Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just came back from the D&D movie and it's good.

There was a jelly cube in it, which was pretty much the only thing on my wishlist for the film (I had pretty low expectations), but it also had a bunch of other stuff I liked. I knew I was in for some fun when one of the first characters to appear was a dragonborn rendered through practical effects rather than CGI. Seeing the puppets told me right away the movie was being made in the right spirit.

The plot was a pretty standard heist structure set in a fantasy world with magic and wizards, and wasn't anything particularly special. What really made the movie work for me was that whoever wrote it took the time to capture a lot of little moments that D&D players will recognize from their own games. My particular favorite gag was the overly-elaborate puzzle that the DM obviously spent hours setting up, only to have the players completely bypass it. I think every D&D player has had to endure something like the graveyard sequence as well.

The characters were mostly fun. My particular favorites were the sexy barbarian and Simon the sorcerer (heh). Druid Kim Pine was just sort of there and her character's most memorable moments didn't actually involve the actress. Chris Pratt was his usual self so whether you like him or not don't expect any surprises there. The dialogue was mostly quick banter but never devolved into Joss Whedon levels of inane, and there were several moments of genuine emotion not blunted by sarcastic quips.

The movie also featured:

-Combat where one player is doing all the fighting while the other player is obviously continuously rolling a check to escape a status effect (and failing).

-Several "crit fail" moments

-A self-righteous paladin

-A very chonky dragon

-Cameos by several of D&D's sillier monsters (The aforementioned Jelly Cube, Owlbear, Displacer Beasts, Intellect Devourers, Rust Monsters etc...)

-Cameos by the OG D&D cartoon party.

Even if you're not familiar with D&D, you'll probably have fun. You definitely don't need to know any D&D lore to understand the movie (I have never played any campaigns in the Forgotten Realms setting and no doubt a ton of references went completely over my head). My enjoyment was enhanced by recognizing moments from my own campaigns up on the big screen, though.

Is it a movie for the ages? Probably not, but the people who made it clearly loved D&D and understood both the source material and the audience. I will be buying it on home media.

My score:
13(+3)/20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Gelatinous Pubes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did anyone cast magic missile?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Or roll the dice to see if they're getting drunk?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Glad you enjoyed it, people need to enjoy more things.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I saw it was playing at the drivein thinking poo poo going when it warms up a bit

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Yeah I think so.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WarpedLichen posted:

Glad you enjoyed it, people need to enjoy more things.

I did enjoy it. I actually felt briefly like I was watching a fantasy film as a kid again and all the old magic was there. Not just nostalgia but like feeling it for the first time.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone else still have drive-ins where they live?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

The cast has phenomenal chemistry and the script isn't embarrassed by the source material. I find Marvel movies to largely be joyless slogs and this was actually a lot of fun? It definitely captured the feeling of playing and DMing, but I don't think it was particularly fanservicey in a way that will make it inaccessible.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

The cast has phenomenal chemistry and the script isn't embarrassed by the source material. I find Marvel movies to largely be joyless slogs and this was actually a lot of fun? It definitely captured the feeling of playing and DMing, but I don't think it was particularly fanservicey in a way that will make it inaccessible.

Agreed with all these points. I haven’t seen any Marvel movies lately but they seemed to always take themselves too seriously but also have silly quips.

This movie knows that it’s silly and feels like a fantasy adventure a normal person would make up and play in.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
LIGHTNING BOLT

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I liked Guardians of the Galaxy for the same reason so I guess I'm giving this a shot

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they made a movie of it? what the hell

remember the satanic panic chick tracts if u d&d you're gonna d AND DIE

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
can you be a gay in D&D

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i think dnd is fairly gay these days yah

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait, where was the Rust Monster?

Also, where was the cameo from the Critical Roll cast and GM?

Also, why didn't the cube actually seem to cause any damage when everyone jumped into it except the NPC.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 1, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNGFb2p90k

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Comstar posted:

Also, where was the cameo from the Critical Roll cast and GM?

Also, why didn't the cube actually seem to cause any damage when everyone jumped into it except the NPC.

Wait, are you reading "OG D&D cartoon party" and thinking that's somehow Critical Roll?

Even if you missed the cartoon part, drat dude

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It was good up until the halfway mark when they introduced an elf with an enormous rack who kept trying to gently caress a werewolf

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Comstar posted:

hanging out on a beam in the castle near the start of the film, right before they're supposed to get axed iirc

quote:

they were playing pretty fast and loose with a lot of stuff, I thought the implication was pretty clearly that it would slowly burn/dissolve people on a time scale that makes intuitive sense for vinegar/stomach acid and not so much for what a gelatinous cube does in D&D combat rounds, which was fine - they just commented on it rather than showing any damage because no part of a fun lighthearted romp would have been enhanced by a needless digression into magical healing or sticking everyone with chemical burn makeup for the big climatic scenes

anyway, fully concur, film was good

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I think so.

Sorry OP, a "think so" isn't going to cut it. They either did or they didn't and I will not risk my hard-earned dollars on the latter.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Songbearer posted:

It was good up until the halfway mark when they introduced an elf with an enormous rack who kept trying to gently caress a werewolf

Nevermind, I'm definitely seeing this movie. Twice, perhaps.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nooner posted:

Someone did, and it missed, somehow.

The movie could've been called anything, it doesn't really use the setting outside of random name drops. No one casts any spells that you can't find in any other RPG, and no one proclaims what they're casting, making it a wash.

It was a finely made moderate movie.

E:

Worst part was Elf Lady, who's main role was telling the viewer when something didn't make sense.

EE:

Best part was Hugh Grant and the Bird Man's impromptu love story.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 1, 2023

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Nooner posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PinheadSlim posted:

Wait, are you reading "OG D&D cartoon party" and thinking that's somehow Critical Roll?

What? No! I just recall seeing a lot of talk before hand of "Critical Role has a Cameo" and "Matt Mercer is in it", but I have no idea what they actually look like, so wouldn't know if I saw them anyway.

I thought they might have been the NPC adventurer party who get massacred in the square grid maze but I guess that wasn't them.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Songbearer posted:

Gelatinous Pubes

:greencube:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

The movie could've been called anything, it doesn't really use the setting outside of random name drops. No one casts any spells that you can't find in any other RPG, and no one proclaims what they're casting, making it a wash.

Without being an adaptation of one of the licensed novels I'm not sure how a D&D movie would be uniquely D&D besides using the monsters and locations TBH.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Nice try OP but I already got burned seeing the 2000s one with Marlon Wayans.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Druid Kim Pine was just sort of there and her character's most memorable moments didn't actually involve the actress. Chris Pratt was his usual self so whether you like him or not don't expect any surprises there.

Neither of these people appear to be in it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Make a D&D movie with an astral dreadnought

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nooner posted:

I did

On ur mom

Last night

:twisted:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ok seriously what level is this wizard that he has so many available 3rd level spells?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Applewhite posted:

Without being an adaptation of one of the licensed novels I'm not sure how a D&D movie would be uniquely D&D besides using the monsters and locations TBH.

Well it's either that or adhering to the rules. That druid was capable of some serious shapeshifting, yet didn't cast a single spell.

There's an alternate druid class in the PHB2 that downsizes spells for shapeshift at will, but it wouldn't work like that, and I doubt they're using the 3.5e ruleset!!!

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Are we doing the morbius thing where we pretend to like it? If so I liked the part where they go "its dungeon time"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Just came back from the D&D movie and it's good.

There was a jelly cube in it, which was pretty much the only thing on my wishlist for the film (I had pretty low expectations), but it also had a bunch of other stuff I liked. I knew I was in for some fun when one of the first characters to appear was a dragonborn rendered through practical effects rather than CGI. Seeing the puppets told me right away the movie was being made in the right spirit.

The plot was a pretty standard heist structure set in a fantasy world with magic and wizards, and wasn't anything particularly special. What really made the movie work for me was that whoever wrote it took the time to capture a lot of little moments that D&D players will recognize from their own games. My particular favorite gag was the overly-elaborate puzzle that the DM obviously spent hours setting up, only to have the players completely bypass it. I think every D&D player has had to endure something like the graveyard sequence as well.

The characters were mostly fun. My particular favorites were the sexy barbarian and Simon the sorcerer (heh). Druid Kim Pine was just sort of there and her character's most memorable moments didn't actually involve the actress. Chris Pratt was his usual self so whether you like him or not don't expect any surprises there. The dialogue was mostly quick banter but never devolved into Joss Whedon levels of inane, and there were several moments of genuine emotion not blunted by sarcastic quips.

The movie also featured:

-Combat where one player is doing all the fighting while the other player is obviously continuously rolling a check to escape a status effect (and failing).

-Several "crit fail" moments

-A self-righteous paladin

-A very chonky dragon

-Cameos by several of D&D's sillier monsters (The aforementioned Jelly Cube, Owlbear, Displacer Beasts, Intellect Devourers, Rust Monsters etc...)

-Cameos by the OG D&D cartoon party.

Even if you're not familiar with D&D, you'll probably have fun. You definitely don't need to know any D&D lore to understand the movie (I have never played any campaigns in the Forgotten Realms setting and no doubt a ton of references went completely over my head). My enjoyment was enhanced by recognizing moments from my own campaigns up on the big screen, though.

Is it a movie for the ages? Probably not, but the people who made it clearly loved D&D and understood both the source material and the audience. I will be buying it on home media.

My score:
13(+3)/20

what give you a (+3) on your movies roll?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope no gazebos were harmed

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I think so.

What colour were they? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dicking and Dashing