from killing ships.
That way you can get both paintjobs and the necessary crafting items in order to mod your personal ship.

Oh, and the sector satelites mod.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

TheSpartacus posted:

I'll have to see which of these are still necessary with the new patch. Though I know I really felt the absence of VRO when I played the recent beta, so as far as I'm concerned, that's mandatory.

Variety and Rebalance Overhaul:
Adds new ships (the L heavy frigates and L light carriers fill an important hole, and most factions get a new XL battleship class), weapons, and equipment. Rebalances the different ship classes.

SirNukes Mod Support APIs:
Needed for other mods to run.

Better Kill Credit:
You get paid for helping kill large ships, even if you don't make the final hit, and for kills made by ships you own.

Fly-by Looting:
Items floating in space nearby are automatically sucked in.

More Ship Rooms:
Makes more places to go inside ships. I like the captain's office, with its big exterior window, but it generally helps sell the size of capital ships.

Faction Enhancer - Econ Balance Module:
Rebalances economy, especially around production.

Faction Enhancer - War Module:
Increases war intensity over time. Improves strategic AI.

Faction Enhancer - Econ AI Module:
Improves AI decisions around the economy.

Faction Enhancer - Catchup Module:
Gives bonuses to losing factions that make them less likely to be easily wiped out.

Paint Jobs for Sale:
Adds paint jobs from Venture rewards to Traders.

Crafted Mod Components:
Allow you to buy T1 mod components, which helps late game when you have money, but don't want to grind.

Sector Explorer:
Automated exploration of a sector, which saves lots of clicks.

X4 Fire and Smoke:
Better looking explosions.

Faster Crew Leveling:
Makes experience required to get crew skill linear, not exponential as in base game, and prevents the dreaded 2-star wall.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 29, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'll throw a few more on the pile:

Alternatives To Death:
It makes it so if you die, instead of getting a game-over, you can either inherit a trust (which you need to qualify for), you can use a clone (if you have one available in the cloning lab, which the mod also adds), or you can be the victim of a ransom or assimilation where you respectively lose a bunch of you property or you straight up get one of the other starts in the same universe. There's also an optional mod that makes it so you can't save-scum.
It also integrates with a bunch of the below mods.

Escape Pod:
Automatically use the escape pod, but you get to steer it so you can decide where to go.

Crime has consequences:
This one is pretty self-explanatory, but adds a nice bit of flavour to the game.

Teleport From Transporter Room:
Makes it so you still have access to the teleport, but only from your PHQ - in-universe, it makes more sense that the PHQ is capable of teleporting you, rather than you suddenly gaining the ability by researching it.

UI Accept mission for later:
This one makes it so that if you accept a mission from the map, it doesn't replace your current mission.

And maybe the most controversial one:
NoSuperHighways.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

William Bear posted:

Sector Explorer:

Most of these but god especially this one. Being able to tell a ship to "just scan sectors in a spiral" takes the kha'ak poo poo down to a level where I don't feel like I actively need to remove them from the game, since you can reliably actually find the things without micromanaging explorers

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

William Bear posted:

Gives bonuses to losing factions that make them less likely to be easily wiped out.

lol, i tried these. there were like 6 xenon destroyers in every sector along the highway before i realized that they might not be balanced for the beta. it'll be neat to try them when they're updated

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Is there any way to have medium ships just stay in formation next to me and attack what I'm shooting at? So if I position properly I can just shoot at long range with my wing?
Any command / fleet assignment etc?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The variance in experience with xenons is wild to me. I get a lot of it can be random but I had to move to actually save the xenon from being wiped out in my save; by the time I had found every sector in the vanilla game, three of the dead-end sectors that start xenon had been wiped out entirely by roaming Asgard packs, and I was explicitly making quest decisions that made people less likely to cooperate with each other

although in hindsight that was a project genesis start, so I wonder if the game tweaks things to favor your starting faction a little bit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to save the north and east of the galaxy from them, but the southern border with the Paranids hasn't had any issues at all (lol the Split). The Teladi got rolled a little but kept their sectors.

They've tried to super push through Savage Spur to blitz into the Argon but I had already set my Syn fleets up which stopped that. I like how the Xenon work in this one, I just wish they had more designs and things they did (and less super-stations, they're just tedious to whittle down).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

William Bear posted:

I'll have to see which of these are still necessary with the new patch. Though I know I really felt the absence of VRO when I played the recent beta, so as far as I'm concerned, that's mandatory.

Variety and Rebalance Overhaul:
Adds new ships (the L heavy frigates and L light carriers fill an important hole, and most factions get a new XL battleship class), weapons, and equipment. Rebalances the different ship classes.

SirNukes Mod Support APIs:
Needed for other mods to run.

Better Kill Credit:
You get paid for helping kill large ships, even if you don't make the final hit, and for kills made by ships you own.

Fly-by Looting:
Items floating in space nearby are automatically sucked in.

More Ship Rooms:
Makes more places to go inside ships. I like the captain's office, with its big exterior window, but it generally helps sell the size of capital ships.

Paint Jobs for Sale:
Adds paint jobs from Venture rewards to Traders.

Crafted Mod Components:
Allow you to buy T1 mod components, which helps late game when you have money, but don't want to grind.

Sector Explorer:

X4 Fire and Smoke:
Better looking explosions.

Faster Crew Leveling:
Makes experience required to get crew skill linear, not exponential as in base game, and prevents the dreaded 2-star wall.

Thanks for this, saving it for late April

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wondering if someone has an answer for this. I destroyed a xenon defense station. It's was basically right where I want to drop my own defense station and it looks like the plot for the destroyed xenon station is preventing me from building.

Any way to get rid of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think destroyed station plots get garbage collected periodically, so leave and come back in half an hour is my guess?