Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If this show came out now there'd be a lot more jokes about it being written by AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I enjoyed the sexy Sauron bits, it was clear enough the character was shady and having a dude who was clearly going to turn evil be horny for Galadriel promised some juicy drama. But having him literally be Sauron kind of takes the fun out of it, if you're going to have it like that, just tell the viewer at the start. The whole thing where he gets involved in forging rings at the end didn't really work for me.

I also liked the hobbits though I understand they're controversial itt.

Elrond/dwarves stuff was ok.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

After a whole season of Sauron/Halbrand a) showing up inexplicably on the raft, b) bantering with randos in the streets of Numenor, c) pickpocketing and getting in stupid fist-fights, d) having occasional desultory conversations with Galadriel about I don't even remember what, the puzzle-box reveal at the end and the insane rush to get the rings forged all in the final episode with some "uhhhh put it the mithril in a circle, it will make the hyper encabulator flux through the spatial distortion field" babble felt about as organic as the BSG writers throwing darts to pick the Final Five.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This show literally put me to sleep, I don’t think it’s just the writers, the actors aren’t exactly keeping up either. It’s frankly almost everything as I thought I was a big LotR fan but I couldn’t finish more than 1.5 episodes.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'd like to see other shows numbers for completion rates since I think you'd be very surprised at how often people don't finish things. I think expecting half the audience to finish anything is impossible for any show or any medium (eg video game metrics always have completion rates of less than 10%)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the best stuff in the whole show was the dwarves, elendil in general, elrond is good and grew on me, and then the 15 minutes of actual awesome stuff with galadriel and sauron in the last episode. they spent loving 4 hours with hobbits where the main drama for 2 episodes is a guy we just met hurt his ankle. I hope with them no longer in the picture we get better quality stuff.

why the gently caress they only did 8 episodes is mind boggling to me because its not like its expensive to shoot more scenes in places you already have sets in, and its not a goddamn traditional tv show with a time slot. If you want to take your time with poo poo, just do so!

Szmitten posted:

I'd like to see other shows numbers for completion rates since I think you'd be very surprised at how often people don't finish things. I think expecting half the audience to finish anything is impossible for any show or any medium (eg video game metrics always have completion rates of less than 10%)

Also this, 1 data point is pretty meaningless.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They should make a 6 season LOTR TV show, one season per book. Give us Bombadil, give us the Barrow Wight, I wanna see Lotho building up his property empire.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i just don't get how they managed to make it feel like the forging of the rings, the namesake of the show, was an afterthought that they had to squeeze in.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It just wasn’t that entertaining. Which isn’t good if the thing you’re making is for entertainment.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The only character i connected to was the chesty human woman :dong:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Szmitten posted:

You won't find official figures since they aren't published, but the 50% minimum was also reported in a different context for Netflix a few months ago (not confirmed but good enough for the FT to repeat it). It's not really the same ballpark as video games given that video games generally need far more effort to finish.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Hexel posted:

The only character i connected to was the chesty human woman :dong:

I don't remember a particularly chesty woman, and I usually would. Maybe this show really was bad?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nobody Interesting posted:

I don't remember a particularly chesty woman, and I usually would. Maybe this show really was bad?

Same, I had no idea who OP was talking about, but I didn't put a lot of thought towards it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm gay and even I know he means Elendil's made-up daughter.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

No it was the Southlander lady person Branwen her shoulder got hurt so they made her son cauterize it, or something.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

covidstomper58 posted:

No it was the Southlander lady person Branwen her shoulder got hurt so they made her son cauterize it, or something.

Yeah the lady that pulled the hot elf

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Show should have had more drunk dwarves falling down mineshafts

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just focus season two on Elrond and Durin’s bromance, give us a sideplot with the stranger going east, and cancel all the other threads imo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elrond and Elendil kinda stole the show for me, and at least Elendil is certain to have a bigger role in the next season. I'm hoping for an improvement in the plotting, but the performances and visuals were enough to get me to stick with it.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i just don't get how they managed to make it feel like the forging of the rings, the namesake of the show, was an afterthought that they had to squeeze in.

This right here. And they did it in such a way that I have no idea how they'll dig themselves out of this lovely writing hole to forge the rest of the rings, which are the ones that Sauron actually had a hand in forging. They could have drawn it out for two episodes and forged the others first but noooo gotta include the weird "mithril stops Elves from fading" bit.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

So many of the broader plot points were just terrible.

The sword opening the waterfall.
Galadriel being the opposite of her text character (yes, there’s a lot of freedom for interpretation, but she was described as supernaturally perceptive even before the darkening of the trees)
“I’m good”
Who’s Sauron?
The mithril
Celebrimbor not knowing what alloys are
Forging the three in one episode

One thing I’m worried about now is that since the elves haven’t been shown doing anything explicitly “magical” (Galadriel doesn’t use a mirror or cause any wacky visual effects), the rings will give them super powers and Galadriel will be calling tornados and poo poo.

There were definitely things to like about the show, but the plot certainly isn’t one of them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

So many of the broader plot points were just terrible.

The sword opening the waterfall.
Galadriel being the opposite of her text character (yes, there’s a lot of freedom for interpretation, but she was described as supernaturally perceptive even before the darkening of the trees)
“I’m good”
Who’s Sauron?
The mithril
Celebrimbor not knowing what alloys are
Forging the three in one episode

One thing I’m worried about now is that since the elves haven’t been shown doing anything explicitly “magical” (Galadriel doesn’t use a mirror or cause any wacky visual effects), the rings will give them super powers and Galadriel will be calling tornados and poo poo.

There were definitely things to like about the show, but the plot certainly isn’t one of them.

The sword thing... eh Morgoth made a big drat and restricted water to the people of Mordor like some immortan joe. The sword opens it as part of some human sacrifice ritual (that's my made up headcannon). They really should have explained more what was happening.

Tolkien describes young(er) Galadriel as a warrior queen type. Her character in the show is not exactly wise though, and gets infantalised a bit by Elendil "you remind me of my teenage daughter, let's go on a horsey ride"

Who's Sauron. Can give it a pass for TV mystery. If some weirdo goth guy was chillin with Celebrimbor coaching him to make rings then there'd be no mystery, we all know who he actually is.

The mithril, sure it's infused with whatever magic light or the silmarils or something thing (i forget). That it has desirable properties in restoring or maintaining life sort of works. It was also very badly explained.

Celebrimbor / Gil Galad being dumb. Originally thought there would be some payoff here, they've all been hoodwinked by Sauron to do his bidding. Nope turns out they're actually just stupid.

The ring forging. Pretty sure it's the wrong order, didn't the nine and seven get forged first then stolen by Sauron. The Elves then made their own in secret to the same recipe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they spent loving 4 hours with hobbits where the main drama for 2 episodes is a guy we just met hurt his ankle. I hope with them no longer in the picture we get better quality stuff.

They made such a big deal about how this could be a deathblow to the family because how will they ever push their cart, even though Nori, her mother, and her sister were all around to help - meanwhile Poppy pulls her cart on her own, and we find out her family died, so she has been 100% flying solo the entire time, but that is not a big deal...

Then we spent ages with Nori saying goodbye to Poppy, even though Poppy is going to 100% rejoin Nori and Gandalf by episode 2 at the latest. Nori and Gandalf will be traveling through somewhere spooky, hearing noises, think something is after them, Nori will grab a stick and get ready to attack, and it is going to turn to be Poppy - but then something will attack the 3 of them, giving Gandalf an opportunity to do some magic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The goodbye scene was such a slavish cargo-cult recreation of the RotK ending it was just excruciating to watch, like a kid struggling to sound out a word

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The entire show, had it not had a billion dollars in CG, was CW-tier the whole time and I like the CW shows and this was a bad one. Like I don’t know what you fix because the problem is like everything that isn’t CG.

Special shout-out to the Jackson trilogy for having actual armor, I don’t know what it is about the production on this because they had so much money but everything looks cheap and bad if it isn’t CG.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Lord Packinham posted:

Special shout-out to the Jackson trilogy for having actual armor, I don’t know what it is about the production on this because they had so much money but everything looks cheap and bad if it isn’t CG.
Viva La Dirt League, a YouTube comedy channel, has far better looking armour in their videos.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

“I’m good”

this actually loving ruled and was one of the best moments because it was dumb as hell but felt authentic.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this actually loving ruled and was one of the best moments because it was dumb as hell but felt authentic.

"I'm good" is what I said after turning it off halfway through episode 2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they think they're being clever and teasing that he's someone other than Gandalf all through S2 and then in the final episode have him definitely be Gandalf,

... I won't be surprised :geno:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Maybe they'll compute with an AI which is generating more buzz like if it's someone new, then they'll do that, but if nobody gives a poo poo it will be Gandalf because it will create even more buzz.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

They really should just cut their losses and cancel this. There isn't a single redeeming quality about Rings of Power. There was practically no plot and every character was either extremely boring or just annoying and dumb. The dialogue was often laughably bad("I'm GOOD!") with entire scenes(like Galadriel's orc slaying class) that actually had me looking down at my keyboard in embarrassment. The costuming was mostly terrible and got they got MAJOR lore things like the Numenoreans and the forging of the rings of power completely wrong. So some of the CGI was pretty, so what? What doesn't look good these days?

When 2/3rds of your audience dips out early or midway through your $715 million flagship show based on a universally recognized IP (with an Oscar winning film trilogy that people still watch over and over again today) that is a miserable failure and you can't just chalk it up to "angry unrealistic Tolkien nerds" or "alt right bigots" like a large amount of idiots and Amazon PR hacks tried to do for months.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope that they don't cancel it and we get another 4 seasons of nerds pissing their pants about it online.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Gresh posted:

The costuming was mostly terrible and got they got MAJOR lore things like the Numenoreans and the forging of the rings of power completely wrong.

I don't remember, what did they get wrong about the Numenoreans?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think they're talking about the fact that Numenor is depicted as being isolationist rather than being a colonial power.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Im assuming the MNGA "elves taking our jobs" Numenoreans aren't from the book. Also they are apparently 2 hours by ferry from Mordor which is not where they're supposed to be. Also for the turbo nerds there's some problem with the timeline but don't ask me for details.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Numenoreans were mad about the Elves being immortal and having their own special land in the West where men were not allowed to go to. They banned them from the island, and forbid the speaking of Elvish and it led to a big intrenal conflict between those who were loyal to the Valar and those who rebelled against the Valar and ultimately side with Sauron. The show is sort of doing it, in a really hamfisted way.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

pidan posted:

Im assuming the MNGA "elves taking our jobs" Numenoreans aren't from the book. Also they are apparently 2 hours by ferry from Mordor which is not where they're supposed to be. Also for the turbo nerds there's some problem with the timeline but don't ask me for details.

Numenor by this point definitely didn't like elves but canonically it was jealousy over their immortal life not over like jobs or immigration.

Also as pointed out all over the place during the 2nd age numenor established many colonies all over the world as trading outposts so they weren't isolationist at all but more... Just the concerns of what was left of human kingdoms didn't appear to trouble them .

The timeline is compressing what was canonically like 2000 years into 2 weeks or something nuts and they are casually travelling for months in between takes.

None of this is really a deal breaker if the story was you know. Good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must say I have no idea where half a billion dollars is getting spent.

As mentioned, yeah Numenor looks fuckin rad, but how much of a differentiator is that really? I just watched the latest Mandalorian which is a silly goof on a throwaway planet and there's a scene where they travel in a train over a cityscape that is every bit as detailed as the overhead shot of Armenelos that we're supposed to ooh and aah over.

These days where literally every movie has lavish CGI backdrops, I often find myself trying to identify what even makes a movie look distinctive; like what does it take in order for you to be able to see a single still shot of a landscape or establishing shot and go "Oh, that's Dune" or "oh, that's Avengers" or "oh, that's Storks". In so many cases they're all made up of so much wild frenetic action in endless chase scenes full of moving characters and flailing atmospheric elements that there's no telling. But — the harder I pay attention, the more it really doesn't all just blend together. You CAN tell one movie from another usually, and that's a big point in their favor because it takes a lot of work to establish and consistently execute a particular look and feel.

So where is that in RoP? I would have thought that if nothing else all that budget would have gone into huge, immersive visual spectacles. But instead we get things like:

*shot of video-gamey tower in Eregion, camera slowly orbiting it; we hear a boom and there's a massive explosion that blows out the windows*
*cut to interior of the tower; Celebrimbor is walking around looking worried, a bit of dust falls from the ceiling*

Like, can we get a little more effort here?

There's more interesting prop design and CGI work in Hello Tomorrow.

My assumption is that enormous budget all goes toward payroll, and it means you can have absolutely massive casts and crew handling filmmaking feats that have never been attempted before out of sheer unfeasibility. But there's nothing in RoP that seems groundbreaking or even cutting-edge really. Where did all that money go?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Well it did have a lot of stuff that is pretty expensive - horse scenes, water scenes, choreographed battles with dozens of actual people and horses. And the CGI, costumes, sets and so on were all pretty lavish. It's not a cheap looking show.

But yeah, if you hear that it had a similar budget to the LotR film trilogy, you do kind of have to wonder where it all went. Compared to that, it certainly looks worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's an article from the Hollywood Reporter doing the rounds where they talk about Amazon feeling compelled to overpay for productions, and the various reasons why that happens. So that's part of the budget bloat.

But also they physically build that town set twice -- once on location, and once again in studio to simulate the post-eruption version of the place. They covered it in tonnes of muslin too, for the ash. That's a huge blowout cost.

Most of the Harfoot interactions would have cost a lot too. Unless I'm mistaken a lot of those wilderness locations were setbuilds.