Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a weird opposite trend to that too; some four-touchdowns-my-senior-year types are planning their childhaving on the calendar such that the kid is born around a date that is very near the 'max age' cutoff to start school, so theyre physically as mature as possible for a given grade or teeball bracket

there’s a malcolm gladwell book about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Yes, starting off with rich & successful parents is indeed a good approach.

lol true

also every other part of the family was dysfunctional boomer gently caress ups with broken marriages and abusive relationships so that family is like the one we all wanted to be in

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My spouse was put in one of those hosed up schools and they lost quite a lot of socialization and related. My sister in law was also home schooled and has quite the issues as well. They are hosed up places

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

if its just so they can be good at sport i think thats hosed up but there's plenty of kids, esp boys, who just dont mature as fast and sometimes its a kindness to put them with kids their own emotional age.

as with everything, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, it just depends on stuff.

our boy was right on the bubble so we could start him the day of his 5th birthday and he’d be the youngest kid in the class for his whole school career, or wait a few months for the next intake so he was always right in the middle. we chose the latter. both sets of grandparents side eyed us a little

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

git apologist posted:

our boy was right on the bubble so we could start him the day of his 5th birthday and he’d be the youngest kid in the class for his whole school career, or wait a few months for the next intake so he was always right in the middle. we chose the latter. both sets of grandparents side eyed us a little

yeah both mine were born right at the end of the ... interval? ... whatever, i made the same decisions for both my kids. So they're already older graduating from high school, which i think is good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nm not trying to start an argument, let the race commence

but, like, i hope everyone realizes that someone has to be the youngest in the class. that's how it works.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 1, 2023

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

my parents held me back a year because of the whole "then you'll be the most mature kid in your class instead of one of the youngest" and all it did was make me hate everyone else in my class and resent the extra year i had to spend in school. that's my story.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i had big agoraphobia issues and dropped out in my mid teens, but my last ditch effort to stay in school was me trying to get approval to transfer to the "alternative school" which was basically just a GED pipeline for teen moms and kids who got caught with drugs. i got denied because of my truancy lol. it took three more years to get my GED.

i get mad when i think about my public schooling experiences because it just feels like a cavalcade of failures from all adults around me. i also did AT/GT classes in elementary/middle school but i stopped having any interest it in once people stopped telling me i was smart for my age lol.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
my parents have told me they would have homeschooled me if they could have afforded and all I can say is thanks gently caress for 18% interest rates in the late eighties

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

nm not trying to start an argument, let the race commence

but, like, i hope everyone realizes that someone has to be the youngest in the class. that's how it works.

yeah but because of my sons birthday he woulda been waaaay the youngest. if it was only 3 months or whatever nbd but he would been a tiny :kiddo: trying to hang with the big boys. also by delaying his start a little his #1 best bud would be in the same class with him so happy days

i can’t remember how the math works out don’t @ me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was youngest in the class and i still wound up 6ft 3 by like 9th grade and i hate it to this day

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my parents put me in kindergarten 1 year early so i was always younger than everyone in my class, i still don’t really know why, probably to get my annoying rear end out of the house asap

it was mostly problematic in high school when everyone could get a drivers license except for me

i graduated college before i could legally drink lol

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

tell ya what I'd rather be "gifted" amphetamines!!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
so apparently the ai can successfully appeal parking fines (a student in england used chatgpt for that), but google maps still cant tell that when i was moving at 17mph on a dedicated cycling path in an area with no bus lanes or bus routes, i was probably cycling and not on a bus

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Ruffian Price posted:

tell ya what I'd rather be "gifted" amphetamines!!

*monkey's paw finger curls* you are now one of elon musk's children

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

another example of llm's devaluing the generation of nonsense text as a status symbol. at least i assume courts are basically mostly willing to let off anyone who writes a sufficiently long letter with surface trappings of education complaining about it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
generally you'll get poo poo forgiven or fines reduced in traffic court if you

1. show up
2. are respectful
3. don't have a history of bullshit

or so i'm told, i've never had so much as a speeding ticket vOv

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

1. show up
2. are respectful

yeah, but i expect the "be respectful" is in reality tied up in a ton of racism/classism where it turns out you'd better not speed if you don't fit certain molds.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
lol it turns out she actually has a permit and the fine was really issued in error, but she just didn't think she'd be able to communicate that clearly herself

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chat-gpt-write-letter-to-get-out-of-parking-ticket-college-student-uk-ai-technology-millie-houlton/

if she can't write a basic 'actually, i have a permit for this street' letter, i feel for her teachers

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

EricBauman posted:

so apparently the ai can successfully appeal parking fines (a student in england used chatgpt for that), but google maps still cant tell that when i was moving at 17mph on a dedicated cycling path in an area with no bus lanes or bus routes, i was probably cycling and not on a bus
When does Google maps detect what transportation method you're using?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

i was youngest in the class and i still wound up 6ft 3 by like 9th grade and i hate it to this day

yeah same actually

birthday the summer following so wasn't even old enough to buy lottery tickets as a senior

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

EricBauman posted:

It was a council one in the UK. It just wrote a formal email disputing it, not sure why it got news coverage.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

It was a council one in the UK. It just wrote a formal email disputing it, not sure why it got news coverage.

i think that news coverage understands what the current llm tech demos can do better than a lot of what is said in the media though: if you want to write text which a certain kind of person considers formal and respectful, here's a machine to do it.

like, it is dumb as poo poo, but that's the death of a lot of what the pmc uses to recognize each other right there.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mystes posted:

When does Google maps detect what transportation method you're using?

when it's creating logs of everywhere you've ever been

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh I've always kept location history disabled despite google passively aggressively disabling unrelated features in retaliation, not that it disabling it probably actually does anything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

1. show up
2. are respectful

yeah i got a reckless ticket for something years ago and showed up in a shirt with buttons and the clerk was like "guilty to headlight out ticket? 100% pay today no points?" and i was all, sure

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mystes posted:

Oh I've always kept location history disabled despite google passively aggressively disabling unrelated features in retaliation, not that it disabling it probably actually does anything

This is the most bullshit thing. IIRC you have to enable it to use gmaps via carplay. You have to enable siri for carplay as well. The bundling of privacy settings with features should be regulated.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Chalks posted:

I assume you're not disagreeing that an image of Micky Mouse that I make in Photoshop would violate copyright because it certainly would. That's all I'm saying there, a tool's ability to make copyright violating content does not, historically, make it a copyright violation.

while it is an art tool i disagreed that it was the same as using a brush or photoshop to create an image

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mystes posted:

yeah the first thing i do when setting up a new phone or installing new apps is turning off all the tracking and history garbage

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wayne Knight posted:

This is the most bullshit thing. IIRC you have to enable it to use gmaps via carplay. You have to enable siri for carplay as well. The bundling of privacy settings with features should be regulated.

just use apple maps

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

git apologist posted:

just use apple maps

Apple Maps: The Bing of Map Apps

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

LanceHunter posted:

Apple Maps: The Bing of Map Apps

bing up your maps

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Apple Maps has been good for a while it was just their launch that was rough (tho it is still pretty variable between cities). & bing doesn’t bitch at me to use an api token when I’m using one of their map layers in QGIS

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i just hate it when apple maps asks me to proceed to the route.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
same except “keep right, then keep right”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Grace Baiting posted:

bing up your maps

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

haveblue posted:

i turn off the narrator when i'm using maps apps because they're loving anmoying and unhelpful

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Eeyo posted:

i just hate it when apple maps asks me to proceed to the route.

haveblue posted:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

i turn off the narrator when i'm using maps apps because they're loving anmoying and unhelpful

yeah, they are distracting and it’s super aggravating when they interrupt music or a conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Apple Watch is useful here as it buzzes your wrist for turns and the like