Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't played X2 and I distinctly recall there being a very confusing one early in the main mission track in the early X3 I played.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Jcpqxhb9Y&t=687s

Yeah you get to be the rear gunner for a while and then it does a weird planetside section lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Cool thanks for the explanation. I was trying to pigeon-hole the different races into Fast/Tough/Average/Advanced and it seems like its more nuanced than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah nobody is entirely "more advanced" than anyone else, the terrans narratively in X3 were rather heavily ahead of the other factions in a lot of ways and had a number of technologies that other people didn't have, including the trans orbital accelerators you see in some systems, being confined to Sol meant they really leaned into maximising their exploitation of the one system rather than finding the nearest gate and having a look through there.

In game mechanics terms though everyone's on a fairly even field, though the terrans do benefit from a very well developed backline of sectors (albeit with some weird infrastructure placement and resource restrictions) and factions like the split really suffer for their resource placement and sector layout. The HOP are also particularly aggressive which makes them more threatening ingame.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
It's very in character for the split to get their face kicked in in all of my saves. Stupid warrior race, bringing a war-game mentality to an econ game.

I'd also like a more layered economy. Building ships of every size out of shoddier, low tech inputs would add a lot of texture to the mid-game.

While we're wishing; give me a civilian economy. Put one fat trade station on top of every heavily colonized planet that has a bottomless appetite for space goods. It would give me someone to sell to that isn't sending more ships to throw at the nearest xenon station.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played X2 and I distinctly recall there being a very confusing one early in the main mission track in the early X3 I played.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Jcpqxhb9Y&t=687s

Yeah you get to be the rear gunner for a while and then it does a weird planetside section lol.

Ah you’re right, it was x3!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
HOP space is one of the best places to start out if you're neutral with all 3 sides of the conflict, IMO. Early game you can scavenge the border fights manually, then automate a cheap scout or courier to do it for you with repeat orders behavior and a collect loot order on either side of the gate.

Later on those borders become a good source of wrecks to scrap, and you can sell the scavenged hull parts back to the NPC docks to turn into more ships to lose in combat.

The HOPs sectors have a good supply of all the resources in a compact cluster, so it's a nice spot to bootstrap your industry too. Once you start funneling a supply of parts to one side or the other you can really see their war economies take off.

Then in the endgame you can do the plot to form the Paranid Empire and set them at war with the rest of the galaxy for even more war profiteering.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Ok , which one of you snitched to the devs about me ranting on these forums about how bad it is ? :) :) :)

Cause before uninstalling , I wanted to try one last broken thing someone told me off a discord : That you can equip bombers with mass drivers and they'll shoot torpedoes from their full range instead of nosediving......

But I can't .... because all my saves are corrupted. Corrupted in the sense that they load, but nothing moves anymore. No enemies no allies . I can fly my ship around in frozen time, but it doesn't seem to register hits. Like Dio himself cast a permanent Za Warudo on my game.

What a fitting end to a lovely game lol .

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

Ok , which one of you snitched to the devs about me ranting on these forums about how bad it is ? :) :) :)

Cause before uninstalling , I wanted to try one last broken thing someone told me off a discord : That you can equip bombers with mass drivers and they'll shoot torpedoes from their full range instead of nosediving......

But I can't .... because all my saves are corrupted. Corrupted in the sense that they load, but nothing moves anymore. No enemies no allies . I can fly my ship around in frozen time, but it doesn't seem to register hits. Like Dio himself cast a permanent Za Warudo on my game.

How did your game explode so badly lol usually that only happens to me

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

How did your game explode so badly lol usually that only happens to me

Through the magic power of ...let's see

kingturnip posted:

I dunno. I got the impression that dude wanted to not like the game and then found lots of reasons not to like the game.
I can also find lots of reasons to not like a game. And then I don't play it.

"not wanting to like the game and finding reasons to not like the game".

Sure , let's go with that :)

Some guy on the forums had this exact problem some time ago, if anyone is curious how it looks like .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5qjJZeR4Q

I can at least get in my ship and fly it around, but all orders are greyed out, like "your ship does not have a captain" greyed out.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
verify your file integrity in steam

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I ran a 1.0 save until like version 3.0 or something lol, even pulling mods out just breaks things that use their content rather than the whole save.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sample_text posted:

Okay bye!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i dont want to wait anymore for this, im pumped to start a new save. I had really good luck last game i started setting up a trading base in terran space near the asteroid belt with several L haulers shipping energy from mercury for 1c each out to it and having the station sell at like 8-10c, just making millions every few minutes, I'll probably do that again. and then you build your own solar farm there and really rake it in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I held off on playing X4 properly until I built a new system (December) and then shuffled this down the backlog with 6.0 as the reasonable point to dive in so also looking forward to playing a X game again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm hoping that tides of avarice goes on sale and I might pick up that, maybe the boron expansion too. Would like to give it another go.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I re acquainted myself with the game over the last few days, but I think I'm done until the expansion so I don't burn myself out. I was making like a billion credits every few hours of game time and I just don't have the patience, at least with this save, to continue doing the various objectives and terraforming stuff.

I'll start a new game with the boron expansion knowing way more than I did when I started the previous game. It'll be fun dealing with scarcity again and working my way up to all-powerful space amazon again. I

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

queeb posted:

god i dont want to wait anymore for this, im pumped to start a new save. I had really good luck last game i started setting up a trading base in terran space near the asteroid belt with several L haulers shipping energy from mercury for 1c each out to it and having the station sell at like 8-10c, just making millions every few minutes, I'll probably do that again. and then you build your own solar farm there and really rake it in.

I'm pretty sure since 4.0 they actually buffed terran space even more, on release Saturn sucked but check it out again that system with Saturn 1+2+Titan is basically a second asteroid belt

I kinda feel like going terran esp. with the simple economy is too easy at this point, but I'm still tempted

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah the Terran economy is so good. I built a big ore+silicon refinery as a side-project to my commonwealth projects, but it just blows the rest out of the water in terms of income! It's just crazy, as it's basically half my income stream, no matter what I try.

...So I've stopped resisting and I'm getting the blueprints for the rest of the Terran tech wares, then diving into the deep end. The Terrans can then give me all their money, so that I can funnel it into improving the Commonwealth economies, whether they like it or not! :D

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
How do people make billions in a few hours?

Like I'm not sure what that looks like in terms of how many traders, miners, and type/number of stations you have.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheSpartacus posted:

How do people make billions in a few hours?

Like I'm not sure what that looks like in terms of how many traders, miners, and type/number of stations you have.

I'd like to know too, tbh. I can fairly easily make tens of millions per hour, but that's about it. I imagine you can only get a billion per hour with a functional wharf/shipyard, surely? I've got factories covering bare resources, high-tech stuff and foodstuffs, and I don't even come close. (Once I get a shipyard though, all of those resources will feed into it and should hopefully make me a killing)

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I know it's not hard and fast, but I just want to understand the scale of the operations. If you tell me you have 200 large miners for example, I know my 40 mediums are not even close. (And it also let's me infer the size of your stations!)

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I've never gone out of my way to measure my wealth generation in this game, and I feel like "making billions" is actually a misguided goal, because once you reach that scale credits change what they mean since you're at nation state scale essentially. You're much better off keeping excess wealth generation and production in-house at that point, making a closed loop economy without the credit intermediary, you get more control of what you want to build and how.

Like sure you can build a dragon hoard of credits but if you ever try to spend it you will grind the npc economy to a halt since you'll clean them out of raw resources. What you'll actually want to do is keep liquidity down, avoid trade imbalances so that your trade partner grows with you and that expands the market so you feed off each other.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I've never gone out of my way to measure my wealth generation in this game, and I feel like "making billions" is actually a misguided goal, because once you reach that scale credits change what they mean since you're at nation state scale essentially. You're much better off keeping excess wealth generation and production in-house at that point, making a closed loop economy without the credit intermediary, you get more control of what you want to build and how.

Like sure you can build a dragon hoard of credits but if you ever try to spend it you will grind the npc economy to a halt since you'll clean them out of raw resources. What you'll actually want to do is keep liquidity down, avoid trade imbalances so that your trade partner grows with you and that expands the market so you feed off each other.

Yeah, this is a good mindset - it's kinda how I've been tackling it, but I'm not yet at that large a scale. I don't really hang onto money for long; I just push it straight into my industry, to feed into the Argon and Terrans, so they can grow, so that I can then grow, etc. (As a result, I'm glad you don't need to pay for stations up-front! I'd never be able to hold off on spending that cash on other stuff beforehand :v: )

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive never actually played a non VRO/unmodded game of X4, this should be interesting on release

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
Same for me, money in the account isn't being reinvested.

I would appreciate even a simple breakdown though. That basic info would be enough for me to understand the scale and fit that into my vision of what I want from X4.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this was my one computronic substrate factory in jupiter, with i think 5 modules and everything needed to feed them, including workforce and all that:

I think i had about 60 miners alone feeding that, by having 3 mining outposts set up in the asteroid belt, one set for ore with like 20 miners on it, one set for silicon with another 20 on it, and one set for the gasses, with 20 miners, and then L haulers set to ship from those outposts into my factory. I liked doing it that way because then just my mining outposts were swarmed by a ton of ships docking rather than my factory which gave more room for NPC traders to dock and buy.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

queeb posted:

this was my one computronic substrate factory in jupiter, with i think 5 modules and everything needed to feed them, including workforce and all that:

I think i had about 60 miners alone feeding that, by having 3 mining outposts set up in the asteroid belt, one set for ore with like 20 miners on it, one set for silicon with another 20 on it, and one set for the gasses, with 20 miners, and then L haulers set to ship from those outposts into my factory. I liked doing it that way because then just my mining outposts were swarmed by a ton of ships docking rather than my factory which gave more room for NPC traders to dock and buy.

This is exactly what I needed, I appreciate it. How much does this one terran set up make you per hour, ball park?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

queeb posted:

3 mining outposts set up in the asteroid belt, one set for ore with like 20 miners on it, one set for silicon with another 20 on it, and one set for the gasses, with 20 miners, and then L haulers set to ship from those outposts into my factory. I liked doing it that way because then just my mining outposts were swarmed by a ton of ships docking rather than my factory which gave more room for NPC traders to dock and buy.

This is my preferred method as well. Early on when credits/ships are still a little scarce, I'll assign miners directly to stations, but I found that as a station grows and as its required input rate increases, it's simply better to have what I call "collection" stations, assign miners to it, and restrict their activities to that sector (to prevent them from running off a dozen sectors away because they fuckin' will do that the assholes). Then, as you said, you assign L miners as traders at the factory stations and they'll just go and pick up what they need.

Just make sure you uhhh, have enough docks at the collection station, (or more stations)

And yeah - computronic substrates are an incredible source of income. It's hard to beat.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 4, 2023

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Ice Fist posted:

This is my preferred method as well. Early on when credits/ships are still a little scarce, I'll assign miners directly to stations, but I found that as a station grows and as its required input rate increases, it's simply better to have what I call "collection" stations, assign miners to it, and restrict their activities to that sector (to prevent them from running off a dozen sectors away because they fuckin' will do that the assholes). Then, as you said, you assign L miners as traders at the factory stations and they'll just go and pick up what they need.

Just make sure you uhhh, have enough docks at the collection station, (or more stations)

And yeah - computronic substrates are an incredible source of income. It's hard to beat.

I never tested this strategy but I figured most people are outputting like 20x ships to do a certain function for each station. You make a butt load of credits but does this actually make the other sector economies better like other factions are picking up slack and trading more?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baba Oh Really posted:

I never tested this strategy but I figured most people are outputting like 20x ships to do a certain function for each station. You make a butt load of credits but does this actually make the other sector economies better like other factions are picking up slack and trading more?

Terrans are just starved for literally anything for their economy because it all takes enormous amounts of material, so in their case at least they'll swarm to you asap

Other races are similar but it breaks down a little more

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

TheSpartacus posted:

This is exactly what I needed, I appreciate it. How much does this one terran set up make you per hour, ball park?

it was about a year since i played this save/game so i cant remember exactly, but it was somewhere in the neihborhood of like 60-100m/h. i ended up building 3 beacuse terrans are so starved of resources.

edit: and as i was saying earlier, with just a bit of money, making just solar collector stations in mercury and using L traders to ferry the absolute ton of energy from there into a storage station in Jupiter is fast easy money:

basically as fast as you can ship energy in, all the terran stations around will buy since there is 0 energy available there. You'll need it to feed any stations you set up there anyways since they wont have their own panels. I think i was shipping like 300k+ an hour into jupiter and it was all just selling immediately to either my own stations or all the terran energy traders. between 8-10 credits each was the average price.

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 4, 2023

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
computronic substrate is the big money maker but terrans are bottlenecked by metallic microlattice super hard. If you want to boost their economy, build as many as you want because you will constantly be sold out, and be compensated very little for your trouble, if you ignore the benefits down the line

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weirdly, my Mercury solar stations and energy trade stations make like 1mil an hour. The Terrans just don't give a poo poo about infinite rock bottom prices lol

Oh well, more for my factories! I have a shitload of transports ferrying to the rest of the galaxy for me

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im interested on like, what new wars and stuff can start with the new DLC. I kinda wanna start a terrain game now but poo poo, playing with the boron stuff might be fun to start too

edit: actually ive never played tides of avarice, how are the starts for that?

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 4, 2023

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

queeb posted:

im interested on like, what new wars and stuff can start with the new DLC. I kinda wanna start a terrain game now but poo poo, playing with the boron stuff might be fun to start too

I just did a terran start to prepare myself for the DLC, it was very good. Tides of avarice is also fun since you get a product that sells for 27k per unit but it's a pain in the rear end to harvest. Haven't got into scrapping, but it lets you make claytonrics and hull parts directly, so that's a life cycle thing. Dumb AI gets their ships killed, you harvest the scrap, to produce more ships to die.

I'm very excited to see what the Boron adds to production.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

queeb posted:

Tides of Avarice biggest strength and flaw is that it's a very story focused DLC - but in stark difference to Split Vendetta and Cradle, it doesn't really add much conflict to the surrounding areas nor do the plotlines have the same drastic consequences.
I enjoyed it for what it is, but it's regarded by most as the "weakest" DLC of the bunch.
If you plan to go for a start, I'd recommended Stranded. It's not as punishing as it appears at first glance and gives you a little bit more familiarity with the Curs - one of the ToA plots.

Still, zooming around in the luxury Astrid (which still has the drat "Loud music on Save" bug in 6.0 Beta) and fielding the Erlking with its powerful scavenge hunt blueprints is really fun.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i had a lot of success with large/med traders just set to deadtater tradeout of antigone or eastern paranid stuff, had one that had a lifetime profit of ~50 million after 15 hours or so

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Looks good! But you've committed the crime of not formatting your station names in a way that aligns with the ingame factions' naming conventions.

A serious crime indeed :colbert: (SURELY I'm not the only one who does this? Like "MAJ Solar Power Plant" for example)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I named my space fuel, paranid rations, and space weed factory that supported the Palace "Wal-Mart"

Someone looted it lol, Paul Blart Teladi Cop didn't do anything about it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Looks good! But you've committed the crime of not formatting your station names in a way that aligns with the ingame factions' naming conventions.

A serious crime indeed :colbert: (SURELY I'm not the only one who does this? Like "MAJ Solar Power Plant" for example)

All of my stations are named in code something along the lines of

[Abbreviated/Initial of Sector Name][Abbreviated/Acronym of Item Produced] Which gets us some fun names like

JSCAR - Jupiter Silicon Carbide
JCOMPSUB - Jupiter Computronic Substrate
JMICLAT - Jupiter Microlattice
TXXIVHP - Tharka's Ravine XXIV Hull Parts
18BAdvElec - Eighteen Billion Advanced Electronics

etc.

I have like 50 stations or something, they must be neatly organized in a list for my sanity.