Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tef posted:

tbh, you end up stopping down unless you want one eye in focus and the other one out.

maybe it’s because of the focal length but my 135mm f/1.8 has this potential issue

gif drat I love my lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for your entertainment here is some photo I have taken that, apart from adjusting exposure in lightroom and crop/straighten, I have done nothing with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same again

I have one of those rainbow streaks filters on my lens and usually forget about it and then this hapens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

another dag

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i dont know enough about flowers to know if this is a dhalia or some lookalike from NZ but i love those geodesic as gently caress little bastards. buckminster fuller astrodome-rear end lookin plants. kickass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes was in a big dahlia garden

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive got a question for u camera nerds. i want to take some hdr shots, i have a new camera on a tripod and it has a fixed aperture. i can lock in the iso at 100 the whole time, so i figure the way to do the bracketing is by taking several shots at different shutter speeds right. if my "normal" exposure is 1/20th of a second is there a simple relationship to like +1 EV being idk 1/10th of a second and -1 EV being 1/40th of a second? or is it more complicated than that?

assuming there is a simple relationship im gonna guess its double the exposure time is +1 EV but im pulling that out of my rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
have you looked to see if your camera has bracketing already?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

each change in # for shutter speed/aperture/iso is a "stop" is an EV

so yes, locking iso and aperture then changing shutter speed is a good way to bracket for hdr

1/10 +1 ev
1/20
1/40 -1 ev

correct me if I'm wrong :thanks:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was excited about hdr but in practice i don't like it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

have you looked to see if your camera has bracketing already?

it does, but only in the otherwise full auto mode where its gonna be messing about with the iso and white balance and i dont want it to do that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i was excited about hdr but in practice i don't like it

normally agreed but im trying to make some hdris for use in blender, which is a bit different than a normal photo for looking at

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
69 pages lmao

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Did some printing tonight, enlarged some 35mm to 12x16. That's 260x the area, 16x scale, and it looks so good.

Amazing how much detail you can get out of a 25x19mm negative

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 4, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

fart simpson posted:

ive got a question for u camera nerds. i want to take some hdr shots, i have a new camera on a tripod and it has a fixed aperture. i can lock in the iso at 100 the whole time, so i figure the way to do the bracketing is by taking several shots at different shutter speeds right. if my "normal" exposure is 1/20th of a second is there a simple relationship to like +1 EV being idk 1/10th of a second and -1 EV being 1/40th of a second? or is it more complicated than that?

assuming there is a simple relationship im gonna guess its double the exposure time is +1 EV but im pulling that out of my rear end

yeah, 1 EV is a stop, so doubling or halving the iso/shutter speed, or y'know, moving up or down an aperture value by the square root of 2

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
anyway the easiest way to do this might be to get a variable ND filter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
if you can do EV compensation then imo thats the easiest way. most cameras just bracket those values anyway, on most manufacturers the button usually looks like +/-

but otherwise tef is right, either use a ND filter (which kinda limits you to two stops i guess) or figure out your shutter speeds manually. i'm not sure how advanced of a photographer you might be so this could be obvious but you generally don't want to bracket different aperture values since the results won't match

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
you can stack nd filters :2bong:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Yes, 1 EV is a doubling or halving of the light. So as other people have said, this is one full aperture stop, or doubling/halving the time value, or doubling/halving the ISO value. It's all nicely set up in these ratios specifically so you don't have to do math.

Most cameras these days work in 1/3 stops. So if you want to bracket in full EV steps, just roll the shutter speed three clicks between exposures.

However, your camera probably has an auto bracketing function too and you should probably just use that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well the auto bracketing function messes with both the iso and the shutter speed, which dont want to do. i want to keep iso constant. but anyway yeah i think i can do it pretty easily since it has a phone app so i just set it up on the tripod and click button on phone a couple times

also unfortunately its a weirdo back to back wide angle custom lens thing for taking spherical pictures and afaict they dont make nd filters for this particular one, they make them for some of their other model of camera but not the one i have. its this one and i got it for free

https://www.insta360.com/product/insta360-x3

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the insta360 x3 says it supports HDR shooting?

albeit in 360 mode, not single lens mode

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that thing looks pretty neat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i used format.com and namecheap to buy a name and make
a website

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tef posted:

the insta360 x3 says it supports HDR shooting?

albeit in 360 mode, not single lens mode

yes but it does 3 shots and then automatically tone maps it for you in camera. which i dont want. i tried a few of these on a trip last weekend to quanzhou and only 1 really turned out any good because i didnt know what i was doing. next time i do this i'll be a lot better because ive started to figure out my mistakes

only one that ended up good (warning, 183 megabyte 32 bit hdr file): https://mega.nz/file/oVAglDAK#7pD0OhKY9IlcNxkHMp2pjvJj_wZ3ctAW14cYhWX7Tj4

my main intent is to be able to load these into blender and use them both as a backdrop and as lighting data for making renders:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the website i’ve arranged has inspired motivation. the general idea of pushing forward and charging for work. impressed myself with how many photos I’ve got as a portfolio, certainly doesn’t feel like it’s thin on the ground

i’ve made a google form for post shoot eval. gonna see one up as a contract

need to sort out prices, i’ve no idea what to charge

i already have a business card but it doesn’t have website on it but that’s ok

at rave thing in going to on sat i’m gonna get there close to sunset and ask people if i can take photo and give them business card and put them in one of those stories you can save on insta and yeah idk seems like a thing I can do

I hardly have motivation in life but right now I do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

"echis kiwis"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rodphotonics

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

worked through the wedding photos i took and some were nice. they didn't want to go outside so the background isn't great. oh well! i hope they like them

ex that hurt me years ago was there so i dissociated and kept pressing that button :mrwhite:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the website i’ve arranged has inspired motivation. the general idea of pushing forward and charging for work. impressed myself with how many photos I’ve got as a portfolio, certainly doesn’t feel like it’s thin on the ground

i’ve made a google form for post shoot eval. gonna see one up as a contract

need to sort out prices, i’ve no idea what to charge

i already have a business card but it doesn’t have website on it but that’s ok

at rave thing in going to on sat i’m gonna get there close to sunset and ask people if i can take photo and give them business card and put them in one of those stories you can save on insta and yeah idk seems like a thing I can do

I hardly have motivation in life but right now I do

this is cool echi, :nice: work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man, I appreciate it

I took some photos at this dnb gig, every photo came out poo poo except I kinda like this one

and maybe this one

but maybe got a paid gig out of it, to go and shoot a 21st lol. ill have to think about whether or not its a good idea, and also whether or not my camera can pull it off

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 9, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that does look kinda cool

e: second one is ehh. needs focus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I took some photos at this dnb gig, every photo came out poo poo except I kinda like this one

one ping only.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

posting on page 69

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

went hiking at the nature preserve today, but haven't looked at the photos. i'm suspecting nothing of artistic value, but i def got some good snapshots of the boy so i can't complain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

posting on page 69

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this photo was noisy as hell, so I noise reduced it which I don’t like the end result of and so added even more noise back but as film grain. it’s still a mess but it looks bad in b&w .. just realising I should have used colour grading to get rid of the green

anyway it looks better on instagram

excited but nervous about birthday party gig. I was saying “idk if I can pull it off” but said was like “gently caress just say yes idc how they turn out I just want a photo of me passed out

her partner runs this dnb outdoor gig so they gonna have have HUGE sound system lol

may have to rent a shorter lens and maybe buy another battery. battery ran out at gig and I was real bummed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

shorter lens
echi no!!